Texas A&M professors implementing mask mandates

28,280 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
WHOOP!'91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Everyone is walking around with a video camera. Need to record this behavior.
Students who do this in the classroom will be in violation of student rules against unauthorized recording, and may face further sanction, which will weaken any legitimate claims they have. Better to file a claim using the proper channels.

Wait a tick; the profs can record but the students can't?
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

1836er
AG
I have close ties to another institution of higher learning in Texas. It's directives to faculty are very clear that masks cannot be required and students, whether masked or unmasked, are to be treated the same.

When some faculty suggested coercive means of trying to "encourage" mask wearing, such as offering "extra credit" for wearing masks, those proposals were explicitly shot down as violations as well.

Perhaps Texas A&M needs to learn from some of its partners in higher education what it means to obey the law.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Didn't the new TAMU President also acknowledge that TAMU could not require vaccinations or masks?
Gator_2
AG
I'm trying to fight the same issue at the law school. I emailed the Attorney General 3 weeks ago and have received nothing of consequence back.
Easy come, easy go
TaxLawAg
Gator_2 said:

I'm trying to fight the same issue at the law school. I emailed the Attorney General 3 weeks ago and have received nothing of consequence back.

Law professors as a group are idiots. Give me their names and contact info.
Hurricane Laura
Names OP. **** the documentation. Give us names. Let them defend themselves from accusations. Tired of the right trying so hard to get all the facts instead of raising hell. That's why we're losing.
MouthBQ98
AG
They want you to wear the garb of their fear cult, as a sign of submission to right think.
oldyeller
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Students who do this in the classroom will be in violation of student rules against unauthorized recording, and may face further sanction, which will weaken any legitimate claims they have. Better to file a claim using the proper channels.

If the instructor is recording via Zoom, for example to host the recording on Canvas so that students in quarantine may have access and not fall behind, and their management of the recording is compliant with FERPA and all other relevant laws, then yes.

Students can record, but they have to gain authorization first, e.g. demonstrating they have a legitimate need to record, agreeing that the recording is solely for their use, and further agreeing to destroy the recording(s) once the semester is over. Classrooms are protected spaces, not public streets, and that's the relevant consideration.
WHOOP!'91
AG
oldyeller said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

If the instructor is recording via Zoom, for example to host the recording on Canvas so that students in quarantine may have access and not fall behind, and their management of the recording is compliant with FERPA and all other relevant laws, then yes.

Students can record, but they have to gain authorization first, e.g. demonstrating they have a legitimate need to record, agreeing that the recording is solely for their use, and further agreeing to destroy the recording(s) once the semester is over. Classrooms are protected spaces, not public streets, and that's the relevant consideration.
I guess I get a legitimate reason to record, but if they use it for illegitimate purposes, that would be a problem.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

HeardAboutPerio
AG
Just asked my daughter who has not encountered this in her classes while one of her roommates has a professor giving extra credit if their class achieves 80% mask compliance or higher…
FriscoKid
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

I guess I get a legitimate reason to record, but if they use it for illegitimate purposes, that would be a problem.
You should be allowed to record people breaking the law without being punished for it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
If I'm a student in these classes, I wear a hidden recording device, get the goods, and then launder the video. It isn't hard to fight fire with fire. Going through "official channels" is a one way ticket to being ignored at best and most likely retaliated against. These people need to be humiliated and put at real risk of losing something (tenure).

Policy might be what it is but there are intelligent ways to get around it. Look at what the profs themselves are doing trying to force a policy that is verboten but also being careful not to put anything in writing.
Gator_2
AG
Not sure that will help. A group of students, including myself, had a meeting with the Administration who gave their full support to these polices. The rationale is that they are allowed "reasonable encouragement" to get students to vaccinate and wear masks.

Apparently threatening students grades is just encouragement.
Easy come, easy go
WHOOP!'91
AG
FriscoKid said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

You should be allowed to record people breaking the law without being punished for it.
I agree.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

Who?mikejones!

Official stance from yesterday
Irish 2.0
Agthatbuilds said:

Official stance from yesterday
Responded to that thread with the picture
Of course it was for that. In what universe did you think it was okay to post a naked man spreading open his butt cheeks on our platform?
oldyeller
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Yes, if they violate the terms of the agreement granting authorization, the student would also be in jeopardy and have less of a leg to stand on when filing any legitimate grievance.

While the rule against unauthorized recording may seem draconian, it actually has a purpose. Classrooms are supposed to be open to debate and free exchange of ideas, but wanton recording may be viewed as intimidating by some students in the classroom, and hence lead to a stifling of speech, which is counter to the entire idea of a university classroom as the "marketplace of ideas."
TommyBrady
AG
I honestly believe the football game and seeing all those happy students not wearing masks broke most of these professors. They are now trying anything to show they are in power and we still have to live in fear
Cromagnum
AG
Time to show up as an unmasked "student" in class to troll these profs. No reason to let current students suffer and gets the same ammo out there when the prof responds.

TaxLawAg
Gator_2 said:

Not sure that will help. A group of students, including myself, had a meeting with the Administration who gave their full support to these polices. The rationale is that they are allowed "reasonable encouragement" to get students to vaccinate and wear masks.

Apparently threatening students grades is just encouragement.

No it isn't. They have no basis for what they're doing.
HammerHeadAg
AG
does anyone know if the vet hospital is exempt from Abbott's EO?
Irish 2.0
I emailed Sharp too.

chancellor@tamus.edu
Of course it was for that. In what universe did you think it was okay to post a naked man spreading open his butt cheeks on our platform?
FriscoKid
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I emailed Sharp too.

chancellor@tamus.edu

Well, that went right in the trash.
oldyeller
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

If I'm a student in these classes, I wear a hidden recording device, get the goods, and then launder the video. It isn't hard to fight fire with fire. Going through "official channels" is a one way ticket to being ignored at best and most likely retaliated against. These people need to be humiliated and put at real risk of losing something (tenure).

Policy might be what it is but there are intelligent ways to get around it. Look at what the profs themselves are doing trying to force a policy that is verboten but also being careful not to put anything in writing.
That tactic comes with great peril, especially if the use of the unauthorized recordings ends up leaking protected student information in violation of FERPA. FERPA violations can cost an institution all federal funding, so they will not casually dismiss someone being flippant about policies in place meant to protect student privacy.
Irish 2.0
FriscoKid said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I emailed Sharp too.

chancellor@tamus.edu

Well, that went right in the trash.
Paper trail
TommyBrady
AG
Professors are also starting classes talking about people they know who died of covid and saying that maybe they would still be here if people weren't so selfish and that more masks could have saved them.

This is literally trying to psychologically mess with these kids.
hihozippo
AG
Thank you TommyBrady! -sincerely CVM staff (who had our jobs threatened for not masking up. It was said we would be sent home with no pay for noncompliance).
FriscoKid
AG
hihozippo said:

Thank you TommyBrady! -sincerely CVM staff (who had our jobs threatened for not masking up. It was said we would be sent home with no pay for noncompliance).
Agree. You did good. Shining light on this is the only way to fix it. Collage profs think they can operate with immunity these days.
Keegan99
AG
TommyBrady said:

Professors are also starting classes talking about people they know who died of covid and saying that maybe they would still be here if people weren't so selfish and that more masks could have saved them.

Name. The. Names.

This kind of story is specific enough that specific names should be given.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not really seeing how that would cause FERPA issues. And if it would, I would suspect that the entity on the hook is A&M itself.
backintexas2013
AG
TommyBrady said:

Ask them if some of the people that are dead were lolfats? If they were ask them why they didn't care about their health until now?
txags92
AG
oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Are you sure that is accurate? I would think that a classroom setting is one that would qualify as a place somebody has no right to an expectation of privacy, so unauthorized recording there would not be an issue.
Oogway
This is not happening campus-wide, though.

My second oldest is CoE and is also taking two classes outside of his major and he's had no professor say anything about masks being required, etc. He did have a prof with a box of masks at the front of lecture hall for anyone that wanted one but didn't have one, but otherwise it was quickly on to the lecture.

I don't know what BIMS gets up to at the vet school as far as masking stuff, one of his buddies from hs is doing the College of Science-->Biology Honors to go the med school route.
oldyeller
AG

Not really seeing how that would cause FERPA issues. And if it would, I would suspect that the entity on the hook is A&M itself.
One of the things protected is which courses students are in, and what times those classes meet. So if student X can be identified as being enrolled in Professor A's class on subject S that meets weekly at time T, in room R, there's a problem. And yes, A&M would be on the hook, which is why they would aggressively go after the individual who had violated the policy in place against unauthorized recording.
txags92
AG
oldyeller said:

One of the things protected is which courses students are in, and what times those classes meet. So if student X can be identified as being enrolled in Professor A's class on subject S that meets weekly at time T, in room R, there's a problem. And yes, A&M would be on the hook, which is why they would aggressively go after the individual who had violated the policy in place against unauthorized recording.
So if they focused the recording only on the professor so that no students identities were shown, they could record without fear of any issues, correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.