The "right" books

2,949 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by APHIS AG
Highway6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm on an email list for the American Library Association. Today the subject line was: How to use government relief funding to eliminate reading barriers & increase equity.

I read the email and clicked the link which took me to this page. The headline is "Use government relief funds to give every student access to the right books."

The right books. Who, I want to know, chooses which books are "right" books?

It's for a reading app and maybe it's a wonderful thing. But the way it's worded sends shivers up my spine.

Kvetch
AG
I, for one, can't wait to read Mao's Little Red Book and the Communist Manifesto.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
oh no
AG
probably can't use government funding or get access for students, but this is a "right" book that I recommend:

rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Stasco
AG
Maybe this book? My wife saw it at the local library this morning.

newsjunkie
Almost through reading it....excellent!
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Kvetch said:

I, for one, can't wait to read Mao's Little Red Book and the Communist Manifesto.

I've already read them. Absolute drivel, that show the author's glee in exploiting human nature.

They are good for nothing outside of being a blueprint for lazy men to obtain power, and harm others.
TheEternalPessimist
Highway6 said:

I'm on an email list for the American Library Association. Today the subject line was: How to use government relief funding to eliminate reading barriers & increase equity.

I read the email and clicked the link which took me to this page. The headline is "Use government relief funds to give every student access to the right books."

It's for a reading app and maybe it's a wonderful thing. But the way it's worded sends shivers up my spine.

These are the right books every person should read:

1. Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell
2. Two Treatises of Government by John Locke
3. Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville
4. 1984 by George Orwell
5. Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
6. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
7. Valley of Vision by Arthur G. Bennett
8. Memoirs of the Second World War by Sir Winston Churchill
9. Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell
10. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Who?mikejones!
I sent an email to them. Will report back.
Kvetch
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

Highway6 said:

4. 1984 by George Orwell

0. The Bible by God
CanyonAg77
AG
I understand the concern by the OP.

"Right" books certainly is poorly worded at best, chilling at worst.

But unless someone has access to the Sora database, there's no way of knowing which this is.
Who?mikejones!
That's what I asked them in my email.

What do they mean by right book and who males that call.

We'll see if I get a response
Jt1220
+ Common Sense - Thomas Paine
CanyonAg77
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

That's what I asked them in my email.

What do they mean by right book and who males that call.

We'll see if I get a response

Thanks.

Maybe this is something to be outraged about.

But I try to save my outrage for actual, confirmed bad things.
YouBet
AG
I highly recommend purchasing hard copies of any non-fiction book that you think Democrats would hate and/or try to cancel. There will be a book burning/banning movement coming. It's just a matter of time so get them while you can.
No Longer Subsribed
My wife is taking the state mandated HB3 reading academy and in response to the woke question on diversity in reading materials her response was similar to yours. Basically it was what are you talking about - there's plenty of diversity as any idiot can see.

TheEternalPessimist
Kvetch said:

Highway6 said:

4. 1984 by George Orwell

0. The Bible by God
The Word of God is separate from human inspired books.

TheEternalPessimist
Jt1220 said:

No.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
I am going to introduce my children early to crime stats by demographic and other similar readings. I want them to have a solid grip on reality and strong survival instincts, rather than be brainwashed drones like the majority. Also going to show them example after example of how angry and hateful and intolerant (and scary) the proud LGBTQ segment of society is.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Stasco said:

Maybe this book? My wife saw it at the local library this morning.

I wonder if they're going to do a second edition called "Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops, except for the ones that my husband's gross ineptitude and incompetence kills. Eff those guys."
IronAg45
AG
If you've got kids, the Tuttle Twins books are the "right" books.

https://tuttletwins.com/?ap_id=pepito_fdez
BusterAg
AG

Jt1220 said:

No.
Interested to hear your specific criticisms.....
nomad2007
AG
I'm almost 100% sure they mean the "right" books for each kids interests. There's no indication from the site that they have any sort of restrictions on the types of books.

It can be hard for kids to find books relevant to their interests when a school lacks much of a library.
eric76
AG
Highway6 said:

Obviously books on Math and Physics.

texagbeliever

Highway6 said:

4. 1984 by George Orwell

Thomas Sowell has to be up there for one of the most underappreciated minds in America. Guy wove logic into stories that made the complex simple.
eric76
AG

Highway6 said:

4. 1984 by George Orwell

A few notable non-Math and non-Physics for your list:

Liberalism: In the Classical Tradition - Ludwig von Mises
The Road to Serfdom - Friedrich A Hayek
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith

Also, I wouldn't consider anything written by Ayn Rand to be one of the right books to read. Anyone who gushes over William E Hickman, a man who kidnapped and murdered and dismembered a little girl and then made the girl appear to be alive to collect a ransom from her father deserves nothing but contempt from any honest and rational person.
oh no
AG
Ayn Rand wrote a lot of fiction. She wrote a lot of books and plays and had a lot of non-fiction / philosophical speaking engagements. The fact that she had notes for an unwritten novel whose main character was loosely based on an infamous murderer shouldn't have that much impact on how anyone feels about Atlas Shrugged, should it?
Buck Turgidson
IronAg45 said:

If you've got kids, the Tuttle Twins books are the "right" books.

https://tuttletwins.com/?ap_id=pepito_fdez

When the kids were younger, we did all the available Tuttle Twins books (I believe there have been more published since). They are geared for a pretty young reader.

I was glad to see some books put out by them that work for a Jr. High aged reader. We got "Inspiring Entrepreneurs" and "Logical Fallacies" recently.
eric76
AG
oh no said:

Ayn Rand wrote a lot of fiction. She wrote a lot of books and plays and had a lot of non-fiction / philosophical speaking engagements. The fact that she had notes for an unwritten novel whose main character was loosely based on an infamous murderer shouldn't have that much impact on how anyone feels about Atlas Shrugged, should it?
She was gushing about him in her journal and wrote that the jury was not competent to pass judgment on him.

That's the kind of hero her novels were patterned on.
Who?mikejones!
Update. I got a response from the company

Quote:

Thank you for your interest in OverDrive and our Sora student reading app. You ask an interesting question. If you search the internet for the phrase "right fit book" or "just right books," you'll see it's a common educational term, used by ELA educators and librarians. It refers to content that's appropriate for the reader's decoding and comprehension abilities. For example, if a page contains too many words the reader doesn't understand, then it's probably not a "right" book. Here's a short article about this concept: https://www.readbrightly.com/just-right-book-reading-levels-explained/

This term does not refer to the content of the book. The appropriateness of the subject matter of a book is determined by local professional school librarians and educators to support the needs of the students in their community.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Highway6 said:

"Equity".

The minute you gear someone say this and they're not talking about how much is in your home, ignore them.

They are idiots.
APHIS AG
Dr. Mephisto said:

Highway6 said:

"Equity".

The minute you gear someone say this and they're not talking about how much is in your home, ignore them.

They are idiots.
But they are shaping the future they want, eliminating free speech and choice.

After the "right" books are selected, the wrong books will then be secretly and quietly censored for future burning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.