It is a good day to be a Texan as new abortion law goes into effect

5,550 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gator92
oldcrow91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

cohibasymas said:

Headlines 2041:

"Texas Experiences Massive Upswing in Petty and Violent Crime, Demand for Welfare; Policy Makers Baffled as to Cause"

Seems like a pretty racist comment as well

Perhaps incarcerating or perhaps killing the violent criminals after they have been convicted would be preferable to pre-killing people who have not done anything. But that's just me.
Martin Q. Blank
So when's the first lawsuit?

1. Wait for a pregnant woman to go into Planned Parenthood, come out not pregnant.
2. Sue Planned Parenthood.
3. ???
4. Profit
plainolamerican
70% of the women who have abortions in the US are christians.

The survey was conducted by the LifeWay group in partnership with the pregnancy center support organization Care Net, which also runs "the nation's only real-time call center providing pregnancy decision coaching" with hopes that those who call in will be "transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ and empowered to choose life."
RebelE Infantry
AG
plainolamerican said:

The survey was conducted by the LifeWay group in partnership with the pregnancy center support organization Care Net, which also runs "the nation's only real-time call center providing pregnancy decision coaching" with hopes that those who call in will be "transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ and empowered to choose life."

K
Line Ate Member
AG
RAB91 said:

It is strange that this guy doesn't allow comments.

He has his own way of protecting the rights of unborn babies...by himself on a Zoom meeting.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
plainolamerican said:

I don't believe this. At least not devout, practicing Christians. Liberals simply cannot be Christians no matter what they may call themselves and they are the most ardent supporters of infanticide. Sure, women from conservative Christian families get them too.

Maybe women will start thinking twice before they let men they don't know ejaculate in their vaginas.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
coupland boy
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Next step: Outlaw all abortions.

Not a proponent of abortion and yes I also think Roe v Wade was judicial overreach. Yet I've never really taken the possibility of the Supreme Court reversing the decision as something that seriously had legs. It's been a rallying cry for social conservatives for so long I figured when it really got down to it, it wouldn't happen to preserve the issue somehow.
Aggie4Life02
AG
coupland boy said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Not a proponent of abortion and yes I also think Roe v Wade was judicial overreach. Yet I've never really taken the possibility of the Supreme Court reversing the decision as something that seriously had legs. It's been a rallying cry for social conservatives for so long I figured when it really got down to it, it wouldn't happen to preserve the issue somehow.

The Pro-life industry isn't interested in outlawing abortion.
coupland boy
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

coupland boy said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Does that mean you are but that you aren't part of the pro life industry? Or did you mean all abortions in Texas?
RebelE Infantry
AG
He's saying that there's a lot of people that champion the pro-life cause but have a vested interest in not succeeding.
coupland boy
AG
10-4.
AggieUSMC
AG
This law doesn't really have an teeth. There are no criminal liabilities on abortion providers. It just grants universal standing for anyone to sue a provider who performs an abortion past 6 weeks.
RebelE Infantry
AG
AggieUSMC said:

This law doesn't really have an teeth. There are no criminal liabilities on abortion providers. It just grants universal standing for anyone to sue a provider who performs an abortion past 6 weeks.

Right. And guess which industry is very litigation averse. That's right, "healthcare."
91AggieLawyer
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

RebelE Infantry said:

As I understand it, anyone can sue for performing abortions. Which is awesome.
Yes, I'm reading the bill now. It says anyone can sue. And you can't sue the mother, only the provider.
Quote:

Sec. 171.208. CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OR AIDING OR
ABETTING VIOLATION. (a) Any person, other than an officer or
employee of a state or local governmental entity in this state, may
bring a civil action against any person who:

(1) performs or induces an abortion in violation of
this subchapter;

(2) knowingly engages in conduct that aids or abets
the performance or inducement of an abortion, including paying for
or reimbursing the costs of an abortion through insurance or
otherwise, if the abortion is performed or induced in violation of
this subchapter, regardless of whether the person knew or should
have known that the abortion would be performed or induced in
violation of this subchapter; or

(3) intends to engage in the conduct described by
Subdivision (1) or (2).
I'm just wondering what standing someone would have other than the father.

I'm not sure what the elements of standing are in state courts in Texas (I've never litigated the issue personally), but a suit by someone who hasn't suffered any damages would be thrown out at least by the summary judgment stage. Its also possible that the defendant could persuade the judge sanctions would be appropriate in such a case.

The statute has an underlying premise that to bring a suit, you have to have suffered some kind of damage. "Any person" doesn't mean you or me for someone we don't know who's had an abortion. However, a grandparent or even an aunt or uncle might be able to make a claim. The language may not be exactly what the legislature intended and probably be amended next full session. Until then the courts will probably interpret "any" pretty narrowly.

On the other hand, given that I'm not familiar with the legislative history of this statute, those that are probably have access to materials that, if the court will admit them as evidence, may go further than I did in defining "any." At the very least, they can make the argument and possibly get an expert witness on the stand.
TXAGFAN
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Cynical me is concerned about the way this law was passed. I think the legislature has opened a can of worms they really shouldn't have opened. I'm not sure it's going to pass constitutional muster based solely on its procedural problems.
You should be, this will be a rallying point for Dems and will not pass muster in courts.
TXAGFAN
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

plainolamerican said:

I don't believe this. At least not devout, practicing Christians. Liberals simply cannot be Christians no matter what they may call themselves and they are the most ardent supporters of infanticide. Sure, women from conservative Christian families get them too.

Maybe women will start thinking twice before they let men they don't know ejaculate in their vaginas.
You know lots of people who have had abortions, trust me. It's not just teenage unwanted pregnancies, lots of nice churchgoing family types too due to chromosomal abnormalities identified in utero.

That being said, im sure everyone with the tough talk here about women being chaste were all virgins till marriage. [/eyeroll]
CondensedFogAggie
Oh yeah, love this. It will turn a good number of women against Republicans even more and accelerate the state turning blue, along with demographic changes and more and more folks moving to cities.

Kinda reminds me how the Arizona 'papers please' law accelerated change as well.
Aggie4Life02
AG
coupland boy said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

coupland boy said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Does that mean you are but that you aren't part of the pro life industry? Or did you mean all abortions in Texas?

The pro-life industry isn't the same as the pro-life movement. I believe that abortion should be criminalized at all stages. The pro-life industry is the group that fights against criminalization the hardest.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
TXAGFAN said:

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

plainolamerican said:

You know lots of people who have had abortions, trust me. It's not just teenage unwanted pregnancies, lots of nice churchgoing family types too due to chromosomal abnormalities identified in utero.

That being said, im sure everyone with the tough talk here about women being chaste were all virgins till marriage. [/eyeroll]

I know, trust me. Many of these white soccer moms are completely losing their **** on my IG feed even though they still have 6 weeks to make arrangements to kill their baby and sea turtle eggs are still more protected than unborn humans. Absolute psychos embarrassing themselves.

Regarding your second bolded point, I somehow managed to not be a fuggin idiot and jizz inside a woman I didn't want to spend my life with.

People better start being more careful/responsible or make earlier arrangements. There's also a $20-30 pill you can take. But funny to see these white wimminz go crazy and act like they are facing true oppression since they only have 6 weeks to kill their baby now. Doubly so against the backdrop of a bunch of Afghani women being forced into slavery or killed by the Taliban because of their bumbling incompetent president's decisions. And not a single one of these raving lunatics said a f***ing peep over any of that.

First world liberal women (esp white uppity ones) are the absolute worst.
RAB91

Quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to block a Texas law outlawing most abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, letting a measure that went into effect Wednesday remain in force as the strictest restriction in the nation.

Voting 5-4, the justices turned away calls from abortion providers to put the law on hold while the legal fight goes forward. The challengers said the measure will ban abortion for at least 85% of patients in the state and force many clinics to close.

The rejection marks a watershed moment, allowing a law at odds with Supreme Court precedents that protect abortion rights until much later in pregnancy. The order hints that the court's conservatives may be ready to overturn those precedents, including the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling, when they consider a separate Mississippi case during the nine-month term that starts in October.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-02/supreme-court-lets-texas-six-week-abortion-ban-stay-in-effect?
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Kvetch
AG
Absolutely disgusting to see the people that come on here and complain that Texas has tried to outlaw the murder of the unborn. Next time they look at a baby, I hope they realize the complete and utter disgrace to humanity that they are. Barbaric, savage, worthless humans.
jakeaggie84
AG
Just a reminder, all the people upset with this law were not aborted!
RebelE Infantry
AG
RAB91 said:

Quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to block a Texas law outlawing most abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, letting a measure that went into effect Wednesday remain in force as the strictest restriction in the nation.

Voting 5-4, the justices turned away calls from abortion providers to put the law on hold while the legal fight goes forward. The challengers said the measure will ban abortion for at least 85% of patients in the state and force many clinics to close.

The rejection marks a watershed moment, allowing a law at odds with Supreme Court precedents that protect abortion rights until much later in pregnancy. The order hints that the court's conservatives may be ready to overturn those precedents, including the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling, when they consider a separate Mississippi case during the nine-month term that starts in October.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-02/supreme-court-lets-texas-six-week-abortion-ban-stay-in-effect?
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Kvetch said:

Absolutely disgusting to see the people that come on here and complain that Texas has tried to outlaw the murder of the unborn. Next time they look at a baby, I hope they realize the complete and utter disgrace to humanity that they are. Barbaric, savage, worthless humans.

Just hearing the heartbeat for the first time was an unbelievable experience for us. We cried tears of joy. Granted, we really really wanted a child, but seeing that heart flutter and hearing it beat rapidly at 7 weeks was instinctually something to behold and awe inspiring. I don't care who you are, if you don't see that and think it is really special, even as an unrelated third party, something is really wrong with you.

I get possible 5 years and in prison for tampering with a sea turtle egg or nest. We literally provide far more protection to them and many other unborn animals than we do our own. That is as backwards as it gets. Evil and barbaric.
oh no
AG
Oh crap. Dem politician who ****s CCP spies and gets to stay on the intelligence committee says pro-life Texans are like the Texas Tolly Bahn. What are we going to do?
sharpdressedman
Lots of frantic grasps here at hypotheticals being clutched by those who can't or refuse to accept the glory of a decision that is focused on protecting the lives of the unborn.
mazag08
AG
When this many liberals are crying and throwing tantrums then it's a sign that maybe some babies won't be murdered by them in the future.

And that's a good thing.
Kvetch
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Kvetch said:

Just hearing the heartbeat for the first time was an unbelievable experience for us. We cried tears of joy. Granted, we really really wanted a child, but seeing that heart flutter and hearing it beat rapidly at 7 weeks was instinctually something to behold and awe inspiring. I don't care who you are, if you don't see that and think it is really special, even as an unrelated third party, something is really wrong with you.

I get possible 5 years and in prison for tampering with a sea turtle egg or nest. We literally provide far more protection to them and many other unborn animals than we do our own. That is as backwards as it gets. Evil and barbaric.

It is truly a moral stain on modern society. I cannot fathom the idea of believing that it's a permissible act to end the life of an innocent child, regardless of religious affiliation. Much less if you consider it to be a child of God created in his image.

Disgusting. There are no words.
Gator92
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Oh yeah, love this. It will turn a good number of women against Republicans even more and accelerate the state turning blue, along with demographic changes and more and more folks moving to cities.

Kinda reminds me how the Arizona 'papers please' law accelerated change as well.
Maybe...

But think of all those Latinas who voted for Trump in RGV. Catholics, they are. Fastest growing demographic, no?
CondensedFogAggie
Gator92 said:

Maybe...

But think of all those Latinas who voted for Trump in RGV. Catholics, they are. Fastest growing demographic, no?

You're onto something! Perhaps let more of those asylum seekers in RGV right since they're Catholic and all eh?
Gator92
AG

Gator92 said:

Maybe...

You're onto something! Perhaps let more of those asylum seekers in RGV right since they're Catholic and all eh?
Sure.

As long as you keep pushing killing babies and advocate for chicks w/ dicks going to the bathroom w/ your daughter, I'm game.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.