Olivia Rodrigo once thought only white girls could be pop stars

6,173 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by YouBet
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do these people actually believe what they say?
Quote:

Olivia Rodrigo knows the impact she has on fans of color, revealing in a new Q&A that she herself once believed only white girls could be recognized as true pop stars.

When "Saturday Night Live" star Bowen Yang asked the "Brutal" singer how her Filipino American background factors into how she approaches her career, she said it's "something incredible to think about."
"I sometimes get DMs from little girls being like, 'I've never seen someone who looked like me in your position.' And I'm literally going to cry, like, just thinking about it," Rodrigo, 18, said in the V Magazine feature.

"I feel like I grew up never seeing that. Also, it was always like, 'Pop star,' that's a white girl."
These days, however, Rodrigo is grateful that the music biz no longer forces artists to be confined by certain genres at least not to the extent that she witnessed growing up.

https://pagesix.com/2021/08/27/olivia-rodrigo-once-thought-only-white-girls-could-be-pop-stars/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

stetson
AG
Virtue signaling.
FJB
e=mc2
AG
J Lo and Selena say hi. Idiot!
BMX Bandit

looks pretty white to me. maybe shes part of the problem
captkirk
AG
e=mc2 said:

So do Rhianna and Beynoce
OldArmyBrent
AG
Lol. Being 18, so growing up post 9/11, she thinks we had a problem with only white people being allowed to be musicians?

What a ****ing idiot.
aggie93
AG
captkirk said:

Quote:

Olivia Rodrigo knows the impact she has on fans of color, revealing in a new Q&A that she herself once believed only white girls could be recognized as true pop stars.

When "Saturday Night Live" star Bowen Yang asked the "Brutal" singer how her Filipino American background factors into how she approaches her career, she said it's "something incredible to think about."
"I sometimes get DMs from little girls being like, 'I've never seen someone who looked like me in your position.' And I'm literally going to cry, like, just thinking about it," Rodrigo, 18, said in the V Magazine feature.

"I feel like I grew up never seeing that. Also, it was always like, 'Pop star,' that's a white girl."
These days, however, Rodrigo is grateful that the music biz no longer forces artists to be confined by certain genres at least not to the extent that she witnessed growing up.

https://pagesix.com/2021/08/27/olivia-rodrigo-once-thought-only-white-girls-could-be-pop-stars/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Comments like that are deeply insulting when you think of people like Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Gladys Knight, and on and on. I guess there haven't been many Filipino women singers popular in the US? K?

Oh, I love the comments about how things are different now than when she grew up and now she is all of 18.
annie88
AG
They want to be victims so they portray themselves as victims.

And quite frankly it's getting a little damn old. You see commercials saying I didn't know I could be this. Bringing race into banking, race into movies, music you name it, we are victims and poor me, poor me, poor me.

You see people like Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez being billionaires and millionaires but yes poor them.

They have the same rights as any other American to be successful. And the poor women thing? Give me a break.

Apparently she's so young she doesn't remember back to the Supremes, Brandy, Aaliyah, Janet Jackson, Lil Kim, missy Elliot, Lauren Hill, you name it it goes on and on. They act like black or Hispanic women have never been popular.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
DCPD158
AG
Hell... even Ariana Grande says "hi"
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
SunrayAg
AG
captkirk said:

e=mc2 said:

So do Rhianna and Beynoce

So do Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, Gloria Estefan, Cher, Whitney Houston
BMX Bandit
DCPD158 said:

Hell... even Ariana Grande says "hi"
italians aren't white? are you my grandmother posting from the grave??
Maroon Dawn
AG
Hate to quote Bill Maher but he's right when he calls out these sort of young dumb leftists and reminds them:

"Guess what?! The world existed long before you showed up! I know that blows your mind!"
DallasAg 94
richardag
Gladys Knight, Gloria Gaynor, Dionne Warwick, Nina Simone, Ronnie Specter(The Ronnets for the win), Dianna Ross, Whitney Houston AND Aretha Franklin.

Many more. Question is how totally ignorant can some people be. Still listen to Be My Baby while doing my daily walk/old man jog.

edit spelling
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
bam02
AG
Fake oppression. All the benefits of real oppression but without the hassle of overcoming anything.
Buying_time
AG
This generation should be labeled as Generation D for Delusional. They are filled with so much misinformation that is presented as fact and reinforced because it gets retweeted. The old saying about if you say it enough you will eventually believe it.
Aggie4Life02
AG
So she's a tard?

UrbanDecay
AG
Beyonc is white?
BigRobSA
Who!?
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
CheeseSndwch
If Berry Gordy was dead he'd be rolling over in his grave right about now.
CSTXAg92
AG
Michael Jackson was a pop star.
So was Ricky Martin.
Selena
Jennifer Lopez
Gwen Stephani
Ariana Grande
Prince
Bruno Mars
Whitney Houston
Janet Jackson
Mariah Cary
Paula Abdul
I think you could litterally name HUNDREDS of pop stars that are not white females. But that's not a headline that sells.
BMX Bandit
What is Gwen Stefani?
VegasAg86
AG
We're only 36 years removed from no POC in the music industry:

or not.
buda91
AG
Diana Ross?!? Aretha Franklin?!? Sheesh.
DW91AG95
AG
BMX Bandit said:

What is Gwen Stefani?

Hot
buda91
AG
This also seems like a good place to remind errbody that Stevie Wonder isn't blind.
Ragoo
AG
aggie93 said:

captkirk said:

Quote:

Comments like that are deeply insulting when you think of people like Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Gladys Knight, and on and on. I guess there haven't been many Filipino women singers popular in the US? K?

Oh, I love the comments about how things are different now than when she grew up and now she is all of 18.
ella Fitzgerald
CSTXAg92
AG
BMX Bandit said:

What is Gwen Stefani?
Aside from beautiful, I don't know. Assume hispanic/latino?
Ragoo
AG
BMX Bandit said:

What is Gwen Stefani?
just a girl
Not Coach Jimbo
Motown called and said pick up a history book.
Sea Speed
AG
Don't forget Shakira and Christina Aguilera or however it is spelled. TLC? Aliyah? All white. Damn.
Cassius
Its called psychosis. It's a place where most liberals live. That's not a joke.

"Psychosis is a condition that affects the way your brain processes information. It causes you to lose touch with reality. You might see, hear, or believe things that aren't real"
Muy
AG
Aretha Franklin says hi
The Collective
AG
If we are talking about teen pop stars, I guess white girls have traditionally won the prize of being hoored out for $ and losing all of their innocence before their 18th birthday.
TyHolden
AG
she did write a song for biden though....

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.