Are Electric cars powered by slavery?

2,291 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nortex97
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, maybe. I don't think the suit will go anywhere (sort of like suing big oil companies over global warming), but it is good to get this news out to the public more, so that politicians pushing them/subsidizing them/banning gasoline/diesel/ICE cars can be properly shamed.

Quote:

An attempt by Congolese parents to sue Apple, Alphabet (the parent company of Google), Dell Technologies, Microsoft and Tesla in U.S. federal court received publicity from a story in the Deseret News.

Via the story, the lawsuit says, "Cobalt is a key component of every rechargeable lithium-ion battery in all of the gadgets made by defendants and all other tech and electric car companies in the world that has brought on the latest wave of cruel exploitation fueled by greed, corruption and indifference to a population of powerless, starving Congolese people."

The charge is that cobalt workers are slaves.

The story said, "The companies have argued the case should be dismissed, asserting they have no control over the mining practices in a foreign country and that the families lack standing to bring the suit on U.S. soil. Furthermore, they stressed they have no direct connection to mining on foreign soil."

I am no lawyer but it does seem standing is a problem.

But just because something is legal that does not make it right.

The lawsuit says, "There is no question that defendants have specific knowledge that the cobalt mined in DRC they use in their various products includes cobalt that was produced by children working under extremely hazardous conditions, that serious mining accidents are common due to the primitive conditions and complete lack of safety precautions in the mines, and that hundreds, if not thousands, of children have been maimed or killed to produce the cobalt needed for the world's modern tech gadgets produced by defendants and other companies."

Every smartphone, tablet, laptop, electric vehicle or other device containing a lithium-ion rechargeable battery requires cobalt in order to recharge.

And that comes from cobalt in Congo.

And the Democratic Republic of Congo has gone from being a French colony to being a war-torn and corrupt client of Red China.
The use of slaves to mine cobalt is not news.

On October 17, 2017, Reuters reported
, "Electric vehicles are often labeled the "green cars" of the future but rising demand for the raw materials needed to get them on the road could increase the risk of slavery in their production, according to a risk analysis report on Tuesday.

"British risk analysis firm Verisk Maplecroft said electric vehicle makers would need to be careful as they cast a wider net to source raw materials ranging from rubber to aluminum and mica needed for the 30,000 or so components in each car."

The story also said, "The report, based on data from the firm's commodity risk service, said China was now the top producing country for about 86 percent of the key commodities in lithium-ion batteries but this was likely to change as production picks up speed.

"Demand for eco-friendly electric vehicles is on the rise."
Of course it is. Western governments push inefficient electric automobiles as a means of battling the Climate Change bogeyman.

Meanwhile, Red China runs its cars on gasoline. On Monday, Reuters reported, "Why China Will be the World's Largest Oil Refiner in 2021."
The CCP-Dems are playing the long game here, to benefit China, imho, on the literal backs of african slaves.
Cassius
Now libs will have to choose between global warming and black slaves!
Cassius
Quote:

Meanwhile, Red China runs its cars on gasoline. On Monday, Reuters reported, "Why China Will be the World's Largest Oil Refiner in 2021."

Way to go libs. We are now back in the Paris Accord paying billions to China for our climate change sins, while they burn coal and use gas cars with no sign of letting up.
Secolobo
AG
We already know the answer...
bthotugigem05
AG
Tesla (and likely every EV manufacturer) has a Conflict Minerals policy and go through due diligence to ensure they're not benefitting the warlords in DRC.
jjtrcka22
I wonder what Elon Musk has to say about this? All his gubment subsidized cars being built on the back of this kind of labor, and probably not being done in the most environmentally-friendly way.
nortex97
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Tesla (and likely every EV manufacturer) has a Conflict Minerals policy and go through due diligence to ensure they're not benefitting the warlords in DRC.

I'm actually a big Elon fan but you'll have to show me some evidence of how they pull that off at their scale today. I'm thinking it is probably as silly as carbon credits.
bthotugigem05
AG
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/about/legal/2018-conflict-minerals-report.pdf
pfo
AG
I'm not sure electric cars are powered by slavery but I'm 100% certain electric cars are powered by coal and natural gas.
nortex97
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/about/legal/2018-conflict-minerals-report.pdf
LOL, did you read that? What part of that 18 page document, which is basically to say they don't support 'armed groups' in the DRC, via OECD approved processes, indicates they are protecting the rights somehow of the slave laborers specified in my OP?

Broad platitudes on company letterhead about conflict zones? Oh, they check for compliance with DRC standards, and have never found a violation. Thank you for having helped prove my point.

Elon, as a reminder, is from South Africa, and is in no way ignorant of Zimbabwe/Congo mining conditions, nor who he is doing business with. Note the number of Chinese mining companies also listed in that document.

I'm not trying to either blame or excuse this regarding Tesla, as all of the major electric vehicle manufacturers have similar blah blah documents out. GM/Toyota/Ford/VW should also be similarly criticized, imho.
nortex97
AG
I notice none of the defenders of the companies involved (including Tesla) have come back to retort otherwise. Note that Tesla has not found ANY violations of human rights in it's supply chain. Ever.

Interesting. Makes me think there's no 'there, there' to their 'human rights' interests in their supply chains. Apple, Nike, Tesla, GM, Ford, Daimler Benz etc.
4stringAg
AG
Progs think this stuff comes from Wakanda.
Zobel
AG
Every modern gas turbine uses cobalt based superalloys or or anti-corrosion coatings with cobalt in them. Maybe they should stop using electricity from the grid too.

Quite the conundrum.
YouBet
AG
Quote:

Well, maybe. I don't think the suit will go anywhere (sort of like suing big oil companies over global warming), but it is good to get this news out to the public more, so that politicians pushing them/subsidizing them/banning gasoline/diesel/ICE cars can be properly shamed.

Funny you say that. Shell was just deemed responsible by the Dutch for climate change and has been ordered by court to reduce its emissions 45% by 2030.

Get ready for some energy pricing shocks accordingly. The left is going to force western nations out of fossil fuels regardless of the consequences.
nortex97
AG
Zobel said:

Every modern gas turbine uses cobalt based superalloys or or anti-corrosion coatings with cobalt in them. Maybe they should stop using electricity from the grid too.

Quite the conundrum.
Not sure where you got from this thread that I think slavery is ok for turbine manufacturers. It's mainly about those who think somehow batteries/electric power are virtuous vs. other options.
Zobel
AG
I don't know how you got what you got from my comment. Didn't say anything about you or slavery. Ease up homey.

If the problem is cobalt, there are a lot more things than EVs with cobalt in them. Why sue Tesla and not GE or Siemens?
Biz Ag
AG
Cobalt mine. Can't wait til they start strip mining in my neighborhood.

Would love to hear an environmentalist wacko's take on this thing of beauty.
nortex97
AG
Zobel said:

I don't know how you got what you got from my comment. Didn't say anything about you or slavery. Ease up homey.

If the problem is cobalt, there are a lot more things than EVs with cobalt in them. Why sue Tesla and not GE or Siemens?

So your complaint is that the suit in the OP here isn't broad enough?

Quote:

An attempt by Congolese parents to sue Apple, Alphabet (the parent company of Google), Dell Technologies, Microsoft and Tesla in U.S. federal court received publicity from a story in the Deseret News.
Ok, well just state that, vs. claiming that I favor suing Tesla but not GE/Siemens etc.

Again, it's about the virtue signaling those companies/customers engage in, not a specific company. One guy (probably a Tesla owner), came on to defend them specifically with their pathetic policy, but it's again absurd.

Seriously, just quit nitpicking crap. Make your own threads if you want to discuss broader precious mineral/metals resource mining/harvesting/environmental concerns.
Zobel
AG
Haha man, I was agreeing with your general sentiment about virtue signaling. Wasnt nit picking. This is a weird conversation.
sleepybeagle
AG
Biz Ag said:

Cobalt mine. Can't wait til they start strip mining in my neighborhood.

Would love to hear an environmentalist wacko's take on this thing of beauty.
Car commercial you will never see:

"Our new electric SUV with AWD can easily navigate out of the hole we have dug..."

BigRobSA
Cassius said:

Now libs will have to choose between global warming and black slaves!

Not black, didn't vote for Biden.
Flying Crowbar
AG
I may just have to make this photo my background for video meetings with the greenies I work with.
nortex97
AG
Flying Crowbar said:

I may just have to make this photo my background for video meetings with the greenies I work with.
I'd laugh at/support that. Asteroids supposedly have a lot of cobalt we could mine some day. Hopefully precious metals are able to be extracted/economically obtained as such some day. I'm a pretty big spacex fan as some know and I hope that capitalistic endeavor works out, and/or it's competitors.

It's gonna be a lot worse if the leftist 'green' fantasies about battery storage for power are put into practice in any kind of real scale.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.