Energy groups must stop new oil and gas projects to reach net zero by 2050, IEA says

3,295 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BrokeAssAggie
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember the IEA had a similar study in 2010 about how we would all be driving Vehicles powered by Natural gas by 2030.

https://www.ft.com/content/2bf04fff-5b2f-4d96-a4ea-ff55e029f18e

It details an overhaul of energy supply and demand whereby coal demand would plunge by 90 per cent, gas demand would halve and oil demand would shrink nearly 75 per cent by 2050
Clob94
Serious question--

Has there been some advancement in plastics that's happened and I'm just oblivious to it?

Because if we atop using oil and gas, we better have found a new way to make plastic-- and ifvwe haven't figured out a new way to make plastic-- then we are f***img stupid for doing this.
ProgN
CrazyRichAggie said:

I remember the IEA had a similar study in 2010 about how we would all be driving Vehicles powered by Natural gas by 2030.

It details an overhaul of energy supply and demand whereby coal demand would plunge by 90 per cent, gas demand would halve and oil demand would shrink nearly 75 per cent by 2050

The only benefit to this scenario is that it would lead to starvation and progressives would die off in huge numbers. They'd also die in extremely cold winters or bake to death in hot summers because most don't know how to survive on their own. I say **** it, shut it all down and then the survivors can fire things back up when they've all died off.
FCBlitz
I wonder which rogue, foreign oil and gas companies that are heavy contributors to Marxist groups across the globe will benefit heavily from this.
itsyourboypookie
Next, lumber companies will have to produce lumber with no trees.

I'm 37. When I was in 1st grade they taught us there would be no rainforest in 15 years because of paper.

Also acid rain was going to kill us all and the hole in the ozone was set to cook us.

What happened to all those theories that made it into Texas classrooms?
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

I wonder which rogue, foreign oil and gas companies that are heavy contributors to Marxist groups across the globe will benefit heavily from this.
I know of one guy who will...

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Also acid rain was going to kill us all and the hole in the ozone was set to cook us.

Looks like the science guys took care of it and we are on the mend. I'm sure their modeling is just as good as that climate change stuff too.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/environment/whatever-happened-to-the-hole-in-the-ozone-layer

Also, NASA sez no cooking, but actually cooling some. Seems the story isn't consistent. Surprising.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/15/is-the-ozone-hole-causing-climate-change/
dcowboy808
AG
Clob94 said:

Serious question--

Has there been some advancement in plastics that's happened and I'm just oblivious to it?

Because if we atop using oil and gas, we better have found a new way to make plastic-- and ifvwe haven't figured out a new way to make plastic-- then we are f***img stupid for doing this.

Do you even recycle bro?
BMX Bandit
Seems like a wasted effort given we only have about 7 years left until works ends per Beto
Flying Crowbar
AG
or lubricants, or fertilizer, or etc.

Petroleum is used in a lot more than fuel and plastics.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Next, lumber companies will have to produce lumber with no trees.

I'm 37. When I was in 1st grade they taught us there would be no rainforest in 15 years because of paper.

What happened to all those theories that made it into Texas classrooms?
or the hockey stick graph, polar bears drowning and all of the glaciers disappearing. You can only watch so many "projections" turn out to be completely wrong by the government before you begin to question everything they say.

And I don't think the average person understands how much of our daily lives involve the use of products that are made from oil and gas ... so dumb
MouthBQ98
AG
The progressive leftists have been duped by global warming paranoia in the exact same fashion they were duped by CoVID paranoia. Vast overreaction and systematic inflation of the actual threat by an order of magnitude or more in their minds. They literally don't perceive reality, only a narrative they need to drive their emotions.
ChAg1799
AG
This was created in 1957, and we have 65 years of advancement since...

It's never been 100% about the environment, sure a tad here and there, but its mainly about control.
rgag12
AG
Too late, just started setting up several more frac pads on our land.
ChemEAg08
AG
Clob94 said:

Serious question--

Short answer is no, there is currently no viable replacement for ethane/propane/others (which come from natural gas splitting and refineries) to make plastics.

There are concerted efforts at plastic recycling (I.e. breaking down the carbon chains like so that they can be reused in plastics/fuels/etc), which may be an interesting solution if economically viable. Carbon molecules are going to be needed make plastics, lubricants, solvents, etc and until someone figures out how to get it outta CO2 cost effectively, it'll likely be from natural gas and oil.
Tom Doniphon
I'm 47.... when I was a kid, they taught us that the sun was gonna kill us all because of hair spray. The power hungry nuts are persistent.
goatchze
AG
dcowboy808 said:

Clob94 said:

Serious question--

Do you even recycle bro?
Recycling plastics is something people do to "feel good". It costs more, has a higher "CO2 footprint", and in reality, just gets shipped to China.

The reality of recycling plastic is that it doesn't work.
Aggie521
AG
ChAg1799 said:

This was created in 1957, and we have 65 years of advancement since...

It's never been 100% about the environment, sure a tad here and there, but its mainly about control.

The general public is soooooo oblivious to the byproducts of crude oil.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
But if you don't recycle plastic, you hate turtles, seagulls, and the ocean. Only our efforts to recycle plastic in the US can stop the plastic pollution from the Yangtze River from making its way into the Pacific.
Cassius
goatchze said:

dcowboy808 said:

Clob94 said:

Serious question--

Do you even recycle bro?
Recycling plastics is something people do to "feel good". It costs more, has a higher "CO2 footprint", and in reality, just gets shipped to China.

I believe China stopped accepting our plastic garbage a few years ago. It now gets shipped to 3rd world nations, such as Malaysia, where its dumped on their land.

That's why I quit recycling years ago. I painted the top of my recycle bin to black (it was blue), and now put it out as regular garbage.

eta: here is a link on China:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/we-cant-send-plastic-to-china-anymore-what-happens-to-our-recyclables-now/2019/11/25/ce76d020-065a-11ea-8292-c46ee8cb3dce_story.html

Quote:

In January 2018, the United States got a little worse at recycling. China used to buy 700,000 tons of plastic alone from us every year, to make into new products. Then the country stopped buying almost all our recyclables. Suddenly, our bottles, cans and newspapers had nowhere to go.

BigOil
AG
If you think gasoline is expensive now...

Instead of making $90K Tesla's affordable for all, they will manipulate ICE vehicles to cost $150K to operate.

What a (green) deal!
TXTransplant
ChemEAg08 said:

Clob94 said:

Serious question--

Short answer is no, there is currently no viable replacement for ethane/propane/others (which come from natural gas splitting and refineries) to make plastics.

There are concerted efforts at plastic recycling (I.e. breaking down the carbon chains like so that they can be reused in plastics/fuels/etc), which may be an interesting solution if economically viable. Carbon molecules are going to be needed make plastics, lubricants, solvents, etc and until someone figures out how to get it outta CO2 cost effectively, it'll likely be from natural gas and oil.

This is corrrect. To expand on it a little bit, here are the "options" for "renewable" plastics.

Bio-based plastics: These are plastics basically made from sugar cane, which isn't necessarily "good" for the environment. Plenty of rain forests have been sacrificed in favor of sugar cane farms. Anytime you use a biomass-based feedstock, there is also a lot of waste because certain components like lignin are pretty much still unusable. In theory, you can make just about any plastic from biomass, but some plastics are more heavily favored over others. And not just any plastic is a good substitute for polyethylene.

Mechanical recycling: This is only applicable for certain plastics and specific applications. Plastics cannot be recycled an infinite number of times because the mechanical properties of the material start to degrade. Also, mechanically recycled plastics are not allowed in certain applications (ie, some food packaging and medical devices).

Chemical recycling: This method relies on chemically breaking down plastics like polyethylene and polystyrene into their "building block" components. For example, you can use a solvent to break down polystyrene and the resulting mixture can be reused to make more polymer. Polyethylene can be heated to high temps (in a process called pyrolysis), which breaks the polymer compound into a mixture of carbon compounds that can be separated into various fractions (light gases, naphtha, oils, and waxes) and put back into a refinery or chemical plant.

The problem with mechanical and chemical recycling (and bio based material, if you want to utilize waste biomass feedstock) is feedstock logistics and transportation.

Plastic waste (and waste biomass) isn't nearly as energy dense as crude oil or even natural gas. You also have the issue of trying to collect waste materials (if you're talking residential waste, this is no small feat), and transporting the waste to large processing facilities where they can be sorted and then pyrolyzed. The facilities have to be large to be economical. Pyrolysis also consumes a lot of energy, and the "environmentalists" don't like that, either.

As it stands right now, collecting and processing waste plastic is expensive and inefficient.

Ultimately, in all of these options, you will have so supplement to some degree with virgin, fossil-based plastics.

You also have a very vocal movement in Europe saying that they will not accept chemical recycling because it still relies on fossil fuels. They don't seem to be satisfied that chemical recycling will reduce the consumption of fossil fuels; they want to eliminate the use of them completely. Also, they don't seem to understand that existing plastics can not be recycled an infinite number of times.

Also, certain biobased plastics, depending on how they are made, are just as bad for the environment if they just end up in landfills or the ocean. Polyethylene doesn't degrade any better if it's made from sugar cane or natural gas.
Ag87H2O
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

The progressive leftists have been duped by global warming paranoia in the exact same fashion they were duped by CoVID paranoia. Vast overreaction and systematic inflation of the actual threat by an order of magnitude or more in their minds. They literally don't perceive reality, only a narrative they need to drive their emotions.
I think this describes the "useful idiots" very well.

On the other hand, those on the left driving the agenda knowingly create these narratives because they understand it will feed these paranoid insecurities and allow them to control the population. What's sad is that they don't even have to force it on most folks any longer. The naive, gullible, fearful masses beg for it.

How far we have drifted from rugged individualism and self reliance. It's a sad outcome of sixty years of conditioned dependence resulting from our citizens embracing the Democrat/left welfare state.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Cassius said:

goatchze said:

dcowboy808 said:

Clob94 said:

Serious question--

Do you even recycle bro?

I believe China stopped accepting our plastic garbage a few years ago. It now gets shipped to 3rd world nations, such as Malaysia, where its dumped on their land.

That's why I quit recycling years ago. I painted the top of my recycle bin to black (it was blue), and now put it out as regular garbage.
In the late 1990s I worked for the Round Rock based computer company. They had given everybody a recycle bin to put under their desk.

I took a job that required me to work many long hours and late nights. So I was there when the cleaning staff came by at night to empty the waste bins and the recycle bins.

Turns out, they just dump everything into the same garbage. But if you only work day shift, at least you can feel good about recycling.

After that job, I moved to Denver and spent six weeks working at a company in Boulder (a dot.com start up in 2000). At that company, I literally got yelled at in the break room for throwing an aluminium can in the regular garbage.

I didn't have the heart to ask the lady if she worked there late at night to make sure they actually recycled and didn't just dump the recycle bin in tge trash.

These are the are the same people who became Mask Karens twenty years later.
Buying_time
AG
My experience has also been with local land disposal costs impacting local recycle options. In the Northeast, land fill cost is high, therefore recycle options are typically more available. In areas where land full costs are low, the margins are too thin and recycle options are reduced.

Spudman
AG
Great information. Thanks for posting.
chimpanzee
HollywoodBQ said:

These are the are the same people who became Mask Karens twenty years later.

Spot on.

People would like to believe that they are doing something that doesn't really require much on their part, but still places them on the side of the angels tilting the world toward cosmically just outcomes.
rocky the dog
AG
Life without petroleum...

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
4stringAg
AG
Ag87H2O said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I think this describes the "useful idiots" very well.

On the other hand, those on the left driving the agenda knowingly create these narratives because they understand it will feed these paranoid insecurities and allow them to control the population. What's sad is that they don't even have to force it on most folks any longer. The naive, gullible, fearful masses beg for it.

How far we have drifted from rugged individualism and self reliance. It's a sad outcome of sixty years of conditioned dependence resulting from our citizens embracing the Democrat/left welfare state.
The biggest thing now is you have a bunch of corporations buying into it and becoming woke. One of the shipping companies, maybe FedEx or UPS, just announced an initiative to be fully off a gas truck fleet by 2040. I imagine Amazon will do the same given how leftist they lean. Even being 20 years out from that, not sure how possible something like that actually is without major investment in electrical infrastructure which I'm sure these companies will be lobbying Wash DC hard for, and the jet fleet will still run on fuel. But the fact that large corps are jumping on this train to me shows that they see the progs winning this particular issue.

I also wonder about the capabilities of lithium batteries which I believe most rechargeable things have to have. I'm relatively ignorant on the subject but have heard that lithium extraction is not overly "environmentally friendly" and I wonder the supplies available.

Means prices for everything will skyrocket as this **** show gets going.
fixer
Clob94 said:

Serious question--

All the plastic in Teslas have to come from somewhere.
rab79
AG
well you will know that recycling works when salvage yards will pay you for plastic, like they do for iron brass copper and aluminum.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
rab79
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Does no one else remember grandma ann and her decree that state agency vehicles would all (or mostly all) run on CNG? Yeah that didn't work well at all.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
buzzardb267
AG
How are you going to make those "plastic" electric vehicles without petroleum?
"ROGER - OUT"
Gunny456
titan
S

Fed govt gone by 2050 would probably be better.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.