Memphis Mississippi River Bridge

2,183 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EMY92
lcraggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the crack in the bridge spanning the Mississippi River in Memphis. This has shut down I-40 in Memphis. The millions of tax payer dollars used to inspect and repair the bridge obviously were not used correctly.

How do they fix this? Would this cause weaken supports in other areas of the bridge?

Rangers Lead the Way, NSDQ

WBBQ74
AG
I bet I know what is on the cover of next month's ASCE magazine.
Not a Bot
AG
Those are some crazy pictures. A lot of conversation already taking place here:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3199065/last#last
lcraggie
AG
Captain--thank you. I was on my phone posting and did not see the previous post. thank you for letting me know it is there.
Rangers Lead the Way, NSDQ

FCBlitz
Duct tape and bailing wire! She be good as new.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
All we need is another multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill. I am sure THIS time it will be fixed.
EMY92
AG
I don't have a problem with money going to infrastructure projects. Unfortunately, the current proposal only has a few pennies out of each dollar marked for actual infrastructure projects.

Welfare isn't infrastructure. Childcare isn't infrastructure. Art projects aren't infrastructure. Battling "systemic racism" isn't infrastructure.
Clob94
You know how you hear people say "they don't make em like they used to?".

Can't wait to see how many months these new bridges last.
sam callahan
All these duct tape and baling wire comments are not helpful.

This is a serious situation.

Obviously, it needs JB Weld
Cassius
EMY92 said:

I don't have a problem with money going to infrastructure projects. Unfortunately, the current proposal only has a few pennies out of each dollar marked for actual infrastructure projects.

Welfare isn't infrastructure. Childcare isn't infrastructure. Art projects aren't infrastructure. Battling "systemic racism" isn't infrastructure.

Remember the almost $1 trillion that Obama was supposed to spend on infrastructure, ie shovel ready jobs, that ended up going to green energy boondoggles to reward his donors? He even admitted that it was a failure.

It will be wasted.
Sid Farkas
AG
Germans bombed it from the moon
vmiaptetr
AG
richardag
FCBlitz said:

Duct tape and bailing wire! She be good as new.
You must have been a fan of The Red Green show.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
BigRobSA
Cassius said:

EMY92 said:

Remember the almost $1 trillion that Obama was supposed to spend on infrastructure, ie shovel ready jobs, that ended up going to green energy boondoggles to reward his donors? He even admitted that it was a failure.

It will be wasted.
A lot of that went into new signage for old projects taking ownership.

Between that, and "green" projects, there was only $3.50 left for actual infrastructure repairs.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
YouBet
AG
It's just a flesh wound.
BQ78
AG
Probably Chinese steel.

Is that racist? Was I racist? Sorry.
agdad4x
a couple of oil field welders i know could have that thing fixed in an hour or so
93MarineHorn
Anybody get that old tune "Memphis Marie" by Johnny Rivers stuck in their head while reading this thread?
Sully Dog
Let me guess. Chinese steel
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
EMY92
AG
Bridge was built long before we started importing Chinese steel.

Also, government projects like that usually have a buy American clause. Depending on the definition, that would include countries with trade deals (NATO, S. Korea, Japan, etc.). The other counties that I've seen allowed on government projects produce high quality steel. Many are dimensionally superior to US steel due to newer facilities. US steel production usually occurs in very old factories. That said, US steel is quality steel.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.