DC Statehood Insanity

5,602 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slyfox07
Slyfox07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Washington DC to become "Washington, Douglass Commonwealth"?

If House Dems and Biden get their way.

I cannot believe how incredibly brazen the left has become.

Link
Artorias
AG
Gotta give it to the Dems, when they have control they take full advantage of it. Wish Rs weren't so passive when they had power.
fixer
Might as well name it Georgefloydesota
Shooter McGavin
AG
Artorias said:

Gotta give it to the Dems, when they have control they take full advantage of it. Wish Rs weren't so passive when they had power.
Problem is, a third of them are closet Dems
Sid Farkas
AG
the gloves gotta come off if this passes...all bets are off
Clob94
Cool.

Straight up trade. Like the Big 12. You get DC, Texas gets to leave.

50 + 1 - 1
Slyfox07
AG
How ****ing arrogant to assume that they have the prerogative to rename the nation's capital with the slimmest of legislative majorities.

Absolute insanity.
pacecar02
live

OKCAg2002
AG
Quote:

"Hopefully at some point in time, the people themselves will say to the United States Senate ... it is undemocratic [and] it is un-American to have the minority hold the majority hostage," Hoyer said of the filibuster. "Our strategy is to pass good bills ... and hope the Senate, through the majority vote, will enact the people's will."
BMX Bandit
slyfox07 said:

How ****ing arrogant to assume that they have the prerogative to rename the nation's capital with the slimmest of legislative majorities.

Absolute insanity.

The capital name would not change. It would still be Washington DC

This name they came up with for the new state (which won't happen now, but sadly likely inevitable) is turrible
Old Sarge
AG
Clob94 said:

Cool.

Straight up trade. Like the Big 12. You get DC, Texas gets to leave.

50 + 1 - 1

No sir. As much as they claim to hate Oil and Gas, they want/need the $$$ that hated resource brings. How else they gonna pay off all their crony buddies? They'll hold on to Texas, like Texans will their guns. An impasse, of sorts.
Slyfox07
AG
They're changing what "DC" Stands for...

Because of wokeness
BMX Bandit
In the new state, yes. In he nations capital, it would still be District of Columbia
MEENAGGIE09
AG
I hope for the best...

But it appears we have truly begun the long, slow march towards tyranny.

Unfortunately we are all too distracted by life and the pursuit of material comforts that we will fail to take the steps necessary to secure freedom for our future, and the future of our children.

It will be a soft totalitarian regime at first, one that is welcomed with open arms initially by the masses.

Eventually though, when the inevitable comes to pass and the money and innovation all dry up, boots will meet faces. At least they will eventually be successful in eradicating obesity and its associated health issues.
Slyfox07
AG
Seems like an obvious solution is to just make the actual federal buildings the "Capital", and divide the rest of the territory up and give it back to Maryland and Virginia. Making the capital a state is blatantly unconstitutional.

Blue states will get that much bluer...but at least there won't be two new deep blue senate seats
4stringAg
AG
They are doing everything those of us who opposed them feared they would. And Hoyer can kiss my ass with his "will of the people" garbage. A slim majority in the House and virtual tie in the Senate. I didn't hear any talk out of his old ass mouth about the filibuster being "undemocratic" in years past. They are doing this for one reason only: to get the two extra Senators that they know will never be anything but Democrats.
Slyfox07
AG
4stringAg said:

They are doing everything those of us who opposed them feared they would. And Hoyer can kiss my ass with his "will of the people" garbage. A slim majority in the House and virtual tie in the Senate. I didn't hear any talk out of his old ass mouth about the filibuster being "undemocratic" in years past. They are doing this for one reason only: to get the two extra Senators that they know will never be anything but Democrats.
I think DC voted democrat like 9 to 1 in this last election.
AgNav93
AG
We're witnessing a full take over.
BMX Bandit
But then MD & VA vote to let that returned area be a new state and we are back to where we started, but with no constitutional arguments against it
AG81xx
AG
slyfox07 said:

Seems like an obvious solution is to just make the actual federal buildings the "Capital", and divide the rest of the territory up and give it back to Maryland and Virginia. Making the capital a state is blatantly unconstitutional.

Blue states will get that much bluer...but at least there won't be two new deep blue senate seats

The end game isn't to give the 700,000 people representation, it's to gain 2 senate seats. Dividing the people between Virginia and Maryland doesn't accomplish that. Hopefully will go nowhere.
Slyfox07
AG
We all know that, but that isn't what they're saying. They're saying it's about representing 700,000 people (that choose to live there, btw)

Offer them this solution and make them admit they want senate seats.
IslanderAg04
Maryland will not approve it as it's still a part of their state. This would open a can of worms as why cant any other city become it's own state. Statehood was performed as annexation.
titan
S

Save costs on changing symbols. Texas or Florida leaves, and DC takes its place. That way the stars can stay 50.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
AG81xx
AG
My point was they don't want an obvious solution, they could care less about the 700,000. Only want power. Will media call them out on it....doubt it.
BMX Bandit
IslanderAg04 said:

Maryland will not approve it as it's still a part of their state. This would open a can of worms as why cant any other city become it's own state. Statehood was performed as annexation.

Huh? It's not part of Maryland. It was, but not anymore.

As for what Maryland would do, 22 state AGs wrote Biden as to why this would be unconstitutional. Maryland wasn't one of them.
titan
S
AG81xx said:

slyfox07 said:

The end game isn't to give the 700,000 people representation, it's to gain 2 senate seats. Dividing the people between Virginia and Maryland doesn't accomplish that. Hopefully will go nowhere.
Well if that's the only thing, Texas existing arrangement provides for the option of a five way split. We could create four more Senators on our own if we want with no disruption.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Slyfox07
AG
titan said:

Save costs on changing symbols. Texas or Florida leaves, and DC takes its place. That way the stars can stay 50.
Why do people still think states can leave?

This is literally why they fought the civil war. The states that tried to leave were forcibly conquered and brought back under fed control.
aggiehawg
AG
slyfox07 said:

Or let DC residents vote in the Maryland Senate race. Then they have representation in the Senate. Porblem solved.
Quito
AG
Bidengrad
titan
S
slyfox07 said:

titan said:

Why do people still think states can leave?

This is literally why they fought the civil war. The states that tried to leave were forcibly conquered and brought back under fed control.
That's just force makes right. Not an AMERICAN concept.

It needs to be rejected.
FrioAg 00:
Slyfox07
AG
The precedent was set, and in the aftermath the supreme court upheld the union as "indestructible" in 1868
GAC06
AG
Virgina already got their part back. They wouldn't get any that Maryland gave up, but that's not much crazier than D.C. statehood to begin with
titan
S
slyfox07 said:

The precedent was set.
Not it wasn't. That's school talk.

History shows precedents are reset and remade every year, every decade, every century.

There were three Carthaginian-Rome Wars. The second didn't decide the third.

The whole idea is juvenile. Of course a culture that recognizes the right to divorce can have members leave.
FrioAg 00:
BMX Bandit
Which raises an interesting question. If Congress can't shrink the size of the capital without a constitutional amendment, does Arlington County revert back to being part of DC ?
Slyfox07
AG
I believe that secession was legal, but in the real world the victor writes history and the rules. Do you believe the US would allow Texas to leave? I don't.

They'd declare an insurrection. Move in the military. The FBI would arrest the leaders and the whole thing would be declared illegal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.