Serious Discussion: Roundabouts vs. Intersections

6,185 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TexasRebel
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TX AG 88 said:

as mentioned earlier they take up a lot more room. the less room they take, the slower the traffic has to go thru them.

There's a whole science to traffic flow and intersection types. I haven't studied it, but some TexAgs posters have demonstrated a high familiarity with the topic in the past.

IIRC, a certain traffic density (low) is best served by a 4 way stop. then there's a range where a roundabout performs best. Higher traffic requires at least a signal, exotic configuration (diamond, etc.) or overpass, respectively.

The evidence doesn't appear to support that.
BQ78
AG
That looks like the flying DeLorean Pooks was wanting.
thirdcoast
AG
Yes for areas with 4way stop signs and room to facilitate roundabout. No for major intersections or more than 2 lanes of traffic in either direction.
Showertime at the Bidens
AgBQ-00 said:

Bidens leg hairs said:

The bigger question should be, where the hell is everyone going? I'm in favor of re-engineering society to get us out of cars in the first place.
Mobility increases freedom and personal liberty. There is a reason why marxists/globalists want to move everyone into mega cities.

You must love asphalt and parking lots. Eyeroll... we will never build big enough Interstate or interchanges to keep up with the population. It's time to reorganize cities where more things are accessible by walking. It would be far more enjoyable and healthy lifestyle.
Get Off My Lawn
When used appropriately, roundabouts can be great.
Tramp96
I loved roundabouts while driving in Europe...thought they worked great for the most part.

However, that does not apply to the roundabouts in central Bern (Switzerland) where they put traffic lights and pedestrian walkway lights within the circle of the roundabout. Talk about confusing as f***. You have multiple lanes entering the roundabout, but then a stoplight halfway through, and then a pedestrian crossing and light. And cameras to record if you go through a yellow light so they can send you like a $300 ticket.

It's absurd. That's the only place where the roundabout truly didn't work. It would have until they tried to add traffic lights to it (within it).
twk
AG
I'm not a traffic engineer, but I think that if you are going to have more than one lane in the roundabout, the center circle has to be larger to give traffic time to move from the inside lane to the outside lane. So, trying to re-engineer US intersections, particularly in more developed areas, would be cost prohibitive.

I also think that, when you consider the fact that roundabouts result in less severe accidents, part of that is attributable to slower speeds. And, while going slower through one intersection seems like a small imposition, when you do it many times in the course of a trip, the extra time starts to add up. For that reason, you should rarely use them where you would otherwise have an intersection where traffic in one direction would normally have to yield to traffic on the more important route.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
Thorough discussion on the most recent Freakonomics podcast.
lb3
AG
The roundabouts beat the hell out of whatever this is called:
Courtesy Flush
AG
In 30 years of driving, I have had 1 accident where I was found to be at fault and that was at the round-about near the Zaza Hotel in Houston. I bumped into a lady on the round-about but I am still not convinced that it was really my fault. The issue was that she was a police officer and was using her undercover police car for her personal use and had her kids in the car with her. Nobody was hurt because it was nothing but a minor bump but before we could actually get off of the round-about and park there were 2 police cars waiting for us and before it was all said and done, there were no less than 6 police cars there conducting their "investigation". I ended up getting a citation. It's really F-ed up, you can have an accident in Houston and not only will no citations be issued but there is very little chance that the police will actually show up. They just tell you to sort it out yourselves..........but exchange some paint with a member of HPD, and the world stops to ensure they hold the other person accountable.

I've lived in several places around the world were round-abouts were common and I grew to appreciate them so it's not that I don't know how the work.

And that's all I got on round-abouts.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
C@LAg said:

roundabouts are for little soyboys.

intersections are for real men.
Try the Paris one at the Arc de Triumph (sp) ! 8-10 lanes - Try to get from lane 1-4 to the outside!

Life in hand ! P-- in pants .

Rule of thumb - just signal and GO!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Burdizzo
AG
lb3 said:

If you're a pedestrian, godspeed.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
We have them all over town and they are continually replacing four way stops and stoplights with them. It has significantly aided traffic.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

In 30 years of driving, I have had 1 accident where I was found to be at fault and that was at the round-about near the Zaza Hotel in Houston.
should be pointed out that is not a "real" roundabout because the traffic on main never had to yield to anyone
Who?mikejones!

dallasiteinsa02
They work really well in residential settings. My only complaint is when I get to the roundabout first and a person is going straight they will just fly through acting like they have the right of way.
akm91
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

The problem in that picture? Busses. **** busses.
That and asian drivers!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Bird93
AG
The problem with roundabouts in the US is that people didn't grow up using them, so most people don't know how to properly navigate them. They do a much better job at keeping traffic flowing. The key is you still need to use your turn signal. If people don't know which way you're going, they're forced to yield to you, even when they don't need to.
akm91
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

They work really well in residential settings. My only complaint is when I get to the roundabout first and a person is going straight they will just fly through acting like they have the right of way.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TexasRebel
AG
lb3 said:

Think that's bad? Look up the jug handles.
Rattler12
Biz Ag said:

Well that's one roundabout way of getting around a roundabout..
EclipseAg
AG
We had a roundabout installed near our home a couple of years ago. It took awhile for people to get the hang of it, but it works pretty well now.
SWCBonfire
AG
Burdizzo said:

Years ago there used to be more of them. There was one where the Elite Cafe was in Waco, one in Mexia, one at SH 123 and US 81 in San Marcos. Countless others.

They are more efficient in some circumstances, but they also take up more real estate than conventional intersections. They are making a comeback in many cities. They do require drivers to pay more attention.

You mean 46 in New Braunfels?
Burdizzo
AG
SWCBonfire said:

Burdizzo said:

Years ago there used to be more of them. There was one where the Elite Cafe was in Waco, one in Mexia, one at SH 123 and US 81 in San Marcos. Countless others.

They are more efficient in some circumstances, but they also take up more real estate than conventional intersections. They are making a comeback in many cities. They do require drivers to pay more attention.

You mean 46 in New Braunfels?

No. Before IH 35 was built in the 1950s there was a roundabout in San Marcos where US 81 intersected with SH 123.

Texas freeways.com used to have a photo of it (I think)
Ag with kids
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

C@LAg said:

roundabouts are for little soyboys.

intersections are for real men.
Try the Paris one at the Arc de Triumph (sp) ! 8-10 lanes - Try to get from lane 1-4 to the outside!

Life in hand ! P-- in pants .
I crossed that circle on foot to get to the Arc once.

Note to self: When the Marine experimental test pilot you're with says "let's go now", DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM.
You can turn off signatures, btw
SWCBonfire
AG
US 123 and TX 80 intersect at the courthouse. Did the numbering change, or are you talking about something at hwy 80 & 21?
Burdizzo
AG
SWCBonfire said:

US 123 and TX 80 intersect at the courthouse. Did the numbering change, or are you talking about something at hwy 80 & 21?

US 81 was the predecessor to IH-35. It near where the Whataburger is

SH 123 is a state highway.
GCRanger
AG
There is one in Pearland with the yields in the circle at one entrance and entering the circle at another. It's backwards / inconsistent to every one I've driven in multiple countries. Why would they do this?

Pearland Pkwy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pGN3Pch75UH97Jp98
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
http://www.cityofbrooklyncenter.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/331

The difference between a roundabout(smaller) and a rotary(larger).
Crazy Ag 97
AG
The problem with the majority of roundabouts in the US is that they are far too small. To work properly, roundabouts need to much larger than how they are built here. Busier the intersection, the larger the roundabout. Add in that 90% of people here have no clue how to properly drive them and they are generally a cluster f***. When done correctly they are far superior to stop sign and/or lighted intersections.
FarmerJohn
AG
I generally like them, but living in Houston near Westheimer, I don't think they'll work in every location. The drivers there don't know the rules that are in place, can't read the signs that may explain what they should do, and believe turn signals are a sign of weakness.
Tanya 93
Hell is nothing but roundabouts.
They are a gift from Satan.

Hate them as much as I hate the DH.
Agvet12
AG
Roundabouts / rotaries are simple as hell, and maintain the flow of traffic.

The problem you have idiots that there are far more idiots that will stop at a yield sign, and blow through a stop sign.

peacedude
AG
Just a little bit more than the law will allow, but it's doable.

?id=
munch96
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.