Europe locking down again

5,418 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chimpanzee
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
beerad12man said:

I'm just beside myself how these people can think this is okay, and how they think it's helping their overall population, and how so many go along with it.

It's unbelievable.

It's been unbelievable this entire year. There never should've been masks and they never should've been any lockdowns.
XpressAg09
AG
P.U.T.U said:

So their social distancing and medical grade mask are not slowing the spread? Shocking I tell you
They didn't doubly social distance and double mask. Amateurs.
LostInLA07
AG
Yep. Additionally, the application of the "mitigation measures" has been complete nonsense.

*Wear a mask when walking to your table but you can take it off and sit in an enclosed space for an hour with the same people you had to wear a mask to walk by for 1-2 seconds (as long as you have a glass of water in front of you.)

*Wear a mask at all indoor and outdoor locations at large resort hotels like Hill Country Hyatt, unless you are in the pool (which is the most crowded and least distanced area in the entire property)

*Drinking at a bar at a restaurant or a bar that sells chips or has a food truck in the parking lot is ok. A bar that doesn't have some sort of food on the property is not ok.

*Arbitrary capacity restrictions. 50% capacity is ok, but 52% would kill people? 75% for one set of arbitrary business types, 50% for others, etc.

*In some states, eating in an enclosed tent in a parking lot is ok but eating inside an actual building isn't.

*Get the vaccine, but still wear a mask, distance, and don't gather with anyone. Maybe you can see one other family in person on July 4.

I'm not advocating for lockdowns by any means but, frankly, right now would actually make the most sense for a "lockdown" in the US because minimizing spread while the population is getting vaccinated for a month or two would be relatively effective compared to these never ending lockdowns and restrictions. It would have to be an actual near 100% lockdown though.

A year long pretend lockdown or an arbitrary patchwork of "mitigation" accomplished absolutely nothing except killing jobs and businesses. We'll never know for sure but I would love to see the results of an alternative reality where we did essentially nothing except help protect highly vulnerable populations. I bet we could've taken really good care of 65+ and terminally ill people for $5 trillion dollars.
beerad12man
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Yep. Additionally, the application of the "mitigation measures" has been complete nonsense.

*Wear a mask when walking to your table but you can take it off and sit in an enclosed space for an hour with the same people you had to wear a mask to walk by for 1-2 seconds (as long as you have a glass of water in front of you.)

*Wear a mask at all indoor and outdoor locations at large resort hotels like Hill Country Hyatt, unless you are in the pool (which is the most crowded and least distanced area in the entire property)

*Drinking at a bar at a restaurant or a bar that sells chips or has a food truck in the parking lot is ok. A bar that doesn't have some sort of food on the property is not ok.

*Arbitrary capacity restrictions. 50% capacity is ok, but 52% would kill people? 75% for one set of arbitrary business types, 50% for others, etc.

*In some states, eating in an enclosed tent in a parking lot is ok but eating inside an actual building isn't.

*Get the vaccine, but still wear a mask, distance, and don't gather with anyone. Maybe you can see one other family in person on July 4.

I'm not advocating for lockdowns by any means but, frankly, right now would actually make the most sense for a "lockdown" in the US because minimizing spread while the population is getting vaccinated for a month or two would be relatively effective compared to these never ending lockdowns and restrictions. It would have to be an actual near 100% lockdown though.

A year long pretend lockdown or an arbitrary patchwork of "mitigation" accomplished absolutely nothing except killing jobs and businesses. We'll never know for sure but I would love to see the results of an alternative reality where we did essentially nothing except help protect highly vulnerable populations. I bet we could've taken really good care of 65+ and terminally ill people for $5 trillion dollars.
Nah, to me, it actually makes the least sense now, because you have a good portion immune. The only "month" that made sense was the very first month when we weren't 100% sure what we were dealing with. We figured it out in April of 2020 who it attacks, and a relative death rate. From that point on, the 60 and under crowd should have been given their relative risk, and then allowed to be an adult about it and make their decision as they saw fit with the FACTs and nothing more, while doing what we could to protect the elderly, especially nursing homes. The only mitigation needed beyond April of 2020 was nursing home protection. The rest of the deaths would have been virtually the same.

Hospitals/deaths/cases will be much lower now than at any other point with the same level of mitigation due to immunity. So it makes the least amount of sense to me than ever before to have any restrictions right now. IF there was ever a time to ease up 100% (other than April of 2020), it's now.
Rascal
AG
I went to a new PCP yesterday for an annual checkup.

Wore my Aggie cloth mask.

During check in they told me to take mine off and use their standard issue blue paper mask.

Thought to myself: hmmm, clearly doctors don't think too highly of the mask that I'm wearing, thus they don't think too highly of all their patients wearing their own masks.

Thus, the whole mask mandate seems to be quite a flimsy protocol to say the least, right? I mean, if we were serious about masks doing anything wouldn't you expect to see even more onerous regulatoin/monitoring of them? This all seems pointless and this episode crystalized it for me in my mind.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
beerad12man said:

I'm just beside myself how these people can think this is okay, and how they think it's helping their overall population, and how so many go along with it.

It's unbelievable.

I was just on the phone with a big money commercial real estate guy from NYC and I could not believe how bought in he was on all of this. He and his wife just got the second vaccine and are waiting two weeks before they will finally start going out to eat, enjoying their lives in public again.

Then he started ripping on how reckless our governor was and sarcastically quipped that "everything must be 100% ok and back to normal" if we are lifting the mask ban.

It's scary to see how willingly submissive and easily brainwashed so many smart and successful people are.

I have lost almost all faith in humanity. I think I might be fine with an EMP at this point.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Kashchei
AG
Did you ask him how he thought his governor was doing?
UTExan
Bunk Moreland said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/business/astrazeneca-vaccine-denmark-blood-clots.html

It's probably the blood clots.

Is it that difficult to add an aspirin chaser?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

Welcome to a failed debate from a year ago. You can't "lockdown" a society. Real people still have to get out and do real jobs. I don't know what utopia people believe in if they think there is some magic lockdown pause button.
Cassius
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

Welcome to a failed debate from a year ago. You can't "lockdown" a society. Real people still have to get out and do real jobs. I don't know what utopia people believe in if they think there is some magic lockdown pause button.

What really burned me up is that the doomer lib covidbro idiots were all about keeping businesses open that kept them alive and well, and that they deemed essential, even though they believed this to be killer Ebola airborne aids. They were more than happy to sacrifice the health and lives of "essential workers" for their own sake. Everyone else, well, **** you, you get fired!

Cut your damn caloric intake and start drinking ****ing tap water. Noooo, they were at the damn store every week buying bottled water.

I always knew people, especially libs, were evil and selfish, but this covid crap really highlighted it.
Faustus
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Kashchei said:

Did you ask him how he thought his governor was doing?

No, it's a personal policy not to engage in debate with my enemy. I just quietly stack guns and ammo and keep myself in good physical condition.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
agracer
AG
beerad12man said:

LostInLA07 said:

Nah, to me, it actually makes the least sense now, because you have a good portion immune. The only "month" that made sense was the very first month when we weren't 100% sure what we were dealing with. We figured it out in April of 2020 who it attacks, and a relative death rate. From that point on, the 60 and under crowd should have been given their relative risk, and then allowed to be an adult about it and make their decision as they saw fit with the FACTs and nothing more, while doing what we could to protect the elderly, especially nursing homes. The only mitigation needed beyond April of 2020 was nursing home protection. The rest of the deaths would have been virtually the same.

Hospitals/deaths/cases will be much lower now than at any other point with the same level of mitigation due to immunity. So it makes the least amount of sense to me than ever before to have any restrictions right now. IF there was ever a time to ease up 100% (other than April of 2020), it's now.
We know this in March with data from...gasp!!! ITALY!!!!
GMaster0
I live in Germany, this is the first week the lockdown has eased. Stores reopened, which is nice and more than one family can get together.

Not my government, but it seems folks here try their best. They have more things to do outside, which helps. My family rides our bikes all over the countryside and enjoy a different Biergarten each week as a mid-ride treat.

Looking forward to traveling Europe again, the vaccine offers a lot of opportunity and hoping by late spring we are traveling again. Last good trip was in November to enjoy beer and fun in Munich.
Spyderman
AG

Should anyone ask you what the best things about Europe is...
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Faustus
Spyderman said:

Should anyone ask you what the best things about Europe is...
That actually took several searches to pin down since Wacken is the name of the festival, the vid has 40k views, and no band name is listed for the video. Of course I could have just hit play first and the name would have popped right up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therion_(band)

Quote:

Therion (formerly Blitzkrieg and Megatherion) is a Swedish symphonic metal band founded by Christofer Johnsson in 1987. Its name was inspired by the Celtic Frost album To Mega Therion. "To Mega Therion" is Greek for "The Great Beast" and was a title used by occultist Aleister Crowley. Originally a death metal band, Therion adjusted its musical style by adding orchestral elements, including choirs, classical musicians, and even a full orchestra at their concert performances. As a result, they are considered pioneers of the symphonic metal genre.
. . .
I wouldn't have pegged you for a guy who treasured a band that included the following works

but that's a cool twist.

Kind of a Gwar feel sans tongue in cheek.

chimpanzee

How many Australian politicians are excited for their fall to begin?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.