Starbucks Employee Fired for Refusing to Wear Pride Shirt

7,886 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DCAggie13y
richardag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie Jurist said:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on race, sex, and religion. An employer has an obligation to accommodate an employee's sincerely held religious beliefs, even if it involves altering uniform requirements.
Thank you for the post. Starbucks was wrong according to the law and intent of the law in my opinion.
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, npublic debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
waitwhat?
In this thread, friends, are a bunch of posters that didn't read the article.

Nothing in the article indicates that she was fired for refusing to wear the shirt, or that anyone even tried to pressure her to wear the shirt.

The article says the termination notice claimed that she said to her coworkers that they "need Jesus" when the shirts were handed out.

Again, nobody has claimed that she was being forced to wear the shirt or be fired. She was fired for a comment that she made.

The argument here should be whether or not it was okay for her to be fired for telling her coworkers that they need Jesus.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
YouBet
AG
waitwhat? said:

Nothing in the article indicates that she was fired for refusing to wear the shirt, or that anyone even tried to pressure her to wear the shirt.

The article says the termination notice claimed that she said to her coworkers that they "need Jesus" when the shirts were handed out.

Again, nobody has claimed that she was being forced to wear the shirt or be fired. She was fired for a comment that she made.

The argument here should be whether or not it was okay for her to be fired for telling her coworkers that they need Jesus.
That's how it reads. So, the question then becomes why is it ok for employees to openly push one political issue as part of their official uniform but it's not ok to say what she said?
waitwhat?
YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

That's how it reads. So, the question then becomes why is it ok for employees to openly push one political issue as part of their official uniform but it's not ok to say what she said?

Because it's their business. I keep my thoughts to myself at work when my company is pushing other-word-for-transmission issues. Maybe she should have kept her thoughts to herself, too.

It's not an ideal world but it's the world we live in.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

TEXIT
Tanya 93
waitwhat? said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

Because it's their business. I keep my thoughts to myself at work when my company is pushing other-word-for-transmission issues. Maybe she should have kept her thoughts to herself, too.

I asked last night if there might be more to this. something along the lines of the shirts even being allowed
waitwhat?
Tanya 93 said:

waitwhat? said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

I asked last night if there might be more to this. something along the lines of the shirts even being allowed

Well if only you had read the article, Tanya.

TEXIT
DCAggie13y
AG
waitwhat? said:

I agree with you. Based on the article it seems like she might have been the one passing judgment.
UTExan
Gumby said:

waitwhat? said:

I agree with you. Based on the article it seems like she might have been the one passing judgment.

She didn't pass judgment: she simply did not want to be forced to wear the Pride shirt and thus passively acquiesce to an ideology she rejects on constitutionally protected religious grounds. Her "Need Jesus" remarks were likewise a general statement of the condition of mankind. Any judgment perceived by Starbucks management in that statement that it violates their "core values" is telling enough.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
DCAggie13y
AG
Imagine it was a Christmas shirt and a Muslim employee said "You all need Allah in your lives".
Amazing Moves
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Incredible. Liberals are disgusting.
Can't be said enough.
Gaius Rufus
UTExan said:

Gumby said:

waitwhat? said:

She didn't pass judgment: she simply did not want to be forced to wear the Pride shirt and thus passively acquiesce to an ideology she rejects on constitutionally protected religious grounds. Her "Need Jesus" remarks were likewise a general statement of the condition of mankind. Any judgment perceived by Starbucks management in that statement that it violates their "core values" is telling enough.
Just so I am clear, you are stating that saying, "You need Jesus" is not a religious statement. Further, you are stating that she did not violate the religious rights of those working with her when she openly, at work, stated, "You need Jesus".

So, do you believe she was discriminating against her co-workers for their beliefs, or not? If not, why do you believe she is being discriminated against?
Pike Bishop
AG
I've never worked at Starbucks, so I don't know exactly what they expect of their employees. But where I work, we have a Company Code of Conduct and a dress code for employees at the office. They got rules there.

Evangelizing other employees or clients at the office is not permitted. I'm pretty sure if I decided to start advising other people there that "You need Jesus, the Torah, Allah or Krishna", I wouldn't be working there much longer.
I am the Reverend Pike Bishop of the Church of What's Happening Now and I approve this message.
thirdcoast
AG
I'll wear a pride shirt for anyone who asks as long as they wear a NRA shirt in return to support my belief in 2A.
UTExan
Gumby said:

Imagine it was a Christmas shirt and a Muslim employee said "You all need Allah in your lives".

That's fine. It's an opinion, not a mandate.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Gunny456
AG
She was fired for not wearing the shirt.

Get back to us when an NFL player is fired for NOT kneeling. Then your comparison will make sense.
Gunny456
AG
Damn straight!!!
waitwhat?
Gunny456 said:

She was fired for not wearing the shirt..

The article does not say this.

TEXIT
UTExan
waitwhat? said:

Gunny456 said:

No. Her belief in Jesus violated Starbucks core values.
Marcus Brutus
Gumby said:

So imagine her not being fired? OK then.
Tanya 93
UTExan said:

waitwhat? said:

Gunny456 said:

No. Her belief in Jesus violated Starbucks core values.
despite the fact she always got Sundays off and week nights for church and its activities?

Starbucks has different claims.

Right now I do not believe it is because she believes in Jesus.
I don't think she was quiet about others wearing Pride shirts.

Starbucks does not allow BLM clothing or masks.
I bet she might have been encouraged by some to wear it, but she is the one making the claim fer firing was due to not wearing a shirt.
There is nothing wrong with waiting to see if Jesus was the reason or if it was her behavior.

Frederick Palowaski
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Starbucks is wrong from this, there's no argument, no justification of it.

Welcome Christians, to every pagan, LGBT person, atheist, and non Christian persons life, especially in the south. Try not playing the victim card quite so hard, its not that convincing.

You poor victim tell us your tale of woe and how society just doesn't accept your special snowflake existence

Christians, especially on this forum, making fun of people being "snowflakes", are the cast iron pot calling a stainless steel kettle black. I have never seen a group of more triggered and victimized group...

You must be tired from all the mental gymnastics
DCAggie13y
AG
UTExan said:

Gumby said:

That's fine. It's an opinion, not a mandate.

I agree. I'm guessing there is more to this story though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.