Early planning - Semiquincentennial is less than 6 years away

1,573 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgResearch
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday I was talking with my brother about the Bicentennial celebrations back in our small town in rural Alaska.

We were talking about stuff like patriotic folk songs, decorating our bicycles with crepe paper, etc. We're pretty sure that no schoolchildren today will be singing those songs and taking as much pride in the USA in six years when we celebrate the 250th Birthday of the USA as we did back in 1976.

So, what do we need to do to start getting schools prepared for the Semiquincentennial?

Back in the 1970s, we had plenty of teachers who played guitar or piano so they were happy to lead the songs. Given the way things have developed lately, I just don't see parents dropping all the SJW stuff to let their kids sing "This Land is Your Land", "California Here I Come", "America the Beautiful", etc.

96AgGrad
AG
I used to think some of the patriotic observances were corny and unnecessary. I mean, of course everyone loves our country without needing to hear Lee Greenwood sing it repeatedly.

How wrong I was. We need this more than ever now.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I doubt we make it 6 years in one piece.
TxTarpon
Dang BQ
I loved those Betsey Ross flags that were so popular in 1976.

And the fashion:

----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
HollywoodBQ
AG
The fashions were pretty sweet. Red, White and Blue bell bottoms.
Didn't see any bikini tops in my town in Alaska though
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
annie88
AG
To this day I can still say all the states in alphabetical order because of a song we sang at the 1976 bicentennial. I can still sing the entire song too.

Makes a good beer bet with folks when they think I can't name the states in order.
Bonfired
AG
I was almost 7...I remember the bank that my mom worked at had little first aid kits that had a patriotic theme on them.

Was blissfully unaware of any presidential campaign stuff going on at the time, too.

I'm having a hard time imagining this country in its current state being that positive about #250...but, I guess it's possible that folks in 1970 didn't have all that rosy an outlook on the bicentennial.

Really old people who remember 1970...wanna chime in?
Tanya 93
My son calls me old

But I wasn't born yet in 70.

I do remember my mom taking me to see Jimmy Carter in 80 because it is important to see our President speak.

My how everything changed.
HollywoodBQ
AG
annie88 said:

To this day I can still say all the states in alphabetical order because of a song we sang at the 1976 bicentennial. I can still sing the entire song too.

Makes a good beer bet with folks when they think I can't name the states in order.
Seriously, In First Grade in Alaska, I had to learn all the states, capitals and postal abbreviations.
I can't remember all the capitals, I've been to all 50 States but it's the postal abbreviations that really freak people out like I'm a total nerd. I just assumed everybody had to learn this stuff.
annie88
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

annie88 said:

Seriously, In First Grade in Alaska, I had to learn all the states, capitals and postal abbreviations.
I can't remember all the capitals, I've been to all 50 States but it's the postal abbreviations that really freak people out like I'm a total nerd. I just assumed everybody had to learn this stuff.

We had to learn all of that as well and it one point I did know all the capitals but that's been a while. I'm usually pretty good with the state abbreviations just but just today I accidentally missed typed Alaska AK as AL.
annie88
AG
In 1976 I did see Gerald Ford speak. Remember going with my Girl Scout troop.

And Bush 41 spoke at my A&M graduation.
TxTarpon
I was in NoCal and saw more than I needed to.
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

TxTarpon
It ain't a party until....

-BarronVonAwesome

rednecked
AG
I was 8 in 76. I don't remember my family doing anything real special but I do remember watching TV and I think it was around the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor, tons and tons of sailboats and fireworks.
AgResearch
AG
Too patriotic for the liberals. All racist etc talking points will ramp up to ruin any widespread celebration.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.