Would anyone else be prepared to enter an experimental war machine to save this

2,484 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SBISA Victim
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
country from the Dems?
Gilligan
AG
Brave men.
TRADUCTOR
lol men. We crazy.
SBISA Victim
AG
They were brave men who fought to save their home.
titan
S

Yes in the right conditions. That was such an impressive stunt and feat. One of the all time greats of history in general, let alone naval history.

An equally worthy one from the Union side is Lt. Cushing's attack on the formidable Confederate ironclad CSS Albermarle in October 1864 I could relate it all including the specs and setting (example the mine was placed against the port quarter and blew a horse cart sized hole in the hull), but looking it up might be more fun.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
HalifaxAg
AG
If I get to kill me some commies, then sign me up, sir!
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Damn the torpedos
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Damn the torpedos
We are the torpedo!
Old Army Metal
AG
WarAGle said:

They were also, let's not forget, traitors who had to save their home because otherwise they would no longer be allowed to own people as property.

Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Old Army Metal said:

WarAGle said:

They were also, let's not forget, traitors who had to save their home because otherwise they would no longer be allowed to own people as property.

Hope you have the same thought in mind when you start clamoring for popular votes and stacking the SCOTUS, traitor.
Old Army Metal
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Old Army Metal said:

WarAGle said:

Hope you have the same thought in mind when you start clamoring for popular votes and stacking the SCOTUS, traitor.
Yes, I will still see the confederacy as chiefly a vehicle for starting a separatist state where chattel slavery is not only legal, but a cornerstone of the economy.

Not sure how that's relevant to some wild scenario where in your mind I am a traitor.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Old Army Metal said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Old Army Metal said:

WarAGle said:

Yes, I will still see the confederacy as chiefly a vehicle for starting a separatist state where chattel slavery is not only legal, but a cornerstone of the economy.

Not sure how that's relevant to some wild scenario where in your mind I am a traitor.
coconutED
AG
Gilligan said:

Brave men.
Didn't the Hunley sink three times? I believe Hunley himself was killed during the trials. Seems like insanity to me.
SBISA Victim
AG
coconutED said:

Gilligan said:

Brave men.
Didn't the Hunley sink three times? I believe Hunley himself was killed during the trials. Seems like insanity to me.

SBISA Victim
AG
Yes, once after leaving the warf on a test run. A passing steamer went by and flooded the submarine through the hatches. 5 of the 9 crewman drowned in her. The second time on a training run. Captain Hunley started his dive but failed to realize the seacock was open. All 9 men of the crew including Hunley died. Afterwards her name was changed from porpoise to H.L. Hunley in his honor.
titan
S
Old Army Metal said:

WarAGle said:

That is such a deficient and narrow view. High ranking politicians on both sides being a-holes in the years prior had as much to do with what happened as anything. The courage and innovation of officers and men on both sides of the Union and Confederate Navies is the stuff of legends and worth remembering and taking to heart.

The people they fought against call it the War of the Rebellion and came to forgive each other and even pool records to write their stories. It is not really for those of this deprived age to second-guess them. Even in rebellion, the spirit of 1776 played no small role in a Confederate's dedication and effort to their cause as much as a Union commander, and Union ones routinely say that.

Further, there was more true belief in the American Idea on both sides in the Civil War than there is the Democrat leadership of the present. It routinely betrays the American Ideal and flirts with collectivism and thought-control. These are even wanting to tear down Washington's statue and Jefferson's --- most of the Blue and the Gray would have objected to THAT.

FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Teslag
AG
Old Army Metal said:

WarAGle said:

So they should have been traitors to their state in an effort to appease you?
titan
S

That post reminds of another factor. If you consider especially the Constitution rather the the Revolution, the ramp up to the Civil War is barely 50 years later. Deeply ingrained habits of identifying with your local region more than the Union probably play no small role. Lee agonized over serving his state vs the Union. That might have seemed a more clear choice in 1890.
FrioAg 00:
SBISA Victim
AG
titan said:

That post reminds of another factor. If you consider especially the Constitution rather the the Revolution, the ramp up to the Civil War is barely 50 years later. Deeply ingrained habits of identifying with your local region more than the Union probably play no small role. Lee agonized over serving his state vs the Union. That might have seemed a more clear choice in 1890.
some aspects of that are stlll around today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.