Did Joe Biden really sell off his own driveway? He did, twice!

9,422 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by John_Cocktolstoy
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The portrait of Joe Biden that emerges from What It Takes (1992), Richard Ben Cramer's thousand-page New Journalismstyle report on the 1988 presidential race, in which Biden ran for a few steps until he stumbled over his own shoelaces, is a familiar one.

<snip>

We turn to page 248 of Cramer's tombstone-sized book. A couple of years into his Senate career, Biden has a dream of living grandly by buying on the cheap a former du Pont manse, together with a huge chunk of land, for $200,000. The house was boarded up and soon, probably, to be torn down. But Biden saw something in it. Sure, it needed some fixing up. Never fear, Joe is here! Joe is a can-do fellow. The first winter he and Jill spent in the house, it used up 3,000 gallons of fuel oil. It turned out the third floor was wide open, to the stars. Squirrels were living up there. Oops. The judgment on display here is not great.

Next year, Biden starting selling off bits of the land for development to pay for improvements such as storm windows. Small problem here: One of the lots he sold off was his own driveway, and the new owner blocked it off so he couldn't pass through it. So Joe built a second driveway, which turned into a swamp in winter. He sold off another piece of property that, it turned out, included the front of that second driveway, so he couldn't use that one anymore either. So I built a third. He hated that one for being a dumpy little thing. Eight years went by, and he made a deal to buy back the original driveway, the one he sold off when he first bought the house. Which cost him a fortune in landscaping to reshape.
Quote:

Meanwhile Biden was struggling with the upkeep of the grounds; he'd let the grass get three feet high, then attack it with a riding mower. Mysteriously, year after year, the mowers kept breaking down. He'd go buy a new one, and wreck that one too. "These damn things aren't built right," he'd mutter. The mower was always the problem, you see. And the next one. And the next one.

To pare down costs, Biden figured he'd rearrange the floor plan a bit. At one point he decided to have the entire third story removed; at another he figured he'd have the ballroom and a bunch of other rooms, plus the carved staircase, taken apart and reassembled on a smaller footprint. It turned out this idea was kind of expensive, so he didn't follow through.

Then he got to work on the trees. Privacy was what Joe wanted, a screen of hemlocks and rhododendron bushes to form a green wall around the property. Joe even drove a 40-foot flatbed full of trees an hour and a half from Wilmington, dug himself a 45-foot trench three feet deep. He was out there in hiking boots and shorts doing the work himself. Then he started in with the yews. Glorious. He ringed the swimming pool with them. Finally, he had his privacy!
Quote:

So how'd all this end? "Two years, of course, they're all dead," reports Cramer. Oh. Biden built a stockade fence around the property friends started calling the place Fort Apache but the neighbors complained. He had to take down the fence. At some point visitors noticed he had staked off the area around the very swimming pool, a plot he announced he was going to sell to raise more cash. Joe's plan for the existing pool was to move it. Move a swimming pool. "Whaddya think?" he'd ask. "I think you're f***in' crazy," friends would tell him.
Read the rest
Ag4coal
What the **** did i just read?
Owlagdad
Lots of planning and common sense in those deals. Sure want him making our decisions. After all, libs will tell us how adaptive he is to bad situations.
DD88
AG
It looks like Joe has the Screw It Up Yourself philosophy.

(the pictures of these boondoggles would make for a good ad)

Let's keep him far from the Presidency.
redcrayon
AG
Ag4coal said:

Joe Biden is a real estate mogul.
Reservoir Dog
This reads like a case study of joe Biden's thought patterns...

Very disheveled and random.
Sid Farkas
AG
So he was an idiot even before the dementia set in
TRADUCTOR
Biden sounds like what happens when a hobo becomes a politician.
Paradise Ag
AG

Yeah, this guy needs to run a complex first world economy for sure.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Good article. I almost feel sorry for Joe Biden...he's likable in some ways, but he's a patsy for the left and willing to serve as their Trojan horse into power.
TexasAggie_02
AG

I didn't realize that this was a documentary
aggiehawg
AG
Ag4coal said:

Quote:

The portrait of Joe Biden that emerges from What It Takes (1992), Richard Ben Cramer's thousand-page New Journalismstyle report on the 1988 presidential race, in which Biden ran for a few steps until he stumbled over his own shoelaces, is a familiar one.
Article sourced from a 1992 book about the 1988 presidential campaign. If you read the rest of the article it also contains some tid-bits about his failed bid back then and how Biden was clueless about how to run a campaign.
Owlagdad
He must run all over his wife and make decisions without her-- sounds like a 95-5 relationship. Maybe thats why she is running and propping him up-- she finally gets a say so.
chimpanzee
That seems like the kind of thing your dumb uncle that's really bad with money would do.

Dude has had a guaranteed pension since the 70's, he's never had to make a real risk based personal decision in his life. Even prior to losing his mental faculties, he never had to worry about the consequences of his decisions, now he can't even comprehend them. Why do people think individuals pickled in this kind alternate dimension type of lifestyle should be rewarded with power?
aggiehawg
AG
Owlagdad said:

He must run all over his wife and make decisions without her-- sounds like a 95-5 relationship. Maybe thats why she is running and propping him up-- she finally gets a say so.
Or she's not that smart either.
1872walker
Ag4coal said:

You know....the thing. Come on man!
aggiehawg
AG
Here's the part that is quite interesting.

Quote:

All of this is leading up to why Joe, cash arsonist, decided he'd had enough of the fixing-upping he brought on himself and told his aides of his plans to move into an enormous Hyannisport-style $1.1 million estate in 1986, as he was preparing to run for president. "There was (to be perfectly blunt, as Joe would always say) a breathtaking element of balls. . . . Lots of times, more balls than sense."

Cramer evinces no interest whatsoever in how a public servant whose salary had ranged from $42,500 in 1972 to a 1986 figure of $75,100 could afford such a lavish spread $1.1 million in 1987 dollars would be $2.5 million today. At the time, Biden was already "into Visa, Amex for thousands." Joe Biden, sharp-eyed custodian of budgets.
So was he grafting and taking bribes way back then? Where did that money come from? Did he get a sweetheart loan from his reliable donor, MBNA? The same bank that hired nooby lawyer, Hunter Biden in 1996?
DallasAg 94
Ag87H2O
AG
This reminds me of the story Ronald Reagan used to tell about the Democrat led city council that decided the street signs in their town weren't tall enough so they voted to lower all the streets by two feet.
American Hardwood
AG

Reading that narrative reminds me of the Holy Grail castle in a swamp bit.
FriscoKid
AG
That's hilarious and almost unbelievable.
dreyOO
If ever there was a perfectly teed up softball for real estate mogul Trump to school Biden on and tease him, this is it.

But people will just assume it's from Babylon Bee.
aggiehawg
AG
Had a client who was actually a homebuilder and more than familiar with real property law. His wife, who everybody affectionately called "The Boss" decided she wanted a pool in their back yard of their new house. My client told her to do whatever she wished and was not hands on during the planning and construction process.

Big mistake. Where she placed the pool, three feet of it was located on their neighbor's property. Neighbor sued and it cost a pretty penny to buy those three feet instead of tearing out the pool.

ETA: You would think Biden would learn his surveying lesson from the first time and not do the same thing thereafter.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Sid Farkas said:

This is well known and has been for years.

The older folks on the planet have seen this in real time.
Cassius
Is that real? My gosh, how did Biden get elected as a Senator? Because he's a bull****ter?
DallasAg 94
TexasAggie_02
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

aggiehawg said:

Had a client who was actually a homebuilder and more than familiar with real property law. His wife, who everybody affectionately called "The Boss" decided she wanted a pool in their back yard of their new house. My client told her to do whatever she wished and was not hands on during the planning and construction process.

Big mistake. Where she placed the pool, three feet of it was located on their neighbor's property. Neighbor sued and it cost a pretty penny to buy those three feet instead of tearing out the pool.

ETA: You would think Biden would learn his surveying lesson from the first time and not do the same thing thereafter.
47 years serving in Government and I think his record illustrates that he doesn't learn very well.

"I'm convinced it will be different this time."
just like communism.
aggiehawg
AG
chimpanzee
I guess it's time to start walking everyone through this again, the supercut video is going to get pretty long, so good to start breaking it into 20 minute chunks with a couple of new ones every day.

I think some people that are just starting to pay attention to the candidates themselves are going to try and see what Biden has to say and will either hear crickets or hear 50 years of a dude being serially wrong on anything important he ever tried to say.
Cassius
He's dumb and a liar.
dreyOO
Pour one out for legitimate news. That's dead too, but seeing those old clips is wild. They actually did their jobs.
aggiehawg
AG
dreyOO said:

Pour one out for legitimate news. That's dead too, but seeing those old clips is wild. They actually did their jobs.
Yes they did. And most of those folks are still alive but strangely silent now.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sid Farkas said:

Ive been saying this all along. Yes, he is a mental midget. Always has been. Dementia just made it worse.
Rachel 98
AG
I would love to see a map of his purchased property and the different tracts that he sold off which included his driveways. How can you not figure that out ahead of time?!?
CyclingAg82
AG
Sid Farkas said:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.