Oscar Becomes A Commissar: Movies must be "diverse" to be eligible for awards.

2,901 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cassius
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From the article:

Quote:

On-screen representation, themes and narratives

The first requirement requires that at least one of the following criteria be met, including hiring "at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors" that belongs to a marginalized population -- Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, Black/African American, Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native, Middle Eastern/North African, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander or another "underrepresented race or ethnicity."

Similarly, 30% or fewer "secondary and more minor roles" must be occupied by women, people in the LGBTQ+ community or a "racial or ethnic group," as well as those "with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing."

The first standard also requires that storylines focus on the same underrepresented groups.

This is pure insanity. They are actually trying to dictate the types of stories that are to be told.
PneumAg
I think this has already been posted two or three times.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
So if you make a story about a historical event in Which everyone was white, you have to Hamilton it and change the race of some percentage??????

****ing insanity.

Let's say you make a movie about the IRA in Ireland. You have to make them ethnic????? Or Braveheart would need some color???

Squadron7
AG
PneumAg said:

I think this has already been posted two or three times.

Perhaps....but I did do a search on page one for "Oscar" and "Hollywood" first.
AggDogg61
Again, who is Oscar??
Squadron7
AG
It will be interesting to begin tracking the relationship between box office revenue and awards going forward.

How are minorities not completely insulted by this kind of stuff?
aggiedent
AG
Remember the woman who was indignant that there were no blacks in the Dunkirk movie?

All we need to do is cast all the Nazi's with black actors. Done.

Could you seriously imagine the detonation if they did that?
Aggie Joe 93
AG
This is precisely the kind of elitist bs communism will get you.

So you can get an Oscar is you use no whites, but .....
panhandlefarmer
AG
Wasn't this year's winner all Koreans?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
torrid
AG
AggDogg61 said:

Again, who is Oscar??
Damned if I know.

Goose83
AG
Interesting enough, when using this criteria, the only film from Hollywood's Golden Age that would qualify for a Best Picture nomination would be none other than (drumroll, please):

Gone with The Wind
Tibbers
Sadly this is what they are already being taught in film school. I saw it first hand at the university of Denver.

Film students are being taught how spike Lee never got a best director award because he was black. I kindly interjected "well professor wouldn't you say that Hitchcock and Kubrick are among the best directors of all time?" He nodded. I continued, "well neither of them received best director awards, either. Don't you think then that perhaps the Oscars aren't the end all, be all of vindication for your craft?"
richardag
torrid said:

AggDogg61 said:

Again, who is Oscar??
Damned if I know.

Me neither

EKUAg
AG
titan
S

One of those posters nailed it perfectly, they are now:

Quote:

"The Quota Awards"

FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
black_ice
I wish streaming services had a filter tool to filter out movies that are laden with SJW content. Such as the new Star Wars. A strong white female lead. A black male who wants the sexy time with the white female lead. Then you take white luke skywalker and turn him into some alien teat sucking loser.

I find myself rewatching the good stuff from the 80's.
titan
S
black_ice said:

I wish streaming services had a filter tool to filter out movies that are laden with SJW content. Such as the new Star Wars. A strong white female lead. A black male who wants the sexy time with the white female lead. Then you take white luke skywalker and turn him into some alien teat sucking loser.

The dreck you are describing strictly speaking is "Last Jedi" the previous Star Wars before the most recent one. The recent one spent much of its time trying to fix all the shipwreck of that second one. But no argument with your post and sentiment.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
dmart90
AG
Tibbers said:

Sadly this is what they are already being taught in film school. I saw it first hand at the university of Denver.

Film students are being taught how spike Lee never got a best director award because he was black. I kindly interjected "well professor wouldn't you say that Hitchcock and Kubrick are among the best directors of all time?" He nodded. I continued, "well neither of them received best director awards, either. Don't you think then that perhaps the Oscars aren't the end all, be all of vindication for your craft?"

I guess you failed that class...
BQ78
AG
Who was the gay/trans person?

My vote's for Ashley.
93MarineHorn
This will not only cheapen the award, but also lessen the quality of movies as film makers sacrifice artistic integrity for "woke" points.
ironmanag
AG
People still watch the Oscars?
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
G Martin 87
AG
black_ice said:

Eventually, there will be pressure on the streaming services to provide a default filter for "non-conforming" movies. It's coming. Might want to think about keeping a DVD player and your favorite movies on physical media.
Boo Weekley
Would like to hear TCTTS's thoughts on his fellow liberals trying to ruin/make an even bigger joke of the industry he loves. Guessing he supports this insanity by default bc liberals good conservatives bad.
Martin Q. Blank
Minority actors cannot win without the help of white liberals.
Humorous Username
AG
Go check his comments in the "Lovecraft Country" thread on Entertainment , which devolved into a discussion on race.
Urban Ag
AG
C@LAg said:

panhandlefarmer said:

Wasn't this year's winner all Koreans?
yes, and it was undeserved.
geez no kidding. Talk about over hyped.
B-1 83
AG
I guess instead of "The Godfather" we get "The 'Hood Rat".........
ExPeterKeating
Martin Q. Blank said:

Minority actors cannot win without the help of white liberals.
This is now the message. From here forward a minority actor will always know In the back of his mind that he won NOT because he was judged as the best, but because he had to be included because of his color. This is the essence of affirmative action - which ultimately rots the soul and satisfaction of any accomplishments.

Years ago I worked for firm owned by a Hispanic female. She dragged me along to numerous MWBE vendor fairs and pursuit meetings. I was as white as any client we had, but, over time, I saw how many viewed us as the 'token' firm. We were as qualified as anyone, but our status as MWBE quietly diminished our distinction and status because most MWBE firms are startups, fronts, or simply not as qualified. I strongly urged my boss to jettison the MWBE status and let the firm stand on its own merits. But no. Needless to say I ultimately left and the firm has mysteriously languished and shrunk thru the years. At the end of the day companies care about money, and will hire those that put them in the best position to be successful. Red, yellow, black or white.
Squadron7
AG
ironmanag said:

People still watch the Oscars?

I used to about 30 years ago. Oscar parties even. But given that Libs ruin everything they touch...and they touched Hollywood...well, you know the rest.

James Woods' Tweet is spot on: How many past Best Picture winners would not qualify under the new Oscar Quotas?
milner79
Under the Academy's new woke rules, this 1974 film becomes the model for today's aspiring Best Picture projects:

They needed a man who was brave and true
With justice for all as his aim
Then out of the sun rode a man with a gun
And Bart was his name
Squadron7
AG
ValleyRatAg
AG
The Rush Hour movies would now qualify.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.