CDC quietly updates their site to show only 6% of deaths were only COVID-19

10,617 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BamaAggies
OasisMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggies2009 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

"For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."

this is not surprising -- those dying from covid tend to have multiorgan dysfunction/failure

the 6% only covid could also be from poor medical documentation
Forum Troll
AG
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

This tweet (and entire thread) makes no sense. We've known for months nearly all covid deaths have underlying conditions and trend really old and/or really fat and very few apparently healthy individuals will die of this, and many regulars on this board have stated this quite often.

Now, they publish this fact and people here are claiming theres some sort of hoax that's been exposed?
agracer
AG
AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

Past time to open it all back up without masks or occupancy limits and if you are fat, diabetic, or have coronary issues, time to hit the treadmill.

For the statistical outliers that die, sucks but it was just your time.

So it turns out we're ok with death panels after all?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the American health care system is set up to save every life, at any cost. And Americans seem to like it that way. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the reaction to a heath crisis takes the same approach.
I am not in favor of denying treatment to those that can afford it but we should not have to change our lives to help them continue eating themselves to death.

That is not a death panel. Dial back the hyperbole.
That's a pretty small percent who can afford ICU/Critical Care Hospitalization. Are you really in favor of denying critical care to the millions of Americans who can't afford it?
Are you talking about the uninsured? If so, then yes. End EMTALA. Even that is not a death panel. That is providing a service to those that can afford it or those that have jumped through the governmental hoops to qualify for insurance.

I would make an exception for juveniles but if you are not on Medicaid, insurance, or can pay directly you have made a choice and should suffer the consequences.
What if you are laid off of work through no fault of your own and lose your employer based health insurance and the only jobs you can find during a recession don't offer health insurance. Do you get axed by the death panel then too?

Make it like car insurance, publish prices for medical care online, make people more responsible for this direct costs and I can promise a lot of those preventable comorbidities will slowly disappear.

Yes, their would need to be protections in place to prevent you being dropped for (although the less healthy will pay more, just like car insurance) but if they want a discount they'll suddenly find the gym and stay off the candy isle.

There also needs to be protection in place for the less fortunate. But my health insurance should not be tied to my employment. Remove that government interference and costs will come downs for everyone.
aggiehawg
AG
So wait, wait, wait! Covid deaths are vastly over estimated but Senator Chris Murphy is saying Trump is "deliberately killing people" on twitter?

And the Cabinet too?

Soo to recap in the last week, Barr is arresting people left and right on federal charges, a 17 year old kid takes out some violent protesters who were trying to hurt or kill him, and now Covid is a bust and BLM/Antifa are part of a Russian plot?

Horribad, not too good of week for the Dems.
B-1 83
AG
amercer said:

rudy99 said:

amercer said:

The implication that 96% of the deaths weren't caused by Covid.
Did you even read it? I clearly says comorbidities.

Covid + something else=94%

Covid+ nothing = 6%

The poster asked why this wasn't major news.

It's not news, because the implication that 96% of deaths weren't caused by Covid is untrue. That underlying conditions are present in most Covid deaths (and in most Americans overall) also isn't news.
English - do you read it? NOWHERE did ANYBODY say that 94% weren't caused by COVID. It simply said that 94% had compounding factors helping COVID do the job.
AgE Doc
AG
Twitter removes QAnon supporter's false claim about coronavirus death statistics that Trump had retweeted
agracer
AG
If you really want to be pissed about this, realize that we had this data from Italy in MARCH!!!!
fullback44
AG
This is all over Twitter .. they may not want it out there but it will spread fast ... end all the bull**** now
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
We cannot believe ANY of the stats.

What is the US deaths per million compared to South Korea? Germany?

You don't know. I don't know. No one knows.
SMM48
AG
Those that think that are dolts and can't read
benchmark
AG
aggiehawg said:

Soo to recap in the last week, Barr is arresting people left and right on federal charges, a 17 year old kid takes out some violent protesters who were trying to hurt or kill him, and now Covid is a bust and BLM/Antifa are part of a Russian plot?

Horribad, not too good of week for the Dems.
Maybe it gets even better ... 60 more days of radical anarchy AND Durham's indictments.
Aggies2009
AG
I love how this got moved here because it shattered the narrative of corona bros on that forum. Well done, staff.
Aston04
AG
What's interesting is why isn't the media/CDC pushing a public wellness campaign to fight covid? Getting people in better shape is probably more important than mask use- which we never hear the end of about
aginlakeway
AG
Trump is going to Kenosha on Tuesday.

Where is Biden?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
AgE Doc
AG
Post removed:
by user
bam02
AG
amercer said:

The_Fox said:

Past time to open it all back up without masks or occupancy limits and if you are fat, diabetic, or have coronary issues, time to hit the treadmill.

For the statistical outliers that die, sucks but it was just your time.

So it turns out we're ok with death panels after all?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the American health care system is set up to save every life, at any cost. And Americans seem to like it that way. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the reaction to a heath crisis takes the same approach.

The family-owned restaurant down the street that is no longer in business is not "the American healthcare system".
Frok
AG
It wasn't a very "quiet" update, this story is all over social media since yesterday
rojo_ag
AG
If people are going insane on social media regarding this report because they believe it proves the virus is insignificant, they are simply trying to fuel their narrative.

6% of deaths are caused by Covid only. Okay, we knew that underlying conditions caused the disease to be more deadly. 60% of Americans have at least one of the underlying conditions. Many of these conditions are survivable without Covid. Sucks to be them, right?

Consider that in our country, we have over 200,000 excess deaths since March based on the 5 year average. These cannot all be contributed to people afraid to seek medical attention and suicides like some have suggested.
The_Fox
rojo_ag said:

If people are going insane on social media regarding this report because they believe it proves the virus is insignificant, they are simply trying to fuel their narrative.

6% of deaths are caused by Covid only. Okay, we knew that underlying conditions caused the disease to be more deadly. 60% of Americans have at least one of the underlying conditions. Many of these conditions are survivable without Covid. Sucks to be them, right?

Consider that in our country, we have over 200,000 excess deaths since March based on the 5 year average. These cannot all be contributed to people afraid to seek medical attention and suicides like some have suggested.

Yes. This is the correct response to COVID. Those people need to make the lifestyle changes necessary to reduce their risk or face the consequences.
FriscoKid
AG
I have known 3 people that committed suicide. All in their teens/ early 20's. I've known no one that died of Covid. You discounting the excess deaths cause is not a good idea.
FriscoKid
AG
You are making assumptions (just like people that assume that the mask is controlling the virus).
Aggies2009
AG
FriscoKid said:

I have known 3 people that committed suicide. All in their teens/ early 20's. I've known no one that died of Covid. You discounting the excess deaths cause is not a good idea.
I'd be interested in seeing the amount of suicides. Especially when studies in the past have shown that as unemployment rises, so does death by suicide, stress (heart issues), etc.

We already know that the risk of suicide to those under 18 is FAR greater than COVID is.
P.U.T.U
AG
Aggies2009 said:

FriscoKid said:

I'd be interested in seeing the amount of suicides. Especially when studies in the past have shown that as unemployment rises, so does death by suicide, stress (heart issues), etc.

We already know that the risk of suicide to those under 18 is FAR greater than COVID is.
Try up to age 60.

I have known over 50 people that have had Covid and none died, even some with preexisting conditions. I have known 7 people now that have committed suicide since Covid started.
Rocag
AG
FriscoKid said:

It's going to be nearly impossible to get an accurate number on how many people were killed/saved because of effects of the response to the coronavirus but not specifically due to the coronavirus such as suicides. For instance, where suicides might have gone up (though I've seen no info on whether or not they have) that could be balanced out by other factors. With large numbers of people working from home vehicular traffic is way down and it is therefore likely deaths due to car accidents are as well. Bars being closed has probably brought down the number of drinking and driving deaths in addition to that. So how are we to count those numbers? Should we at all?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
aggiehawg said:

So wait, wait, wait! Covid deaths are vastly over estimated but Senator Chris Murphy is saying Trump is "deliberately killing people" on twitter?

And the Cabinet too?

murphy sounds like the last kid in school to find out santa claus isn't real but he isn't going down without a fight.
RandyAg98
AG
Quote:

Quote:

RandyAg98 said:
Don't disagree. This is just not breaking news. We have known this from the get-go. The media just has not stressed this so they can promote fear.

I noticed your posting history is filled with posts on the coronabro board.
Now that the truth about the farce is out you poke your head up over here trying to continue the farce at all costs. How many lives and livelihoods are you willing to destroy because of your agenda. I bet if you looked at influenza that disproportionately affect the elderly you would find in most deaths additional underlying causes. At this point this is a criminal action undertaken by anyone who continues to promote this lie.

Umm, dude. Go read my posts on that board. I have been calling out this farce from the get-go, calling to open things up and shelter only the vulnerable. I don't know what posting history of mine you or the people who starred this have been reading.
rojo_ag
AG
The_Fox said:

rojo_ag said:

Yes. This is the correct response to COVID. Those people need to make the lifestyle changes necessary to reduce their risk or face the consequences.
I've already read all of your posts on this tread. Your stance is blatantly disgusting. Total lack of compassion for human life and reducing all things to a dollar sign in my opinion is walking on the road to perdition.
rojo_ag
AG
FriscoKid said:

You are making assumptions (just like people that assume that the mask is controlling the virus).
How? As spikes in cases raise, so do the excess deaths. How many suicides are we talking? 50%? And to meet the general tenor of this board regarding people with preexisting conditions and that they should take responsibility for their actions or suffer the consequences: Maybe those with mental health issues should seek treatment. You don't just one day off yourself without revealing warning signs.

I speak from experience because my mother took her life when I was 19 and a sophomore at A&M. She attempted it when I was 4.
FriscoKid
AG
rojo_ag said:

FriscoKid said:

How? As spikes in cases raise, so do the excess deaths. How many suicides are we talking? 50%? And to meet the general tenor of this board regarding people with preexisting conditions and that they should take responsibility for their actions or suffer the consequences: Maybe those with mental health issues should seek treatment. You don't just one day off yourself without revealing warning signs.

I speak from experience because my mother took her life when I was 19 and a sophomore at A&M. She attempted it when I was 4.
You are assuming the excess death is from COVID. Right? That's a big assumption and you have zero way of backing it up.
rojo_ag
AG
FriscoKid said:

I just responded to your posts out of order. I'm sorry for the families that have to deal with the loss of a loved one because of suicide. Not at all discounting.

"How many suicides are we talking about in the total? 50%? And to meet the general tenor of this board regarding people with preexisting conditions and that they should take responsibility for their actions or suffer the consequences: Maybe those with mental health issues should seek treatment. You don't just one day off yourself without revealing warning signs.

I speak from experience because my mother took her life when I was 19 and a sophomore at A&M. She attempted it when I was 4."
UnderoosAg
AG
rojo_ag said:

Maybe those with mental health issues should seek treatment. You don't just one day off yourself without revealing warning signs.

Losing a job, a business, a loved one, life savings, getting locked in your living room for five months, or some combination thereof seems to be crushing some folks who otherwise hadn't had previous problems. And it may be hard to seek treatment when you suddenly find yourself broke, without insurance, and discover a lot of doctors or clinics closed. Hell, my PCP completely shut down for four months.

My condolences on losing your mom that way.
Aggies2009
AG
rojo_ag said:

Maybe those with mental health issues should seek treatment. You don't just one day off yourself without revealing warning signs.

Maybe those with underlying conditions like obesity should fix them? You don't just die of COVID without underlying conditions.
rojo_ag
AG
FriscoKid said:

rojo_ag said:

FriscoKid said:

You are assuming the excess death is from COVID. Right? That's a big assumption and you have zero way of backing it up.
Not an assumption. Mirrors the spikes in cases. Are you suggesting that suicides or other unrelated deaths comprise the vast majority of these excess deaths? You have not proof to back up this claim. I'm certain if suicides made up many of the 200,000 excess deaths, we would know about it. Fox News would be screaming this fact from the rooftops if CNN and the major networks were not reporting this also.

This is FAKE News: NYT is the enemy of the people/F16 Posters

I see from this article, also fake news based on where it is from, that estimated 18,000 more suicides and 22,000 more overdoses. But, we both know about projections in this current climate. So, let's bump the number of non-Covid related deaths to 60,000. No, make it 100,000. Tragic. Severely tragic. What about the other 100,000 that should not have died and were most likely Covid related? Now, include the 180,000 that have died. How many excess deaths would we have if we did not initiate any mitigation measures?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/04/mental-health-coronavirus/

If people on this tread can argue that fats and olds and unhealthy should suffer the consequences of their actions. Should those that overdoes and commit suicide also face the consequences of their choices. You can't have it both ways. I contend that all of it is awful.

NB4: Covid death rates are inflated.

CanyonAg77
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.