A couple dozen missing children found in GA?

3,221 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ttu_85
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
26 kids found several arrested

Hat tip to Redstone actually. He posted this and I thought it needed its own thread.
CharlieBrown17
AG
policywonk98
AG
I've heard for years that Atlanta is the #1 sex trafficking city in the country. I think Houston is up there as well, but Houston is so much bigger than Atlanta and it near our southern border with an enormous Asian population as well, so they make sense.

What is deal with the Atlanta area? Is it because it exists as a large city between New York and Florida? I dont understand the dynamics at play in Atlanta versus all of the numerous other larger major metro areas. Is there more child neglect and abandonment in Atlanta?

Is it because they are big enough for trafficking, but small enough to not have the resources on guard to monitor the traffic on a constant basis?
AgBQ-00
AG
My guess is the transportation angle. Huge transportation hub that allows for access via air and ground and as you say large enough to go mostly unseen but not on the megalopolis size
Aggie95
AG
Hartsfield-Jackson (Atl) is the busiest airport in the world. I'm sure that is likely why ATL is a hotspot for trafficking.
YouBet
AG
policywonk98 said:

I've heard for years that Atlanta is the #1 sex trafficking city in the country. I think Houston is up there as well, but Houston is so much bigger than Atlanta and it near our southern border with an enormous Asian population as well, so they make sense.

What is deal with the Atlanta area? Is it because it exists as a large city between New York and Florida? I dont understand the dynamics at play in Atlanta versus all of the numerous other larger major metro areas. Is there more child neglect and abandonment in Atlanta?

Is it because they are big enough for trafficking, but small enough to not have the resources on guard to monitor the traffic on a constant basis?
How odd. I've never heard this. Between this and the apparently massive "on the downlow" gay population there it seems to be a weird place.

For the record, I'm in no way remotely tying these two things together as I have no issues with gay people. It's just a unique place is all.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I searched CNN's website for more information on this story and it's not mentioned anywhere. Why not?
The Debt
Moral decay and lack of orthodox Christianity go hand-in-hand
TREX01
Why would they arrest several of the missing children?
justcallmeharry
S
From the linked article...

"Operation Not Forgotten" resulted in the rescue of 26 children, the safe location of 13 children and the arrest of nine criminal associates. Additionally, investigators cleared 26 arrest warrants and filed additional charges for alleged crimes related to sex trafficking, parental kidnapping, registered sex offender violations, drugs and weapons possession, and custodial interference. The 26 warrants cleared included 19 arrest warrants for a total of nine individuals arrested, some of whom had multiple warrants."
aggie appraiser
It's a shame society doesn't have these men and women up on the pedestal rather than the ball bouncers. They are the real heroes.
Faustus
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/39-missing-children-found-georgia-us-marshals/

Quote:

The U.S. Marshals Service found 39 missing children in Georgia over two weeks in a mission known as "Operation Not Forgotten," the agency announced in a press release Thursday. The operation led to the rescue of 26 children and the safe location of 13 others.
. . .
"Other children were located at the request of law enforcement to ensure their wellbeing," the release continues. "USMS investigators were able to confirm each child's location in person and assure their safety and welfare."
. . .
Nine criminal associates were also arrested and investigators cleared 26 arrest warrants. Investigators also filed additional charges for alleged crimes related to sex trafficking, parental kidnapping, registered sex offender violations, drugs and weapons possession, and custodial interference, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.
. . .
The USMS said that last year it helped recover 295 missing children and has contributed to the recovery of a missing child in 75 percent of cases. Sixty-six percent of recovered missing children were recovered within a week of the USMS helping with the case, according to the release.
. . .
policywonk98
AG
CassiusClay said:

policywonk98 said:

https://www.koaa.com/news/digital-original/2017/12/19/human-trafficking-in-colorado-groups-advocate-for-new-laws-in-2018/

This highlights trafficking corridors pretty well.

So judging by this heat map, maybe the "#1 Trafficked" is more of a per capita stat. Atlanta is actually pretty small compared to lots of places. Its heat signature is high, but not as high as the places you would automatically assume.

Regardless, its always a bittersweet day to see the news of a ring getting busted. Proud of our law enforcement saving these kids. Heartbroken there are so many to save and this number, while big, is just the tip of the iceburg.
agracer
AG
Aggie95 said:

Hartsfield-Jackson (Atl) is the busiest airport in the world. I'm sure that is likely why ATL is a hotspot for trafficking.
Every time I go thru that airport I hear an announcement about child trafficking and 'if you see something say something"
Kill Switch
I've noticed that every time I get an Amber Alert, the person is driving a Chevrolet. I've decided to get rid of everyone in my life that drives a Chevy, they are all potential sex offenders.
YouBet
AG
agracer said:

Aggie95 said:

Every time I go thru that airport I hear an announcement about child trafficking and 'if you see something say something"
It's become a big internal push at airlines in the last year to educate their employees on this topic. I assume the Trump administration is pushing this considering his focus on this topic.
wreckncrew
AG
Lubbock also has a lot of trafficking going on as well from what I have been told. This is nuts.
Post removed:
by user
backintexas2013
AG
15 of them were being trafficked.
will25u
setsmachine
AG
Actually city of Atlanta is not that big, but Atlanta metro area is 6 million, Houston is 7 million. Big city and major transportation hub.
91AggieLawyer
AG
setsmachine said:

Actually city of Atlanta is not that big, but Atlanta metro area is 6 million, Houston is 7 million. Big city and major transportation hub.
Yeah, that's the thing about Atlanta. Within 4 hours by car, you can be in any of at least 8 states (WV is pushing it, but you can make it) in virtually any direction. With Houston, for example, it is 3, maybe 4, at the most and unless you want to stay in Texas, you have only 3, possibly 4 (sort of a combo), directions to go in. That's pretty unique in the US other than the Northeast in terms of states, but if you're looking to "get away," up there you pretty much have to go in a west and/or south. From Atlanta, you can go in any direction, bound only by the Atlantic and Gulf -- and there's plenty of places there, small and medium sized places to blend in. Everyone flies in and out of Atlanta directly.
BusterAg
AG
When it comes to transportation, Atlanta = Denver.

It's just a huge hub for the entire region.
BusterAg
AG
How do we start a gofundme to get every one of the people involved in this successful sting a new pick-up truck?
Actual Talking Thermos
Aggiebrewer said:

Hmmm

I'd like to see a blue/red county map & that sex trafficking map side by side

The heatmap of almost any human activity is going to look a lot like that - the blue parts of the country are the parts where the population is concentrated, and where you have the most people you have the most activity. Doesn't matter if it's the number of kidnapping cases or the number of bottles of Advil sold or the number of Amazon packages delivered.
Squadron7
AG
Before I can render a judgement on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I need to know if these were funded police or defunded police.
ttu_85
policywonk98 said:

Houston is not that much larger than Atlanta 7mill to 6.2mill and just look at Atl on a map. Looks the center of a huge spider web and that doesn't count it having the busiest airport on planet Earth And the fact it is a city buried in a forest. Its easier to hide stuff where the trees are 60' tall.
ttu_85
BusterAg said:

When it comes to transportation, Atlanta = Denver.

It's just a huge hub for the entire region.
Atlanta serves a much greater pop than Denver 3x the size. That said your point is spot on.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.