Several Longhorn band members say they won't play "The Eyes of Texas"

8,013 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Faustus
Clob94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.fox7austin.com/news/several-longhorn-band-members-say-they-will-not-perform-the-eyes-of-texas

Hayden says the Longhorn band is the biggest organization that plays the song for the largest amount of people most frequently, and their voices need to be heard.

All the members of LHBlacks agreed they will not be performing "The Eyes of Texas" at all this fall and several other band members of various ethnicities are following their lead.

Soooooooo let's create an organization inside another organization that identifies its members based solely on their race.................
YouBet
AG
Racism is so in right now.
The Sparrow Prince
Sounds like hell
DrEvazanPhD
Imagine...a world where there is so little racism, that one has to create terms like "micro aggression" and "dog whistle" to discover it.

What would the country look life if all white people actually were racist?
45-70Ag
AG
Kick them out of the band.
They don't have to be there.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
So pull the scholly...

Either do your job or gtfo....

This ain't hard & nobody gives a **** about your pretend causes
“Picture a black girl that joe biden wants to sniff”

-The Debt
TexAgs91
AG
45-70Ag said:

Kick them out of the band.
They don't have to be there.
And yank their scholarships.

Those kids act like they just found out their school plays Eyes of Texas. Dumbasses
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Trucker 96
Black longhorn band members. Keep it on the down looooow
oneeyedag
Holy Jesus, only three people will be there to witness it in person!
zephyr88
AG
Political wokeness and social/racial justice panderers will kill college football.

I don't think we have this issue in our band, but we sure do on our team.
Quito
AG
For once I agree with them...I wouldn't play that song either!
Kenneth_2003
AG
No problem with the song last year though.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Replace their azzes, can't be too many at tu anyway. Lots of Asians and Indians to take their place.
agent-maroon
AG
Far be it from me to defend anything sip, but going to war over this song's alleged racism is just plain stupid. I couldn't recall any racism in the lyrics so I googled up an article:

UT Professor Dr. Edmond Gordan explains the nodes of racism aren't in the 'The Eyes of Texas' lyrics but in the song's past.

TLDR - song is racist because black faced minstrels might have sang it to mock the school president and Robert E. Lee & the tune "I've been working on the railroad" was created by black laborers or Irish immigrants (they're not sure).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
monarch
S
The world as we know and love is crumbling.
Peace for Ukraine!
BigTex83
AG
It sounds like hell .... BTW
doubledog
Clob94 said:

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/several-longhorn-band-members-say-they-will-not-perform-the-eyes-of-texas

Hayden says the Longhorn band is the biggest organization that plays the song for the largest amount of people most frequently, and their voices need to be heard.

All the members of LHBlacks agreed they will not be performing "The Eyes of Texas" at all this fall and several other band members of various ethnicities are following their lead.

Soooooooo let's create an organization inside another organization that identifies its members based solely on their race.................

Ok then play "I've been working on the railroad"
UTExan
I wonder if members of the Tech band will refuse to play the raider fanfare because it is cultural appropriation of spanish musical style?

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
gonemaroon
AG
Someone post a picture of the two cutie pies
tbirdspur2010
AG
No one should play it, as the song sounds like hell.

Been saying it for years.
monarch
S
Sometimes I miss playing tt in football.
Peace for Ukraine!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
what are their times in the 40?
annie88
AG
Then they shouldn't be allowed to be in the band.
Artorias
AG
Good, it is a ****ty song.
Science Denier
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

No problem with the song last year though.

When the master says to be offended, they damn sure better be offended!!!!
LOL OLD
Rachel 98
AG
Quote:

"Once the football team released their statement, those conversations were happening well before, we didn't have the position to really be able to bring that forward, we're just the band. We do as we're told, kind of," Judson Hayden says.

Dang this guy should devote less time to SJW causes and more time to studying how to communicate a coherent thought in English.
JasonD2005
AG
take it to the tears thread...
JasonD2005
AG
Is anyone surprised at this dumbassery - from the institution that gave us masculinUT?
agent-maroon
AG
Rachel 98 said:

Quote:

"Once the football team released their statement, those conversations were happening well before, we didn't have the position to really be able to bring that forward, we're just the band. We do as we're told, kind of," Judson Hayden says.

Dang this guy should devote less time to SJW causes and more time to studying how to communicate a coherent thought in English.

He's a communication major. Putting that tu edjucation to work for the people.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Maroon Dawn
AG
They made all these worthless token gestures but refused to touch EoT despite its blatantly racist origins because it's a key part of the money making branding

Apparently even in Sipland, evil capitalist money still >>>>>> Woke Marxism
FratboyLegend
What a joke. Let's put that in context.

"Coach Herman, I know you gave me a scholarship to play RB, and I'll do my best, but I'm not running HB Counter because I don't agree with that playcall. I'll do everything else though."

Seems like a pretty easy response.
#CertifiedSIP
1997Aggie
AG
doubledog said:

Clob94 said:

Ok then play "I've been working on the railroad"
Well played.
HollywoodBQ
AG
As a former Aggie Bandsman, what I find most hilarious about this is that you don't play the lyrics, you play the tune.

Honestly, I still don't know the words to "Texas Our Texas" even though I've played the song hundreds of times.

So, what these genius players at t.u. are really complaining about is not "The Eyes of Texas" but instead, "I've Been Working On The Railroad".
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.