Harris County Commissioners Considering Tax Raise

5,043 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UTExan
TxAggieBand85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

During a special meeting of the Harris County Commissioners Court Thursday, new Budget Management Executive Director David Berry provided information on four possible tax rate scenarios. It included a plan to take advantage of a potential loophole in Texas law that could allow the county to raise property taxes by nearly eight percent.

https://thetexan.news/harris-county-to-consider-disaster-declaration-loophole-to-raise-property-tax-rate-above-sb-2-limit/

-------------

Never mind that Commissioners Court are already spending money to defend illegals in country or policies put people out of work. And then there is the street renaming going on.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
titan
S

Or ask for them to take an 8% pay cut in `solidarity'. Make it required.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
How about 8% up their ass?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Funky Winkerbean
AG
titan said:

Or ask for them to take an 8% pay cut in `solidarity'. Make it required.

For everyone on government payroll.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
TxAggieBand85
AG
C@LAg said:

Simple solution.

Move.

That is the typical retort I get when I post the idiocy of Seattle.
Indeed.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Does it really cost that much to underserve and destroy a city?
Artorias
AG
I have come to loathe the entire concept of property taxes, especially how they are handled here in Texas.

One of the big reasons we are moving to Tennessee.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Every time I see Dora (Judge McJuggs) I wanna puke.

(and lucky me, SJL is my congressional representative)

We might have to move!
Ciboag96

How about fire 25% of all city employees, and hire a bunch of these people who are unemployed from oil and gas who know how to get work done?

Who am I kidding.
themissinglink
AG
C@LAg said:

Simple solution.

Move.

Easy to say, but how many places are there in the country with similar job opportunities and a relatively low overall tax burden?

The solution is to vote these idiots out of office.
TAMU1990
AG
She in waaaay over her head.
Science Denier
AG
Lol. Libs **** up everything and ask for more money so they can **** up even more.
LOL OLD
P.H. Dexippus
AG
We could recall her for incompetence, but oops, we also have 100% Democrat state district judges in Harris Co.
aTm2004
AG
Artorias said:

I have come to loathe the entire concept of property taxes, especially how they are handled here in Texas.

My wife and I were talking about where we'd like to retire and to possibly start looking at land in areas we're interested in due to who knows how much things will cost in 30 years, and I told her I'd like to retire outside of Texas for this reason.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Exactly!

----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
c-jags
Artorias said:

i kinda like the concept of property taxes over state income.

i can live in a decent area that doesn't have insane taxes in a $100k house. i have the option to move to a nicer house or area with a higher property tax if i so desire. i don't really get a say so with a state income tax.

i'd rather just a flat sales tax instead of any income or property tax, but that sort of thought isn't allowed.

ETA: property taxes obviously aren't perfect. in Bell County we had numerous people have their property values "magically" double this last year. contesting it wasn't too hard though.
MaroonStain
AG
Opened the thread for Dora The Explorer memes.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Artorias
AG
c-jags said:

Artorias said:

i can live in a decent area that doesn't have insane taxes in a $100k house. i have the option to move to a nicer house or area with a higher property tax if i so desire. i don't really get a say so with a state income tax.

i'd rather just a flat sales tax instead of any income or property tax, but that sort of thought isn't allowed.

ETA: property taxes obviously aren't perfect. in Bell County we had numerous people have their property values "magically" double this last year. contesting it wasn't too hard though.
That is why we are moving to TN. No state income tax, and low property taxes.

Sales tax is slightly higher, but we can budget around that. There is no way to budget around some unelected official deciding what your house is worth, driving your mortgage payment up hundreds of dollars/month.

Yeah you can contest, good luck with that. We contested every year, and I think one of those years it actually resulted in anything meaningful.
waitwhat?
C@LAg said:

Simple solution.

Move.

And it's the correct response, Chaz.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
PA24
AG
Texas tax rates for property owners are crazy high especially the school tax.

We are looking to exit the state as it turns blue.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
These idiots don't seem to grasp that rate =/= revenue.

They can raise rates to 100% but 100% of 0 is still nothing.

They're in for a hell of a nasty surprise when it turns out HCAD valuations and reality start to diverge wildly.
aTm2004
AG
c-jags said:

Artorias said:

The thing about property taxes is the county can raise the value of your house each year if they need more money, so your $100k house may be worth $200k in 10 years after they max out the increase each year. You have zero say in that. Yeah, you can protest it, but how many wins do you think you'll get in a row? With income tax, you have more of a say in your annual income, and if you're in a job with a relatively low income ceiling (teacher, LEO, etc), an income tax is probably preferable. This is why I was against whatever prop was on the ballot recently about adding a constitutional amendment for the state to never have an income tax.
Artorias
AG
aTm2004 said:

c-jags said:

Artorias said:

The thing about property taxes is the county can raise the value of your house each year if they need more money, so your $100k house may be worth $200k in 10 years after they max out the increase each year. You have zero say in that. Yeah, you can protest it, but how many wins do you think you'll get in a row? With income tax, you have more of a say in your annual income, and if you're in a job with a relatively low income ceiling (teacher, LEO, etc), an income tax is probably preferable. This is why I was against whatever prop was on the ballot recently about adding a constitutional amendment for the state to never have an income tax.
The other thing about income tax, not that I am a huge fan, is that it goes up as your income goes up. It is predictable. For property tax, you can have the same income each year, but your tax bill go up hundreds or thousands of dollars a year, even if you have done nothing to increase the value of your home.

Our house appraisal value in Cedar Park doubled in 8 years, even though we had not done anything to the house to merit any substantial value increase. We painted and changed out floors. That is about it. The increase was due to tons of people moving into the area, driving prices up, and with that our property taxes.

Property taxes are quite the racket here in Texas. It is double dipping. Cedar Park was already getting a **** ton more tax revenue from all the people moving into the area, and then they turn around and drive the property taxes up on the people already living here to get even more money.

The other thing that irks me about property taxes, is you will never actually "own" your property. You simply rent it from the govt. Here in TX, the property rental prices are exorbitant. For the same house I could buy here in TX, in TN I will pay about 1/10 the property taxes.
fullback44
AG
C@LAg said:

Simple solution.

Move.

Well I've been wanting to move ... they just made that decision for me

F Htown
Kenneth_2003
AG
That's my commish!

Quote:

Last year, Radack and Cagle skipped a scheduled meeting at which commissioners were to vote on Hidalgo's proposal to raise property taxes by the eight percent allowable before SB 2 took effect. Without the necessary quorum, the county instead reverted to the "effective rate," or "no-new-revenue rate."
AgOutsideAustin
AG
C@LAg said:

Simple solution.

Move.

Now that was funny. Good job.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Had Cagle as an adjunct prof in law school. He's a cool dude.
iluvpoker
Clob94
Troutslime said:

How about 8% up their ass?
Some of us say 10%.
iluvpoker
Raise the homestead exemption to $100,000 for counties with population under 200,000 and to $200,000 for counties with population over 200,000.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
So that lower and middle class folks with multiple children would pay even less for public services than others? Instead of carve outs/exemptions, the rate should be decreased across the board.
iluvpoker
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

So that lower and middle class folks with multiple children would pay even less for public services than others? Instead of carve outs/exemptions, the rate should be decreased across the board.

To encourage home ownership. Helps to not price people out of their homes because the taxes go up and up and up!
Faustus
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Had Cagle as an adjunct prof in law school. He's a cool dude.
In my prior practice I was in front of Cactus Jack all the time in CCL #1.

Agreed.
Kozmozag
Not likely to get it passed. But if the can pick off either precient its game over for harris co.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.