75 years ago today

5,124 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JABQ04
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have read Father Miscamble's book as well as "Retribution," and yours is an excellent post.

Regarding Annie's post, let me again make a point I have made previously.

About a year ago my then 10-year-old granddaughter was taught a book in school based on a true story about a Japanese girl who survived Hiroshima but subsequently died of leukemia in the 1940s. Something about a 1000 paper cranes.

It is, as Annie pointed out, a tragic story about what happened to innocent victims (children) of an evil fascist system.

The point of the book, though, was that the girl had died because of the evil Americans.

As far as I know, the teacher involved did not mention we were at war with Japan, or anything about Japanese atrocities, or anything else. Now it is QUITE possible that some context about the war was given, but it was not much, and my granddaughter (who is pretty bright) did not absorb any of it. As far as she was concerned, one day the Americans dropped a bomb on Japan and eventually killed this little girl.

I let her know what actually happened. It is certainly a human thing to care about that girl's suffering, but she did not die because of the Americans or even because of the bomb. She died because she had the misfortune to grow up in a military dictatorship that wanted to rule Asia.

It is a terrible thing that the Japanese have been able to make most of the world forget their atrocities and to cast themselves in the role of victims.
JABQ04
AG
The 2nd atomic bomb is dropped on Nagasaki today, the city of Kokura is spared due to weather. Our 3rd atomic bomb was potentially scheduled to be used on August 19. Absolutely the correct thing to do. We either invade and take
Millions of allied casualties plus millions of Japanese or starve japan out killing hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Here's a neat video if any one is interested. He has a ton of great stuff on WWII, including the almost use of British aircraft and crews to drop the atomic bombs if we couldn't modify the B29 in time.

Johnny Danger
AG
annie88 said:

eric76 said:

Hiroshima on the left from August 6, 1945.

Nagasaki on the right from August 9, 1945.

It was the right thing to do then and it still is the right thing to have done today. No apologies. It seems as if people have just forgotten that Japan and Germany waged war on the world. We ended it.

I have had enough of these ****ing bleeding hearts getting upset about this. Yes it was horrible but you know what? so was the whole ****ing war. And son of a ***** if people don't remember they started it and somehow now want to blame the horrors of war on America.

How many more Americans and British and others on the good side were supposed to die?

When you look at Pearl Harbor, Bataan, and on and on and on, Why not those deaths? And don't give me any bull**** about civilians there were many civilians killed in Europe and the Pacific that got caught up in this war. Again a war that we finished.

And yes let me make it very clear before some jump in here and say we can still have compassion for those lost and maimed in these bombs. Of course we can. of course we did and of course we do. But that does not change the fact that it was the right decision.

Enough of this. Obama went around the whole damn world making an apology tour. America doesn't owe one ******* apology for WWII.
Grimey
Thanks for bringing up the effect of prolonged war on Allied POWs and civilians of Japanese occupied territory. God forbid we had let that turn into full-speed systematic genocide like the Nazis did once they figured out they were going to lose.

EDIT: Especially since the Japanese had proven themselves so brutal to other ethnic groups already without even "trying."
doubledog
August 1945, my father was on a ship on his way to Japan (after service in Europe) for an invasion that would result in many US solders deaths. The news came down of Japan's surrender and the ship turned around and headed back to a US port.

I truly believe that I am here today, my children are here and now my grandchildren are here due to those bombs dropped on Japan. Do not tell me it was the wrong thing to do.
JABQ04
AG
doubledog said:

August 1945, my father was on a ship on his way to Japan (after service in Europe) for an invasion that would result in many US solders deaths. The news came down of Japan's surrender and the ship turned around and headed back to a US port.

I truly believe that I am here today, my children are here and now my grandchildren are here due to those bombs dropped on Japan. Do not tell me it was the wrong thing to do.

That had to been the biggest kick to the nuts. Serve in Europe, win that war and then not have enough points to go home and start getting prepped to fight the Japanese. That would have made anything we saw in Europe look like a Cub Scout camp out if we actually invaded. My grandfather fought the Japanese on Iwo Jima, was able to get emergency leave when his mom died in August of 1945, and was ordered to stay home since the Japanese surrendered so soon afterwards.
richardag
StonewallAggieDEFENSE said:

Eisenhower inherited Truman's **** up of helping the French in Vietnam. Truman was pretty much a dumba$$ .
More complex than just the French in Vietnam. The British had huge rubber plantations all through souteast Asia and were in constant diplomatic contact with the US trying to enlist our aid.

My dad had a couple of very large notebooks with correspondence between our government and other governments concerning the communist threats in Southeast Asia.
beerad12man
AG
BigRobSA said:

Romello said:

I guess you shouldn't f with the USA.
Back then? No.

Now? We're wearing masks for a ****ing cold.

Yeah, we're ****ed if someone decides they want to get froggy. The pussified morons in this country would drop to their knees with their mouths open.

They are about to cancel college football over this s***. Even if you don't like it, that's the world we live in. Raging f***** Pu**** in charge. These people would piss themselves on the beaches of Normandy. Our founders would be embarrassed at what we are now
CanyonAg77
AG
The only thing wrong with Mark Felton videos is that I can't stop watching them.
JABQ04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The only thing wrong with Mark Felton videos is that I can't stop watching them.

100% correct. They're a good way to kill and hour or 3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.