The Jaybird Woodpecker war

3,347 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by p_bubel
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the talking points that I have seen is the Ross was somehow implicated for the disenfranchisement of black politicians in Fort Bend county after the Jaybird Woodpecker war.

That implication is entirely unfair.

There was a ton of racial tension in the Texas gulf area in the late 1880's, and it extended way further than Fort Bend county. A paper that discusses this at length (written in 1968) is here:

https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/2346/15468/31295005457121.pdf?sequence=1

After Ross settled the violence and acted as mediator, the Jaybirds dominated the county government. Apparently the reasons the Jaybirds got all of the offices were that none of the Woodpeckers had enough money to post a bond to run for office:
Quote:

The militia was dispatched to Richmond the same day and on the next. Governor Ross arrived to mediate personally the differences. The county government was completely disrupted, the sheriff was dead and only four justices of the peace and one county commissioner remained following a s e r i e s of resignations. The "Jaybirds" were still not in control, but they were about the only ones with sufficient wealth to make bonds for new officers. This they refused to do for members of the opposition. In September, the county judge resigned, as did the last county commissioner. The new appointees, members of the "Jaybird" group, now demanded new bonds for all remaining officers.
Posting a bond is still required for a lot of county offices in the state of Texas. It was unfortunate, and I guess Ross could have donated some of his personal wealth to pay for the bonds, but I'm not sure how people would have expected Ross to intervene.

Also, the Fort Bend county overthrow wasn't some isolated incident. Apparently Ross sent the militia to Matagorda county two years prior, in 1887, to settle down racial violence. From that paper:
Quote:

During the summer of 1887:

Suddenly the county became an armed camp as the Negroes secured weapons to defend themselves and a r m e d whites from Matagorda, Brazoria, Fort Bend, and Wharton counties appeared on the scene. Violence erupted and ended only after the death of five Negroes and the wounding of seven others . Governor L. S. Ross promptly dispatched the militia to prevent further lawlessness.
Some of the Woodpecker officials that were ousted even filed a Civil Rights Act lawsuit and settled out of court.

Ross's job at the Jaybird Woodpecker war was to establish the rule of law. Based on the information I have seen, it's unfair to claim that Ross was somehow responsible for the disenfranchisement of blacks that happened over the next several decades. This is something that was fought in the courts. It is unfortunate how it turned out, and the disenfranchisement is a great sin. But it seems to be revisionist history to try and pin any of that disenfranchisement on Ross in some way.

I'm interested in any other research that anyone does on this subject.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
CanyonAg77
AG
1) Thanks for your work
2) Anti-Sully forces don't care about facts
3) I know, I tried to engage with them
Stressboy
AG
Mond mentioning this in his letter shows he did not read the information or if he did not enough to understand the situation.

It was white democrats killing white republicans and a black man and 4 year old girl were killed in the crossfire.

Accounts stated that the blacks in Richmond fled as to get out of the way and the militia was called in.
BusterAg
AG
Stressboy said:

Mond mentioning this in his letter shows he did not read the information or if he did not enough to understand the situation.

It was white democrats killing white republicans and a black man and 4 year old girl were killed in the crossfire.

Accounts stated that the blacks in Richmond fled as to get out of the way and the militia was called in.
If you have more information and sources, I am interested. Trying to clean up the wikipedia article a little bit more.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
BusterAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

1) Thanks for your work
The facts are harder to find online than they should be. Just trying to bring some light to the situation for people that don't know more about it.

--Thomas Jefferson
titan
S
BusterAg said:

CanyonAg77 said:

1) Thanks for your work
The facts are harder to find online than they should be. Just trying to bring some light to the situation for people that don't know more about it.
You are doing a good service. But don't over-estimate the internet or wikipedia either. Something the present generations just don't understand is this: if it was not uploaded to read about, it is not there. But that has nothing to do with whether it is available or not. Some subjects like this are so narrow, unless someone who is also Wikipedia savvy had the book or papers about it, it wouldn't get uploaded.

You appear to be tackling that gap.
Stressboy
AG
The bottom of page 138 and top of 139 gives the best description of how the initial incident transpired.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:11449434-b6c7-4025-a3b4-f4363988d91f

As to the disenfranchisement, Sul Ross has nothing to do with the internal machinations of local elections or even trials. If you read the documents in detail you will see that Sul Ross first and foremost believed in blind Justice and the rule of law. He did all within his power to stop violence and have the integrators/ murderers no matter what color brought to justice. You see this in the numerous bounties he issues as Governor.

He could not ensure that juries or elections were done in the same way and to blame him for it is stupid.
BusterAg
AG
Holy crap that paper has a lot of important stuff in it about Ross and race relations. Thanks a lot for sending this.

--Thomas Jefferson
BusterAg
AG
Quote:

The Spanish camp butchers will all be brought to justice, or The Gazette is sadly
mistaken in Governor Ross. There will be protection for all people in Texas
under Sul Ross, regardless of color, age, sex or previous condition of servitude.
And this only is law, justice and liberty. Fort Worth Weekly Gazette, 6 April
1888, page 2
Dozens and dozens of similar quotes in there.

--Thomas Jefferson
Stressboy
AG
I DMed you a link to google books where the original article was digitized.

Edit to add link: middle column second paragraph.

https://books.google.com/books?id=FjIxAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1081&lpg=PA1081&dq=race+prejudice+in+Fort+Bend+county+resulted+in+the+death+of+two+white+men+and+one+negro+last+night&source=bl&ots=JQ6YgZXLfl&sig=ACfU3U0vC_EbuoSaRdtOLqCSa_-hlKyEyw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0rYSUoMPqAhUB16wKHfiQCfQQ6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=race%20prejudice%20in%20Fort%20Bend%20county%20resulted%20in%20the%20death%20of%20two%20white%20men%20and%20one%20negro%20last%20night&f=false
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I pretty much agree with OP, I'm glad someone found some other sources other than what I found but they all pretty much lead to that conclusion
hairloom
Stressboy said:

Go and look at Monds twitter account. Click his likes and view the nonsense he "likes". Ofcourse he doesn't read or even need a hint of evidence in order to believe something. His ideas of researching and learning comes from headlines only.
BusterAg
AG
NM. Not gonna do it. Someone else, have at it. [if you starred my earlier post]

--Thomas Jefferson
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
This thing happened in the late 1800s that no one knows about and which was in dispute even in the late 1800s.

But we totally have to figure it out because depending on what we find out about this obscure history thing, a statue might totally be racist...

*shrugs*
lb3
AG
DTP02
AG
BusterAg said:

Holy crap that paper has a lot of important stuff in it about Ross and race relations. Thanks a lot for sending this.

No kidding, contemporaneous report after report of how committed Sully was to equal protection under the law for blacks, and how this had substantial influence in improving the lot of black people in TX.

And this during a time when that was not a politically expedient stance, nor something which black people could hope for in most jurisdictions in the US.

And this stuff isn't the opinions of poltically biased historians looking back thru a biased lens, but of contemporaneous reporting from newspapers, both black and white, as well as citizens.
DTP02
AG
BusterAg said:

Which twitter account or hashtags should I truthbomb this weekend on ways that show Sully did a ton to protect black Texans? This article has like 35 quotes in it that show Sully went out of his way to protect black Texans from racial violence while he was governor.

From my brief perusal just now, 35 may be on the low side. It's really quite apparent that Sully not only made equal justice for black people a main priority of his administration, but that it was recognized as such by blacks at the time.
BusterAg
AG
DTP02 said:

BusterAg said:

Which twitter account or hashtags should I truthbomb this weekend on ways that show Sully did a ton to protect black Texans? This article has like 35 quotes in it that show Sully went out of his way to protect black Texans from racial violence while he was governor.

From my brief perusal just now, 35 may be on the low side. It's really quite apparent that Sully not only made equal justice for black people a main priority of his administration, but that it was recognized as such by blacks at the time.
He was respected so much at the time for his dealings with mob racial violence, that the Republican party didn't run a candidate against his second election for governor, but instead endorsed him against an independent citing the way he handled two big racial tension riots.

--Thomas Jefferson
titan
S

Damn this thread is getting interesting. Not only have you possibly found a way to save Sully, but you are giving reasons why if there had not been a monument to him, one should have been built. Impressive.
GAC06
AG
Gee I was waiting for our history department to tell us these things
titan
S
GAC06 said:

The route of accreditation is increasingly anti-Western hostile. Some peers had their departments closed and are fairly sure the position wouldn't exist today.
rosstradamas70
AG
GAC06 said:

doesn't support their 'current' political ideologies
ross skillman 70
BusterAg
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

This thing happened in the late 1800s that no one knows about and which was in dispute even in the late 1800s.

But we totally have to figure it out because depending on what we find out about this obscure history thing, a statue might totally be racist...

*shrugs*
Actually, the record is pretty clear.

Sully showed up, restored order, got both sides to agree on a neutral party to be Sheriff, and then left, letting the local politicians figure out their own county government.

He had a sterling record of stomping out any kind of mob or racially related violence, so I'm sure he left them with the reminder to avoid any future violence.

--Thomas Jefferson
BusterAg
AG
GAC06 said:

It is quite frankly sickening.

--Thomas Jefferson
ProgN
BusterAg said:

One of the talking points that I have seen is the Ross was somehow implicated for the disenfranchisement of black politicians in Fort Bend county after the Jaybird Woodpecker war.

That implication is entirely unfair.

There was a ton of racial tension in the Texas gulf area in the late 1880's, and it extended way further than Fort Bend county. A paper that discusses this at length (written in 1968) is here:

https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/2346/15468/31295005457121.pdf?sequence=1

After Ross settled the violence and acted as mediator, the Jaybirds dominated the county government. Apparently the reasons the Jaybirds got all of the offices were that none of the Woodpeckers had enough money to post a bond to run for office:
Quote:

The militia was dispatched to Richmond the same day and on the next. Governor Ross arrived to mediate personally the differences. The county government was completely disrupted, the sheriff was dead and only four justices of the peace and one county commissioner remained following a s e r i e s of resignations. The "Jaybirds" were still not in control, but they were about the only ones with sufficient wealth to make bonds for new officers. This they refused to do for members of the opposition. In September, the county judge resigned, as did the last county commissioner. The new appointees, members of the "Jaybird" group, now demanded new bonds for all remaining officers.
Posting a bond is still required for a lot of county offices in the state of Texas. It was unfortunate, and I guess Ross could have donated some of his personal wealth to pay for the bonds, but I'm not sure how people would have expected Ross to intervene.

Also, the Fort Bend county overthrow wasn't some isolated incident. Apparently Ross sent the militia to Matagorda county two years prior, in 1887, to settle down racial violence. From that paper:
Quote:

During the summer of 1887:

Suddenly the county became an armed camp as the Negroes secured weapons to defend themselves and a r m e d whites from Matagorda, Brazoria, Fort Bend, and Wharton counties appeared on the scene. Violence erupted and ended only after the death of five Negroes and the wounding of seven others . Governor L. S. Ross promptly dispatched the militia to prevent further lawlessness.
Some of the Woodpecker officials that were ousted even filed a Civil Rights Act lawsuit and settled out of court.

Ross's job at the Jaybird Woodpecker war was to establish the rule of law. Based on the information I have seen, it's unfair to claim that Ross was somehow responsible for the disenfranchisement of blacks that happened over the next several decades. This is something that was fought in the courts. It is unfortunate how it turned out, and the disenfranchisement is a great sin. But it seems to be revisionist history to try and pin any of that disenfranchisement on Ross in some way.

I'm interested in any other research that anyone does on this subject.

Gig'em

Your move SJWs
DTP02
AG
GAC06 said:

The history dept came out with their own anti-Sully statement that was clearly politically biased and which completely lacked specificity, essentially saying that because Sully was governor of TX during a time when the country, and especially the south, including TX, discriminated against blacks, he was responsible for that discrimination.

It wholly failed to view his tenure using a contemporaneous lens. I don't even know if the "historians" realize the obvious shortcomings and bias in their views, or if they're so steeped in the standard liberal arts CRT/Marxist dogma that they think their read is accurate. It doesn't matter, however, because "diversity" in academia does not extend to diversity of thought (even though this should be the starting point for diversity in academia, rather than melanin content or sexual proclivities), so there is no one in their dept or school to challenge them.
BusterAg
AG
DTP02 said:

GAC06 said:

The history dept came out with their own anti-Sully statement that was clearly politically biased and which completely lacked specificity, essentially saying that because Sully was governor of TX during a time when the country, and especially the south, including TX, discriminated against blacks, he was responsible for that discrimination.

It wholly failed to view his tenure using a contemporaneous lens. I don't even know if the "historians" realize the obvious shortcomings and bias in their views, or if they're so steeped in the standard liberal arts CRT/Marxist dogma that they think their read is accurate. It doesn't matter, however, because "diversity" in academia does not extend to diversity of thought (even though this should be the starting point for diversity in academia, rather than melanin content or sexual proclivities), so there is no one in their dept or school to challenge them.
Some enterprising young current student could make a hell of an interesting Batt article trashing the history department for this, no?

--Thomas Jefferson
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
BusterAg said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

*shrugs*

Sully showed up, restored order, got both sides to agree on a neutral party to be Sheriff, and then left, letting the local politicians figure out their own county government.

He had a sterling record of stomping out any kind of mob or racially related violence, so I'm sure he left them with the reminder to avoid any future violence.
IDGAF and no one outside of the worst history nerds or people damned determined to remake Texas A&M ever heard of it. It's absurd.

"Sully saved A&M!"

"Yeah, but did you hear about the woodpeckers?"
p_bubel
Anyone else amused that this "conversation" is only being brought to the Politics Forum and not the History Forum?
BusterAg
AG
p_bubel said:

Anyone else amused that this "conversation" is only being brought to the Politics Forum and not the History Forum?
If there wasn't a HUGE political issue about a certain statue in front of the Academic building, this post would get moved to the history board by the mods.

As it is, the History department at Texas A&M lied to the students about the real character of Sul Ross due to their ideology. Completely unprofessional, and, frankly disgusting.

--Thomas Jefferson
BusterAg
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

BusterAg said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

*shrugs*

IDGAF and no one outside of the worst history nerds or people damned determined to remake Texas A&M ever heard of it. It's absurd.

"Sully saved A&M!"

"Yeah, but did you hear about the woodpeckers?"
That might have been true once upon a time. But then Kellen Mond tweeted a completely biased article about it.

--Thomas Jefferson
p_bubel
BusterAg said:

p_bubel said:

I

As it is, the History department at Texas A&M lied to the students about the real character of Sul Ross due to their ideology. Completely unprofessional, and, frankly disgusting.

I 100% agree.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.