Great Covid Results

13,512 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Not Coach Jimbo
agforlife97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
titan said:

Are we stopping our exhale going out; or everyone's else's exhale "coming in"?
I believe we're trying to protect people from us when we wear a mask, but it's hard to keep up.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
titan said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

hunterntexas said:

If a person is truly deserving of the ER, does it matter if they are having serious medical issues that aren't COVID-19 related?
I think not. When I thought my appendix was going to burst, I wasn't that worried that I didn't have flu-like symptoms.
Elective surgeries can be postponed if the admitting hospital is nearing capacity.
No, obviously an emergency is still an emergency, even in COVID times. The problem early on was the messaging was too strong about staying away from the hospital, that many of our strokes, heart attacks, and surgical disasters were waiting too long to come in. But now that everyone thinks this is over, we are starting to see people come in to get their blood pressure checked again because it was too high at home, and we are seeing our frequent flyers who abuse the hospital system again, who mysteriously were absent for the 2 months prior.
Dr., I keep hearing contradictory versions --both persusaive, but can't tell which is true.

Regarding non N95 or more medical special masks, of the more the generiic kind and bandana's, are we:

1) Trying to keep our own `in' on the inside side of the mask and away from others?

2) Or, we are trying to keep `outisdie' from outside our face?

Either way, I will wear the mask where others are because that is the courtesy. But which are you really trying to block when don't have the "medical" kind?

It seems very obvious to me if you have not had it, and no one has been in your car at all, you wouldn't need to wear it driving.And so forth.

But to be clear, as this goes back and forth on many threads and news --- asking only ONE thing.

Let me start with this. Anyone that tells you they definitively know that masks work or don't work at preventing the spread of COVID is full of ****. It logically makes sense that it should help, but we really don't know with regards to regular, non-medical grade masks. The primary reason to wear a mask is to prevent you from spreading to others, due to masks preventing the spread of respiratory droplets. I certainly don't wear my mask while driving, however, as that is pointless. Outside of N95s/P100s, masks do not prevent you from inhaling COVID due to not having a tight fit, and the material not being able to filter out viruses as small as COVID.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
titan
S
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

titan said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

hunterntexas said:

If a person is truly deserving of the ER, does it matter if they are having serious medical issues that aren't COVID-19 related?
I think not. When I thought my appendix was going to burst, I wasn't that worried that I didn't have flu-like symptoms.
Elective surgeries can be postponed if the admitting hospital is nearing capacity.
No, obviously an emergency is still an emergency, even in COVID times. The problem early on was the messaging was too strong about staying away from the hospital, that many of our strokes, heart attacks, and surgical disasters were waiting too long to come in. But now that everyone thinks this is over, we are starting to see people come in to get their blood pressure checked again because it was too high at home, and we are seeing our frequent flyers who abuse the hospital system again, who mysteriously were absent for the 2 months prior.
Dr., I keep hearing contradictory versions --both persusaive, but can't tell which is true.

Regarding non N95 or more medical special masks, of the more the generiic kind and bandana's, are we:

1) Trying to keep our own `in' on the inside side of the mask and away from others?

2) Or, we are trying to keep `outisdie' from outside our face?

Either way, I will wear the mask where others are because that is the courtesy. But which are you really trying to block when don't have the "medical" kind?

It seems very obvious to me if you have not had it, and no one has been in your car at all, you wouldn't need to wear it driving.And so forth.

But to be clear, as this goes back and forth on many threads and news --- asking only ONE thing.

Let me start with this. Anyone that tells you they definitively know that masks work or don't work at preventing the spread of COVID is full of ****. It logically makes sense that it should help, but we really don't know with regards to regular, non-medical grade masks. The primary reason to wear a mask is to prevent you from spreading to others, due to masks preventing the spread of respiratory droplets. I certainly don't wear my mask while driving, however, as that is pointless. Outside of N95s/P100s, masks do not prevent you from inhaling COVID due to not having a tight fit, and the material not being able to filter out viruses as small as COVID.
Excellent, thanks. Very clear answer, and fitting the more persuasive side of the two possible choices.

Thanks for the response.
aggiebq03+
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

I generally don't have people constantly calling me a troll for talking about statistics and graphs in real life.

I get called sweetheart frequently by boomers in a professional setting, are you saying it's condescending or patronizing? I didn't realize I should be so offended. Feminists argue the same thing... but I'm not a feminist, and prescribe the label of sweetheart equally to both sexes because I am also not a sexist.

It's not a very professional office in 2020 if people are calling you sweetheart. And it is condescending when you call a man you don't know sweetheart because they disagree with you. If you didn't know that already, that's your lesson learned for the day.
Trucker 96
Masks help contain droplet transmission. Are they foolproof? No. Is it important that people use them correctly to help improve their effectiveness (i.e. sanitize your hands before putting on and taking off, try to minimize face-touching)? Yes. But people clinging to some thought that they absolutely don't work at all is ridiculous. They are a tool that can provide some help and I see it as a basic courtesy right now.
titan
S
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Masks help contain droplet transmission. Are they foolproof? No. Is it important that people use them correctly to help improve their effectiveness (i.e. sanitize your hands before putting on and taking off, try to minimize face-touching)? Yes. But people clinging to some thought that they absolutely don't work at all is ridiculous. They are a tool that can provide some help and I see it as a basic courtesy right now.
That's exactly what I got out of that and sortof already believed. Since I can't be sure if have it (as sure as can be don't) the courtesy thing is when others are wearing them, not to just defeat what they are trying to do.

If none are, then I can just judge what I think the risk level is. It confirmed what I thought that its for others, not yourself, and so when alone, its academic. Especially in locations where you know with certain who or has or hasn't been there. But I know some people wearing them in their houses.
Trucker 96
And I don't think the government should be fining or jailing people for not wearing them. But it would be nice to see a little more voluntary courtesy right now. We're all so obsessed about what might be taken away that I think some rational compromise is being lost.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
All of this testing data and what not does not matter at this point. We have to get to herd immunity, and that's done by exposure or by vaccine. There is no vaccine so exposure is the only way this thing eventually goes away. If you are high risk, take precautions. Everyone else, live you life. If you are scared, stay home but don't criticize the rest of us who choose living our lives on our terms.
Trucker 96
I think we need to get to herd immunity as well, but given masks aren't 100% effective, that's why I think it's a method that gets us there in a reasonably controlled manner. One that prevents businesses from shutting down or the more drastic measures we've seen. I can also acknowledge that some of these high risk people do still have to live their life to some degree too. They have to take care of some of the basics that the rest of us do.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
titan said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

That's exactly what I got out of that and sortof already believed. Since I can't be sure if have it (as sure as can be don't) the courtesy thing is when others are wearing them, not to just defeat what they are trying to do.

If none are, then I can just judge what I think the risk level is. It confirmed what I thought that its for others, not yourself, and so when alone, its academic. Especially in locations where you know with certain who or has or hasn't been there. But I know some people wearing them in their houses.

Wouldn't the courteous thing be to just shut your mouth and make your choice either way without expecting someone else to accommodate you?
titan
S
SociallyConditionedAg said:

titan said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Wouldn't the courteous thing be to just shut your mouth and make your choice either way without expecting someone else to accommodate you?
I guess they could do that thing but they keep talking about it. I just wanted to know which thing is trying to prevent.
Sgt. Schultz
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

I'm just going to let the doctor on this board speak instead and tap out.
Gap
AG
Another fantastic chart on U.S. testing:

To continue the 7 day rolling average from where the chart leaves off, we are at 5.2% as of June 21.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Deaths is the only statistic that matters. There is so much noise in every other data point.

BusterAg
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Deaths is the only statistic that matters. There is so much noise in every other data point.

There is noise in that datapoint too.

We don't have a statistic of how many deaths COVID has caused. We only have a statistic on how many people died while having the virus, even if the death was caused from something unrelated.
thirdcoast
AG
nortex97 said:

We've vastly increased testing in Texas and the positive rate has gradually gone from 5 to 10 percent. A lot of those are false positives though now as the cheap/not-really-fda-cleared tests have become much more prevalent. In truth anything at/around 10 or 12 percent isn't a reason to panic. We also had some of the largest marches/protests/stupidity around whatever BLM/Antifa said (though relatively less looting than elsewhere).

Nationally, the positive rate of those taking the test has not jumped much (still around 5). In Louisiana, it's dropped to 3 percent, and in Oklahoma, where our national press has tried to convince people the entire state is going to die next month, it's around 7. Frankly, the positive rate of tests taken is what matters, not 'total cases' etc.

The Italians have about had it with the alarmists/coronabros, and think it might just go away;

Quote:

Zangrillo said some experts were too alarmist about the prospect of a second wave of infections and politicians needed to take into account the new reality.

"We've got to get back to being a normal country," he said. "Someone has to take responsibility for terrorizing the country."

The government urged caution, saying it was far too soon to claim victory.

"Pending scientific evidence to support the thesis that the virus has disappeared ... I would invite those who say they are sure of it not to confuse Italians," Sandra Zampa, an undersecretary at the health ministry, said in a statement."The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today," said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa.

"It is clear that today the COVID-19 disease is different."

I think it's safe to say there are many more false negatives than false positives. Especially when it comes to official tests done at official testing locations that make it into data set.
Science Denier
AG
They have a decent way to treat it now. HCQ with zinc and zpac works and it's no longer banned.

So, now you hear "cases" instead of "deaths.
LOL OLD
rangerdanger
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

This is what bothers me about the mask narrative. When someone asks me why I wear one, I say it's for their benefit, not mine. Some A&M logo fabric from JoAnns is not going to protect me from this thing. Might save the 70 year old cashier at Kroger trying to supplement her social security check though.
hairloom
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

Not yet
EXPONENTIAL!!!!
ApachePilot
AG
Got tested today. Positive IgG. So I had it prior. I had a chest cold (I thought) in January. It was way less painful than the flu.

I got zero medical treatment. Never missed work. I'm 47.
BigRobSA
rangerdanger said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

This is what bothers me about the mask narrative. When someone asks me why I wear one, I say it's for their benefit, not mine. Some A&M logo fabric from JoAnns is not going to protect me from this thing. Might save the 70 year old cashier at Kroger trying to supplement her social security check though.

Think about that...it can't protect you (in) but it can protect them from you (out).

Laughable, at best. It's cloth....porous equally in and out.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
bmks270
AG
ApachePilot said:

Got tested today. Positive IgG. So I had it prior. I had a chest cold (I thought) in January. It was way less painful than the flu.

So you have the antibodies? But never got sick?
riverrataggie
AG
bmks270 said:

ApachePilot said:

He got sick. He got the cold.
DeWrecking Crew
BigRobSA said:

rangerdanger said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Think about that...it can't protect you (in) but it can protect them from you (out).

I'm anti-mask, but there is a difference between droplets and aerosols. The masks stop the droplets, only the N-95 stop the aerosols. Both can transmit Covid-19
rangerdanger
AG
BigRobSA said:

rangerdanger said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

If we are ever in the same store together, "you're welcome" in advance my man.
ApachePilot
AG
bmks270 said:

ApachePilot said:

Felt like a chest cold. Very dry cough. It was pretty weak minus the cough. It didn't bother me too much. No temp. Nothing but the cough. I did try running while sick and it made it hard to breath. I kinda thought it was cedar allergies at the time. If I hadn't heard of Covid a month later I wouldn't have thought much of it.
Not Coach Jimbo
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

Not yet

28 days and still waiting...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.