Great Covid Results

13,525 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Not Coach Jimbo
beerad12man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bbbb poster has a really weird obsession with calling people hun/sweetheart/sweetie.

It's borderline pervish, definitely sexist, but mostly just a backhanded insult to anyone not in 100% agreement with him because he/she can't handle a difference of opinion.
aggiebq03+
It's an attempt to get a rise out of someone, to call him a name in return so the mods can be called to issue a ban. I suppose the mods will eventually get tired of this troll account and it will be on to the next sock in the drawer.
beerad12man
AG
And FWIW, I've never claimed it's over. Nor that it's just like the flu. I think it's clearly worse and we need to be taking some precautions/additional measures. But I certainly hope we don't go backwards in any of our policies, such as any more shut downs or reducing capacities any more. I think in general, we are still fine in terms of our hospital usage.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
The TC Jester said:

It's not over. We're finally hitting our first wave. What did everyone expect??? Could have faced this sooner.

Me (39) and my wife (37) have had it, as have some of our friends and family members. The flu is WAY worse in the vast majority of cases. Remember that you are disproportionately seeing the exceptions. Any flu or cold or sinus infection I have ever had was significantly worse than this.
Yes, for YOU, the flu was worse. I have never had to admit a 20 year old for flu, let alone the ICU, except for one case when they were pregnant. It happens, but it is exceptionally rare. I have admitted 2 to the ICU in the last week for COVID. I had one that developed an acute coronary occlusion due to COVID at 27 years old. I typically have to intubate 2-3 40-50 year olds a flu season, I've done that three times in just the last week for COVID. This is significantly worse than the flu based on the numbers and my own anecdotal experience, its really not even debatable for those that are caring for these patients.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
samurai_science
The current science from the CDC and Stanford show the virus is less deadly than the flu.

We have at LEAST 17 good studies showing a mask does not slow the spread of the flu, this virus is no different.

Let me know when we get close to 2.2 million deaths or above a .25% death rate for those infected.

The TC Jester
beerad12man said:

And FWIW, I've never claimed it's over. Nor that it's just like the flu. I think it's clearly worse and we need to be taking some precautions/additional measures. But I certainly hope we don't go backwards in any of our policies, such as any more shut downs or reducing capacities any more. I think in general, we are still fine in terms of our hospital usage.

I disagree. Aside from some very rare exceptions, I think it's worse than the flu only in the extreme elderly and sick. The flu is intense.
beerad12man
AG
I'm saying in general, it's worse for the population / hospitals because of how much quicker it spreads. Therefore how many more overall cases we'll have.

Not going to get into arguments about case to case basis.
agforlife97
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

The TC Jester said:

It's not over. We're finally hitting our first wave. What did everyone expect??? Could have faced this sooner.

Me (39) and my wife (37) have had it, as have some of our friends and family members. The flu is WAY worse in the vast majority of cases. Remember that you are disproportionately seeing the exceptions. Any flu or cold or sinus infection I have ever had was significantly worse than this.
Yes, for YOU, the flu was worse. I have never had to admit a 20 year old for flu, let alone the ICU, except for one case when they were pregnant. It happens, but it is exceptionally rare. I have admitted 2 to the ICU in the last week for COVID. I had one that developed an acute coronary occlusion due to COVID at 27 years old. I typically have to intubate 2-3 40-50 year olds a flu season, I've done that twice in just the last week for COVID. This is significantly worse than the flu based on the numbers and my own anecdotal experience, its really not even debatable for those that are caring for these patients.
Definitely interesting, I hope you keep sharing your experiences in San Antonio for the board. It's much better to get the info directly from docs on the ground than the local news media.
aggiebq03+
Curious to hear your opinion if we are more prepared to deal with it now than two months ago, or even one month ago? Seems we could have started this process and been much further along with more people through to the other side already, but figure there has to be more preparedness now than several months ago.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

If you can't come to any conclusions from that... I mean good for you, sweetheart.

You seemed to imply it was a bad thing, when it's clearly not. Zero case count was never anyone's goal, at any point the last several months.

Thought you might care to explain, but sort of figured your reply would be more like the one above...
we test 500 people, only 5% are positive.

We test 800 people, 8% are postive.

The sample size grew, and yet the amount of people per 100 also grew. This is troublesome. Do I need to spell it out more?
The TC Jester
Coronary occlusion in a healthy 27 y/o male or was he morbidly obese? Genuinely curious.

Crazy to think this virus could just randomly cause artery blockage.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
aggiebq03+ said:

Curious to hear your opinion if we are more prepared to deal with it now than two months ago, or even one month ago? Seems we could have started this process and been much further along with more people through to the other side already, but figure there has to be more preparedness now than several months ago.
I actually think our hospitals were more prepared when the shutdowns started, primarily due to patients actually staying away from the hospital and hospitals stopping all elective procedures. Now, we have less beds in our hospital given we have basically gone almost all the way back to standard operations, outside of taking increased precautions. On a personal level, I am much more prepared, and I have much more information, experience, and comfort caring for this, but it still can get overwhelming when 6 check into your ER within 30 minutes of each other and you have no beds to put them in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rgag12
AG
The TC Jester said:

Coronary occlusion in a healthy 27 y/o male or was he morbidly obese? Genuinely curious.

Causes car crashes and spontaneous gun shot wounds too!
aggiebq03+
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

aggiebq03+ said:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

If you can't come to any conclusions from that... I mean good for you, sweetheart.

You seemed to imply it was a bad thing, when it's clearly not. Zero case count was never anyone's goal, at any point the last several months.

Thought you might care to explain, but sort of figured your reply would be more like the one above...
we test 500 people, only 5% are positive.

We test 800 people, 8% are postive.

The sample size grew, and yet the amount of people per 100 also grew. This is troublesome. Do I need to spell it out more?

I understand math. But that doesn't explain why it's troublesome, so yes spell it out. We were never going to get through this without a large part of the population getting infected.
Forum Troll
AG
The TC Jester said:

Its been known to cause hypercoagulability (increased clotting).

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-hypercoagulability

Article is made for MDs but the info is there.
hunterntexas
AG
If a person is truly deserving of the ER, does it matter if they are having serious medical issues that aren't COVID-19 related?
I think not. When I thought my appendix was going to burst, I wasn't that worried that I didn't have flu-like symptoms.
Elective surgeries can be postponed if the admitting hospital is nearing capacity.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
I'm just going to let the doctor on this board speak instead and tap out. I am a mere troll payed by Soros so everything I say is BS anyways. Hopefully you will listen to doctors, scientists and the like.
aggiebq03+
Thanks for the reply. Makes me think we should have done less to initially shut down, and more to open up sooner to even all this out. Hope we learn from the experience and never do a full-stop close everything approach again. Seems to have just kicked the can down the road for no real gain.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
rgag12 said:

The TC Jester said:

Causes car crashes and spontaneous gun shot wounds too!
It is well known to lead to increased incidence of acute coronary occlusions as it leads to increased incidence of thrombosis due to endothelial damage. 27 is the youngest non-dissection related coronary occlusion I and the cardiologist who cared for him had ever seen. This individual had no previous medical problems and was not obese.
BigRobSA
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

I'm just going to let the doctor on this board speak instead and tap out. I am a mere troll payed by Soros so everything I say is BS anyways. Hopefully you will listen to doctors, scientists and the like.

I do:

Masks are ineffective idiocy.
COVID is weaksauce
Washing hands regularly is the best defense.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
Funny that calling someone sweetheart makes you worry that people could be so insecure they could lash out at the point of being banned.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
hunterntexas said:

If a person is truly deserving of the ER, does it matter if they are having serious medical issues that aren't COVID-19 related?
I think not. When I thought my appendix was going to burst, I wasn't that worried that I didn't have flu-like symptoms.
Elective surgeries can be postponed if the admitting hospital is nearing capacity.
No, obviously an emergency is still an emergency, even in COVID times. The problem early on was the messaging was too strong about staying away from the hospital, that many of our strokes, heart attacks, and surgical disasters were waiting too long to come in. But now that everyone thinks this is over, we are starting to see people come in to get their blood pressure checked again because it was too high at home, and we are seeing our frequent flyers who abuse the hospital system again, who mysteriously were absent for the 2 months prior.
dBoy99
AG
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

Also, to emphasize, you know why people say 2 weeks, right? It's because hospitalizations and deaths trail positive cases by 1-3 weeks. This has always been true and never been disputed, so not sure why it's a meme or a joke all of a sudden.

Where have you been? You're not sure why it's a joke all of a sudden?

Here in the real world "2 weeks" has been a joke since DAY ONE!

I am part of the problem and you're the victim...
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
dBoy99 said:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

Also, to emphasize, you know why people say 2 weeks, right? It's because hospitalizations and deaths trail positive cases by 1-3 weeks. This has always been true and never been disputed, so not sure why it's a meme or a joke all of a sudden.

Where have you been? You're not sure why it's a joke all of a sudden?

Here in the real world "2 weeks" has been a joke since DAY ONE!
In the real world, a lot of people guess correctly two weeks before the country shut down, where most major news channels were saying it's just the flu.

People didn't say "wait two weeks" when we were in lockdown, because the R0 was reduced to almost nothing. Now that it's back on, it's back to wait two weeks--as that is the typical time frame for symptoms to move in severity and the time frame from when someone is hospitalized to when they decease. This is all based on statistical fact, so.... not sure what is funny about it?
BigRobSA
The entire response to this weak-ass wannabe "fru" is hilarious, or would be if it wasn't idiotic and an economy destroyer.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
rgag12
AG
The mods should change this thread title to, "Coronabros 2: Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Get Back Out Of The Bunker"
Charpie
AG
masks work for the idiots who insist on going out sick. I'm all about opening things up, but the average person is a ****ing moron who isn't washing their hands.
aggiebq03+
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

Funny that calling someone sweetheart makes you worry that people could be so insecure they could lash out at the point of being banned.

Who said anything about being worried?

Do you generally call other adults you don't know sweetheart in person, or is it just an internet thing? Seems weird either way.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
I generally don't have people constantly calling me a troll for talking about statistics and graphs in real life.

I get called sweetheart frequently by boomers in a professional setting, are you saying it's condescending or patronizing? I didn't realize I should be so offended. Feminists argue the same thing... but I'm not a feminist, and prescribe the label of sweetheart equally to both sexes because I am also not a sexist.
BigRobSA
Charpie said:

masks work for the idiots who insist on going out sick. I'm all about opening things up, but the average person is a ****ing moron who isn't washing their hands.

No, masks dont work.

And yes, most people are animals. Deal with it daily.

The Fife
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

Quote:

And side note places like Japan and Taiwan have to wear masks because as we all know they don't respect people's personal space. I taught my child this weekend how to respect other's personal space.
I don't ever post in this forum, and I don't care to debate all this Covid-19 stuff, but you've clearly never been to Japan! You realize Japan isn't China, right?
Username definitely checks out!
titan
S
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

hunterntexas said:

No, obviously an emergency is still an emergency, even in COVID times. The problem early on was the messaging was too strong about staying away from the hospital, that many of our strokes, heart attacks, and surgical disasters were waiting too long to come in. But now that everyone thinks this is over, we are starting to see people come in to get their blood pressure checked again because it was too high at home, and we are seeing our frequent flyers who abuse the hospital system again, who mysteriously were absent for the 2 months prior.
Dr., I keep hearing contradictory versions --both persusaive, but can't tell which is true.

Regarding non N95 or more medical special masks, of the more the generiic kind and bandana's, are we:

1) Trying to keep our own `in' on the inside side of the mask and away from others?

2) Or, we are trying to keep `outisdie' from outside our face?

Either way, I will wear the mask where others are because that is the courtesy. But which are you really trying to block when don't have the "medical" kind?

It seems very obvious to me if you have not had it, and no one has been in your car at all, you wouldn't need to wear it driving.And so forth.

But to be clear, as this goes back and forth on many threads and news --- asking only ONE thing.

Are we stopping our exhale going out; or everyone's else's exhale "coming in"?
Charpie
AG
Rob I almost always agree with you, primo. But this is where you are wrong.

If you don't want to wear one, fine. Stay the eff away from me.

We could open the whole shebang up IF people respected other people's spaces. They freaking don't. So more people get sick.

Go ahead and get covid. I want to spend my money shopping and heading out. But idiots are the ones who are ruining the reopening of the state.
The TC Jester
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

I generally don't have people constantly calling me a troll for talking about statistics and graphs in real life.

I get called sweetheart frequently by boomers in a professional setting, are you saying it's condescending or patronizing? I didn't realize I should be so offended. Feminists argue the same thing... but I'm not a feminist, and prescribe the label of sweetheart equally to both sexes because I am also not a sexist.

You're very weird
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
The TC Jester said:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb said:

You're very weird
Lol...starred

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.