Poster Boy for Uninformed Voters gets 40% (54,387 Idiots) in SBOE Dist. 5 Race

6,420 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DD88
DD88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is your ballot for State Board of Education District 5
A. Inga Cotton
B. Lani Popp
C. Robert Morrow

D. Don't Vote because you know nothing about the candidates or you might elect someone like this:

And yet, he is now in a runoff on May 26th getting 54,387 votes (40.12%) with absolutely no experience for the position.

How does this happen? He picks a race against others with unusual names like Lani Popp (his runoff opponent) and Inga Cotton. He relies on the Uninformed Voter with no knowledge of the candidates to pick a name they somehow identify with. Anyone who actually knows about him and voted for him is an even bigger idiot.

Lewd tweets, the N-word and just plain weirdness: A wild-card candidate rattles education board races.
Quote:

With his history of sexist, racist rhetoric and incomprehensible, conspiracy-laden rants, Robert Morrow has become one of the most unifying political figures in Texas.

Almost no one Democrat or Republican, wealthy or poor, old or young wants to see him elected to the State Board of Education, the 15-member body that decides what millions of public school children learn. Yet according to political pollsters, Morrow's chances in this March's Republican primary can't be ruled out.

"The probability is probably pretty low that he comes out of this, but it's not zero," said Jim Henson, director of the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas at Austin.

Morrow is known for wearing a jester's hat, and his top campaign issue is "to impeach, convict and remove Donald Trump and throw his sorry ass in prison." He faces two other Republicans in the District 5 primary. The district picks up communities along the Interstate 35 corridor between San Antonio and Austin and stretches out into the Hill Country. Incumbent Ken Mercer, a Republican who held the seat for 14 years, decided not to run for reelection.

In 2016, he unexpectedly won the race for chairperson of the Travis County Republican party, with more than 56% of the vote, likely because voters simply did not know anything about him. He was forced to give up the position when he filed to run for president as a write-in candidate that year.

Travis County GOP opposes 'vulgar,' 'misogynist' Robert Morrow for education board
Quote:

The Travis County Republican Party has taken the unusual step of opposing the candidacy of a Republican candidate for State Board of Education.

The party group voted unanimously Tuesday in favor of a resolution that opposes Robert Morrow's bid for a seat on the 15-member board, which sets public education policy statewide.

"Robert Morrow has a history of misogynist and vulgar language," according the resolution. "Robert Morrow has made outrageous and slanderous allegations about President Trump, members of the Bush family, and Governor Rick Perry, among others."

For everyone who knows a voter in SBOE District 5, it is your duty to inform them about Morrow and to have them vote for Lani Popp in the runoff.
DD88
AG
'Trump is a child rapist': Candidate linked to 'Lolita Express' billionaire by local GOP chair

This clown takes conspiracy theories to a whole new level.

Get the word out to defeat this fool.
DD88
AG
It makes you wonder how many TexAgs voters selected Morrow.
oldcrow91
AG
I tried to skip one and the voting machine didn't like it and I voted. Maybe if I worked on it a little longer I could have passed.
BQ78
AG
I thought Austin weirdness makes it cool. If so, he is the ultimate of cool!
AgShaun00
AG
i was surprised to see the amount of votes he received.

It took about 2 mins of research to see this guy is a whack job.
Redstone
AG
Robert is a libertarian activist with family money and a lot of time. He helped Roger Stone write his books (I very highly recommend the paperback version of the JFK one). Most of Stone's books are good information wise and VERY badly edited (get that one though).

Problem is Robert LOVES attention, of all kinds.

And:
It's also true that he's very knowledgeable about the Kennedys and LBJ, including a large collection of primary sources / interviews. He's been at that since the 80s, almost full time.

It's a shame in many ways to those of us who agree with him a decent part of the time.
DD88
AG
BQ78 said:

I thought Austin weirdness makes it cool. If so, he is the ultimate of cool!
Yes, but that does not make him a good SBOE member for most Republicans.
DD88
AG
Redstone said:

Robert is a libertarian activist with family money and a lot of time. He helped Roger Stone write his books (I very highly recommend the paperback version of the JFK one). Most of Stone's books are good information wise and VERY badly edited (get that one though).

And:
It's also true that he's very knowledgeable about the Kennedys and LBJ, including a large collection of primary sources / interviews. He's been at that since the 80s, almost full time.

It's a shame in many ways to those of us who agree with him a decent part of the time.
I'll grant that he's an equal opportunity accuser and it looks like his main goal seems to be to get attention for his accusations.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Poll tests
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
DD88
AG
oldcrow91 said:

I tried to skip one and the voting machine didn't like it and I voted. Maybe if I worked on it a little longer I could have passed.
That might be good feedback for the County Clerks to make sure it's communicated how to skip a race if it's not obvious.
Smokedraw01
This guy is a lunatic. Apparently running for SBOE inspires them to run.

Who remembers this lunatic?

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/education/controversial-board-of-education-candidate-faces-off-with-primary-opponent/287-207808437
Martin Cash
AG
Redstone said:

And:

This loon has NO redeeming qualities. He is a total buffoon and MUST be defeated.
Liquid Wrench
Robert Morrow is the same lunatic who somehow won the Travis County Republican party chairmanship before being chased out.

Not surprised at all if Redstone was into his conspiracies.
Redstone
AG
Robert is both an attention-you-know-what and a guy who on some subjects knows what he is talking about - including some serious heavy lifting of primary research into TX history and interviews of historical value. Plenty of interviews online where you can verify for yourself.

I do know him as an acquaintance and he can be a fun and generous guy. A lot of journalists and authors have accepted his free food. Several leftist journalists had / have him as a source, especially during the W years - including some all here would recognize.

He's not a bad dude. Just an odd one who can financially indulge himself and loves to be on tv / radio.
deddog
AG
DD88 said:

Here is your ballot for State Board of Education District 5
A. Inga Cotton
B. Lani Popp
C. Robert Morrow

D. Don't Vote because you know nothing about the candidates or you might elect someone like this:

And yet, he is now in a runoff on May 26th getting 54,387 votes (40.12%) with absolutely no experience for the position.

How does this happen? He picks a race against others with unusual names like Lani Popp (his runoff opponent) and Inga Cotton. He relies on the Uninformed Voter with no knowledge of the candidates to pick a name they somehow identify with. Anyone who actually knows about him and voted for him is an even bigger idiot.

Lewd tweets, the N-word and just plain weirdness: A wild-card candidate rattles education board races.
Quote:

With his history of sexist, racist rhetoric and incomprehensible, conspiracy-laden rants, Robert Morrow has become one of the most unifying political figures in Texas.

Almost no one Democrat or Republican, wealthy or poor, old or young wants to see him elected to the State Board of Education, the 15-member body that decides what millions of public school children learn. Yet according to political pollsters, Morrow's chances in this March's Republican primary can't be ruled out.

"The probability is probably pretty low that he comes out of this, but it's not zero," said Jim Henson, director of the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas at Austin.

Morrow is known for wearing a jester's hat, and his top campaign issue is "to impeach, convict and remove Donald Trump and throw his sorry ass in prison." He faces two other Republicans in the District 5 primary. The district picks up communities along the Interstate 35 corridor between San Antonio and Austin and stretches out into the Hill Country. Incumbent Ken Mercer, a Republican who held the seat for 14 years, decided not to run for reelection.

In 2016, he unexpectedly won the race for chairperson of the Travis County Republican party, with more than 56% of the vote, likely because voters simply did not know anything about him. He was forced to give up the position when he filed to run for president as a write-in candidate that year.

Travis County GOP opposes 'vulgar,' 'misogynist' Robert Morrow for education board
Quote:

The Travis County Republican Party has taken the unusual step of opposing the candidacy of a Republican candidate for State Board of Education.

The party group voted unanimously Tuesday in favor of a resolution that opposes Robert Morrow's bid for a seat on the 15-member board, which sets public education policy statewide.

"Robert Morrow has a history of misogynist and vulgar language," according the resolution. "Robert Morrow has made outrageous and slanderous allegations about President Trump, members of the Bush family, and Governor Rick Perry, among others."

For everyone who knows a voter in SBOE District 5, it is your duty to inform them about Morrow and to have them vote for Lani Popp in the runoff.
Voted for Lani.
LOL didn't realize that this was the other candidate
Turf96
He will match many of the loons already in our public school system. I know one of the 15 and they are good but some they work with aren't far off this crazy. Let's face it public school isn't what it used to be.
DD88
AG
Turf96 said:

He will match many of the loons already in our public school system. I know one of the 15 and they are good but some they work with aren't far off this crazy. Let's face it public school isn't what it used to be.
Hopefully, the word gets out and the voters in the runoff are more informed, so we don't have to worry about him being anywhere near the board.
B-1 83
AG
A Californian won the TX 27th district Democrat nod.....
https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/local-elections/why-de-la-fuente-was-able-to-win-the-district-27-primary
Gigem314
AG
DD88 said:

He certainly appeals to the "orange man bad" crowd.
DD88
AG
Gigem314 said:

DD88 said:

He certainly appeals to the "orange man bad" crowd.
Trump is just the flavor of the day. He accused the Obamas and Clintons of many things as well. Just click on the "sexist, racist rhetoric" link from the excerpt of the 1st article in the OP.
UTExan
Stopped reading at "libertarian activist".
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
DD88
AG
Now up to 54,772 idiots.

https://results.texas-election.com/races
IDaggie06
AG
I probably voted for this guy. There were like 5 races I knew who to vote for (Trump, Hunt, and a few others), the remaining I just picked a random name to get out of there.
DD88
AG
Well, now you can correct that in the runoff in May.

Please get the word out, so we don't end up losing a SBOE seat.
Jason C.
AG
Inga Cotton is good people.
DD88
AG
Jason C. said:

Inga Cotton is good people.
Well sadly, she didn't have much of the chance because of the number that vote on races where they have no idea.
rab79
AG
This happens when you don't have a none of the above option. I couldn't not vote on a race, the system is set up so that you have to vote on each race even if you would prefer to not vote for any of the candidates.
Demosthenes81
AG
rab79 said:

This happens when you don't have a none of the above option. I couldn't not vote on a race, the system is set up so that you have to vote on each race even if you would prefer to not vote for any of the candidates.
Strange, I had the option of just not voting in any given race. I don't cast a vote for people running unopposed and I don't cast a vote in a race where I know none of the candidates.
Sid Farkas
AG
aaand if this guy was a Californian there'd be a half dozen people here demanding to secede if California isn't kicked out of the US pronto....

hahaha F16 Texans. you own this guy
Harkrider 93
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

This guy is a lunatic. Apparently running for SBOE inspires them to run.

Who remembers this lunatic?

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/education/controversial-board-of-education-candidate-faces-off-with-primary-opponent/287-207808437
holy moly!
DD88
AG
Here's a WSJ article (if you can read it)

Leading Texas School Board Candidate Wants to Teach Pole Dancing, Conspiracy Theories

Quote:

GOP scrambles to stop Robert Morrow, who tweets topless photos, from securing nomination; 'We will crush him or I will light myself on fire'

He wears a jester hat, frequently tweets photos of women's breasts and advocates for teaching in schools that Lyndon Johnson assassinated John F. Kennedy.

DD88
AG
Early voting starts Monday, June 29th.

Get out and vote.
chevy con queso
AG
jxs40 said:

rab79 said:

Strange, I had the option of just not voting in any given race. I don't cast a vote for people running unopposed and I don't cast a vote in a race where I know none of the candidates.
Same. I've left plenty blank over the years when I didn't have enough information to make an informed decision, or if the candidates issues were a wash.
rwtxag83
AG
B-1 83 said:

A Californian won the TX 27th district Democrat nod.....
https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/local-elections/why-de-la-fuente-was-able-to-win-the-district-27-primary

This is TOTALLY BS!

IMHO, you shouldn't be able to register to run in any election in which you are not already a legal resident. The standards should be the same as voting. Legal resident at the time you register, PERIOD! This freaking law needs to be changed immediately!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.