***** OFFICIAL TRUMP IMPEACHMENT THREAD *****

877,657 Views | 9220 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Pizza
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Maplethorpe said:

Wildcat said:

Trump is in India where they're kissing his ass with staged rallies because they know it's an effective way to get on his good side and they want him to stop the tariff war

WGAF?
Cry much?
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
policywonk98
AG
Man John. Took you 6 weeks to post this article. What gives?

We expect more from you around here.

I have no doubt the Vox and WashPo's Pulitzer "Original Yellow Journalist" Prize winners are super solid on their reporting of this.

But let's say he did bristle at the 1977 law. I dont suppose it's less of a stretch that Trump might bristle at anything that might conceivably make American companies less competitive against their international counterparts?

This isnt a question I ask because I disagree with the law and want it overturned. But it seems to me that it's at least as much of a stretch that he wants to enrich himself by overturning a prohibition as it is that he wants to just simply enrich any and all american businesses by overturning the prohibition.
Bird93
AG
Bo Darville said:

John Maplethorpe said:

You guys.... this sounds weird but hear me out. What if...... what if Trump doesn't really care about corruption?

Quote:

Shortly after taking office, President Donald Trump grumbled to his secretary of state about a decades-old US law that bars American companies from bribing foreign officials and pledged to repeal it which, incidentally, would make it easier for his company to get lucrative contracts abroad.

Trump and then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson tussled over the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977. That law, according to the Justice Department, makes it "unlawful for certain classes of persons and entities to make payments to foreign government officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business."

"It's just so unfair that American companies aren't allowed to pay bribes to get business overseas," Trump reportedly told Tillerson. "We're going to change that."

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/15/21067426/very-stable-genius-washington-post-bribery-law-trump

The "libertarian" is now quoting Vox articles.
Libertarian? He's a card carrying Republican, who's donated 6 figures to R candidates...he told us so. It must be true!
BuddysBud
AG
The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977 probably deserves a thread of its own. Although it's intent might have been valid, it seems silly that many U.S. companies are being punished by the U.S. government for actions in countries where graft is part of their culture. I laugh every time I read about a large U.S. company being fined because a subcontractor paid a Nigerian official so that items could be released from customs after all the necessary paperwork and duties had already been paid.

I am sure that many Aggies can give first hand stories about experiences involving FCPA.
BuddysBud
AG
John Maplethorpe said:

Wildcat said:

Trump is in India where they're kissing his ass with staged rallies because they know it's an effective way to get on his good side and they want him to stop the tariff war

WGAF?

I thought that Trump was hated abroad and foreign leaders had no respect for him.
Having 100,000+ in a foreign country destroys that narrative.
Zemira
AG
BuddysBud said:

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977 probably deserves a thread of its own. Although it's intent might have been valid, it seems silly that many U.S. companies are being punished by the U.S. government for actions in countries where graft is part of their culture. I laugh every time I read about a large U.S. company being fined because a subcontractor paid a Nigerian official so that items could be released from customs after all the necessary paperwork and duties had already been paid.

I am sure that many Aggies can give first hand stories about experiences involving FCPA.
So worked for a company that was a multinational that did business in several African countries.

Company policy was to not pay bribes unless it was an emergency involving the health and safety employees or contactors of the company. They weren't called bribes but corporate gave them some less scary sounding name, "facilitating payments."

The offices in Africa had a safe with an unknown amount of cash in order to pay these "facilitating payments."

I can only remember one time in almost 10 years that a facilitating payment was made. And I think the determined it wasn't really, but at the time it was sort of a gray area. Manager of some sort had a heart problem and needed to be medivac-ed to Europe (closest hospital flight time wise) and someone in the government was demanding some sort of payment to let the flight take off. We learned about it after the fact in the US. The employees on the ground did everything they were supposed to do, and apparently they figured out it was done sort of "emergency" airport fee.

The only reason I was involved is making sure it got accounted for properly. We had an account called facilitating payments. It ended up going there, but with enough documentation to assuage the fears if the legal team that we were transparent and the government wasn't coming after us for that.

Some companies, or in my mind most try to be as transparent as possible, because they have to report a multi-million dollar fine to shareholders because they screwed up internationally.

If you get caught for FCPA violations, tough ***** You should have known better. As much training and information that is available unless you are willfully ignoring something going on you should be aware of anything going on that might be a violation. It really isn't that difficult to be in compliance.
Wildcat
AG
John Maplethorpe said:

Wildcat said:

WGAF?

So now you have taken to the Adam Schiff tactic of intentionally misquoting me in an effort to make an invalid point.

You know who cares? The Indian government, the Chinese government, and manufacturers with supply chains in both. And you should too.

And while the Indian government may have its insincere motives, it didn't strong-arm 100K people into attending a rally in the country's largest Cricket stadium and cajole them into cheering. I must confess I don't really understand Trump's appeal in India, but there it is.

So sit there in your wrongness and pout some more.

Rapier108
Quote:

So now you have taken to Adam Schiff tactic of intentionally misquoting me in an effort to make an invalid point.
He quotes others and edits their post all of the time to say something completely different.

Nothing happens of course even though it could be considered a violation of several rules.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
John Maplethorpe said:

Wildcat said:

WGAF?

The original quote:

"Trump is taking a victory lap on the world stage in a stadium filled with 100K cheering Indians while this clown is regurgitating months old failed talking points."

EVERYONE flag the original and report this buffoon. STAFF this clown needs a lifetime ban.

ProgN
That's some shady **** right there.
captkirk
AG
Prognightmare said:

Time to compensate the coup members
Seven figures. WTF?
ProgN
She got paid off. What better way than to pay her 7 figures for a book that no one will buy or read.
Wildcat
AG
Publishers still have to make money. I can't imagine them taking a 7-figure haircut for politics. So who is really footing the bill for this deal?
GCP12
AG
Wildcat said:

Publishers still have to make money. I can't imagine them taking a 7-figure haircut for politics. So who is really footing the bill for this deal?
That's a rounding error for Bloomberg
ProgN
Exactly, Soros, mini mike, etc are picking up that tab.
GCP12
AG
It's incredible. Half of the regulars of this board probably wouldn't even remember her. There is ZERO chance that her book is worth a million dollar advance. Even Maplethorpe/Chance/Met aren't buying that ****
TexasAggie_02
AG
Wildcat said:

DNC will buy a bunch of copies and mail them out as free gifts to donors.
Zemira
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Wildcat said:

Soros will buy the copies and put them in a warehouse to be forgotten.
We fixed the keg
AG
....and still couldn't win the argument.
Jimmy Valentine
How much did Donald Trump Jr. get for his Triggered book deal?

Wasn't there recently a controversy about a VP's son getting paid lots of money just because he was the son of the VP?
YNWA_AG
AG
So you really are that triggered?? No wonder.
APHIS AG
e=mc2 said:

This thread is 262 pages of Johnathan Gary Maplethorp Johnson getting his tiny skull crushed over and over again. It must be like Groundhog Day for this imbecile.

The problem is that he just keeps on coming back. It like continuing to fight a war where his side has been defeated badly and surrendered unconditionally.
Rapier108
APHIS AG said:

e=mc2 said:

This thread is 262 pages of Johnathan Gary Maplethorp Johnson getting his tiny skull crushed over and over again. It must be like Groundhog Day for this imbecile.

The problem is that he just keeps on coming back. It like continuing to fight a war where his side has been defeated badly and surrendered unconditionally.
Like the Japanese holdouts who kept fighting after WWII.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
e=mc2
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

John Maplethorpe said:

Wildcat said:

WGAF?

The original quote:

"Trump is taking a victory lap on the world stage in a stadium filled with 100K cheering Indians while this clown is regurgitating months old failed talking points."

EVERYONE flag the original and report this buffoon. STAFF this clown needs a lifetime ban.

He's a liberal ... so ... a dishonest person.
backintexas2013
AG
Maplethorp gets banned JV comes back. Nice.
hbtheduce
AG
Trump doesn't need to be an ardent corruption fighter for his conversations with Ukraine to be proper. But you can't deny that he ran on that platform, therefore its in the public interest (he was elected) when he does look into corruption.
agsalaska
AG
We made on 'facility payment' in the 15 years I was in corporate. And it was to Mayer Ray Nagin's office 6-8 weeks after Hurricane Katrina. Never made one that I saw in Mexico or Central America. It's probably why we failed down there.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Rapier108
backintexas2013 said:

Maplethorp gets banned JV comes back. Nice.
That makes 4 accounts.

I wonder how many more he has.
Ulysses90
AG
Jimmy Valentine said:

Wasn't there recently a controversy about a VP's son getting paid lots of money just because he was the son of the VP?

I believe that he go zero advance on the book. Do you have contrary information that says he did? The leftstream news media made a big deal of the fact that the RNC bought 4000 copies of his book as gifts for donors but aside from that bulk purchase Don Jr.'s book sold another 71000 copies (i.e over $1.62 million in sales) in the first week.

ProgN
Rapier108 said:

APHIS AG said:

e=mc2 said:

Like the Japanese holdouts who kept fighting after WWII.
Nah, the Japanese believed in honor. He's more like a whack-a-mole. Mods bash his head and he pops up again in a different color.
Ag with kids
AG
Zemira said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Wildcat said:

Soros will buy the copies and put them in a warehouse to be forgotten.

Her book...
John Maplethorpe
AG
McCusker out.

Narrator voice:
They did break the law to aid in breaking other laws.
End Of Message
AG
John Maplethorpe said:

McCusker out.

Narrator voice:
They did break the law to aid in breaking other laws.

Narrator voice:
Maplethorpe then realized that his girl lost, and he was sorry because of it.
End Of Message
AG
Jimmy Valentine said:

I bought copies for myself, friends, and family. I enjoy supporting patriotism.
Rapier108
First Page
Page 263 of 264

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.