*****Official Funny Political Tweet Thread*****

8,625,003 Views | 71719 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by nortex97
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tom Hagen
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Is that how they teach multiplication these days?
Tanya 93
Tom Hagen said:

Tanya 93 said:

Yep

And it is stupid.

They have to draw those boxes on the test and Benny is losing points for doing it in his head. We just explained to him that he has to follow his teacher's directions even though we know he doesn't need to do it
agent-maroon
AG
Tanya is correct. This is what my kids learned at a private school. First time they asked for help it took literally 15 minutes to realize that they were just trying to multiply.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hey...so.. um
agent-maroon said:

Tanya is correct. This is what my kids learned at a private school. First time they asked for help it took literally 15 minutes to realize that they were just trying to multiply.
It is the same thing conceptually, but kids that understand how do multiply without the boxes are just doing those steps in their head essentially.

It is dumb, but at least it is conceptually accurate. It is crazy for teachers to deduct points for not using this method though. If there are multiple methods to solve a problem, all should be acceptable. That is basic math.
TRM
AG
I wouldn't call it stupid, but different. It depends on the age group when it's taught. I would say it's beneficial for 6th/7th graders right before they get to Algebra because the way they learn how to multiply

(3x^2+x+2)(2x+3)

is similar to that area model process they are showing.
CatD11Ag
AG
Not political but pretty funny to watch.

Gardening Ag
No Common Core discussion is complete without this video

bonfarr
AG
I had a big debate with my son's teacher a few years ago over this when I kept telling her I don't get it. I told her we sent men to the moon using the old math and she just kind of stared at me blankly.
TRM
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

agent-maroon said:

It is the same thing conceptually, but kids that understand how do multiply without the boxes are just doing those steps in their head essentially.

It is dumb, but at least it is conceptually accurate. It is crazy for teachers to deduct points for not using this method though. If there are multiple methods to solve a problem, all should be acceptable. That is basic math.
Depends on what is being asked. If they just say solve then any method should suffice, but if they ask to solve using Gaussian elimination then they better show Gaussian elimination.

Anyway back to the funny tweets.
Hey...so.. um
texaggierm said:

I wouldn't call it stupid, but different. It depends on the age group when it's taught. I would say it's beneficial for 6th/7th graders right before they get to Algebra because the way they learn how to multiply

(3x^2+x+2)(2x+3)

is similar to that area model process they are showing.
Right, it is just a new method. Different methods work for different people. You shouldn't have to learn all the methods if you find one that works for you and a teacher shouldn't only teach one method. Teach them all and let the kids decide what they like best.
Tanya 93
texaggierm said:

Hey...so.. um said:

agent-maroon said:

Depends on what is being asked. If they just say solve then any method should suffice, but if they ask to solve using Gaussian elimination then they better show Gaussian elimination.

Anyway back to the funny tweets.
The first time he was asked to explain how he got the answer, my smart ass brat said his brain.
george1992
bonfarr said:

I had a big debate with my son's teacher a few years ago over this when I kept telling her I don't get it. I told her we sent men to the moon using the old math and she just kind of stared at me blankly.

Why would they change math? Math is math.
aggiehawg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Tom Hagen said:

Tanya 93 said:

Yep

And it is stupid.

They have to draw those boxes on the test and Benny is losing points for doing it in his head. We just explained to him that he has to follow his teacher's directions even though we know he doesn't need to do it
When I was in 8th grade, had a math teacher who was one those number geniuses. She started every class with a string of numbers and "times" or "divided by" or "squared" and the like. Only she didn't write it on the blackboard, just gave the equations orally. Usually about 5-6 numbers long, and we weren't allowed to write the numbers down, all in our heads.

Oddly, that was her method for multiplication. So blame Mrs. Shea. She started it in 1973.
Ulrich
The common core method is closer to how I do math in my head than the "old" method. If I do 312 x 23 in my head, it goes like
312 * 2 is 624, a 0 at the end is 6240, 312 * 3 is 936, 936 plus 6240 is 62+9 = 71, 36+40 is 76, 7176

It's really fast, especially if you mostly care about approximating because you're working your way from big to small so your mistakes come at the smaller end and you're more likely to catch big errors. Plus you can start saying the answer before you're done calculating so you steal another fraction of a second.

But if you're doing it on paper, writing all that stuff out just takes a lot longer.

Now that I think about it, that's how I would do 312 x 23, but if it was 298 x 24, I would instead to:
300 * 25 is 7500, subtract two 25s is 7450, subtract one 300 is 7150, add a two is 7152

or 162 x 15
16 squared is 256 plus a 0 is 2560 less a 160 is 2400 plus a two 15s is 2430

So I think how I get an answer in my head probably works a bunch of different ways depending on the specific question. The more general way is to round the question to one that is really easy and then adjust back to the right answer, or if my mind doesn't offer a simple way, break it into 2-3 simple problems and work forwards like my first example.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Why would they change math? Math is math.
Somebody needed a thesis for their EdD and then somehow worked their way into a position of influence. Nothing maintains your guru status and high salary better than having a complicated explanation that no one dares risk their own position by saying this method is too complicated.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
captkirk
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The common core method is closer to how I do math in my head than the "old" method. If I do 312 x 23 in my head, it goes like

312 * 2 is 624, a 0 at the end is 6240, 312 * 3 is 936, 936 plus 6240 is 62+9 = 71, 36+40 is 76, 7176
Hi! Mrs. Shea's grandson!
Tanya 93
PhatMack19
AG
ProgN
Common core math debate on funny tweet thread.

Ulrich
Tanya 93
Prognightmare said:

Common core math debate on funny tweet thread.

Sorry
aggiehawg
AG
Not your fault. There are a lot of parents and grandparents that are looking at this crap in the online classes who are engineers and other math heavy occupations who are saying, "WTF?"

I'm so old, I was taught how to use a slide rule and not by my Dad. When I was about 10, I saw a tie clip that was a slide rule (actually working) with two red plastic things that were supposed to be rubies on either end. I think it was like $3.00. Gave it to my Dad for his birthday that year. He wore that tie clip nearly everyday and Mom buried him with it.

Told me it was one of his most prized possessions and even though his death was sudden (fatal heart attack) she knew he would have wanted it with him.

Sorry, getting dusty in here.
aggiedata
AG
ProgN
aggiedata
AG
fasthorse05
I am wondering how casting for "My 600 Pound Life" works.

Do they call you, or should you just show up at their door? I'll be a candidate by mid-May!
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
CanyonAg77
AG
Well, Calvin never liked Susie, so.....maybe?
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Tanya 93 said:

My son still learned it the old way but doesn't go to public school
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Dang allergies
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
End Of Message
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B-p6lAmlMal
techno-ag
AG
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
techno-ag
AG

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
techno-ag
AG

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
First Page Last Page
Page 358 of 2050

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.