More of this please. There are aspects of this that some will disagree with but I think there is much more that is agreeable.
FTACo88-FDT24dad said:
More of this please. There are aspects of this that some will disagree with but I think there is much more that is agreeable.
PabloSerna said:
Listened to the whole sermon. Good points as you mentioned, but he does change a word from scripture to drive home his earlier point about the church being "her" when he substituted that word for "it" when he cited Christ's words to Peter about the gates of hell not prevailing against "it".
My take on it is that he wishes more Bishops would speak up against what he "hates" about the church. Some have, but not in the way he had hoped.
PabloSerna said:
I'm sure you will agree that these are metaphors and not gender specific terms, lest we include the parts of scripture that refers to God as a mother?
This Pastor knows his audience, this carries, in the sense that some men on the so called religious right, appeal to the "protector/spiritual warrior" ethos. So it would make sense, if he were to have written that part of scripture to use the word "she" instead of "it". I'm too analytical for that sort of thing, so I saw past that messaging.
The great thing about God, is that there are so many ways in which he reaches out to us his creation. Aquinas was who really drew me into a deeper spirituality. My wife jokes that when she needs help falling asleep, she will ask me about the Summa. The mistake is to think that there is only one way on how God does this. That would be like putting God in a box and saying you have it all figured out- right.
ETA: to your first question, agree with him on what he loves. What he hates is debatable. He says our Shepherds (Bishops) are quiet- not really.
PabloSerna said:
What's amazing to me about that statement is that I can see both sides of that; the Bishops that want to widen the tent for all and those that want to deny children from coming to Jesus.