Need book recommendation

838 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Jabin
Jabin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I also posted this on the History board: I'd appreciate any recommendations that y'all might have on the history of the Enlightenment.
Randy05
AG
The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self by Carl Trueman
AustinAggieArchitect
AG
I read both of these books very recently and enjoyed both of them:

Jesus, Interrupted by Bart Ehrman
Zealot by Reza Aslan

They are rooted in the historical criticism of the New Testament that first arose during the Enlightenment. But be aware that they could be very challenging to a fundamentalist worldview.
Jabin
Are any of those actual histories of the Enlightenment?
Sapper Redux
Just FYI, a lot of France in this list. The Enlightenment was a French project that had some successful side projects in Britain and Prussia.

"Radical Enlightenment" is a long but good intellectual history of the era from the perspective of Spinoza and his influence. Israel's "Revolution of the Mind is another good work on the philosophy of the era from a slightly different perspective.

Robert Darton's "The Great Cat Massacre" is a classic of cultural history and offers a perspective of the era from a lower class French perspective.

"Mozart and the Enlightenment" is another good cultural history from a high culture perspective.

Goodman, "The Republic of Letters," is a classic history of the Enlightenment.

David Bell, "The Cult of the Nation in France," is an interesting view of how the French Revolution reflected and drove major changes in the relationship between citizens and the state.

Dubois, "Avengers of the New World" is a history of the Haitian Revolution that looks at how race, revolution, and ideology clashed.
Jabin
Thanks, Sapper. I'd already discovered a couple of those but will look at the rest closely.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.