Miaphysitism: the most maddening heresy that didn't have to be

766 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Zobel
Quo Vadis?
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been blessed in my life to be friends with a lot of great Ethiopian Oriental Orthodox Christians. I use the service "Blacklane" a lot while traveling internationally and they seem to have a huge number of Ethiopian drivers and I've made friends with several of them.

One of the biggest headbangers I get into is how miaphysitism is functionally different from the hypostatic union.

If I'm explaining it correctly, miaphysitism expresses that Christ is one person that has one nature that is Divine Man-God. The hypostatic union expresses that Christ is one person with two natures that is fully man and fully God. I don't see how there's a functional difference. They're just cramming Fully God and Fully Man into Fully Man-God.

Can anyone else make sense of this?
jrico2727
AG
Is Man -God co equal with the Father? Doesn't sound like true God from true God. Consubstantial with the Father. Just not fully God. It's like a step towards arianism. Just my .02
Quo Vadis?
jrico2727 said:

Is Man -God co equal with the Father? Doesn't sound like true God from true God. Consubstantial with the Father. Just not fully God. It's like a step towards arianism. Just my .02

Yes, Man-God co-eternal and of one substance with the Father .
Zobel
AG
The only question is whether Christ is actually human in the one nature case. If He has one nature, that of God-Man, can it be said that He has a true human nature? The foundation of the theology of salvation through theosis is that He became what we are, truly Man, and truly one of our brothers. And in doing this He divinized human nature.

I personally think this is a separation of linguistic tradition more than anything else. But, here we are.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.