The monk who raped and murdered a Saint

3,612 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CrackerJackAg
Serviam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today is the Feast Day of Saint Maria Goretti, one of the youngest Saints in the Catholic Church.

St.Maria was 11 years old when she was raped and murdered by 20 year old Allessandro Serenelli. While he was attacking her, St Maria urged him to stop, as what he was doing would be a moral sin, and would send him to hell. She was stabbed 11 times after saying she would rather die than submit her body to him, and then another 3 times as she tried to escape. She was taken to a hospital where she succumbed to her wounds, but not before saying she forgave Alessandro.

Alessandro was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment for his crime. While imprisoned he received a vision of St Maria stating she forgave him and urging a life of repentance. Alessandro repented, and after being released from prison visited St Maria's mother and asked for forgiveness, which she granted. Alessandro would join a Franciscan monastery and lived out his life as a lay brother. In 1950 he was present for the canonization of St.Maria along with the rest of her family.

He died in 1970 and in his will was a letter stating the following:

Quote:

I am nearly 80 years old. I am about to die.

Looking back at my past, I can see that in my early youth, I chose a bad path which led me to ruin myself.

My behavior was influenced by print, mass media and bad examples which are followed by the majority of young people without even thinking. And I did the same. I was not worried.

There were a lot of generous and devoted people who surrounded me, but I paid no attention to them because a violent force blinded me and pushed me toward a wrong way of life.

When I was 20 years old, I committed a crime of passion. Now, that memory represents something horrible for me. Maria Goretti, now a Saint, was my good Angel, sent to me by Providence to guide and save me. I still have impressed upon my heart her words of rebuke and of pardon. She prayed for me, she interceded for her murderer. Thirty years of prison followed.

If I had been of age, I would have spent all my life in prison. I accepted to be condemned because it was my own fault.

Little Maria was really my light, my protectress; with her help, I behaved well during the 27 years of prison and tried to live honestly when I was again accepted among the members of society. The Brothers of St. Francis, Capuchins from the Marche, welcomed me with angelic charity into their monastery as a brother, not as a servant. I have been living with their community for 24 years, and now I am serenely waiting to witness the vision of God, to hug my loved ones again, and to be next to my Guardian Angel and her dear mother, Assunta.

I hope this letter that I have written can teach others the happy lesson of avoiding evil and of always following the right path, like little children. I feel that religion with its precepts is not something we can live without, but rather it is the real comfort, the real strength in life and the only safe way in every circumstance, even the most painful ones of life.

Alessandro Serenelli, May 5, 1961

747Ag
AG
St. Maria Goretti is my wife's confirmation saint.

Went to First Saturday Mass this morning and they had one of her relics displayed prominently (we have an incredible treasury of relics donated to our parish).

Beautiful story. Even the most grievous of sins can be forgiven. Even the most grievous sinner can repent.
Serviam
747Ag said:

St. Maria Goretti is my wife's confirmation saint.

Went to First Saturday Mass this morning and they had one of her relics displayed prominently (we have an incredible treasury of relics donated to our parish).

Beautiful story. Even the most grievous of sins can be forgiven. Even the most grievous sinner can repent.

That is a very powerful relic, I have read she is one of the favored saints called upon for intercession during exorcisms due to her purity and chastity.

The story of her murderer also resonates with me greatly. "Vengeance is mine" says God, but my gut reaction to a crime of that severity is "shoot him in the head and leave him in a ditch". Further proof that if someone is still breathing, there is always a chance for redemption.
PabloSerna
AG
I just read about him and a dream he had during an earthquake that left much of the town in ruins except for the prison. In it he tells of seeing a beautiful young girl who he then recognizes as "Marietta" bringing him some flowers. When he takes the flowers, 14 in all representing the 14 stab wounds, they burst into small flames. She tells him that she is saving a place for him in heaven. It was after this event that he fully converts and chooses a monastic life.

The priest mentioned that his grandmother came from the area around the same time as the attack. Many of the people were economically oppressed and shared what little they had with each other. The Gotetti's took in poor Alessandro only to have him attack, rape, and kill their daughter (11 years old). The mother publicly forgave him and I understand that after he was released from prison that he went back to visit.

Amazing witness of the power of forgiveness.

ETA: The title of the thread is a little misleading. He was not a monk at the time.
NoahAg
Pretty convenient that he "received a vision." The monster should have stayed imprisoned for life.
747Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

Pretty convenient that he "received a vision." The monster should have stayed imprisoned for life.
lolol... ok
NoahAg
If you rape and murder a little girl you should spend your life in prison, at minimum. Not sure how that's a funny take.
747Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

If you rape and murder a little girl you should spend your life in prison, at minimum. Not sure how that's a funny take.
Go on...
NoahAg
If having never raped anyone makes me morally superior, then guilty as charged.
747Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

It's interesting that "crime and punishment" is what you latched on to, yet it's not the point of the story (forgiveness, conversion). If you want to come in to this forum with mocking polemics against Christianity, don't be surprised when the response is "lolol... ok"
NoahAg
747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

It's interesting that "crime and punishment" is what you latched on to, yet it's not the point of the story (forgiveness, conversion). If you want to come in to this forum with mocking polemics against Christianity, don't be surprised when the response is "lolol... ok"

1. I am a Christian.
2. You're the one who edited your comment about moral superiority.
3. That's great if she offered forgiveness.

Based on the atrocity he committed you can't blame me for doubting his vision claim.
747Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

1. I am a Christian.
2. You're the one who edited your comment about moral superiority.
3. That's great if she offered forgiveness.

Based on the atrocity he committed you can't blame me for doubting his vision claim.
1. Didn't know that. Mea culpa. I read your initial comments as reflective of today's Godless push.
2. I did. I thought better of it and removed it. Again, mea culpa.
jrico2727
AG
I understand the rush for skepticism. I think we have become so overwhelmed by the worst examples of humanity on a daily basis and have become numbed by it. A lot of the time we see people who do evil and get away with it or exploit others. In this example the man served his sentence, was it too short, possibly but it was what was assigned to him by the authorities. He didn't use his vision as cause to be released. He never tried to profit or gain anything, by it. Instead he became a monk living a life of prayer and penance, one void of most if not all luxury. Ultimately it is up to God to judge. I just hope I can if anything learn proper contrition for my personal sins.
NoahAg
jrico2727 said:

I understand the rush for skepticism. I think we have become so overwhelmed by the worst examples of humanity on a daily basis and have become numbed by it. A lot of the time we see people who do evil and get away with it or exploit others. In this example the man served his sentence, was it too short, possibly but it was what was assigned to him by the authorities. He didn't use his vision as cause to be released. He never tried to profit or gain anything, by it. Instead he became a monk living a life of prayer and penance, one void of most if not all luxury. Ultimately it is up to God to judge. I just hope I can if anything learn proper contrition for my personal sins.

Fair enough and thanks for the background. Now I'll ask you both for forgiveness for my snide comments on this.
747Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

jrico2727 said:

Fair enough and thanks for the background. Now I'll ask you both for forgiveness for my snide comments on this.
You got it.
LCE
AG
He is in Hell.
747Ag
AG
Doubtful
LCE
AG
Zero doubtful. You're okay w rape and murder?
Bob Lee
AG
Some friends of ours gave us a relic of St. Maria Goretti. It's a small piece of her bone, and came with paperwork. As best I can tell from canon law and direction from the Dicastery for the Causes of Saints, it's considered a non-significant first class relic and I'm permitted to have it in my house. We keep it on our mantle for veneration.
747Ag
AG
LCE said:

Why are you guys like this? Does repentance and forgiveness mean anything to you?
J-Licious
AG
LCE said:

You realize St. Paul was responsible for the murder of Christians. Do you think he is also not forgiven and resides in Hell?

We are all sinners, why do you think any of us could make it to heaven without forgiveness which God does not withhold if truly sought.
Zobel
AG
When we're on the subject of rape and murder let's not forget David…
CrackerJackAg
AG
747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

I am Orthodox and fully onboard with forgiveness and repentance.

I don't have a skin in the game but I am highly skeptical of the guy.

Repents because he is in prison. What else you gonna do?

Choose to live as Monk because he saw a path that was acceptable to him outside the prison that did not include living in poverty as a reviled second tier citizen but as an equal in the monastery.

I don't know the guy. I would never choose to stay in his presence. Damn sure not going to accept his story as something to celebrate it because someone said it was super duper cool.

Only thing I am certain of is that he raped and killed an 11 year old girl.
747Ag
AG
CrackerJackAg said:

747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

Choose to live as Monk because he saw a path that was acceptable to him outside the prison that did not include living in poverty as a reviled second tier citizen but as an equal in the monastery.

I don't know the guy. I would never choose to stay in his presence. Damn sure not going to accept his story as something to celebrate it because someone said it was super duper cool.

No one is saying we should want to be in his presence or trust him, but there is a certain joy in conversion/reversion to the Faith. My frustration comes about from those coming in, especially Christians, saying this man is in hell. He repented and kept doing penance for the remainder of his life. Yes, that can happen when we hit rock bottom (like serving a prison sentence), but many still choose to wallow in their own misery and waste away. It's still a choice, and he chose rightly even if it were for imperfect reasons. I see this guy as a similar to the prodigal son.
jrico2727
AG
747Ag said:

CrackerJackAg said:

747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

No one is saying we should want to be in his presence or trust him, but there is a certain joy in conversion/reversion to the Faith. My frustration comes about from those coming in, especially Christians, saying this man is in hell. He repented and kept doing penance for the remainder of his life. Yes, that can happen when we hit rock bottom (like serving a prison sentence), but many still choose to wallow in their own misery and waste away. It's still a choice, and he chose rightly even if it were for imperfect reasons. I see this guy as a similar to the prodigal son.
I wonder when heaven rejoices at the conversion of a sinner if they temper themselves based upon what type of sinner we're talking about?
CrackerJackAg
AG
jrico2727 said:

747Ag said:

CrackerJackAg said:

747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

I wonder when heaven rejoices at the conversion of a sinner if they temper themselves based upon what type of sinner we're talking about?

I'm not perfect.. I just can't see it.

We are taking the same God that killed 42 children by having a bear maul them to death for calling Elisha "Bald".

birddog7000
AG
CrackerJackAg said:

jrico2727 said:

747Ag said:

CrackerJackAg said:

747Ag said:

NoahAg said:

Congratulations?

I'm not perfect.. I just can't see it.

We are taking the same God that killed 42 children by having a bear maul them to death for calling Elisha "Bald".

The same God who sent His Son to teach us His Father's will and to atone for our sins to defeat our impending death. The Son, who while hanging on a cross, asked God - "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing".

I think forgiving this man, if he was repentant, is exactly what he has told us He would do. It is a testament of the immense grace and mercy of our Father.

We can be wary of the worldly, but we shouldn't let the way of the world tarnish or diminish our relationship with God. We should view miraculous things with reverent hesitation until we can confirm it is of God, but we should not view them with skepticism. When God has granted a beautiful outpouring we should be in praise of His glory!
CrackerJackAg
AG
Yeah… I'm gonna pass on that one

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.