Dr Tony Evans steps down?!

3,356 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by powerbelly
Aggie Dad 26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've listened to his sermons many times over the radio. He's my all-time favorite preacher and I have even listened to him through Youtube. I just went to Youtube to pull up a sermon to listen to while I look at stocks and there's a video from a local news outlet in DFW reporting that he's stepped down, due to sin. He says he hasn't broken any laws, but sin has led him to stepping away from his duties.

I'm disappointed, not that he sinned, but that he's no longer in the pulpit. Every man has sinned, so I don't fault him. More than anything, I'm just shocked. I'm also sad for him, his family, and the Oak Cliff community.

Please pray for him
AtticusMatlock
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pastor-sin-resign-tony-evans-son-sermon-b2566031.html

Apparently his family is also in the dark.
AtticusMatlock
Reading between the lines, a "sin" that happened "long ago" = affair or sexual misconduct of some type. The way these usually get revealed is lawyer for woman contacts church seeking money.
powerbelly
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

Reading between the lines, a "sin" that happened "long ago" = affair or sexual misconduct of some type. The way these usually get revealed is lawyer for woman contacts church seeking money.
I would agree, but he stated it wasn't sexual in nature and wasn't illegal.

IMO he should be more transparent at this point because it only invites speculation with how cagey he is being.
10andBOUNCE
AG
If Tony Evans has been a formative teacher for anyone, I might suggest you dig in to some of his doctrinal beliefs and things he has been teaching. I have been at churches in my past that endorsed and used some of his books and study materials, but I am now against that at this point. Some of the areas in question...

Transdispensationalism and inclusivism (his book Totally Saved)
Bent towards Pelagianism - our inherited (or lack thereof) sin nature
Kingdom Race Theory
Extra-Biblical revelation (as evidenced in his contributions in Priscilla's book Discerning the Voice of God)
Close ties with other questionable "pastors"
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

If Tony Evans has been a formative teacher for anyone, I might suggest you dig in to some of his doctrinal beliefs and things he has been teaching. I have been at churches in my past that endorsed and used some of his books and study materials, but I am now against that at this point. Some of the areas in question...

Transdispensationalism and inclusivism (his book Totally Saved)
Bent towards Pelagianism - our inherited (or lack thereof) sin nature
Kingdom Race Theory
Extra-Biblical revelation (as evidenced in his contributions in Priscilla's book Discerning the Voice of God)
Close ties with other questionable "pastors"
So just curious as far as your first point about Tony Evans.

You believe that people who do not hear the Gospel go to eternal conscious torment hell? So they have zero chance?

And refresh my memory, are you Reformed?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Yes, reformed.
You really spin that tough question like a lawyer in trial. I'm not going to give a satisfactory answer, that I am sure, but I have faith in the wonderful general revelation of Jesus Christ as well as God's ultimate sovereignty over all. God can do whatever he pleases and it all is just, merciful and righteous. If we say anything otherwise, we are not in alignment with him.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Yes, reformed.
You really spin that tough question like a lawyer in trial. I'm not going to give a satisfactory answer, that I am sure, but I have faith in the wonderful general revelation of Jesus Christ as well as God's ultimate sovereignty over all. God can do whatever he pleases and it all is just, merciful and righteous. If we say anything otherwise, we are not in alignment with him.
Not trying to be a lawyer. Just trying to find out what your beliefs are about people who have not heard the Gospel and their eternal destination. I agree it is all up to the mercy of God. And that God is sovereign.

But I think everyone gets a chance and will ultimately worship Christ, "Every knee shall bow". After a period of corrective punishment.

But from your first point about Tony Evans, it appears you do not agree with me.

I am just trying to figure out what you believe about people who die without hearing the Gospel.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I believe in what John 14:6 says…
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Happy to start another thread on transdispensationalism but am trying to stay on topic.

My post was simply to shed light on things you should consider if Tony is one of your teachers. Like alot of these popular teachers, he's a charismatic guy that is easy to like. But for me, he teaches some things incorrectly.
Agent_Ag
AG
I think he does excellent sermons as well. I actually have his study bible and have also been on many long runs listening to his sermon. I agree everyone has sinned, but the way he has been cryptic about it allows for a lot of speculation. Reading between the lines definitely seems like it was some type of affair which was going to be revealed, so he was just trying to beat them to the punch.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I believe in what John 14:6 says…
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Happy to start another thread on transdispensationalism but am trying to stay on topic.

My post was simply to shed light on things you should consider if Tony is one of your teachers. Like alot of these popular teachers, he's a charismatic guy that is easy to like. But for me, he teaches some things incorrectly.
I believe John 14:6 also.

But I am an incluvinist and I believe you are an exclusivinist.

I believe salvation is only through Jesus Christ but that He can extend that salvation to all men.

It is okay if we disagree on this in my opinion. We are brothers in Christ and sons of the most high God.

And Tony Evans is not one of my spiritual mentors.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Happy to hear and I agree on being brothers.

At the end of the day, there are many things we will never understand, and I am okay having to live somewhat in that tension and having ultimate faith that God is just.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Happy to hear and I agree on being brothers.

At the end of the day, there are many things we will never understand, and I am okay having to live somewhat in that tension and having ultimate faith that God is just.
Been pondering your excellent response and agree there are many things we will not understand until we are in the presence of the Lord.

The older I get, the simpler my faith gets and the less I try to "figure things out".

I try to focus simply on Jesus and the goodness of God.

More peace and joy than I have ever had.

10andBOUNCE
AG
Amen!
Aggie Dad 26
Agent_Ag said:

I think he does excellent sermons as well. I actually have his study bible and have also been on many long runs listening to his sermon. I agree everyone has sinned, but the way he has been cryptic about it allows for a lot of speculation. Reading between the lines definitely seems like it was some type of affair which was going to be revealed, so he was just trying to beat them to the punch.

I have prayed for him a few times since learning about his ordeal. I think what bothers me the most is people condemning him or judging him unfairly. Not only do any of us know what exactly happened, Tony, is human like the rest of us. He probably deals with more temptation than the average person due to being a preacher. Satan puts in OT hours on people like Dr. Evans. As a Christian I have my struggles. Imagine being front and center to the world?! I don't know how he and the others do it.

May God forgive, and continue to bless Dr Tony Evans
powerbelly
AG
My biggest issue is his hypocrisy. He makes his daughter stand up in front of the congregation and confess her sin when having a baby out of wedlock but he just puts out a vague press release? It's cowardly.
Aggie Dad 26
powerbelly said:

My biggest issue is his hypocrisy. He makes his daughter stand up in front of the congregation and confess her sin when having a baby out of wedlock but he just puts out a vague press release? It's cowardly.

Do you know why though?
powerbelly
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

powerbelly said:

Do you know why though?
No one does, because he is holding himself to less of a standard than he holds other people he has forced into public repentance. At this point, it must be much worse than an affair.
Aggie Dad 26
powerbelly said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

powerbelly said:

Do you know why though?
No one does, because he is holding himself to less of a standard than he holds other people he has forced into public repentance. At this point, it must be much worse than an affair.

You're taking your assumptions too far... you're judging him without knowing the facts. He could have been told by his attorney to keep his mouth closed. If he's asked for forgiveness from God, that's good enough for me. I don't NEED to know what he's done though I'm curious
powerbelly
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

powerbelly said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

powerbelly said:

Do you know why though?

You're taking your assumptions too far... you're judging him without knowing the facts. He could have been told by his attorney to keep his mouth closed. If he's asked for forgiveness from God, that's good enough for me. I don't NEED to know what he's done though I'm curious
He already said it wasn't illegal. If his attorney is protecting him from civil issues then it's just greed/cowardliness that is keeping his mouth shut.

Like I said, he is holding himself to less of a standard than he has held others over the years. Those called to lead should be held to a higher standard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.