Newly Independent Churches - who else?

1,035 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by dermdoc
Galt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to start a thread for churches that have recently become independent. Would really appreciate a group to bounce ideas off of, ask for ideas and advice, and perhaps share encouragement as it's needed for all of us.

Our church (~150 avg Sunday attendance across 2 services, small town in Hill Country) voted to disaffiliate from the UMC months back. After further discernment, the congregation felt pretty strongly that Independent Methodist/Wesleyan was the right call for us. We have been pretty focused on meeting the goals and conditions for disaffiliation. We have a great congregation who have largely stayed together throughout the disaffiliation tribulations. Now, we will have to figure out how to become a successful Independent church and congregation.

Some of the topics that have come up for us on our journey so far:
1) How do we execute an effective pastor search, evaluation, and hiring?
2) Best ways and new opportunities for mission work?
3) Best ways to grow and continue Kids and Youth ministries?
4) How to maintain some level of connectionalism with other congregations as an Independent church?
5) Effective dispute resolution as an Independent church

Anyone else either a leader or congregation member of a newly Independent church that would be interested in networking and sharing ideas, either in-person or online?
88Warrior
Galt said:

I'm looking to start a thread for churches that have recently become independent. Would really appreciate a group to bounce ideas off of, ask for ideas and advice, and perhaps share encouragement as it's needed for all of us.

Our church (~150 avg Sunday attendance across 2 services, small town in Hill Country) voted to disaffiliate from the UMC months back. After further discernment, the congregation felt pretty strongly that Independent Methodist/Wesleyan was the right call for us. We have been pretty focused on meeting the goals and conditions for disaffiliation. We have a great congregation who have largely stayed together throughout the disaffiliation tribulations. Now, we will have to figure out how to become a successful Independent church and congregation.

Some of the topics that have come up for us on our journey so far:
1) How do we execute an effective pastor search, evaluation, and hiring?
2) Best ways and new opportunities for mission work?
3) Best ways to grow and continue Kids and Youth ministries?
4) How to maintain some level of connectionalism with other congregations as an Independent church?
5) Effective dispute resolution as an Independent church

Anyone else either a leader or congregation member of a newly Independent church that would be interested in networking and sharing ideas, either in-person or online?

Here. Our church, Asbury Tulsa, left the UMC as well. We were the largest UMC in Oklahoma at the time with close to 7000 members. So far we've stayed as an independent Wesleyan church until we figure out where we need to be. We have an "re-affiliation" committee looking at different options including the WMC and others. We definitely do not want to remain independent but want to make sure we're not jumping into a denomination that may be trending towards what the UMC has become. Since we've left we've actually send tremendous growth and energy especially among young families! Pray your church finds the same!
Athanasius
AG
Man, I'm sorry people are going through this. I hope you find that home.

I would encourage this to be considered as well: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism: Hahn, Kimberly, Hahn, Scott: 9780898704785: Amazon.com: Books

Methodist Converts to Catholicism - The Coming Home Network (chnetwork.org)

aggiesherpa
AG
As far as preacher searching, I recommend reaching out to some christian universities, some of them have resources and names of people/groups that can help. For example, although not Methodist, Abilene Christian University will have resources/people (Siburt Institute for Church Ministry) who that can help out.

I believe there are Minister Search companies out there that can be hired as well.
CrackerJackAg
AG
I guess the cat is out of the bag with Protestantism already but it's strange to so casually talk about "breaking away, doing your own thing, be independent, let's just go find a guy etc…."

It's so far gone that further division is just "ho hum, no big deal."
88Warrior
CrackerJackAg said:

I guess the cat is out of the bag with Protestantism already but it's strange to so casually talk about "breaking away, doing your own thing, be independent, let's just go find a guy etc…."

What?
CrackerJackAg
AG
Exactly
88Warrior
CrackerJackAg said:

Exactly

Whatever…Not sure if you're Orthodox or RCC but I guess the East West schism never happened….
UTExan
CrackerJackAg said:

That's what Christianity has always done. Like cell division.
Of course there were those unfortunate times when the established church decided to murder, burn and torture those with differing convictions. That's when they fled to America.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
birddog7000
AG
CrackerJackAg said:

Comments like this show a high level of intellectual dishonesty and a serious lack of understanding of Christianity. Please stay off of threads like this where you cannot offer up anything constructive. If you knew the first thing about what our churches have gone through to disaffiliate from an apostate denomination you would not make such low-brow comments. Christ's church is wherever two Christians come together.

OP, I have been a part of a church that disaffiliated and went independent. We just voted on our new pastor last Sunday. God's gracious hand has been on our church during this whole time and His Holy Spirit has been poured out richly. I pray the same for your church family! I'll buy a star again so I can pm, would love to visit whenever you would like.
CrackerJackAg
AG
UTExan said:

CrackerJackAg said:

Of course there were those unfortunate times when dissidents from the established church decided to murder, burn and torture those with differing convictions. That's when they fled to America.

I guess all those English were fleeing the two to three century old Protestant Church of England.

The Protestant reformation didn't do much for Christian unity. Even amongst themselves.

UTExan
CrackerJackAg said:

UTExan said:

CrackerJackAg said:

Of course there were those unfortunate times when dissidents from the established church decided to murder, burn and torture those with differing convictions. That's when they fled to America.

I guess all those English were fleeing the two to three century old Protestant Church of England.

The Protestant reformation didn't do much for Christian unity. Even amongst themselves.

Actually I was thinking about Catholics killing Waldensians, Lollards, Huguenots and those pesky reform-minded Catholics like Savonarola.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
CrackerJackAg
AG
Yeah, that only went one way.

Protestants were super cool to Catholics when they were in charge.

That's a RCC/Protestant dispute so not my beef.
Jabin
Way to encourage unity! Condescending criticism always works so well.

And . . .
Quote:

That's a RCC/Protestant dispute so not my beef.
Why are you posting on this thread, then?
CrackerJackAg
AG
CrackerJackAg said:

Because this. Then some one whined and cried about something that didn't happen to them or affect them in any way for the worst.

EVERYONE has been persecuted at some point in their ancestry. The best part is that it's far enough back you and I can both point to the same ancestors probably and have completely different feelings based on what team they were on.
golfinag94
birddog7000 said:

CrackerJackAg said:

Comments like this show a high level of intellectual dishonesty and a serious lack of understanding of Christianity. Please stay off of threads like this where you cannot offer up anything constructive. If you knew the first thing about what our churches have gone through to disaffiliate from an apostate denomination you would not make such low-brow comments. Christ's church is wherever two Christians come together.

OP, I have been a part of a church that disaffiliated and went independent. We just voted on our new pastor last Sunday. God's gracious hand has been on our church during this whole time and His Holy Spirit has been poured out richly. I pray the same for your church family! I'll buy a star again so I can pm, would love to visit whenever you would like.
This right here.
dermdoc
AG
birddog7000 said:

CrackerJackAg said:

Amen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.