Hate speech = blasphemy?

591 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by jrico2727
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To me, these terms seem to be often interchangeable.
The problem, I think, stems from political power wanting to
control public conversations, and tending to believe, or at least
to portray, their rivals as liars or worse.
CrackerJackAg
AG
I don't believe that the people who use the term "hate speech" often have a "god" that we would recognize.

dermdoc
AG
To me, blasphemy entails speaking against any member of the Trinity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
88Warrior
I say this as a Christian…Using the word blasphemy to describe anything other than going against the Trinity cheapens and lessens the impact of the word as it was intended…imho..
jrico2727
AG
This question could be considered blasphemy, to equate man to God. Which is the first temptation in garden to be like gods.

In a sense it is ridiculous to equate a offense towards the almighty the same as towards man, but I do understand where the OP is coming from because today in our secular society man is elevated above God. Those who push this concept tend to act with a religious zeal. The term "Hate" speech is used to indoctrinate and numb the masses, to use soft terms that seem to nullify true meanings. I am not advocating cruelty, but to tell someone born a certain sex that no amount of drugs or surgery will change that fact is now considered by many to be hateful. To not blaspheme is a direct commandment from God. To love our neighbor is the 2nd and subordinate commandment, also given by God. However in the current climate telling the truth to your neighbor is hateful, if they choose not to accept it. This is fickle and obviously something easily used to manipulate.

I know the same criticism is applied towards religion. After all we all know who we cannot make cartoons about if we want to keep our heads. As a side note I have always found it interesting those who usually do not profess a faith are usually first rate blasphemers and cannot complete a story without a gd or jc sprinkled in. Always have found it interesting in their edgy and sophisticated ways they never dropped a buddha damnit or cursed anyone with Thor or likewise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.