The latest on the Shroud of Turin - just in time for Good Friday and Easter

5,845 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LCE
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Thought some of us might appreciate this as we approach the Triduum.
Faithful Ag
The shroud of Turin is an amazing image Christ left for us. For anyone unfamiliar with the Shroud take the time to watch this video, and more videos on the subject.

Perfect time and subject for reflection!
Jabin
I'm interested in what the good friar has to say, but don't necessarily want to watch a 30 minute video to get five minutes worth of information. Do you happen to know if he has put any of his research or findings into writing?
Catag94
AG
Great article about it in the latest News Max.

ETA:
I highly encourage you to read the article in News Max. It adds to what this Video offers.
Faithful Ag
Highlights:

The shroud of Turin is the actual burial cloth of Jesus Christ, which all of the scientific evidence strongly supports.

The 3 dimensional image layered onto the cloth is the most scientifically analyzed image in the world and cannot be explained or reproduced even with today's technology.

The 372 blood stains match up perfectly with the gospel accounts of Jesus Christ's unusual crucifixion including the crown of thorns and the spear in his side.

The reverse negative image is made after the blood stains and would take the equivalent of more more than 500,000 search lights of energy focused for 1/40 Billionths of a second which is not possible to recreate even with the laser technology in the modern world.

Win At Life
AG
When I was a kid, I was fascinated by this. But, as I grew up, I developed more critical thinking skills. Look, whatever this thing is, it's a "projection" on a stretched piece of cloth and no way an image that was "Wrapped " around a person.

And about 10 years ago, it was demonstrated how this could be precisely reproduce with a few chemicals (amonia?) And sunlight. The more interesting mystery is who did this, because there weren't many people at the time who likely could have pulled this off and probably used a real human cadaver to do it. The most interesting thought is DaVinci himself.
The Banned
Win At Life said:

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by this. But, as I grew up, I developed more critical thinking skills. Look, whatever this thing is, it's a "projection" on a stretched piece of cloth and no way an image that was "Wrapped " around a person.

And about 10 years ago, it was demonstrated how this could be precisely reproduce with a few chemicals (amonia?) And sunlight. The more interesting mystery is who did this, because there weren't many people at the time who likely could have pulled this off and probably used a real human cadaver to do it. The most interesting thought is DaVinci himself.

Your second paragraph is false. A similar image could be semi recreated and lasted for 15 minutes. That is nothing at all like this image that has lasted thousands of years, has no detectable chemical elements and does produce a 3D image.
Macarthur
So, this isn't something that I've spent much time on over the years, but didn't the church think, at the time it was 'discovered', it was a hoax?

Sure seems like a case of having a conclusion and trying to cram in as much 'evidence' as possible to reach that conclusion.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Macarthur said:

So, this isn't something that I've spent much time on over the years, but didn't the church think, at the time it was 'discovered', it was a hoax?

Sure seems like a case of having a conclusion and trying to cram in as much 'evidence' as possible to reach that conclusion.
Tell me you didn't watch the video without telling me you didn't watch the video…
Macarthur
No, I did not spend 30 min of my time on it.
The Banned
Macarthur said:

No, I did not spend 30 min of my time on it.

I'm not aware of the church thinking it was a hoax, but it wouldn't surprise. Generally speaking the Church takes an antagonistic approach to miraculous things in order to avoid scandal.

I'd recommend listening to it. Even if you don't want to get on board with the Jesus part, this truly is a one of a kind image. If it's a fake, it's one of the most ingenious things ever accomplished.
Macarthur
Here's some counterpoints. For the sake of discussion.

https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2020/02/24/sorry-the-shroud-of-turin-is-definitely-a-hoax/

FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Macarthur said:

Here's some counterpoints. For the sake of discussion.

https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2020/02/24/sorry-the-shroud-of-turin-is-definitely-a-hoax/

I won't pretend to be able to answer all the points of contention raised in this article. But this one has been explained quite convincingly by many others

Evidence #4: The Turin Shroud was radiocarbon dated and the material definitively dates to sometime between c. 1260 and c. 1390.

Moreover, the first three are qualitatively different than the others and frankly not persuasive.

I am sure the other "Evidences" are addressed by experts and have all been addressed, leaving the overall question as to authenticity unanswered in any definitive way.

The Banned
Sorry if this comes across confrontational. Don't mean to. Typing on my phone and in a rush.

- documentation would be nice but not necessary
- there is a confession from a forger of a shroud. The author failed to tie these together. Further more, plenty of scientific studies have shown there is no pigment used of any kind. This is 100% not a painting. Their best guess right now is a massive amount of radiation. You can refer to the video for that.
- none of the 3rd point made any sense, and is also addressed in the video.
- the carbon dating experiment is also explained in the video and has been debunked as bad science.
- the anatomical anomalies also makes no sense. All the science I've seen have remarked at how amazingly anatomically correct it is. The longer right arm for example: most experts see that and can see the right shoulder was dislocated (in the video). The facial contortions are easily attributed to being beaten to hell all night and then crucified.
- I've heard the exact opposite about the bloodstains, but I'll need to find the article. I'm addition, the blood was applied prior to the image of the body. But overall, I will concede I need to do more research here
- The last point about the weave makes no sense. The author admits the weave existed, but would have been very expensive. That's not a problem at all. He was just anointed in an oil that represented a massive amount of money, and given an extremely expensive tomb by a rich follower. Coming across a nicer than average burial cloth would make sense for a man with such devoted followers. The Roman's didn't bury Him. His followers did.
Macarthur
Not confrontational at all. It was one of the articles I pulled up but I certainly would make no personal claims to the strength of their points. I think it's a fascinating topic but I'm not invested to the point believes would be, obviously.

I do think there are some items that those that believe are a bit too quick to dismiss, esp the dating.

Phillip Ball, a former editor of the science journal Nature, wrote in 2019 that "Nothing published so far on the shroud, including this paper, offers compelling reason to think that the 1989 study was substantially wrong but apparently it was not definitive either."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating_of_the_Shroud_of_Turin?wprov=sfti1
The Banned
I would watch the video. It is very clear that smiths processes used by the lab were errant. It can't neither be proven nor disproven right now and would be best served by redoing the carbon dating altogether. It was very, very flawed as is discussed in the video

To your point, it may very well be a fake. But it's an amazing fake of supreme quality and the original test has been retracted
Macarthur
I'll try to find some time to watch it. Thanks.
Catag94
AG
This full article is very good. Here is a link to parts of it.

https://w3.newsmax.com/General/NMM/Offers/Issues/NMM-2023-04
Thaddeus73
AG
dermdoc
AG
Thank you for that. Very informative. I believe the Shroud of Turin is really the image of Jesus.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
stbabs
AG
Believers stretch "evidence" to support the shroud as the actual image of Christ.
Skeptics rely on "evidence" that shows it to be concocted in the 12-13th century.
Other than carbon dating, nothing I've read about provides scientific proof one way or the other.
And, the accuracy of carbon dating can be and has been brought into question.
In the absence of better evidence I remain agnostic about the shroud.
Even if the shroud is proven to hold the imprint of a first century Jew, what does question does that actually answer? Proof of the Christ? Not really.
End result, believers rely on faith. Skeptics wait for proof.
Ain't that always the way?
Faithful Ag

Quote:

John 20: 4-11
Both of them were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. And stooping to look in, he saw the linen cloths lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus' head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself. Then the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; for as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that he must rise from the dead.

The linen burial cloth of Jesus, now called the Shroud of Turin, was significant in the belief of Peter and John upon their inspection of the tomb on the day of the Resurrection.

Let that sink in for a minute. When John was outside he saw the linen cloths laying in the tomb, but it was when he went in and was able to really see and inspect the burial cloth he believed. . What did John & Peter see that immediately led to their belief? I think what they saw was the image of their scourged and crucified Rabbi on the cloth.

Now what do you think they did with these burial and face cloths? I don't think they just left them there on the floor of the tomb.

The face cloth of Jesus is called the Sudarium of Oviedo. This cloth matches up perfectly with the wounds of the same person of the shroud of Turin including the same AB blood type. This face cloth is know to have existed going back to at least the 6th century or more than 600 years prior to the flawed "carbon dating" of the shroud. Also, artwork of Jesus dating back to the 5th & 6th centuries is clearly inspired by the image on the Shroud.

The scientific evidence supporting the Shroud of Turin being the burial cloth of Jesus is overwhelming - and is supported in the NT Scriptures above.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Zero doubt in my mind the shroud is a medieval piece of art. Radiocarbon dating has proven this.

Doesn't matter to me either way though. Knowing the shroud isn't real has no bearing on Christs sacrifice.
Aggrad08
AG
Even without the radiocarbon dating from three independent labs it's a very weak case.

There is no mention of the shroud whatsoever until the 14th century and in its first mention it's labeled a forgery by the local bishop and notes that the artist was identified (this just so happens to exactly match the radiocarbon dating).

Ignoring that it's an image of a roughly 6ft tall, long straight haired gothic European Jesus who would have really stood out in first century Palestine. And he just so happens to be covering his private bits in a way totally consistent with art and inconsistent with what the arms of a dead guy would do (you need to hold your elbows off the ground to put your hands like that).

I get the desire to have physical evidence, but this ain't it. I don't really see why this would effect your belief in the resurrection one way or another
The Banned
Aggrad08 said:

Even without the radiocarbon dating from three independent labs it's a very weak case.

There is no mention of the shroud whatsoever until the 14th century and in its first mention it's labeled a forgery by the local bishop and notes that the artist was identified (this just so happens to exactly match the radiocarbon dating).

Ignoring that it's an image of a roughly 6ft tall, long straight haired gothic European Jesus who would have really stood out in first century Palestine. And he just so happens to be covering his private bits in a way totally consistent with art and inconsistent with what the arms of a dead guy would do (you need to hold your elbows off the ground to put your hands like that).

I get the desire to have physical evidence, but this ain't it. I don't really see why this would effect your belief in the resurrection one way or another

Literally all of this is explained. It may not be the real Jesus burial cloth, but your arguments have all been thoroughly examined/debunked.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Isiah 53 says "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him"….

And according to archeological records first century Jewish men were on average 5'5". So a six foot Jesus would've been massive and stood out in the crowd at all times. Doesn't fit the prophecy IMO.

Also just by trusting my eyes the shroud looks like a muscular European man. Also it doesn't look like the imprint of a real body, not in the slightest, it's too "perfect" and just looks a drawing.

Just doesn't add up to me.
Aggrad08
AG
They really haven't
The Banned
Aggrad08 said:

They really haven't

The carbon dating was done poorly. Explained in the video. They only took samples from one part of the cloth that had already been identified as controversial by the UV/X-ray scans done. The agreement was to take small pieces from 6-7 separate parts of the cloth. The scientists made their own call when it came time.

A shroud was mentioned in the 14th century. Doesn't make it this shroud. The forger admitted to painting it. This cloth has no pigments of any kind. There is absolutely no way this can be a painting or drawing. So whatever that person forged, it wasn't this.

Most height estimates are 5'9"-5'11". While taller than average, he wasn't a giant. For example, the Roman Empire had a minimum height requirement of 5'10" for a time and lowered it to 5'8". This isn't insanely abnormal.

I don't know how you come up with him being European looking. Most of the people who have studied this in person say the face appears obviously swollen and bruised. A picture online can't truly do it justice. As for the arms, that has been explained by rigor mortis. The Bible talks about how Joseph had to petition for Jesus's body. It doesn't give how many hours that took, but it's safe to say they didn't take him down the second he died and wrap him up. With his arms stiffening in a crucified position, straightening them back out would have been difficult/impossible.

As you've said, this doesn't have to be His burial cloth for it all to be real, but this cloth is absolutely unexplainable by modern science. There is no way to fathom how this was created. I highly recommend watching the video.
Sapper Redux
Rigor mortis doesn't usually result in the arms perfectly covering the groin. Especially someone who was crucified. Dislocated shoulders are almost guaranteed when hanged in such a manner.
Catag94
AG
Actually, there is a correspondence from 1171 A.D. that Byzantine Emperor Manuel I Comnenus displayed the shroud to Anaury I, the crusader King of Jerusalem.

And
In 1203, crusader knight, Robert de Clari wrote to his soldiers back home after touring the city of Constantinople that at a "church called My Lady St. Mary of Blachernae, there was a shroud in which Our Lord had been wrapped…..,"

So, there are mentions of it earlier than you suggested.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Enjoyed the priests knowledge and insight. However, the host of the show was insufferable.
Aggrad08
AG
The Banned said:

The carbon dating was done poorly. Explained in the video. They only took samples from one part of the cloth that had already been identified as controversial by the UV/X-ray scans done. The agreement was to take small pieces from 6-7 separate parts of the cloth. The scientists made their own call when it came time.

I think a brief review of even the wiki on this shows this isn't the case:

Some proponents for the authenticity of the shroud have attempted to discount the radiocarbon dating result by claiming that the sample may represent a medieval "invisible" repair fragment rather than the image-bearing cloth] However, all of the hypotheses used to challenge the radiocarbon dating have been scientifically refuted,[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin#cite_note-c14.arch.ox.ac.uk-12][12][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin#cite_note-Radiocarbon_Dating_pg_167-168-7][7][/url] including the medieval repair hypothesis,[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin#cite_note-R.A._Freer-Waters,_A.J.T._Jull_2010-8][8][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin#cite_note-freeinquiry1-9][9][/url] the bio-contamination hypothesis[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin#cite_note-Gove_1990-11][11][/url] and the carbon monoxide hypothesis.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin#cite_note-c14.arch.ox.ac.uk-12][12][/url]

If there is one you find particularly compelling with can explore it further.

Further they have had three decades in which they could have had another test done and elected not to knowing good and well it won't turn out well for them.

Quote:

A shroud was mentioned in the 14th century. Doesn't make it this shroud.

This is not a strong argument at all. The shroud has a well document history back to the 14th century. The original record is in the right time at the exact right place to be this shroud. So unless this town had lots of shrouds moving about this is the one.

Further, it's damning that there is no mention of this shroud for the first 1200 years of Christianity.

Quote:

The forger admitted to painting it. This cloth has no pigments of any kind. There is absolutely no way this can be a painting or drawing. So whatever that person forged, it wasn't this.
None of this is true and I don't know why you think it is.

Appendix-A-Numbered.indd (mccroneinstitute.org)

Quote:

Most height estimates are 5'9"-5'11". While taller than average, he wasn't a giant. For example, the Roman Empire had a minimum height requirement of 5'10" for a time and lowered it to 5'8". This isn't insanely abnormal.
The average height of a man at the time was 5'-5". Being 4-7" taller than everyone else is tall. There are multiple instances in the bible noting jesus was quite ordinary in appearance and had to be specifically identified to be able to be distinguished from the disciples.

Quote:

I don't know how you come up with him being European looking. Most of the people who have studied this in person say the face appears obviously swollen and bruised.

Lot's of things are wrong with the face. First, the eyes are way off. He doesn't have them middle of the head like an actual human. You can't explain this by beating as smashing 2-3" off someone's skull doesn't happen perfectly symmetrically and leads to instant death.

Long hair at the time is culturally inappropriate for a man as noted in the NT.

The dudes European, I don't know how you can't see it. Jesus would have looked something like this:

Notice how the eyes are where eyes go.

Quote:

As for the arms, that has been explained by rigor mortis. The Bible talks about how Joseph had to petition for Jesus's body. It doesn't give how many hours that took, but it's safe to say they didn't take him down the second he died and wrap him up. With his arms stiffening in a crucified position, straightening them back out would have been difficult/impossible.

This is a particularly bizarre argument. Are you getting this from someplace? It's silly from three points of view. Rigor mortis cannot hold you in a position that requires flexed muscles. The person is dead, it holds them in the position that gravity dictates. Riger mortis Starts a few hours after death and last about 8 hours max. How do you propose rigor mortis explains this?

Quote:

As you've said, this doesn't have to be His burial cloth for it all to be real, but this cloth is absolutely unexplainable by modern science.
This just isnt true. That this is medieval art is very obvious.
The Banned
Sapper Redux said:

Rigor mortis doesn't usually result in the arms perfectly covering the groin. Especially someone who was crucified. Dislocated shoulders are almost guaranteed when hanged in such a manner.

I meant the elbows. Might have been difficult to get a body that had been hanging dead for several hours to get their elbows back into a resting position.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The shroud really doesn't look human at all. It looks like someone tried to draw a 3d human on a 2d linen. Now I understand my opinion of what the shroud looks like is exactly that, my opinion. But there's one easy way to disprove the "faulty" radiocarbon results and give credibility to the believers comments that seek to refute the testing.

Quote:

Further they have had three decades in which they could have had another test done and elected not to knowing good and well it won't turn out well for them.

So unless it is re-evaluated and comes back as first century linen the Middle Ages radiocarbon dating is the only scientific data point that matters IMO.
Jabin
Another video on the shroud that addresses some of the issues raised in this thread:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.