Question for the RCC and Orthodox

14,792 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PabloSerna
Jabin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question for you guys. As I understand from your postings, you view the biggest differentiator and advantage of the RCC and the Orthodox Churches over Protestantism as being a unity of doctrine. If I understand you correctly, church councils establish official church doctrine to which all church members are supposed to adhere. That is in stark contrast to Protestants who can believe whatever they want.

Please correct my understanding if I've gotten it wrong. Please try to avoid getting into too much "churchese" (a *******ization of "legalese") because as someone who is not accustomed to that language, it makes it difficult to follow.

My question, if my understanding is correct, is what practical difference does it make? Two major points appear to me that seem to make that distinction meaningless:

1. Virtually all Catholics I know adhere to a very wide range of doctrines. Even Church officials I've met don't all agree or follow official Church doctrine. From a real-world practical viewpoint, Catholics don't seem to be all that different from Protestants.

I can't speak as much regarding Orthodox since I've met far fewer. However, of those I've known, there seems to be a wide difference between those that were born and raised Orthodox in countries where it was the predominant faith and Americans who are relatively recent converts to Orthodoxy. The "born and raised" Orthodox don't seem to really care about doctrine at all and, again, seem to pick and choose which doctrines they choose to believe and follow.

2. The commitment to a unitary Church doctrine does not seem to have had a salutory effect within the two churches, either. Both are just as subject to hypocrisy, horrendous sins, and generally un-Christlike behavior as the worst of Protestants. Conversely, I don't see Orthodoxy bearing the fruits of the Holy Spirit that are supposed to be the hallmark of true Christianity. Where is Orthodoxy's great mission or evangelism programs, its hospitals, its universities? How has it changed and improved the cultures within which it exists? The RCC did, at one time, manifestly demonstrate those fruits, although those years may be purely historical.

To summarize, I don't see the practical, real world evidence that your churches are the "one true faith" as you seem to claim. In terms of fruit, it's hard to argue with what God has done through the Protestant churches.

ETA: Second question - as between the RCC and the Orthodox churches, which one is actually the "one true church"?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Conversely, I don't see Orthodoxy bearing the fruits of the Holy Spirit that are supposed to be the hallmark of true Christianity. Where is Orthodoxy's great mission or evangelism programs, its hospitals, its universities?
I'm neither RCC or Orthodox, but the fruits of the Holy Spirit that are supposed to be the hallmark of "true Christianity" aren't evangelism programs, hospitals, or universities. They are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. In the evangelical/RCC world, that "love" manifests itself in things like evangelism, hospitals, shelters, etc. I'd caution against assuming that they are not bearing fruit simply because the fruit manifests itself differently.

Not to mention, the Orthodox Church does have universities: Orthodox Universities and Colleges - Orthodox Christianity (orthodox-christianity.org), and I'm assuming they have hospitals as well.
nortex97
AG
Not either but you might check out the history of universal councils (Ecumenical), synods, papal infallibility doctrines, and some of that stuff. I don't claim to know all the in's and out's but while the Orthodox are much more nuanced/distributed in their apostolic authority, there are misperceptions about total unity as to RCC adherents as well.

I've been curious what the real differences, if any, in theology/dogma are between for instance Franciscan and Dominican rite Catholics. It's tough for an outsider to discern.
jrico2727
AG
I appreciate the OP, however I would honestly see the advantage that the Orthodox and we Catholics have over Protestantism is the Holy Eucharist. It is the body, bloody, soul and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
John 6:53
Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.

We all have differing opinions we struggle to find the balance between what everyone should adhere to and what liberties we have from there. This has always been present in the Church from the earliest of times.

What unites us as the True Body of Christ, his Church, is reception of his Body and Blood that he gives us to nourish and strengthen us both physically and spiritually and to transform us into what we consume. He took on our humanity so we could share in his divinity.
Zobel
AG
I wouldn't say unity of doctrine is an advantage. Unity of the faith as St Paul puts it is an endpoint, a mark of the Church which is participating in and led by the Spirit. Actual unity is not found laterally between men, but in participation in Christ. so in this sense, I agree with jrico completely because this unity is found in the eucharist, in the communion we have. As St Paul says, "Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread."

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about doctrine. At least for the Orthodox, believers can "believe whatever they want" as well. The only difference is at some point if your faith departs from that of the Apostles, you are no longer in a unity of faith. Again as St Paul puts it, we have "one Lord, one faith, one baptism." Doctrine is not the product of deliberations or councils. Doctrine witnesses to the faith, it represents the faith, it is an icon or symbol of the faith (hence in Greek it is not the "creed" but the symbol of faith, that which represents the other). At some point if you depart from the faith, you have a difference experience than that of the Apostles, Fathers, and the Church - therefore there is something different about your faith which must be examined.

If you break down the categories, a useful way to think about it is dogmatic fact, dogma, and theologoumenon.

The Church, from the beginning, abides in dogmatic fact. The life of the Church is the life in Christ, and He alone guides, leads, and shepherds the Church. To be in the Church is to encounter Christ as a community. From this reality, this dogmatic fact, comes dogma. Dogmatic fact is unchanging. Dogma comes into being.

Dogma is an expression of the dogmatic fact of the reality of the life in Christ. For example, that Yahweh the God of Israel is three Persons is something that was revealed in the life of Israel and the Church. From it, the declaration of the dogma of the Trinity comes. These are things you must believe, and if you do not believe them, you are outside of the faith - because you are not in the same reality of experience. The list of dogmatic statements a Christian must accept are limited. For the most part, the symbol of faith covers them.

Finally, theologoumenon are things that are opinions about God. This is gray area, or things which are not revealed divinely, outside of authority. You may have a theologoumenon or disagree and still be in the Church. Most disagreements in my experience are theologoumenon.
Quote:

Conversely, I don't see Orthodoxy bearing the fruits of the Holy Spirit that are supposed to be the hallmark of true Christianity. Where is Orthodoxy's great mission or evangelism programs, its hospitals, its universities? How has it changed and improved the cultures within which it exists?
Forgive me, but this seems to be simple ignorance of history. Orthodoxy's great missions includes the Christianization of England, Wales, Ireland, Scandinavia, North Africa, and the Slavic peoples, as well as Christian missions to Persia, India, and China. Indeed it also included fighting the so-called Trilingual heresy, teaching that the scriptures and divine services should always be presented to the people in a language they can understand. To this end, for example, the whole language and alphabet of Church Slavonic and the initial Cyrillic alphabet (named for St Cyril) was created. That the modern evangelical tradition enjoys scriptures and services in their native tongue is an Orthodox idea (Luther appealed to Orthodoxy in this regard).

The concept of a hospital was indeed invented by an Orthodox saint - St Basil the Great - The Basiliad. So the entirety of the Christian hospital tradition has its roots in Orthodoxy.

Nearly all of the scriptural manuscripts (and many other documents) we enjoy are the product of Orthodox monasteries, many of which have been continuously operating for over 1500 years. This includes St Catherine's in Sinai (the world's oldest library) and of course the monasteries on Mt Athos. Orthodoxy is the root of the entire monastic tradition, which started in the deserts of Africa and was imported by St John Cassian to the West.

Orthodoxy Christianized Rome, and indeed the Romans (later Byzantines) carried the light of civilization through the medieval period, bequeathing science, medicine, philosophy, and a theological inheritance to the west, the Arab east, and the Slavic north. (Sailing from Byzantium is a great non-religious book on this topic).

Perhaps the best mark of "true" Christianity is the blood of the martyrs, the seed of the Church. This is the struggle, tragedy, and triumph of Orthodoxy for the past 1500 years. Orthodox nations have been under nearly continuous persecution variously from Islam, western Crusades, the Ottoman empire, and Communism. Due to persecution, the first Greek copy of the scriptures was not printed in Greece or Turkey until the twentieth century. Over 100,000 Russian clergy were murdered in 1937-1938 alone. Some twenty million Christians were martyred by the Soviets. The continuity of the witness of the Russian Church is a jewel in the crown of Christian history.

Quote:

To summarize, I don't see the practical, real world evidence that your churches are the "one true faith" as you seem to claim. In terms of fruit, it's hard to argue with what God has done through the Protestant churches.
Again, this is just ignorance and a one-sided view. By way of example, Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism effectively abolished slavery in Christendom. In a real way Protestantism reintroduced it and championed it. Protestants and protestant nations are responsible for unheard of bloodshed and war from the beginning of their history, including presiding over the bloodiest century in human history. (I am being intentionally provocative here, if only to make you consider history from an unbiased lens).

The test of "one true faith" is the continuous, unbroken adherence to the faith of the Apostles. Nothing more, nothing less.
BluHorseShu
AG
Zobel said:

I wouldn't say unity of doctrine is an advantage. Unity of the faith as St Paul puts it is an endpoint, a mark of the Church which is participating in and led by the Spirit. Actual unity is not found laterally between men, but in participation in Christ. so in this sense, I agree with jrico completely because this unity is found in the eucharist, in the communion we have. As St Paul says, "Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread."

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about doctrine. At least for the Orthodox, believers can "believe whatever they want" as well. The only difference is at some point if your faith departs from that of the Apostles, you are no longer in a unity of faith. Again as St Paul puts it, we have "one Lord, one faith, one baptism." Doctrine is not the product of deliberations or councils. Doctrine witnesses to the faith, it represents the faith, it is an icon or symbol of the faith (hence in Greek it is not the "creed" but the symbol of faith, that which represents the other). At some point if you depart from the faith, you have a difference experience than that of the Apostles, Fathers, and the Church - therefore there is something different about your faith which must be examined.

If you break down the categories, a useful way to think about it is dogmatic fact, dogma, and theologoumenon.

The Church, from the beginning, abides in dogmatic fact. The life of the Church is the life in Christ, and He alone guides, leads, and shepherds the Church. To be in the Church is to encounter Christ as a community. From this reality, this dogmatic fact, comes dogma. Dogmatic fact is unchanging. Dogma comes into being.

Dogma is an expression of the dogmatic fact of the reality of the life in Christ. For example, that Yahweh the God of Israel is three Persons is something that was revealed in the life of Israel and the Church. From it, the declaration of the dogma of the Trinity comes. These are things you must believe, and if you do not believe them, you are outside of the faith - because you are not in the same reality of experience. The list of dogmatic statements a Christian must accept are limited. For the most part, the symbol of faith covers them.

Finally, theologoumenon are things that are opinions about God. This is gray area, or things which are not revealed divinely, outside of authority. You may have a theologoumenon or disagree and still be in the Church. Most disagreements in my experience are theologoumenon.
Quote:

Conversely, I don't see Orthodoxy bearing the fruits of the Holy Spirit that are supposed to be the hallmark of true Christianity. Where is Orthodoxy's great mission or evangelism programs, its hospitals, its universities? How has it changed and improved the cultures within which it exists?
Forgive me, but this seems to be simple ignorance of history. Orthodoxy's great missions includes the Christianization of England, Wales, Ireland, Scandinavia, North Africa, and the Slavic peoples, as well as Christian missions to Persia, India, and China. Indeed it also included fighting the so-called Trilingual heresy, teaching that the scriptures and divine services should always be presented to the people in a language they can understand. To this end, for example, the whole language and alphabet of Church Slavonic and the initial Cyrillic alphabet (named for St Cyril) was created. That the modern evangelical tradition enjoys scriptures and services in their native tongue is an Orthodox idea (Luther appealed to Orthodoxy in this regard).

The concept of a hospital was indeed invented by an Orthodox saint - St Basil the Great - The Basiliad. So the entirety of the Christian hospital tradition has its roots in Orthodoxy.

Nearly all of the scriptural manuscripts (and many other documents) we enjoy are the product of Orthodox monasteries, many of which have been continuously operating for over 1500 years. This includes St Catherine's in Sinai (the world's oldest library) and of course the monasteries on Mt Athos. Orthodoxy is the root of the entire monastic tradition, which started in the deserts of Africa and was imported by St John Cassian to the West.

Orthodoxy Christianized Rome, and indeed the Romans (later Byzantines) carried the light of civilization through the medieval period, bequeathing science, medicine, philosophy, and a theological inheritance to the west, the Arab east, and the Slavic north. (Sailing from Byzantium is a great non-religious book on this topic).

Perhaps the best mark of "true" Christianity is the blood of the martyrs, the seed of the Church. This is the struggle, tragedy, and triumph of Orthodoxy for the past 1500 years. Orthodox nations have been under nearly continuous persecution variously from Islam, western Crusades, the Ottoman empire, and Communism. Due to persecution, the first Greek copy of the scriptures was not printed in Greece or Turkey until the twentieth century. Over 100,000 Russian clergy were murdered in 1937-1938 alone. Some twenty million Christians were martyred by the Soviets. The continuity of the witness of the Russian Church is a jewel in the crown of Christian history.

Quote:

Again, this is just ignorance and a one-sided view. By way of example, Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism effectively abolished slavery in Christendom. In a real way Protestantism reintroduced it and championed it. Protestants and protestant nations are responsible for unheard of bloodshed and war from the beginning of their history, including presiding over the bloodiest century in human history. (I am being intentionally provocative here, if only to make you consider history from an unbiased lens).

The test of "one true faith" is the continuous, unbroken adherence to the faith of the Apostles. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well stated Zobel. I remember being really hesitant about moving from my Protestant upbringing (and thru college) into the Catholic Church…But when I realized all of the wrong, uninformed things I was taught about the RCC, I considered that 1) I was already a Christian and changing dominations was not going to undo that, and 2) The Eucharist was so impactful for me, but also for myself, the idea of one body in Christ really resonated. As a Protestant it was always drilled in us that we were right and everyone else was wrong. Seemed to always be a very defensive position. So the promotion of the Unity in the Body of Christ was impactful.
In an ironic twist, I also discovered that my grandmother and her lineage were all Catholic and donated the land for the first Catholic Church in the Northern Neck in Virginia. So much of what I discovered had Gods hand in it.
UTExan
" Again, this is just ignorance and a one-sided view. By way of example, Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism effectively abolished slavery in Christendom. In a real way Protestantism reintroduced it and championed it. Protestants and protestant nations are responsible for unheard of bloodshed and war from the beginning of their history, including presiding over the bloodiest century in human history. (I am being intentionally provocative here, if only to make you consider history from an unbiased lens)."

The "Protestants" learned from being slaughtered by the existing church. The Hussites, Waldensians, Lollards, etc. are prime examples. But to your point about slavery: as the Portuguese explored and colonized, they were granted exclusive rights to slavery (Pope Nicolas commanded the Portuguese to reduce to perpetual slavery all non-Christians as necessary in 1452 and 1455).
https://ldhi.library.cofc.edu/exhibits/show/african_laborers_for_a_new_emp/pope_nicolas_v_and_the_portugu

The Catholic Spanish kept Indio slavery going in Mexico through a defacto caste system based on percentage of European ancestry as T R Fenrenbach's eminently readable history of the country points out. (Fire and Blood: A History of Mexico)

I am a bit confused about your defense of Orthodoxy in Eastern Europe re slavery/serfdom. It wasn't until February of 1861 that the Russian czar ended serfdom while anti slavery initiatives in the UK were impelled by the efforts of the evangelicals such as Wesley during the 1700s (evangelicals also advocated early for humane treatment of animals) . I am cautious about viewing history in the 18th, 19th or 20th century through the eyes of 21st century sensibilities, but the forward thinking of the British evangelicals is nothing less than breathtaking for the scope of their vision and achievements given the norms of the day.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Zobel
AG
The Reformation period was ugly, and none of the wars were strictly religious. Even theological positions were often informed by political aspirations - that is a truism as much in Byzantine and Russian history as it is in European. I think we can all agree here, yes?

That being said, it seems shallow to say ((xx group)) did a bunch of good things, like hospitals! without also acknowledging that ((xx group)) also participated in a bunch of bad things, like genocide and wars. If we're going to credit the west with universities and such, we also need to credit them with WWII.

As for Pope Nicolas - this is often a distorted view of history that people make hay with. There has always been a difference between just and unjust servitude. We recognize the same to this day with POWs and prisoners (e.g., Geneva Convention and the 13th amendment). If you're going to talk about Dum Diversas you need to be pretty clear about what "perpetual servitude" means. Would such servitude be just or unjust? Does it refer to slavery at all? Show your work. A good discussion can be found here.

If we mention Dum Diversas, you need to also mention Sicut Dudum, Sublimus Dei, Cum Sicuti, Commissum Nobis, Immensa Pastorum, and In Supremo. As such it is clear that while Catholics may have had a "de facto" caste system in Mexico, this was against explicit and repeated formal prohibitions of slavery including the punishment of excommunication. Contrast this with, say, the Southern Baptist Convention which was formed explicitly in support of slavery.

As for your last paragraph - serfdom is not slavery.

The entire point of the post was not to engage in sectarian triumphalism. I reject the premise that we can make a historical inquiry of who has the fullness of truth by counting wars, universities, hospitals, converts, and so on on some kind of aggregated scoring basis. At the same time, most Americans suffer from acute historical ignorance about the Church between Pentecost and 1517, primarily due to the focus of the historical education curriculum in schools and a holdover or acceptance of the pejorative "Dark Ages" and "Enlightenment" descriptions of post-pagan Christendom. The general premise is there was Jesus, the Romans, yadda yadda yadda, the Dark Ages, Enlightenment and the Reformation (we're SAVED!), Columbus discovered America, Puritans invented work ethic, and finally the world had Real Christians again.
UTExan
None of those actors is pure by 21st century standards. No group should claim a triumphalist position nor should any sect believe itself morally superior to another because we simply do not have the mind of God nor do we have His all encompassing knowledge. And yet I would say unequivocally that the evangelical reforms in England were fairly breathtaking: widespread revivals which were eschewed by the established clergy along with drop in consumption of alcoholic spirits ( gin being the drug of choice for poor ) along with improvement associations and accountability groups in the forms of classes, bands and societies. American evangelicalism I believe suffered its moral blind spot in slavery and race in general because of several factors: one was the model of the Haitian slave revolt in the late 1700s. It was breathtaking in terms of genocidal warfare in that slaves beheaded the children of whites they caught and displayed the heads on pikes and the Europeans did the same to black people. It was a negative model for the southern slaveholding states where violent slave revolts had occurred. Another factor was the ethnic warfare against Indians which was part of westward expansion and settlement. Any family with pioneer ancestors from the 1830s to the 1870s (like mine) will likely have stories of battles with Comanches. A third factor is the fumbled Reconstruction policy which resulted in Jim Crow and institutional discrimination against black people. All these played into a racialized version of faith finding its expression in white supremacist theology which justified suppression of other races.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Zobel
AG
I don't claim moral superiority, and I don't think triumphalism is appropriate.

I do confess that the Church has the fullness of truth.
nortex97
AG
Great post, as usual. Thx.
UTExan
Zobel said:

I don't claim moral superiority, and I don't think triumphalism is appropriate.

I do confess that the Church has the fullness of truth.

This is a discussion I have with my Mormon neighbors and friends who similarly confess their church has fullness of truth. Israel had fullness of truth in its time. What ultimately matters to me is how I will answer in accordance with 2 Corinthians 5:10

" For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad."
Pet Sounds
AG
Catholic here. I believe Christian unity is important because it is what Christ Himself prayed for so we could be a better witness to the world (John 17:21). Admittedly, it's hard to witness convincingly when we are so divided.

I really think you have to acknowledge Christ founded a physical church that He gave special authority to in order to make unity a doable goal. Christ gave the Church the necessary "equipment" to settle disputes which only the Catholic Church has with the magisterium, the pope serving as the universal head. We affirm Christ established a Church that He founded on Peter (Matthew 16:18) giving him a unique primacy. He also directed him to act as the special shepherd for the Church (John 21:15-19). Christ clearly gave us a process to handle disputes with the Church being the ultimate authority (Matthew 18:15-20). It's clear we are not our own authority, but have to answer to one.

Historically, the early church had a metro-political way of handling many church issues. Regional and local church bishops/authorities handled most affairs, but major cases consulted the pope. The Roman apostolic See settled all ecclesiastical disputes paralleling the Seat of Moses. If we reunited with the Orthodox, I would like to see us return to this model. We have already reached this understanding with some eastern catholic sui iuris churches that have reunited with Rome.

The Catholic Church does debate issues but so does everyone else. The difference is other church communities split endlessly to find agreement while the Catholic Church, once it authoritatively speaks settles the dispute. Either it is accepted, at worst rejected into formal schism, or at the very least resisted by people who develop schismatic attitudes. Ultimately, my point is whatever is debated can be settled. To put it another way, you need an umpire for the game to make calls, otherwise anyone can make up their own calls or rules and distort the true game. The Catholic Church has an umpire.

While Orthodox and Protestants further divided the Church, that does not mean God cannot work through other communities for His greater glory. All Christians can still be shining examples in this world. Many Christians today had nothing to do with their faith tradition's schism generations ago.

As to who is the "one true church", I would default to the Nicene creed for the four marks of the church: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic. You'd have to do your own research, study, and prayer to ultimately decide.
australopithecus robustus
The Nicene creed is recited in the Orthdox Church as well, with the same wording "one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church". The creed of course predated the great schism in 1054. This of course has great relevance whenever the point is made from a Roman Catholic point of view as it seems many Roman Catholics are unaware of this fact.
PacifistAg
AG
And isn't it the Nicene Creed that the RCC changed w/ regards to the fillioque?
Catag94
AG
Zobel said:

Zobel, what examples of these might you offer?
Zobel
AG
Teachings of a father which aren't necessarily in a theological or dogmatic sense, strictly. One thing that comes up here often is hell and eternity for sinners - that falls into that area, as long as the opinion doesn't contradict the dogmatic affirmations. So you see several fathers with varying opinions.
Catag94
AG
So how would you classify a disbelief or at least doubt of dogma not really found in scripture. For example:
The immaculate conception of Mary.
The continued virginity of Mary
The assumption of Mary

Or the belief that baptism should be for individuals who, by their own desire, chose the faith?

Also,
Jrico pointed to the main advantage being in the Eucharist.
Question: when Martin Luther was a practicing Catholic priest, he clearly participated in the Eucharist. How would you say this changed when he started offering the same to his followers after he was excommunicated? I ask because I believe Martin Luther was right in his quest with regard to the 95 theses. I believe the RCC clergy were in the wrong. Martin Luther was attempting to get the clergy to stop the sinful activities in which the church was involved.

I'd argue that, if Martin Luther's motives and actions in this quest were pure and good in the sight of the Lord, and the bishops' and Pope's were evil, that there is a good chance that, post excommunication, when Martin Luther performed (or rather Christ through him) the Consecration as he had before, the miracle of consubstantiation took place. And, I'd argue that perhaps that same miracle was not taking place for those clergy caught up in evil?
Thoughts?
jrico2727
AG
I think there is a lot to in unpack here. First no one disputes the corruption that Luther exposed. However he went far beyond calling out the corruption, he tired to change the faith. He challenged the cannon of scripture and broke his oaths he made in becoming a priest.

A priest after being consecrated gains his faculties to administer the sacraments by his Bishop. It is fair to say Luther lost those faculties the moment he was excommunicated. So subsequently he was unable to pass along any apostolic authority or gifts to any of his followers. I would not be able to trust that beyond baptism that they can offer any of the other the sacraments.
Zobel
AG
All three of those are RCC teachings not considered dogma in the East. Immaculate conception is outright rejected. The perpetual virginity of the Theotokos is definitely a teaching witnessed by icons and the fathers, but I don't think a person who doubts it would be barred from communion. And the Easy confesses she died - we celebrate her dormition, her falling asleep - and that she was taken bodily to heaven after. But again - are these matters to break communion? On our side, no. On the RCC side, yes. To their detriment I think.

////

I don't hold to consubstantiation or transubstantiation and I think trying to talk about the Eucharist in "whether this happened to the gifts" is super useful. It's very mechanistic and perhaps materialistic. It's not a magic spell that God authorizes people to do if you say the right words etc. The question to me is one of grace, and we always confess that the worthiness of the priest doesn't limit the grace of God. It's not

I also think the whole binary approach to the reformation is overly simple. Luther, in my opinion, was in error on many things. His pride lead to a horrible schism. He violated his monastic oaths and encouraged others to do the same. I think he taught errors and dangerous ideas and led others to do the same. Whether he was right or not in certain things doesn't justify schism.
Jabin
Quote:

Whether he was right or not in certain things doesn't justify schism.
Wasn't it actually the RCC that created the schism, not Luther (for all his faults)? After all, didn't the RCC absolutely reject the criticisms from Luther and others of its clear problems, and excommunicated Luther for refusing to withdraw his criticisms of those faults? Or is that too simplistic?
jrico2727
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

Wasn't it actually the RCC that created the schism, not Luther (for all his faults)? After all, didn't the RCC absolutely reject the criticisms from Luther and others of its clear problems, and excommunicated Luther for refusing to withdraw his criticisms of those faults? Or is that too simplistic?

Matthew 18:17
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church.* If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

In his criticism of the faith, not the corruption, he was in error. After the Church responded to his thesis, he didn't submit to the authority of the Church, as he previously started he would. Once he refused to stop teaching error, he then left the church no other recourse than to excommunicate him. This is usually a mercy and meant to help them see their error and correct their actions, to restore full communion. Instead of allowing himself to be humbled he decided to cause a full revoult that he was unable to contain.
Zobel
AG
Too simplistic, maybe? But even so, even if the church authorities err schism isn't the answer. The life of St Maximos is what I would say is an example of the right.

https://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2010/01/life-of-st-maximus-confessor.html?m=1
Jabin
Which of the 95 theses do you believe were in error? For which ones was Luther excommunicated?

ETA: And what is a Christian supposed to do if it is the Church itself that is in sin and error?
Jabin
But wasn't it the Church that created the schism, not Luther? It was the Church that took the step of excommunicating Luther, which was the act of schism.

And most everyone now agrees that Luther's criticisms of the Church were valid. So Luther should have recanted from the truth in order to prevent a Church which, at that time, was corrupt to the core, from excommunicating him?
Catag94
AG
jrico2727 said:

Jabin said:

Quote:

If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church.* If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

In his criticism of the faith, not the corruption, he was in error. After the Church responded to his thesis, he didn't submit to the authority of the Church, as he previously started he would. Once he refused to stop teaching error, he then left the church no other recourse than to excommunicate him. This is usually a mercy and meant to help them see their error and correct their actions, to restore full communion. Instead of allowing himself to be humbled he decided to cause a full revoult that he was unable to contain.

What responsibility would you place in the bishops and pope to examine and humble themselves and at least meet Martin Luther on the grounds that their corruption of the church should cease?
Zobel
AG
No. Schism is caused by standing up an alternative. If the church excommunicates you in error, God will be the judge. But both you and catag are kinda framing it wrong. Luther wasn't excommunicated for his 95 theses or for calling out the corruption. He was excommunicated later for not recanting some specific theological positions / writings. And more broadly he was excommunicated because he openly revolted against the church.

I'm not defending the RCC or Luther for what it's worth. It's like watching your neighbors fight and you don't agree with either party. The whole theological framework of merit and the background of indulgences and papal supremacy are foreign to orthodoxy.
jrico2727
AG
Catag94 said:

jrico2727 said:

Jabin said:

Quote:

What responsibility would you place in the bishops and pope to examine and humble themselves and at least meet Martin Luther on the grounds that their corruption of the church should cease?

I would put 100% responsibility on the Pope and Bishops to address corruption in the Church at that time and all times. At this time they did address it, in the Council of Trent.
Catag94
AG
jrico2727 said:

I would put 100% responsibility on the Pope and Bishops to address corruption in the Church at that time and all times. At this time they did address it, in the Council of Trent.

The council of Trent was over two decades after the excommunication of Luther. I just asked because it seemed to me there was some opportunity to avoid the excommunication/ Schism and following Christs teachings, both party's should have been able to reach an understanding. That's all. After all and as you know, even Paul had to rebuke Peter for his actions in Antioch.

And perhaps I'm framing it wrong and even not nearly as educated on the subject, but if Martin Luther's teachings were consistent with the Gospel of Christ, the Apostolic authority the RCC believes was given to Peter and then passed on eventually Martin Luther, just might not be as easily stripped from Martin Luther by them as the RCC thinks. That's my bigger point. If this were to be the case, then one must conclude that the Eucharist likely continued with Luther and the faithful (to Christ) who followed. .

Sometimes, it seems the RCC believes it self to be more righteous, powerful, and authoritative than Christ might see it. Sometimes it resembles the Pharisees of The Gospels.
Zobel
AG
It's not a black and white issue.

Was there problems with indulgences? Yes.
Was there corruption? Yes.
Did that give Luther license for some of his other teachings (on grace, salvation, against councils, the euchsrist etc)? No.

One abuse doesn't excuse another.

One of the biggest indictments to me is that frequently Luther and his contemporaries appealed to the Orthodox to justify their positions on several topics. Later after Luther's death they came to find that on much of their teaching they were at odds with both Rome and Constantinople. They rejected Constantinople just as they had Rome. That's a problem.

The legacy of the reformation is a shattering of western Christendom. That's not solely at Luther's feet, but he definitely played a major role.
Jabin
Quote:

The legacy of the reformation is a shattering of western Christendom. That's not solely at Luther's feet, but he definitely played a major role.
The word "corruption" doesn't do justice to the evil that permeated the RCC at that time. The modern usage of corruption implies only some sort of financial dishonesty. As we know, the RCC was deeply depraved from the top down. The RCC hierarchy, at that time, had completely forsaken Christ.

That depravity coupled with the RCC's intransigence against reform made it inevitable that western Christendom would shatter. If not Luther, it would have been someone else. Luther was simply the spark that lit an already laid bonfire. And the evidence is the alacrity with which the shattering occurred and its widespread acceptance by all levels of northern European society. It seems that placing the blame on Luther is completely wrong; the blame lies almost entirely on the RCC of that day.

And I suspect that you would leave your particular congregation if your priest was involved in the type of heinous behavior that the RCC leadership was engaged in at the time of Luther. You might not leave your church, but I hope that you would leave your congregation. But that limited option was not available to Luther.

Finally, rather than re-litigating the spiritual wars of the past, it seems that we should be seeking unity now. However, it seems that both the RCC and Orthodox are unwilling to permit unity unless everyone else concedes on all points. In other words, it is the RCC and Orthodox that are perpetuating dis-unity. I would gladly worship with any of you guys and call you brother, but it seems that you would refuse to worship with me.
Zobel
AG
Not interested in litigating the reformation. In my opinion the spiritual decay of the west was a result of the great schism. No party of the western reformation was Orthodox. In different ways they're all wrong. That's why you'll hear Orthodox people say in some ways evangelicals are closer to the RCC than they are to Orthodoxy. Evangelicals boggle at that, but it's true.

As for unity…Your definition of worship is not mine. You are an evangelical so we don't share beliefs in baptism or the Eucharist. We aren't of the same faith, by St Paul's definition. I've said several times on this forum that evangelicals and Orthodox are a different religion. People get upset about that, but I stand by it. No unbiased third party would come to my church and yours and think they're the same religion. We live out the faith in completely different ways - praxis and confession. You say you're willing to worship with us, but that means you're willing to do what you call worship on your terms with us. You're not willing to do what I call worship. And there is the impasse.

Christian irenics should begin with understanding. You probably don't know very much about orthodoxy, much less understand it. So how do you know if you're willing to concede, when you probably don't know what the points to concede are?
Zobel
AG
Let me put it another way. Would you consider yourself theologically united with Mormons? If not, are you perpetuating disunity?

How do you draw the lines, and how do you justify what is orthodoxy and heterodoxy or heresy? Simply saying my opinion vs yours is a non starter. So provide justification for who separated from whom, and we can start there.
Jabin
It seems that the difference is that my faith is based with a focus exclusively on Christ. Yours is Christ with the added burden of the "Fathers" and Orthodox teachings. I disagree with you on the importance of the "Fathers" and Orthodox teachings, but you worship the same Christ that I do, I think.

We may differ on the Eucharist and Baptism (I'll take your word on that), but I see nothing in Christ's teachings that 1) differs from what I believe on those topics, or 2) makes them a litmus test between his followers and non-followers. Like the ancient Jews, the Orthodox seem to have added to Christ's message and the message of the Apostles.

Mormons have changed Christ so much that he is no longer the Christ of the Bible.

You're a smart guy, but nothing you've posted in the past has been particularly persuasive why the Orthodox versions of the Eucharist and Baptism are indispensable to being classified as a Christ-follower.
Zobel
AG
I was raised in a southern baptist church and have attended many. I can tell you with complete and utter certainty that orthodoxy is more fundamentally christocentric as a faith than the baptists are. Nothing and I mean nothing in the fathers or tradition of the church in any way detract from that. You're operating from a misunderstanding about how the fathers and tradition inform our practice.

How can you argue what the differences are and whether they're relevant or not when you readily admit you don't know what they even are?

How can you say we've added when you don't know what the teaching is?

The truth is evangelicals have jettisoned so much of the faith because of a concerted spiritual minimalist approach that they no longer have a religion that resembles the faith of the apostles. What you call addition is actually original.

Here's why baptism and the Eucharist are the litmus test. Because they are spoken of this way by St Paul, and because they are the fullness of circumcision and Passover. Happy to discuss it it further, if you want to start another thread on that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.