Science Board: Pig Heart Transplanted into Man

2,742 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGC said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm going to combine two tangents and note that many Native American cultures had much more gender fluidity than western Europeans. The Lakota had male, female, and winkte which was people that didn't fit into either. Crazy Horse was supposedly a winkte, in that he was a man who was a warrior, but he also would wear women's clothes at times and speak the language as a woman would, at least according to Daniele Bolelli's podcast on the subject.

Did the horse consent?

It kept voting nay, so we ignored it's consent.
nortex97
AG
Quad Dog said:

AGC said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm going to combine two tangents and note that many Native American cultures had much more gender fluidity than western Europeans. The Lakota had male, female, and winkte which was people that didn't fit into either. Crazy Horse was supposedly a winkte, in that he was a man who was a warrior, but he also would wear women's clothes at times and speak the language as a woman would, at least according to Daniele Bolelli's podcast on the subject.

Did the horse consent?

Very mohammedish. As long as it wasn't later consumed by the Lakota.
Aggrad08
AG
AGC said:

Aggrad08 said:

AGC said:

Aggrad08 said:

AGC said:

Aggrad08 said:

So given the choice between pig heart and death you think death is preferable because the pork pumper will damage your soul?

A gross misrepresentation of my comment.
You seemed to indicate there was something sacred or holy about a human body that was violated in this process and I inferred you thought it inappropriate. What exactly are you claiming?

No. I indicated that I believe the spiritual and physical are connected and the connection is meaningful and purposeful rather than incidental; it is a whole, not a unit with pre-engineered modules that one inserts or assembles.

For that reason the idea of introducing animal organs is not appealing. The body impacts the mind and vice versa. A pig heart doesn't have a spiritual aspect to you. I think all things do, they incline us towards God or away from Him. Does it literally damage my soul? No, but I think it disorders it and inclines it away from God. Think of it like accounting fraud in Office Space. It starts with a small move but it becomes larger and larger.

It is not a preference of death but a preference of wholeness and holiness.

Wait that's your gross misrepresentation? All you did is chang damage to disordered? And whether your prefer a "wholeness of soul" (the opposite sure sounds like damage to me) more than life or prefer death over a souls that's less than whole mean the same thing.

It still sounds like given the choice a pig pumper is worse than letting your own heart kill you.

This idea seems particularly silly. There are an absurd number of bacteria in and on you required for healthy functions, do they disorder you as a soul? Does cancer? Do bone graphs? What about liver transplant from another person? What if the other person is a different sex?

I don't break everything down to the smallest possible unit to analyze; I don't think it's an appropriate spiritual view of humanity. That's why I don't struggle with whether abortion is a moral evil or not. There is no requisite number of cells or appropriate bodily function necessary to be human.

Your inquiry is a methodical one based on the purpose of continuing to live. I view how you live and how the process changes you as equally important. Is my purpose on earth to use everything at my disposal to live or to image it, to order it for God? Is there good in gene editing animals simply to extend my life with no regard for theirs?

You didn't answer any of the questions though. I understand your perspective that the body and soul are linked, and that how this relationship glorifies god is very important to you. But given that baseline I still don't see how your answers to my questions are obvious. Could you answer those? I think this entire treatment only works with a view of biology that is simply out of date.

Taken to an extreme this could deny any medical treatment which I doubt you believe (some do).

With regard to the consent of the pig, are you a vegetarian? For my part I would eat the pig for survival gladly, and frankly I willingly eat the pig knowing it will shorten my lifespan as opposed to some alternatives.

I don't think the animal should suffer, or be kept in cruel conditions, but I'm pretty ok with bacon regardless of what the Jewish or Muslim god thinks.
AGC
AG
Quad Dog said:

AGC said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Did the horse consent?

Sapper Redux
Apparently the guy who got the transplant once stabbed and paralyzed a man who was talking to his wife. In his case, maybe the pig heart will improve his soul.
m11green
you win this thread!
ramblin_ag02
AG
If the American people had a spirit animal, it would definitely be a pig
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.