Bonhoeffer's Theory of Stupidity

4,843 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://sproutsschools.com/bonhoeffers-theory-of-stupidity/

I found this fascinating. According to this theory, stupidity is not an intellectual problem but a moral problem. People reject logic, reason and facts in favor of groupthink and confirming their own biases. Also, it seems to be less frequently found with greater amounts of individualism and more frequently associated with collectives. Finally, he considers the stupid more dangerous than the evil, because evil people can be contained. Stupidity can't, and otherwise normal people can commit serious harms without realizing it.

It should be noted that he formulated this in Germany between the two world wars and died opposing the Nazis. So his street cred is pretty good too
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Quad Dog
AG
Meanwhile everyone is thinking of groups they don't belong to that are examples of this. Of course their own group avoids this somehow.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I agree, and I think the answer according to this theory is individualism and self-reflection. The more you are tied up in a group, the more you abandon personal responsibility for your actions, morals and thoughts. You unquestionably adopt the actions, morals, and thoughts of the group, even when they are internally inconsistent or inconsistent with your own prior personality. This abandonment is what stupidity is.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
"Only an act of liberation, not instruction, can overcome stupidity. Here we must come to terms with the fact that in most cases a genuine internal liberation becomes possible only when external liberation has preceded it. Until then, we must abandon all attempts to convince the stupid person."

This part I agree with completely
Quad Dog
AG
Aggrad08 said:

"Only an act of liberation, not instruction, can overcome stupidity. Here we must come to terms with the fact that in most cases a genuine internal liberation becomes possible only when external liberation has preceded it. Until then, we must abandon all attempts to convince the stupid person."

This part I agree with completely

Good quote. What are some ways to achieve external liberation?
nortex97
AG
Good thread.

Quote:

Facts that contradict a stupid person's prejudgment simply need not be believed and when they are irrefutable, they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this, the stupid person is self-satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack.
I'm immediately struck by the epistemic closure discussions/group think we have around policies/beliefs such as 'islam is peaceful' 'global warming is an imminent threat' 'vaccine mandates' 'black lives matter' 'glbtq marriage is good' movements etc. Stupidity was absolutely on display @ SCOTUS just yesterday.

Anyway, he, and Barth, are fascinating figures alike. While I don't respect pacifism in general, I do think some exceptions are in fact quite brave figures. From wikipedia;

Quote:

Central to Bonhoeffer's theology is Christ, in whom God and the world are reconciled. Bonhoeffer's God is a suffering God, whose manifestation is found in this-worldliness. Bonhoeffer believed that the Incarnation of God in flesh made it unacceptable to speak of God and the world "in terms of two spheres"an implicit attack upon Luther's doctrine of the two kingdoms. Bonhoeffer stressed personal and collective piety and revived the idea of imitation of Christ. He argued that Christians should not retreat from the world but act within it. He believed that two elements were constitutive of faith: the implementation of justice and the acceptance of divine suffering. Bonhoeffer insisted that the church, like the Christians, "had to share in the sufferings of God at the hands of a godless world" if it were to be a true church of Christ.

In his prison letters, Bonhoeffer raised tantalizing questions about the role of Christianity and the church in a "world come of age," where human beings no longer need a metaphysical God as a stop-gap to human limitations; and mused about the emergence of a "religionless Christianity," where God would be unclouded from metaphysical constructs of the previous 1900 years. Influenced by Barth's distinction between faith and religion, Bonhoeffer had a critical view of the phenomenon of religion and asserted that revelation abolished religion, which he called the "garment" of faith. Having witnessed the complete failure of the German Protestant church as an institution in the face of Nazism, he saw this challenge as an opportunity of renewal for Christianity.

Years after Bonhoeffer's death, some Protestant thinkers developed his critique into a thoroughgoing attack against traditional Christianity in the "Death of God" movement, which briefly attracted the attention of the mainstream culture in the mid-1960s. However, some criticssuch as Jacques Ellul and othershave charged that those radical interpretations of Bonhoeffer's insights amount to a grave distortion, that Bonhoeffer did not mean to say that God no longer had anything to do with humanity and had become a mere cultural artifact. More recent Bonhoeffer interpretation is more cautious in this regard, respecting the parameters of the neo-orthodox school to which he belonged.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

I'm immediately struck by the epistemic closure discussions/group think we have around policies/beliefs such as 'islam is peaceful' 'global warming is an imminent threat' 'vaccine mandates' 'black lives matter' 'glbtq marriage is good' movements etc. Stupidity was absolutely on display @ SCOTUS just yesterday.

Interesting because the idea that 'Islam is inherently violent, global warming is fake, all lives matter, antivax, and LGBTQ marriage is bad' are also all examples of this idea too.
I think opposing ideas on a topic both can be guilty of this group think stupidity. The trick is to realize it and accept that all groups can be a little bit wrong and a little bit right. If you can't see that your group is a little bit wrong and that an opposing group is a little bit right, then I think we know what you are guilty of.
Zobel
AG
The difference is between people who seek to defend their beliefs vs people who seek to inform them. I read a decent book recently called scout mindset that talked about this.

Most people have a soldier mindset. They defend their ideas and groups and tie their identities to them. You can cultivate a scout mindset, tying your identity to seeking truth. Scouts make mental "maps" of the world, and when you discovery a contradictory "feature" that's a success - it improves your map - not a failure.

In Bonhoeffer's regime scouts are smart, soldiers are stupid. But this isn't fair because we all are soldiers sometimes. Being a scout in my experience takes concerted effort.
Sapper Redux
ramblin_ag02 said:

https://sproutsschools.com/bonhoeffers-theory-of-stupidity/

I found this fascinating. According to this theory, stupidity is not an intellectual problem but a moral problem. People reject logic, reason and facts in favor of groupthink and confirming their own biases. Also, it seems to be less frequently found with greater amounts of individualism and more frequently associated with collectives. Finally, he considers the stupid more dangerous than the evil, because evil people can be contained. Stupidity can't, and otherwise normal people can commit serious harms without realizing it.

It should be noted that he formulated this in Germany between the two world wars and died opposing the Nazis. So his street cred is pretty good too

This feels a bit like begging the question.

More broadly, the ability and extent of people's capacity for questioning beliefs outside of their conditioning relies heavily on intelligence. That's how we end up with people who talk about how much of an individual they are while parroting one side's talking points.
Aggrad08
AG
I don't think it's as reliant on intelligence as we hope. You can find above average IQs believing some demonstrably stupid stuff. Flat earth, moon landing, YEC, bush did 911, Qanon all have people sucked in that are of at least reasonable intelligence. And these are the extreme stupid groups. What about Democrats and Republicans, Christians and Muslims and Mormons and Jews and atheists….

Stupid group think is its own phenomenon. I also think it's part of the struggle of education teaching people to be told the answer and remember it rather than to rediscover and understand the answer with the help of others who came before. I see this with the PhD and masters engineering grads I have to teach right out of school. I'm sure its worse with the bachelors.

I agree high intelligence can help you divorce yourself from the wrong mindsets. But it isn't required nor is it a safeguard.
Serotonin
AG
There are a bunch of smart people in this thread; have any of you read anything on mimetic theory?

I haven't, but I'd like to learn more about it. I think the gist is that we form our desires and beliefs through imitation based on the perceived desires and beliefs of others around us.

So the question becomes how to step outside of a societal mania or craze like Naziism. The fact is that 95% of people went along with it. How do you ensure that you're in the 5% and not the 95%?
Ulrich
I've tried to develop three habits. One is that if consensus forms on something previously in doubt, I assume it is wrong or at least incomplete. The second is that I'll reject statements of what to think (Islam is violent/peaceful) and go look for facts (followers of Islam commit violent acts more/less frequently than a relevant base rate).

Since both of those are hard, the third is to think in probabilistic terms where the less research I've done the less certain I'm allowed to be. Often I think people get that relationship backwards… it's a lot easier to be certain when you are unaware of the nuances and contradictions.

A fourth that I wish I was better at is actively forming the counterarguments to my own positions. Being a natural devils advocate helps with this, as does consuming material by people with opposing beliefs, but it's not quite the same.
Zobel
AG
Bayesian mindset is super helpful.
Sapper Redux
Aggrad08 said:

I don't think it's as reliant on intelligence as we hope. You can find above average IQs believing some demonstrably stupid stuff. Flat earth, moon landing, YEC, bush did 911, Qanon all have people sucked in that are of at least reasonable intelligence. And these are the extreme stupid groups. What about Democrats and Republicans, Christians and Muslims and Mormons and Jews and atheists….

Stupid group think is its own phenomenon. I also think it's part of the struggle of education teaching people to be told the answer and remember it rather than to rediscover and understand the answer with the help of others who came before. I see this with the PhD and masters engineering grads I have to teach right out of school. I'm sure its worse with the bachelors.

I agree high intelligence can help you divorce yourself from the wrong mindsets. But it isn't required nor is it a safeguard.

All true, and good things to consider. I just find the idea that right thinking can break a bad cycle is perhaps giving too much credit to the human mind. We are evolved with certain predispositions, and group selection and cohesion is one of those. I see "individualism" as less a cure for groupthink than just a variant on it, in which the victims of social failure or social structures are blamed for their failure rather than it being pinned on race or creed. Bonhoeffer is an interesting figure to work these issues through.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Since both of those are hard, the third is to think in probabilistic terms where the less research I've done the less certain I'm allowed to be. Often I think people get that relationship backwards… it's a lot easier to be certain when you are unaware of the nuances and contradictions.

This is basically Dunning-Kruger.
Zobel
AG
You should dig into that study sometime. It's pretty bad.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking/dunning-kruger-effect-probably-not-real
Ulrich
I think there's a kernel of truth to Dunning Kruger but the formulation seems much too strong.

As far as intelligence, it's a tool you can use to question things but it's also a tool that can be used to build up a case to confirm your beliefs, and knowing that you're intelligent can lead to arrogance. I've not noticed that intelligent people are much better than average people at matching confidence level to knowledge level.

The relevant factors seem to be more like introspection, humility, and self-confidence.
Serotonin
AG
Zobel said:

You should dig into that study sometime. It's pretty bad.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking/dunning-kruger-effect-probably-not-real
Maybe the study is bad but the effect does seem to be rampant out in the wild.
Quad Dog
AG
Maybe the author of that just needs to do more research on it...or I do, but wouldn't that prove it correct?
So by doing a bunch of research and disproving Dunning-Kruger, would you also be proving it true?
Ulrich
Zobel said:

Bayesian mindset is super helpful.

If you can combine Bayes with transferring your identity away from your opinions, that's helpful.
Zobel
AG
Assigning confidence to knowledge is a skill. Takes practice. It's far too tempting to be binary (I know this is/isn't true). Much more difficult to differentiate between 65% and 85% confidence.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quad Dog said:

Maybe the author of that just needs to do more research on it...or I do, but wouldn't that prove it correct?
So by doing a bunch of research and disproving Dunning-Kruger, would you also be proving it true?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think the pattern goes like this

1) my group probably usually right and not-our-group is probably usually wrong
2) my group is probably always right and not-our-group is probably always wrong
3) my group is always right and not-our-group is always wrong
4) my group is always right and not-our-group is always evil
5) my group is human and not-our-group is subhuman, evil, and needs to be destroyed

If we identify ourselves and others as individuals and not by our groups, then that stops the slide into stupidity. I think self-criticism, humility and grace would also be viable paths to avoid it

So now that I type that, it seems in this construct certainty and stupidity are directly correlated. More certainly equals more stupidity. Socrates would approve
Sapper Redux
Quote:

More certainly equals more stupidity

By the working definition of stupidity being used here, I don't disagree.
BluHorseShu
AG
nortex97 said:

Good thread.

Quote:

Facts that contradict a stupid person's prejudgment simply need not be believed and when they are irrefutable, they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this, the stupid person is self-satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack.

Anyway, he, and Barth, are fascinating figures alike. While I don't respect pacifism in general, I do think some exceptions are in fact quite brave figures. From wikipedia;

Quote:

Central to Bonhoeffer's theology is Christ, in whom God and the world are reconciled. Bonhoeffer's God is a suffering God, whose manifestation is found in this-worldliness. Bonhoeffer believed that the Incarnation of God in flesh made it unacceptable to speak of God and the world "in terms of two spheres"an implicit attack upon Luther's doctrine of the two kingdoms. Bonhoeffer stressed personal and collective piety and revived the idea of imitation of Christ. He argued that Christians should not retreat from the world but act within it. He believed that two elements were constitutive of faith: the implementation of justice and the acceptance of divine suffering. Bonhoeffer insisted that the church, like the Christians, "had to share in the sufferings of God at the hands of a godless world" if it were to be a true church of Christ.

In his prison letters, Bonhoeffer raised tantalizing questions about the role of Christianity and the church in a "world come of age," where human beings no longer need a metaphysical God as a stop-gap to human limitations; and mused about the emergence of a "religionless Christianity," where God would be unclouded from metaphysical constructs of the previous 1900 years. Influenced by Barth's distinction between faith and religion, Bonhoeffer had a critical view of the phenomenon of religion and asserted that revelation abolished religion, which he called the "garment" of faith. Having witnessed the complete failure of the German Protestant church as an institution in the face of Nazism, he saw this challenge as an opportunity of renewal for Christianity.

Years after Bonhoeffer's death, some Protestant thinkers developed his critique into a thoroughgoing attack against traditional Christianity in the "Death of God" movement, which briefly attracted the attention of the mainstream culture in the mid-1960s. However, some criticssuch as Jacques Ellul and othershave charged that those radical interpretations of Bonhoeffer's insights amount to a grave distortion, that Bonhoeffer did not mean to say that God no longer had anything to do with humanity and had become a mere cultural artifact. More recent Bonhoeffer interpretation is more cautious in this regard, respecting the parameters of the neo-orthodox school to which he belonged.

The same stupidity/group think exists in those policies/beliefs at the opposing end of the spectrum. F16 is a great example on TA of group think. But as also noted previously, every group believes there's is the exception. That's a subtle but impactful side effect of being involved in discussion forums that predominantly agree with one's beliefs, more so with politics. Religion maybe not as much
Jabin
The evils of groupthink and the stupidity to which it leads are problems associated not just with religion and politics but also in every day life. Corporate and business environments are susceptible to stupid groupthink, government as well, and boards often succumb to it.

It is very difficult to even notice it occurring, and when one does notice that it is occurring, there is a tendency to self doubt on the basis that everyone else can't be wrong.
nortex97
AG
This place has it's own flavor of group think, as illustrated by the number of replies in this thread bitterly referencing F16. It's ok, I come here partly just to gather what 'some' are saying/feeling/thinking.
GQaggie
AG
I am pretty conservative. Begrudgingly, I voted Trump in both of the last two elections because I thought he was better than the alternative. (It's sad when I wouldn't trust either candidate for president to babysit my kids for a few hours). On pretty much all litmus test issues, I am going to come down in the conservative side. Despite all that, F16 is an absolute cesspool. The amount of vitriol spewed there is a far cry from representing Christ, and it is not a group that should be admired or emulated.
Frok
AG
Seems the consensus is that Forum 16 is a cesspool……

Or is that just the groupthink stupidity talking
Zobel
AG
Consensus and groupthink aren't the same thing.

What's interesting is that you have a wide range of people here - politically and religiously - who seem to agree on the subject of F16. It's actually probably the only topic on this forum where there is broad consensus.
nortex97
AG
Zobel said:

Consensus and groupthink aren't the same thing.

What's interesting is that you have a wide range of people here - politically and religiously - who seem to agree on the subject of F16. It's actually probably the only topic on this forum where there is broad consensus.
Maybe, but a lot of that consensus is among people who have been…rejected on F16 quite a bit, apparently, and I think that drives some of the irrational dislike/hatred of the other forum. The need to snidely refer, without any kind of factual/real argumentative reference to the vile/evil nature of F16, is evidence not of a consensus, but something else, imho. Which is fine, but it illustrates to me a lot of the 'mass psychosis' here in response to/relating to f16, as once more demonstrated by this very thread (and responses since my own last one).

Quote:

Quote:

The term gained attention after it was floated by Dr. Robert Malone on "The Joe Rogan Experience" Dec. 31 podcast. Malone is a scientist who once researched mRNA technology but is now a vocal skeptic of the COVID-19 vaccines that use it.

But psychology experts say the concept described by Malone is not supported by evidence, and is similar to theories that have long been discredited. Here's a look at the facts…
…Psychology experts say there is no support for the "psychosis" theory described by Malone.

"To my knowledge, there's no evidence whatsoever for this concept," said Jay Van Bavel, an assistant professor of psychology and neural science at New York University who recently co-authored a book on group identities. Van Bavel said he had never encountered the phrase "mass formation psychosis" in his years of research, nor could he find it in any peer-reviewed literature.
The AP couldn't be missing the point harder if they tried. The idea behind mass formation psychosis is not that people are literally hypnotized, i.e., as you'd see in the movies where someone crows like a rooster and stops smoking. Rather, it's a way to express the collective irrationality being shown by millions of people who will literally do anything to try to "stop the spread," no matter how ineffective the measures being promoted are.

For example, despite all the data showing that the vaccines don't work to stop the spread of COVID-19, people still push policies like vaccine passports and vaccine mandates as not only physically necessary but morally necessary as well. Those who hang on Dr. Anthony Fauci's every word do so under the delusion that whatever the "experts" say must be abided by in order to avoid catastrophe. That's how you end up with a Houston area teacher locking a child in the trunk of a car because he supposedly needed to be "quarantined."

Those types of irrationalities are what drive the idea of a widespread psychosis formulated by the largely baseless fear-mongering of the expert class and that's what makes the AP's "fact-check" so ironic.
They are claiming that there aren't millions of Americans blindly accepting the dictates of a tiny class of over-credentialed figures, yet they try to prove that case by demanding you be dictated to by a tiny class of over-credentialed figures they cite. I couldn't think of a better way to not prove their point than that.

In short, people can quibble over the semantics of clinical diagnoses. Yet, there is no doubt that a huge number of Americans (and people all over the world) are no longer able to make rational risk assessments because their leaders have refused to be honest with them. Instead, the thirst for power and a desire to avoid political responsibility for failure has overtaken all. So the AP can call that phenomenon whatever they'd like, but it's absolutely a real problem, and it's one that a nation like the United States is going to have to figure out a way to solve before our society dives off the cliff.
Stupidity, or 'mass psychosis' are just quibbling over terminology, in this case, imho. A veneer of philosophical sophistication is all that Bonhoeffer's terminology/history really is, vs. calling it something else. I certainly believe there is even more 'groupthink' or psychosis or stupidity, however one might wish to label it, on the covid forum, which is as intolerant of dissent as anything on TA.
Zobel
AG
I have posted "dissenting" articles on the COVID forum and never once have been banned or deleted. The reason people get banned from there isn't because of groupthink, it's because they don't read the very simple rules - it's not a place for political discussion or speculation. It's a place to share reliable information. Even then, a good deal of discussion and "dissent" happens on there.

It is nearly impossible to have a discussion on F16 that strays from its own self selected view. You absolutely will get shouted down, called a lib, be accused of wanting mandates etc. i was called a lib and a Biden supporter for having the crazy opinion that dictatorships are bad. Wild, I know, I'm such a rabid left winger. The biggest problem is everything is binary on that forum, and nothing is binary in real life. The other problem is that people on there forum are, I suspect, of a certain age and have a tendency to be vulnerable to fake news and conspiracy theories (see the Q thread for example). It usually takes a while before clickbait or fake news headlines are even questioned. When they are, the thread dies, but it doesn't prevent the same type of stupid fake news thread from being posted again the next day.

I figured out a while ago that people there aren't interested in actual "scout" mindset discussions - improving their position. It's very much an entertainment forum, for aggressive agreeing and snarky one liners. There is no substantive discussion or nuance on most of the topics. On occasion you get a decent one, usually on economics (because there is more variance there in views even among the regulars, especially on populism vs more laissez faire capitalism) but that's the exception.

Here you get a pretty decent of amount of actual discussion and disagreement. Probably because here the default position isn't "people who agree with me have a mental illness". This forum also does a better job at self moderating, including calling out people we substantively agree with for insults or ad hom arguments. That's probably at least in part because it's a smaller and more tight knit community.
Zobel
AG
Oh and there is I think an ongoing high degree of involvement of MfBarnes on f16 - and occasionally on this forum. Doesn't help.

Also wanted to add. It's gotten much much much worse since Q and COVID.
Sapper Redux
I began posting there hoping to have my opinions challenged and debated. I was much more conservative when I started and have drifted away from that the more I researched and evolved. F16 used to be bad but manageable. You could have a loud, but still interesting, debate. There's no good intellectual debating going on there anymore, which is too bad. I don't see how holding that opinion in general is a sign of a separate "mass psychosis." I'm fairly sure that opinion is shared across forums, not just this one.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Oh and there is I think an ongoing high degree of involvement of MfBarnes on f16 - and occasionally on this forum. Doesn't help.

Also wanted to add. It's gotten much much much worse since Q and COVID.

Like the actual MfBarnes? Or do you mean people pretending to be that which they are not? Neither would surprise me.

I will say there was an interesting moment before the 2016 election where the conservatives broke into competing camps over Trump. The more traditional conservatives lost and have either joined the group or I don't see them post. The Q stuff caught me by surprise, but that thread was beyond crazy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.