Holy Mary - Conceived Without Sin

4,841 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Faithful Ag
Faithful Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

Quote:

M1Buckeye said:
The Catholic Church teaches that the blessed Mary is without sin. Is there a Biblical reference for this teaching?

Faithful Ag said:
I am glad you chose this doctrine to discuss. Yes. I will present the doctrine of Mary being without sin including the Biblical support.

I am very busy today with work today so please bear with me on my response time. I will spend some time on this tonight and I look forward to engaging with you on this specific doctrine. Thanks!

-
Bringing this to a new thread to keep it on topic:

TLDR: The Catholic doctrine on the sinlessness of the Blessed Virgin Mary, THE Woman, our Theotokos, the mother of Jesus Christ is found woven throughout the OT and NT Bible. You just need to know where and how to look for her, which might be difficult based on your tradition of interpretation. She is everywhere and it is beautiful and everything about her magnifies the Lord and helps us to know and understand Jesus Christ more fully.
-

As Catholics, we approach the Bible through the eyes of the Church and through a lens of typology. There is a great deal of Christian truth and theology that is not explicitly seen with a Biblical proof-text, but is still supported Scripturally (and historically). Typology is basically the idea that the New is foreshadowed in the Old, and the Old is revealed in the New. For example, Adam was an Old Testament prefigurement that points us toward Jesus, and Jesus is revealed as the New Adam in the NT. Some NT Types are more clear than others, and in fact several references in the NT confirm that Jesus is indeed the New Adam. The one key to remember in Biblical typology is that the NT Fulfillment is always greater than the OT prefigurement.

Typology is not limited only to Jesus or to people. Other examples of types would include circumcision, Noah and the Flood, Moses and the parting of the Sea, and Joshua crossing the Jordan River, etc. as types of Baptism. Melchizedek, The Passover, Manna, Bread of the Presence, etc. are OT types of the Eucharist.

There are many types of Mary throughout the OT and I cannot go into all of them. There are a few types of Mary that are more obvious and identifiable than some of the more subtle prefigurements so I would like to focus on those. I will start with two of them: Mary the New Eve (or The Woman), and Mary the New Arc of the Covenant.

THE WOMAN
Going back to Genesis you will see that Eve is referred to as simply Woman. Eve was created without sin and was taken from the side/flesh of Adam to be his helper. "Bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh" so where Eve took on flesh from Adam, God Incarnate takes on His humanity or flesh from Mary. Keep reading in Genesis and you quickly come to the fall. There is far too much to cover here, but a couple of important points. Adam & Eve fell into sin and disobedience together. Adam quickly blamed God for the Woman He gave her (and threw Eve under the bus). God then punishes the serpent and does a number of things that relate to Mary's sinlessness:

1. "I will put enmity between you and the Woman," -note that enmity is placing the woman in opposition to, or completely against the devil. In order to have enmity between evil and the woman the woman must not know sin. Who is the woman in this verse? It obviously cannot be Eve, and it is the Catholic belief that the woman here is speaking specifically about Mary.

2. "And between your seed and HER seed;" -women typically do not have "seed" but understanding the woman would provide her own seed (virgin birth) this makes a little more since. Also note that the same enmity placed between the woman and the devil is also placed between her seed and the devil. Her seed is Jesus Christ who we know for a fact was without sin. They were in this together so to speak.

3. "He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel." -Foreshadowing of the cosmic battle described by John in the Apocalypse.

4. After the fall and the above, Adam named his wife Eve (No longer Woman) and following being banished from the garden he knew his wife and she conceived.

There is much, much more here but I think this is enough for now on Genesis.

Now with Genesis as our backdrop lets take a look at the Gospel of John, which is clearly what John wanted us to have in mind. 'In the beginning was the Word and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; The next day. The next day again. The next day. On the third day there was a marriage at Cana.' The parallels John creates between Genesis and the Gospel are not by mistake. Also, note the first thing Adam & Eve do when they are banished from the garden (conceive) compared to the first public miracle Jesus performs at his mother's request or intercession. Both have marriage undertones.

Jesus then says to her "Woman, what is this to you and to me? My hour has not yet come". This is far from a rebuke of Mary, but rather an indication of who Mary is - THE Woman. The one spoken about in Genesis. The one with enmity between her and the devil (sin). Mary's response was not one concerned with what Jesus had said to her or if he would take action but rather she tells the servants to do whatever he tells you. She trusted Jesus and helped others to do the same and to follow him.

Now fast forward to the foot of the cross. What is it that Jesus says and does with regard to his mother? He calls her "Woman", again not out of disrespect but because of who she is, Woman is her title in a sense. "Woman, behold your son! Behold your mother"

So I am going to have to save ""Mary, the Arc of the Covenant" for another night, but I hope "Mary the New Eve & The Woman" will be at least a start for helping to show some Biblical support for our beliefs on Mary. Are they crystal clear proof-texts? No. However the Biblical support is there and we are barely scratching the surface with this example although I think the enmity is a very strong point. I would be interested in others shedding light on their understanding of these passages.

Lastly, Mary was created and she needs her savior just like the rest of us. She is not Divine. The only difference is that God, who is not limited by anything including space and time, chose to preserve the mother of Jesus from the stain of sin. Furthermore Mary cooperated perfectly in her love and obedience for God. Her soul magnifies the Lord, and like Jesus she was full of grace.

ETA: We can also see Mary in The Apocalypse of John as the Arc of the Covenant and the Woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars who was with child and giving birth to Christ. I just don't have the energy left in me tonight but this continues the theme of THE WOMAN.

M1Buckeye
Thank you and GREAT post! Yes, clearly, the blessed mother can only have enmity if she is without sin. Thank you again!
dermdoc
AG
Great post! And I am not Catholic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
I always love the mirror between Eve and the Theotokos - Eve is Woman who becomes the mother of all after the fall. Mary is Woman and Mother with no fall, who becomes mother of all at the foot of the cross.
Spyderman
AG
Its my understanding that there was/is only ONE without sin.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
M1Buckeye
Spyderman said:

Its my understanding that there was/is only ONE without sin.

Mary seems like a no-brainer exception. The scripture cited in the OP is a slam dunk. Besides, does anyone actually think that God would have impregnated a sinful woman? I never did.
Faithful Ag
I think many Protestants misunderstand Catholic devotion to Mary because in general they approach the Bible from a proof-text tradition. Much of the scriptural support for Christian theology lies deeper beneath the surface like the sinlessness of Mary.

Due to this lack of a clear proof-text on the subject, and a few proof texts that might appear to contradict the doctrine, they have difficulty seeing it and in response have an over-reaction that leads them further from the truth - not closer to it.

Marian Doctrine is a perfect example. Protestants think Catholics worship Mary (we don't), and they end up treating Mary like just an ordinary woman that was easily replaceable by any other woman. God really just needed someone with a uterus, just a vessel. In reality, Mary was set apart from the very beginning and created and chosen for a truly holy and sacred purpose. We see this in Genesis, and in John, and Luke, and in Revelation, and throughout the OT and NT. Mary leads all of us to Christ because it was through Mary that the Word became flesh.

Faithful Ag
Another thought that just crossed my mind.

We blame the Woman, Eve, for the fall because she gave into the deception and temptations of the devil and thus sin entered the world. How fitting that we recognize that where Eve failed Mary succeeded. Mary was protected from sin in her immaculate conception, but Mary was still a human being with free will. She chose to live every second of her life in holiness and purity in perfect cooperation and love for God and because of that each of us can know her son, Jesus. This is why Mary is Blessed among women - because she is The Woman, our mother, and without her none of us would have access to Christ her son.

diehard03

Quote:

Besides, does anyone actually think that God would have impregnated a sinful woman? I never did.

I don't know. It seems like it fits right in in terms of Christ conquering sin. It makes perfect sense that Christ would be able to be sinless despite being born of a "sinful vessel".

(For me, this is not a hill to die on. Whether she was sinless or not is His sovereign right to make her as so...or not. But I don't believe it was somehow a requirement or anything. He makes the rules. He can do what He wants)
Faithful Ag
Except that Genesis tells us that God will put enmity between the devil/serpent/deceiver/sin and the WOMAN. In your view, who is this woman?
diehard03
Quote:

Marian Doctrine is a perfect example. Protestants think Catholics worship Mary (we don't), and they end up treating Mary like just an ordinary woman that was easily replaceable by any other woman. God really just needed someone with a uterus, just a vessel. In reality, Mary was set apart from the very beginning and created and chosen for a truly holy and sacred purpose. We see this in Genesis, and in John, and Luke, and in Revelation, and throughout the OT and NT. Mary leads all of us to Christ because it was through Mary that the Word became flesh.

No, it just looks like you do, from their perspective. Most of us are with you in terms of her having a sacred purpose and most of us could probably get on board with her being sinless. (for me, its rather unnecessary) Where you lose us is when it looks like you are trying to "backdoor" your way to Christ through her when it doesn't seem necessary to us. It's interesting that you reference the Gospel of John, as I would have expected her presence in the "I am" verses if she was leading us to Christ.

In any case, it's mostly a situation of going too far...and the Protestants make the mistake of overcorrecting.
Zobel
AG
I am fully onboard with the Marian typology of her as the New Eve. I don't know that it necessarily implies she was without sin. For me, this is a theologoumenon.
M1Buckeye
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Besides, does anyone actually think that God would have impregnated a sinful woman? I never did.

I don't know. It seems like it fits right in in terms of Christ conquering sin. It makes perfect sense that Christ would be able to be sinless despite being born of a "sinful vessel".

(For me, this is not a hill to die on. Whether she was sinless or not is His sovereign right to make her as so...or not. But I don't believe it was somehow a requirement or anything. He makes the rules. He can do what He wants)

The thing is, those who believe that Mary was without sin and ascended to Heaven, can justify the special reverence given to her. Those that don't share those beliefs believe that it is wrong to do so. Either way, in the end, I don't think it matters much to God.
diehard03
Quote:

Except that Genesis tells us that God will put enmity between the devil/serpent/deceiver/sin and the WOMAN. In your view, who is this woman?

I don't know that it has to be 1 woman and that's either digitally Eve or Mary. It seems that Mary fulfills role, via "the seed". But again, I don't see why God would be restricted in Mary having sinned AND Genesis 3 not being fulfilled.

My objection is much more around the idea that all have sinned, and if there's an exception, then I would expect a necessity to the exception. Christs makes sense. Marys not so much, imo.
codker92
AG
Faithful Ag said:

Quote:

Quote:

M1Buckeye said:
The Catholic Church teaches that the blessed Mary is without sin. Is there a Biblical reference for this teaching?

Faithful Ag said:
I am glad you chose this doctrine to discuss. Yes. I will present the doctrine of Mary being without sin including the Biblical support.

I am very busy today with work today so please bear with me on my response time. I will spend some time on this tonight and I look forward to engaging with you on this specific doctrine. Thanks!

-
Bringing this to a new thread to keep it on topic:

TLDR: The Catholic doctrine on the sinlessness of the Blessed Virgin Mary, THE Woman, our Theotokos, the mother of Jesus Christ is found woven throughout the OT and NT Bible. You just need to know where and how to look for her, which might be difficult based on your tradition of interpretation. She is everywhere and it is beautiful and everything about her magnifies the Lord and helps us to know and understand Jesus Christ more fully.
-

As Catholics, we approach the Bible through the eyes of the Church and through a lens of typology. There is a great deal of Christian truth and theology that is not explicitly seen with a Biblical proof-text, but is still supported Scripturally (and historically). Typology is basically the idea that the New is foreshadowed in the Old, and the Old is revealed in the New. For example, Adam was an Old Testament prefigurement that points us toward Jesus, and Jesus is revealed as the New Adam in the NT. Some NT Types are more clear than others, and in fact several references in the NT confirm that Jesus is indeed the New Adam. The one key to remember in Biblical typology is that the NT Fulfillment is always greater than the OT prefigurement.

Typology is not limited only to Jesus or to people. Other examples of types would include circumcision, Noah and the Flood, Moses and the parting of the Sea, and Joshua crossing the Jordan River, etc. as types of Baptism. Melchizedek, The Passover, Manna, Bread of the Presence, etc. are OT types of the Eucharist.

There are many types of Mary throughout the OT and I cannot go into all of them. There are a few types of Mary that are more obvious and identifiable than some of the more subtle prefigurements so I would like to focus on those. I will start with two of them: Mary the New Eve (or The Woman), and Mary the New Arc of the Covenant.

THE WOMAN
Going back to Genesis you will see that Eve is referred to as simply Woman. Eve was created without sin and was taken from the side/flesh of Adam to be his helper. "Bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh" so where Eve took on flesh from Adam, God Incarnate takes on His humanity or flesh from Mary. Keep reading in Genesis and you quickly come to the fall. There is far too much to cover here, but a couple of important points. Adam & Eve fell into sin and disobedience together. Adam quickly blamed God for the Woman He gave her (and threw Eve under the bus). God then punishes the serpent and does a number of things that relate to Mary's sinlessness:

1. "I will put enmity between you and the Woman," -note that enmity is placing the woman in opposition to, or completely against the devil. In order to have enmity between evil and the woman the woman must not know sin. Who is the woman in this verse? It obviously cannot be Eve, and it is the Catholic belief that the woman here is speaking specifically about Mary.

2. "And between your seed and HER seed;" -women typically do not have "seed" but understanding the woman would provide her own seed (virgin birth) this makes a little more since. Also note that the same enmity placed between the woman and the devil is also placed between her seed and the devil. Her seed is Jesus Christ who we know for a fact was without sin. They were in this together so to speak.

3. "He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel." -Foreshadowing of the cosmic battle described by John in the Apocalypse.

4. After the fall and the above, Adam named his wife Eve (No longer Woman) and following being banished from the garden he knew his wife and she conceived.

There is much, much more here but I think this is enough for now on Genesis.

Now with Genesis as our backdrop lets take a look at the Gospel of John, which is clearly what John wanted us to have in mind. 'In the beginning was the Word and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; The next day. The next day again. The next day. On the third day there was a marriage at Cana.' The parallels John creates between Genesis and the Gospel are not by mistake. Also, note the first thing Adam & Eve do when they are banished from the garden (conceive) compared to the first public miracle Jesus performs at his mother's request or intercession. Both have marriage undertones.

Jesus then says to her "Woman, what is this to you and to me? My hour has not yet come". This is far from a rebuke of Mary, but rather an indication of who Mary is THE Woman. The one spoken about in Genesis. The one with enmity between her and the devil (sin). Mary's response was not one concerned with what Jesus had said or if he would take action but rather she tells the servants to do whatever he tells you. She trusted Jesus and helped others to do the same and follow him.

Now fast forward to the foot of the cross. What is it that Jesus says and does with regard to his mother? He calls her "Woman", again not out of disrespect but because of who she is, Woman is her title in a sense. "Woman, behold your son! Behold your mother"

So I am going to have to save ""Mary, the Arc of the Covenant" for another night, but I hope "Mary the New Eve & The Woman" will be at least a start for helping to show some Biblical support for our beliefs on Mary. Are they crystal clear proof-texts? No. However the Biblical support is there and we are barely scratching the surface with this example although I think the enmity is a very strong point. I would be interested in others shedding light on their understanding of these passages.

Lastly, Mary was created and she needs her savior just like the rest of us. She is not Devine. The only difference is that God, who is not limited by anything including space and time, chose to preserve the mother of Jesus from the stain of sin. Furthermore Mary cooperated perfectly in her love and obedience for God. Her soul magnifies the Lord, and like Jesus she was full of grace.

ETA: We can also see Mary in The Apocalypse of John as the Arc of the Covenant and the Woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars who was with child and giving birth to Christ. I just don't have the energy left in me tonight but this continues the theme of THE WOMAN.

Mary did not remain sinless. She gave birth to other children for which she bled and for which a sin sacrifice is required.

The Angel of the Lord forgave sins before Jesus did, at least chronologically. Jesus, present before the foundation of the world created Adam, in whom Mary existed. Jesus gave birth to Mary long ago. He created her soul before she was born.
diehard03
Quote:

The thing is, those who believe that Mary was without sin and ascended to Heaven, can justify the special reverence given to her

I don't know. Again, it's generally just a case of a step too far...too much solicitations of prayers on our behalf, as if her position grants her special access or something.

General reverence and acknowledgement of how amazing the "let it be done to me as you've said"? Yes, of course.
Faithful Ag
You are absolutely right in that God has no restrictions or requirements. He can do whatever he chooses however he chooses whenever he chooses. No limits. However, we know God is truth and his promises are truth and his word is trustworthy.

So first is seeing and accepting that Mary is the New Eve and thus making Mary the Woman to which this promise applies. I am open to hearing any other option than Mary providing you can offer support for your view.

Enmity is hatred, opposition, separation. If the Woman being spoken of is Mary and Mary committed sin then at that moment there would not have been enmity between them.

What alternative would you put forward for who the Woman in Genesis is?
Zobel
AG
There's some interesting stuff there. The position of the queen mother is a unique office of the Davidic throne (see 1 Kings 2:19). If you look in the genealogies they list the mothers of the kings for the Davidic line (eg 1 Kings 14:21, 15:2....2 Kings 22:1 etc etc), but not for anyone else. You can see this is a position at court, and it can be deposed - see Asa and Maacah in 1 Kings 15:13.

Mary as the Mother of the Lord is an office of the Lord's court because of His unique kingship as the Davidic king. Mary as the Theotokos, the mother of God, as part of the divine council, is because of His unique kingship as the Most High God. You can't separate the two, because He is both.

We know from the earliest times that Mary His mother was part of the gospel proclamation, because very, very early attacking Mary was seen as a way to attack Him. Celsus was a pagan opponent of Christianity, and while we don't have his writings we have reactions to him - for example, by Origen around 250 AD. We know from this that he didn't know very much about Christianity - at this time Christianity was very much an underground and secret religion, and details of the faith (for example, about communion) were not available to outsiders. So what he knew was part of the public ministry, the proclamation of the apostles - the gospel. And he knew about Mary, because he attacked her as being a poor nobody from nowhere (which is to say, that she couldn't possibly be the mother of a king).
Quad Dog
AG
I thought I remembered reading the belief that Mary was a virgin her whole life. Maybe that was something else.

To me, that's the step too far. That a married woman would remain a virgin. Or that Joseph would remain married to a virgin.
Zobel
AG
The traditional belief about the Theotokos is that she was a perpetual virgin, yes. And by traditional, I mean universal up to and including the Reformers. That she wasn't is more or less only a belief held in the past few centuries. If you look at iconography of Mary, you'll see three stars on her clothes (one on each shoulder and one on her head). These represent perpetual virginity - before, during, after. This is present in the iconographic tradition going back to the 4th century at least.

The scriptures never say that St Joseph married her. It can also be inferred that he died at some point before Christ Jesus' adult life, as he isn't in the stories at all from that point, Mary travels with the Apostles, and is given to St John at the cross.

Tradition holds that he was an elderly man, and a widower, who was betrothed to her as a guardian, not as a husband. The brothers of the Lord are his cousins or brothers from St Joseph's prior marriage. The Lord appointing St John as a caretaker of Mary also strongly implies she had no other children to care for her.
Faithful Ag
Quad Dog said:

I thought I remembered reading the belief that Mary was a virgin her whole life. Maybe that was something else.

To me, that's the step too far. That a married woman would remain a virgin. Or that Joseph would remain married to a virgin.

I am happy to defend perpetual virginity of Mary as well as her being without sin. There is plenty to support this teaching from Scripture (and Sacred Tradition). I heard someone say that everything we know about Mary is a beautiful tapestry that is woven entirely out of threads from the Old Testament. Mary as the New Arc of the Covenant is another piece to the puzzle of both her sinlessness and her perpetual virginity.
diehard03

Quote:

So first is seeing and accepting that Mary is the New Eve and thus making Mary the Woman to which this promise applies. I am open to hearing any other option than Mary providing you can offer support for your view.

Enmity is hatred, opposition, separation. If the Woman being spoken of is Mary and Mary committed sin then at that moment there would not have been enmity between them.

What alternative would you put forward for who the Woman in Genesis is?

I mean, Eve was right there...and I don't know that "enmity" automatically invokes sinless. Sure, it means opposition, but it's a literary text which is not just prose. But the "seed" references is pointing to Mary eventually. I can see a case for it being both of them or this "the woman" reference that either one of them fulfill at different times.

jrico2727
AG
With Marian doctrines the church is usually trying to define something about Christ. So declaring Mary as mother of God, they are saying Jesus is God. To say that Mary is sinless is to show how durning the incarnation Our Lord inherited sinless flesh from Mary, since there was no earthly father.

If you look at her Magnificat, where she proclaimed My soul magnifies the Lord, how true it is. The Church in trying to understand the mysteries of Christ can look his Mother and understand him better through her. For most Christians would accept the teaching that we are the Body of Christ. In this mystery where the Lord draws us into him self he shares his Heavenly Father as well as his earthly Mother.

No Mary, No Christ
Know Mary, Know Christ.
diehard03

Quote:

There's some interesting stuff there. The position of the queen mother is a unique office of the Davidic throne (see 1 Kings 2:19). If you look in the genealogies they list the mothers of the kings for the Davidic line (eg 1 Kings 14:21, 15:2....2 Kings 22:1 etc etc), but not for anyone else. You can see this is a position at court, and it can be deposed - see Asa and Maacah in 1 Kings 15:13.

Mary as the Mother of the Lord is an office of the Lord's court because of His unique kingship as the Davidic king. Mary as the Theotokos, the mother of God, as part of the divine council, is because of His unique kingship as the Most High God. You can't separate the two, because He is both.

I'm not entirely convinced that it means anything though. What does the divine council mean? I am sure the were Queen Mothers overtime who had more or less power, so what's the point we are trying to convey? Mere recognition or honor? sure. But as a conduit to Christ, when he's already establishes that He is the conduit to himself?

Quote:

We know from the earliest times that Mary His mother was part of the gospel proclamation, because very, very early attacking Mary was seen as a way to attack Him.
I don't know that attacking someone's mother means shes part of the gospel...
Faithful Ag
That is kind of how typology works. The New Testament fulfillment is always greater than the Old Testament prefigurement or type. The Old Testament is revealed by the New Testament. In this case both Eve and Mary were the Woman and really no other case for any other person would be fitting. However it is Mary that is the greater, that does the will of God, that succeeds where Eve failed.

Eve was created without sin and chose to bring sin into this world. Mary, being greater than Eve, was also created without sin and chose to bring salvation into the world by living a life opposed to sin. Enmity.
diehard03

Quote:

With Marian doctrines the church is usually trying to define something about Christ. So declaring Mary as mother of God, they are saying Jesus is God. To say that Mary is sinless is to show how durning the incarnation Our Lord inherited sinless flesh from Mary, since there was no earthly father.

Completely unnecessary and suspect that the entire Gospel of John looks different if this were true. Christ appeals to the Father, not his Mother, that he is God.

Quote:

No Mary, No Christ
Know Mary, Know Christ.

This is why people think you worship Mary. if you want to flip it, most Protestants would begrudgingly agree with you (No Christ, No Mary)
Faithful Ag
Quote:

Completely unnecessary and suspect that the entire Gospel of John looks different if this were true. Christ appeals to the Father, not his Mother, that he is God.

What do you mean by the entire gospel of John looks different?

Eta: Christ looks to the Father that he is God but his mother that he is man. Both are important for us
jrico2727
AG
Jesus obtained his humanity from Mary. He is 100 percent God and 100 percent human.

Our Lord respected Mary's freedom. Without her Fiat there would not have been the incarnation. I doubt anyone knows a man better than his Mother. To cut your self off from her us to cut of your nose to spite your face
diehard03

Quote:

That is kind of how typology works. The New Testament fulfillment is always greater than the Old Testament prefigurement or type. The Old Testament is revealed by the New Testament. In this case both Eve and Mary were the Woman and really no other case for any other person would be fitting. However it is Mary that is the greater, that does the will of God, that succeeds where Eve failed.

this doesn't even make sense with typology. One person was given a perpetual forbidden action and one person was told something would happen to them. It's not like they were given the same test.

Quote:

Eve was created without sin and chose to bring sin into this world. Mary, being greater than Eve, was also created without sin and chose to bring salvation into the world by living a life opposed to sin. Enmity.
Eve didn't choose to bring sin into the world. She had no idea that that would happen. Conversely, Mary didn't choose to avoid sin and was thusly rewarded with bearing The Messiah. As far as Mary being sinless, I'm fine with the idea that bearing the incarnation fundamentally changes you so that you never choose sin again...OR that she was made sinless from the beginning and she never had the opportunity to sin...but I don't believe that she was the one who just happened to not sin on her own volition. This seems to misunderstand sin.
diehard03
Quote:

What do you mean by the entire gospel of John looks different?

See all the references to the Father in the gospel and the lack of references to Mother. edit2: and your point was that Mary was to identify Jesus as God.

edit:

Quote:

Eta: Christ looks to the Father that he is God but his mother that he is man. Both are important for us

and if you want to focus on Mary to appeal to the humanity of God, then go for it. But that's not what we are talking about here. It's about attributing special divine things (ie, greater appeal to Christ, etc) to her.
diehard03
Quote:

Our Lord respected Mary's freedom. Without her Fiat there would not have been the incarnation.

Where is this in Scripture? Why didn't the Angel ask Mary instead of telling her what was to happen to her?
Faithful Ag
I agree with you that Mary was given special graces and that her sinlessness was not entirely of her own but a gift from her Son. However, Mary was human and had free will and chose not to fall into sin when when there was temptation. Much like Jesus in the desert. He too was tempted.

To your point about typology and needing to undergo the same exact test - well that is not how it works at all. Look at circumcision as a type of Baptism. Very different but one prefigured the other.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced that it means anything though. What does the divine council mean? I am sure the were Queen Mothers overtime who had more or less power, so what's the point we are trying to convey? Mere recognition or honor? sure. But as a conduit to Christ, when he's already establishes that He is the conduit to himself?
God is the God Most High and rules His creation with and through the divine council. It's everywhere in the OT, perhaps most explicitly in Job or Psalm 82. Whenever you see the phrase "sons of God" this is exactly what is being described - those who stand at the throne, who have some authority given to them by God over His creation. This is what Man was created to do - in the image and likeness of God "that he may rule over" creation. Of course the fall of man, the fall of demons, changed all of this. But the OT talks about princes (Michael the Archangel in Daniel, for example) which are angels who were assigned to nations as regents. And, in the end, men are to become like the sons of God... replacing those who fell. As the Lord says, "They will be like the angels in heaven."

The point conveyed with the queen mother is that this seems to be a unique office related to the Davidic throne. It's not an Israel thing or an ancient near east thing, it's a Judah / Davidic throne thing. Christ is the heir to the Davidic throne, so just as every single king of the Davidic line is proclaimed "so and so is king, and so and so was his mother" the proclamation of Christ Jesus would be - "Jesus Christ is King, and Mary is His mother." This is how the scriptures without exception speak of the Davidic kings.

In a royal court, position is politics is access is power. There's a reason that the scriptures say being seated at the right hand, that the Son of Man seats at the right hand of God, that the queen mother its at the right hand of the King. No less the Divine Council, which is why Gabriel says - "I stand in the presence of God" as a mark of his authority. The queen mother sat at the right hand of the king, a place of special honor and access. Hence when we say that the Theotokos is "more honorable than the cherubim and more glorious than the seraphim" we speak of her proximity, her place of honor at the throne of God. (The cherubim and seraphim are throne guardians in ANE tradition).

The Lord is the mediator to the father - as St Paul says "we have One Mediator between God and all men". But the Theotokos acts as all of the Sons of God act, which is offering prayers and intercessions to Jesus the King. All of this is shown clearly in Revelation with the prayers of the saints, the elders around the throne, and so on. Humans were created to rule and reign as icons of God. This is truly what it means to be the Body of Christ, to act as His hands, His feet, to be the conduit for Him to act in the world. He chooses to act in His creation through men, to rule it through men. And so, He chooses for men to do His work in the world, which includes (in a loop) offering prayers and intercessions to Him.

This is what saints DO. This is all of our job, and as the Theotokos is the prototypical Christian, her job as well. Hence, just as we ask for the prayers of others to intercede, we ask for her prayers to intercede for us as well. And she does offer prayers, as do all the saints.

Quote:

I don't know that attacking someone's mother means shes part of the gospel...
The fact that he knew who she was means she was part of the public ministry of the apostles. The fact that he knew of her at all, when he didn't know very much, means she was no minor part. This falls right in line with the logical claim that anyone who was familiar with the history of Judah would know that when you name the king of Judah, the person who sits on the Davidic throne, you do it in the form of - "Jesus and his mother was Mary."

This cuts to what "the gospel" really is. The evangelion is the proclamation of victory particularly military victory, sent ahead of someone who was coming, for people to prepare. It announces who they are, and why they matter. When you proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ it is who He is and what He did. Who He is, is the Lord, that is to say, YHWH, and the Son of David, that is to say, the Messiah of David, and He is no less Jesus, the son of Mary. What He did was defeat death and open the way to become Sons of God, as promised to Abraham - to bless all mankind through his seed (singular).
Faithful Ag
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Our Lord respected Mary's freedom. Without her Fiat there would not have been the incarnation.

Where is this in Scripture? Why didn't the Angel ask Mary instead of telling her what was to happen to her?
can you point to anyone or anytime in scripture that God forced his will upon someone without their assent and consent ?

Mary was not rewarded for her sinless life by getting the prize to be the mother of Jesus. She was set apart and chosen for that purpose and she accepted it humbly. Mary did not know her purpose until the Angel appeared to her at the annunciation. She simply asked how and immediately accepted with love for God.
Sapper Redux
Faithful Ag said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

can you point to anyone or anytime in scripture that God forced his will upon someone without their assent and consent ?

Mary was not rewarded for her sinless life by getting the prize to be the mother of Jesus. She was set apart and chosen for that purpose and she accepted it humbly. Mary did not know her purpose until the Angel appeared to her at the annunciation. She simply asked how and immediately accepted with love for God.

I'd ask the Canaanites, but I'm having troubling finding one.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.