Man's origin

8,186 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
JimbosHatBarelyFits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You know what confuses me? How adam and eve, evolution, neanderthals and indians are all accounted for.

If Adam and Eve were first, what are neanderthals? Were adam and eve neanderthals?

Were indians/native americans already on north america or did every single person come from africa, the middle east area? And when the continents were all connected, people migrated and the native americans were on the north american continent while everyone else were on other continents and then the continents broke off? I know this is a bunch of rambling but this is how confused my thoughts are.

Did God create us as neanderthals to begin with so we would have time to evolve into modern man? Maybe he knew we needed alot to evolve from? As close to ape as possible without being ape... If he created us and started us out as we are now, over thousands of years we would be way too smart for our own good?

Someone make sense of this!
craigernaught
AG
Adam and Eve weren't historical people.

Neanderthals were a separate human species.

Humans are apes.

All sapiens originated in Africa.

Sapiens evolved after the breakup of Pangaea.

We're really good at walking and building boats.
PacifistAg
AG
Either one of the Genesis accounts were not meant to be scientific explanations of the creation of the universe. Who created it all? Yes. The mechanism/science behind it? No.
Quad Dog
AG
Add in a land bridge that existed during an ice age to your walking.
craigernaught
AG
With boats I was thinking more about the pacific islands, but yeah we're good at following food and opportunity anywhere including across land bridges in an ice age.
schmendeler
AG
well this thread was resolved fairly quickly. great job, everyone.
Aggrad08
AG
I will say the wages of Sin being death seems hard to square with death being older than man.

But that certainly seems like a smaller hurdle than fighting back a mountain of science
Martin Q. Blank
If Genesis is not historical, who was the first sinner?
ramblin_ag02
AG
craigernaught said:

With boats I was thinking more about the pacific islands, but yeah we're good at following food and opportunity anywhere including across land bridges in an ice age.
I always figured people kept trying to get away from other people until eventually there was no escape
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
An algorithm for defining sin? What does that mean?
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

craigernaught said:

I always figured people kept trying to get away from other people until eventually there was no escape

This made me picture two early humans fighting, so they walk off in opposite directions. Years later, they each spot someone over the horizon. Eager to see another human, they run to greet each other. Then they see who it is and they start cussing and fighting all over again.
Aggrad08
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

craigernaught said:

I think leaving Africa was almost certainly an early attempt to get away from the in laws
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Adam and Eve weren't historical people.
We're pretty sure from studying the Y chromosome that all mankind has a common male ancestor. He's referred to as genetic Adam. From mitochondrial DNA, we can say the same about a common female ancestor. Initially, the calculations had these two people living thousands of years apart, but recent studies have shown they may have lived around the same time.

https://www.nature.com/news/genetic-adam-and-eve-did-not-live-too-far-apart-in-time-1.13478

Now let's get weird. First, ss far back as Origen, one interpretation of the Fall had Adam and Eve gain human bodies. Origen speculated that Adam and Eve were spirits and only gained flesh when cast out of Eden. Second, there are two different accounts for the creations of humans in Genesis and they don't match. Genesis 1 has men created on day 6, but Genesis 2 had Adam created before plants. Plants were created on day 3. Another old interpretation of this discrepency is that normal people were created on day 6, but Adam was created before as something unique and different. To put these all together, that would mean and Adam and Eve weren't really human as we know it until after the fall. So Adam and Eve were spiritual beings or differently physical beings, sinned, Fell, and we shoved into proto-human bodies becoming the first real humans. I like this because it also solves a few other issues, such as the spouses of Eve's children and the whole thing with Nephilim.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
lobopride
I believe a God fully capable of creating DNA, eyeballs, stars, physical laws, microscopic organisms, music, light, emotions, etc is also capable of giving the physical appearance of age. I don't lose sleep about whether the Earth is 10k years or 4 billion years old. Means nothing to me. Doesn't affect my faith one iota.
Quad Dog
AG
What if it was an hour old?
PabloSerna
AG
"If the human body has its origin in living material which pre-exists it, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God.'' - Pope John Paul II, Message delivered to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences 22 October 1996

+++

When God breathed life into that "mud" of our ancestors... we took a phenomenological leap forward!

lobopride
Quad Dog said:

What if it was an hour old?

As long as the events occurred as depicted I'm fine with it. Things like the flood, exodus from Egypt, etc has to be true or the whole thing is a fraud.
schmendeler
AG
You might want to sit down...
craigernaught
AG
Why?
PabloSerna
AG
I remember when I tried to fit God in a box!

lobopride
The Gospel of John says that Jesus is the Word. We know God cannot lie. Why would he tell us lies and have us believe in them for our salvation?
Post removed:
by user
craigernaught
AG
"Word" in John isn't referring to the text of the Bible.

Even if it did, there's no reason that it necessitates a literal translation.
craigernaught
AG
The big problem with this is that those things absolutely did not happen. And when the evidence in front of you shows that they didn't, your faith forces you to become illogical and to deny evidence in order to remain faithful.

At this point, what does it matter if God lies, if facts and reason don't matter?
lobopride
craigernaught said:

The big problem with this is that those things absolutely did not happen. And when the evidence in front of you shows that they didn't, your faith forces you to become illogical and to deny evidence in order to remain faithful.

At this point, what does it matter if God lies, if facts and reason don't matter?

Let God be true and every man a liar. Science is not my God. If science could prove the Bible false then science is greater than God.
craigernaught
AG
That doesn't address anything I said.
lobopride
craigernaught said:

That doesn't address anything I said.

Yes it does. You say things "did not happen" but the Bible says they did. On what basis do you say that these things did not happen?
PacifistAg
AG
Could you at least recognize that a literal translation is not necessary, and that one can interpret those texts differently while also affirming their faith in the Word?
craigernaught
AG
The fact that you think this is an adequate response indicates that this isn't going to be a fruitful conversation.

You completely ignored my first post. You have not answered why you think a literal interpretation is necessary. You made an honest but clear mistake in your misinterpretation of word/logos and you haven't addressed it which is odd given that it seems to be the basis of your whole "liar" argument which you keep using. After you make a positive claim for which you don't provide evidence, you demand evidence of others who dispute it.

What exactly do you want me to do? Open up my textbooks from seminary and walk you through the evidence and the issues with a historical interpretation of Exodus right after you just plain ignored what I wrote previously and stick to a obviously incorrect interpretation of John 1? Why would I do that?
lobopride
I went to seminary too so I guess we can both shout our bona fides at each other. I'll look at your question when I'm in front of a computer.
Aggrad08
AG
Which one did you go to?
lobopride
DTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.