Church turnover as a result of the pandemic

5,183 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This might be the first time I have had a post get moved to another forum from where it started and then I end up taking it off the watchlist because it got highjacked.
swimmerbabe11
so sorry, but do check out the Lutheran church I linked to. I really like the pastors there.
UpstateAg
AG
Sorry about that.
diehard03
This is what happens here
UpstateAg
AG
I never visit the r&p forum. Heard it's like f16 at times.
diehard03
Quote:

We definitely agree on the Divine inspiration of the the bible. However, sola scriptura is an argument for it being the only source of revelation and authority as I understand it. The Church having the authority to say what is in or out, especially when there are so many texts that were believed to be inspired that didn't make the cut seems to undermine that argument. We see the bible as a source of authority, but the cannon of the bible is ultimately a product of tradition which is authoritative as well.

We like to say that Scripture is sufficient for all authority. The revelation can never be an authority unto itself, if that makes sense.

If Scripture is insufficient for all authority, then why did you leave parts out? (tongue in cheek)
diehard03
Quote:

Heard it's like f16 at times

When F16 people come over and post F16 things, it can appear that way sometimes.

A simple way of knowing your not in F16 is that you won't see a insipid post about "dims" getting 70 blue stars here.
Redstone
AG
It's not my intention to detail. And related, we must have had some big turnover since jk, Seamaster, Thad, and me repped Catholic positions against a Messianic gentleman, various Calvinists, and a Mormon. It was all in good fun, but pretty heated also.

Trust me, the board seems much tamer now.

Peace to all. Let's agree we should be praying more
jrico2727
AG
Jesus started a church, he didn't write a book. The bible is an product of the church, not the other way around. I wouldn't say it has insufficient authority it just doesn't have supreme authority. If the revelation cannot be an authority unto it self then you would need a authority or authoritative body to interpret and teach the scripture to prevent confusion and error. Also, I think it may have been some german fellow that had left some scripture out.
94chem
jrico2727 said:

Jesus started a church, he didn't write a book. The bible is an product of the church, not the other way around. I wouldn't say it has insufficient authority it just doesn't have supreme authority. If the revelation cannot be an authority unto it self then you would need a authority or authoritative body to interpret and teach the scripture to prevent confusion and error. Also, I think it may have been some german fellow that had left some scripture out.

Wow, these are like, totally new arguments that nobody has ever heard. I'm so glad they are in this thread.
Isaih Smollett
Quote:

Wow, these are like, totally new arguments that nobody has ever heard. I'm so glad they are in this thread.

and yet you have too much pride to admit you're wrong
Line up and wait 18L
One of the best sermons I have ever heard was "Church Adultery" by Breakaway (former pastor) Ben Stewart. He basically talked about seeking out spiritual entertainment and church hopping instead of being at the church home God intended you to be at.

My wife and I attend a very small traditional Baptist church in a rural town. I'm a deacon there and my wife (CPA) does all book/paper work for the church which is extremely time consuming because we have a state licensed day care. Obviously she feels that is part of her personal ministry and enjoys it.

It would be so easy to just drive down the road and write our 10% check and sit in the pew and be entertained. We left the church once for a short time 20 years ago because my pastor tried to get me to sign up for a multi marketing get rich scheme. He meant well and was sort of duped. I regret I did that and will not repeat the mistake.

Be where God wants you to be. If you think your church can get better then try to help it do that.
Redstone
AG
We should reflect upon this :

What is the center of the service? What is this "content," in the big picture?

If the "quality" rises and falls with the pastor, isn't this a major, "meta" issue?

The great strength of the Apostolic faith is that, as the Catechism describes, the Eucharist is the "Source" and the "Summit" of Christian worship - Christ Himself.

An awful pastor (and trust me, Catholics have them), in this meta sense, "doesn't matter"
ramblin_ag02
AG
Gotta say, after 15 years around this board and a ton of self study, nearly every sermon I hear is superficial and underwhelming. No shade on any of the hard work put in by the preachers involved, but sermons are no substitute for prayer, study, and service
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

nearly every sermon I hear is superficial and underwhelming. No shade on any of the hard work put in by the preachers involved, but sermons are no substitute for prayer, study, and service

this is a valid criticism of Evangelicals. The sermon was never supposed to replace those things. It is for our benefit that the Gospel be proclaims to us weekly.
94chem
machine20 said:

Quote:

and yet you have too much pride to admit you're wrong

Nanny nanny boo boo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.