Would you voluntarily join the afterlife if we "solve ageing"?

3,051 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DirtDiver
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quad Dog said:

If immortality ever reached the point where it's cheap, easy, common, acceptable, etc. wouldn't refusing it essentially be commiting suicide?

Philipians 1:22:26

22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.

Your question ends up going far my philosophical than you may realize, but why would we choose to live in a world where we are going to constantly sin when we have the opportunity to be with God?
fat girlfriend
I'd rather live and work and create in an immortal community of people who have been restored to a way of loving and desiring that is life-giving and sustainable than to live and work and create in an immortal community of people who still live like we do in this world. But we don't get that first community just by dying. It takes becoming, under the power of God.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Your question ends up going far my philosophical than you may realize, but why would we choose to live in a world where we are going to constantly sin when we have the opportunity to be with God?

It was intended to be philosophical.
You could also choose to live in a world where you constantly seek forgiveness, avoid sin, love others, convert more non-believers, etc. You'd have more time to do more of all the things a Christian is commanded to do by God.
AgLiving06
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

It was intended to be philosophical.
You could also choose to live in a world where you constantly seek forgiveness, avoid sin, love others, convert more non-believers, etc. You'd have more time to do more of all the things a Christian is commanded to do by God.

But essentially what you are saying is that you desire to live for eternity and that you'd rather live apart from Christ than with him.

That's why I posted the Philippians quote. Paul longed to be with Christ.

amercer
AG
Biological immortality seems problematic. How many experiences do you remember from 10 years ago? 30 years ago? 50? Without your memories you aren't really you anymore.

So maybe your body stays around 500 years, but with an organic brain your consciousness might never be older than 100 years. What's the point of that?
Aggrad08
AG
amercer said:

Biological immortality seems problematic. How many experiences do you remember from 10 years ago? 30 years ago? 50? Without your memories you aren't really you anymore.

So maybe your body stays around 500 years, but with an organic brain your consciousness might never be older than 100 years. What's the point of that?
I get your point, but If on my 200th birthday people argue that I might as well die since I can hardly remember my 30s at all, and barely remember my 130s I'd have to say **** that. You could very well be a different sort of person, but I think that's true from just your 20s to your 50s. Hardly a reason to pull the plug.
Post removed:
by user
amercer
AG
I guess I kind of think of it this way:

If I was given the opportunity to buy a 1000 year life span for 1 million dollars today, I'd jump at it.

However, if I knew that in 200 years I wouldn't have any of the memories I have today (including the one where I payed for that life span) I think it would change the equation. Why would I sacrifice my life now for someone else to live on in my body?

There's also the more science fiction horror angle where you just go insane at some point from too many memories pilling on top of each other
DirtDiver

Quote:

There's also the more science fiction horror angle where you just go insane at some point from too many memories pilling on top of each other

Interesting statement. I've never known people to have memory capacity limit meltdowns unless their memories were full of regret, shame, and experiencing atrocities.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.