Why is the Bible not in Chronological order?

5,150 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AstroAg17
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are in the book of Ezra which begins with the return of the Jews to the Promised Land.

Chronologically it follows the book of Daniel (Exile), but it is before Daniel in our Bible.

Anybody have a good explanation or resource to explain?

And Yes, I know God did it.
wbt5845
AG
Because the bible isn't a history book.
Duncan Idaho
It should be arrange in order of length
Woody2006
AG
Partially because a lot of the stories in the Bible never actually happened.
ramblin_ag02
AG
For all that the Bible is inspired, I don't know of anyone that claims the order of the books is inspired. It's generally grouped into histories- Genesis to Esther, Wisdom Literature- Job to Song of Songs, then the Major Prophets of Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, then the minor prophets after.

Best thing I ever did for OT study was go through a comprehensive, chronological reading plan. It makes a ton more sense with everything in context
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
commando2004
AG
In the Jewish tradition, the Bible (what Christians call "The Old Testament") is divided into three major sections, in decreasing order of holiness:

(1) Torah

• Bere**** / Genesis
  • Shemot / Exodus
  • VaYikra / Leviticus
  • BaMidbar / Numbers
  • Devarim / Deuteronomy

(2) Nevi'im (Prophets)

• Joshua
  • Judges
  • (1 & 2) Samuel
  • (1 & 2) Kings
  • Isaiah
  • Jeremiah
  • Ezekiel
  • The 12 minor prophets (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)

(3) Ketuvim (Writings)

• Psalms
  • Proverbs
  • Job
  • Song of Solomon
  • Ruth
  • Lamentations
  • Ecclesiastes
  • Esther
  • Daniel
  • Ezra-Nehemiah
  • (1 & 2) Chronicles

The Hebrew Bible is thus frequently known by the acronym T+N+K (Torah + Nevi'im + Ketuvim), or TaNaKh.

Note that Daniel (set late in the Babylonian Exile) and Ezra (set at the building of the Second Temple) are adjacent and in that order. Which makes perfect sense.

But when the Catholic Church canonized the "Old Testament", they redid the order of the books, mostly by splitting the Prophets section into separate "Historical Books" and "Prophets" sections, and moving the latter to the end. Had theological reasons for doing so.

Aggrad08
AG
After the chronological order of the story you should look at the order they were actually written
BusterAg
AG
I blame Quentin Tarantino
Martin Q. Blank
Woody2006 said:

How is that an explanation?
fat girlfriend
Not even any single gospel is written strictly chronologically. I think they were written according to methods of communication of their day (all communication is contextual in this way), and early hearers would have understood them to be making historical claims, but not historical claims in the style of a history book or court record. The actual teachings and acts of Jesus were ordered and portrayed in ways that make the theological point that the author (and God in his inspiration) wanted to convey.

Without understanding this, the contradictions between gospel accounts are undeniable. They simply don't present the same ordering to the events, and the details sometimes vary.
oldarmy1
AG
http://www.thywordistruth.com/Questions_Class/tpq/Lesson-18-Notes.html#.XiT3qchKiUk
http://www.thywordistruth.com/audio/tpq/Questions-18.mp3
If you really care to know, this is a pretty good lesson.
spete
Daniel does, indeed, include a lot of history, but it is largely a book of prophecy. Therefore, it is grouped with the other OT prophetic books (which also contain history).

There arebibles that mesh all the writings (including the prophets) chronologically, thus telling the story beginning to end. They are helpful and easy to read.
Unknown_handle
AG
And you know this how? Which books or stories did not happen?
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

How is that an explanation?

How could you determine when to insert the story of Jonah or Job, for example? Those were just stories... There wasn't an actual Jonah who spent all that time inside a whale just as many of the stories in the Bible never actually occurred.

You could put the Bible in the order the books were written, but that's about it.
Zobel
AG
Jonah is in the Bible, he was a prophet. But to your point the book of Jonah is, I think, a kind of parable. Job as well.
Aggrad08
AG
Unknown_handle said:

And you know this how? Which books or stories did not happen?

The exodus and Jewish conquest of Canaan have considerable portions that don't jive with archaeology findings if taken literally
Unknown_handle
AG
You could be correct. However, simply because you can't verify that something happened is not PROOF that it did not. Most miracles in the bible cannot be proven but we as Christians believe them. You can't prove they did not happen. You are an unbeliever so you don't believe and that is okay!
Aggrad08
AG
It's not just an absence of evidence there is direct evidence against. Demonstrable inaccuracies and anachronisms exist. So it's not just that we found nothing. It's we looked, found lots of things but not what would be there if the story were true and were able to establish that the story conflicts with these findings in irreconcilable ways

Think about how we disproved the worldwide flood in genesis, it's the same sort of thing.
PA24
AG
Aggrad08 said:

It's not just an absence of evidence there is direct evidence against. Demonstrable inaccuracies and anachronisms exist. So it's not just that we found nothing. It's we looked, found lots of things but not what would be there if the story were true and were able to establish that the story conflicts with these findings in irreconcilable ways

Think about how we disproved the worldwide flood in genesis, it's the same sort of thing.
.......you have a strong believe in your science that is based on theorems, you probably have not proven those theorems but you have faith in those numbers....kinda like Global warming, Greta type faith and questioning your faith is a "how dare you moment" which is amusing to me.

Your faith changes, dynamic in nature your believe. Aliens out there in space, created us as an experiment that went array or we evolved over billions of years which is quite a stretch.......seriously.

You keep coming here.... to this forum, with the answers to save the Christians from what?

From what Dude...you?

Aggrad08
AG
Yes I have strong belief in science based on theorems. Those theories have enormous empirical support. They are testable. So if I compare your myth to scientific theorem and scientific fact and your claims fall short I'm dramatically more likely to believe science than myth.

You asked I question I answered. Now you are upset why? I value truth, what more reason do I require?
craigernaught
AG
what
Unknown_handle
AG
The world wide floods have not been disproven. You just can't figure out how it happened so therefore you have concluded that it did not happen. The simple reason that you can't figure it out is that you refuse to consider all possibilities. You fail to consider God. So before any questions are formed or evidence found you have already ruled out possible answers. This would be called biased research.

The Bible tells you where the waters came from. You just missed it. Again, because of your biased methodolgies. Your lack of understanding of God's plans, intentions or methods does not mean that he lacks the ability to accomplish his Word.

You are here which is proof that God exists. If you being made in God's image is not proof of his limitless ability and power then what is?
Aggrad08
AG
Yea none of that's true. If you really are curious i can walk you through it. It's not an absence of evidence. Civilizations and animals lived right through this supposed event. No mass extinction, no loss of civilization, no genetic or geographic bottlenecks. And that before we even get to the kangaroos swimming back to Australia.
Ordhound04
AG
A pure history book, the bible is not. We should probably read some of these things in an allegorical sense. (With respect to the genre).

Even early christian writers during the apostolic era looked at some of the Old Testament writings with an allegorical lens. Frankly, a blunt liberalism is a fairly novel approach to Exegesis.
Unknown_handle
AG
You believe what you believe. You don't know when. You don't know how. So it didn't happen.

Ironically, if Noah had one of every species you shouldn't see a bottleneck.

Your absence of understanding proves only that you don't understand. God formed, made and created man which seems a little tougher than a flood. Yeah you're right...impossible.

You are here at God's pleasure. Be mindful of that in your biased research.

I don't waste time on trying to disprove things above my pay grade. I just enjoy the life that God gave me. I don't lay awake at night trying to figure out how to create life. You? Maybe you don't realize that man can't create anything ever...meaning to bring something into existence from nothing. May can only form and fashion things from the elements that God created and put in front of us.

Once you figure out how life began without God then get back with me and then we can discuss everything that God can't do. I will save you some time...there is only one thing that God can't do...break his own Word.
Aggrad08
AG
This is just bad thinking. And it's a shame we do such a bad job teaching science in high school because it allows ideas like yours to persist. There is a reason your beliefs are dead at every university in the first world. It's that they don't stand up to even a small degree of scrutiny.

It's not that we don't know what happened. We do, and it's not what you claim. And yes, having only two of a species creates a genetic bottleneck. Further, you couldn't fit them on a boat and if you did the carnivores would have nothing to eat and the kangaroos can't swim back to Australia.

Civilizations don't die out they keep on chugging right through your claimed event. No mass death in the fossil record. It's not that we don't know, it's that we know something else happened. It's not that we don't have any evidence at all. It's that we have mountains of evidence that disprove this myth.

You see they've taught you that science is false guesswork, that they are out to get you and yours, that it's a different kind of blind faith so it's not superior to your blind faith. None of that's true. And embedded in your argument is the notion that If science can't prove everything than it can prove (or disprove more specifically) nothing. This is again false.

If you god did what you claim you have to explain why he performed another miracle to hide every let bit of evidence and replace it with contrary evidence
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Ironically, if Noah had one of every species you shouldn't see a bottleneck.

Did you mean two of every species? Pretty sure one of every species wouldn't make it very far.
I'll admit I'm not an expert in genetics, but I'd want to know more about how having one female and one male of a species doesn't produce a bottleneck.
craigernaught
AG
Two or seven of every species? Or pairs?

Confusing.
Barnyard96
AG
Why don't we start with the Resurrection of Christ? Disprove this and you'll have my attention on whatever Biblical or scientific topic you would like to discuss.

Post removed:
by user
Barnyard96
AG
AstroAg17 said:

What's with all the emphasis on disproving this and that? Go with what fits the evidence best. We don't have to disprove all other scenarios.
My point is with the Resurrection all things are possible.
Aggrad08
AG
That's not true though. Evidence for a worldwide flood doesn't suddenly appear if you decide Jesus was god.
Post removed:
by user
Barnyard96
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Isn't the resurrection a little bit different than the flood? The flood is a testable hypothesis where the resurrection really isn't. A worldwide flood and dramatic reduction in all animal populations would have noticeable effects that should be evident after thousands or millions of years. A single man coming back to life would not, other than the potential testimonies of the witnesses.
Yes, one miracle can be different than another miracle.
Barnyard96
AG
Aggrad08 said:

That's not true though. Evidence for a worldwide flood doesn't suddenly appear if you decide Jesus was god.
Ok, so put the flood debate aside. I believe the Gospel of Jesus and the Resurrection. It was reported by several eyewitnesses who testified to their bitter deaths. Its not for me to decide, it's simply a question of belief.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.