Does Work = God for most Americans?

1,657 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should a job provide a paycheck or a purpose? For Americans, the edict is both. "Work has become the centerpiece of our identity, the focal point of our lives, and the organizing principle of society," says Derek Thompson in a new video from The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/595672/workism/

Thoughts?
Frok
AG
Sucks if you don't have a good job
BusterAg
AG
Or if you have no job.
BusterAg
AG
Seriously, though, I think it helpful to have a job that you believe is doing some good in the world. The world is a much better place than 20, 200, or 2,000 years ago thanks to a lot of people contributing a tiny pebble in the wall of progress.

I like how Cowen discusses this in Stubborn Attachments. Basic message there is, if we can grow the world economy by 3% per year, the world is going to continue to get better thanks to the magic of compounding growth, unless something drastically bad happens. So, if you want to help the human race, contribute.

It's supported in scripture, too. Ecclesiasties talking about taking joy in your work as one of the few things in life with meaning. Paul was a tent maker, Jesus a carpenter (probably a framer as opposed to a furniture builder, but who knows)., many apostles were fishermen. Jesus used their jobs as fishermen as an opportunity to teach, too.

But a job will not provide you with moral values, or ways to interact with friends/neighbors/spouse/kids, or a deeper meaning to life.

When it comes to priorities, I don't consider myself to be a Christian first, then husband second, father third, banker forth, etc. I consider myself to be a Christian husband, a Christian father, a Christian banker, etc.

I just don't see how your job as your identity is going to help you with how you will live the rest of your life. You have to fill that hole with something else besides your work identity.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Sucks if you don't have a good job

I agree with the guy in the video, most jobs suck.

Quote:

I think its helpful to have a job that you believe is doing some good in the world

This is where I'm leaning as well. Having tried doing a few other things ("what I love!" and "corporate ladder climbing") and finding none of them fulfilling, I'm thinking it's time to give it a shot doing something that coincides with making a difference, at least in my sphere of thinking. Yes, contributing a tiny pebble.

I need to look up Stubborn Attachments.
Frok
AG
I watched the video, I had only read the blurb before.

Very interesting. I think this idea that we should be able to work less but still make a living wage is faulty. The jobs are not the problem. It's that we desire so much stuff.

If we could be satisfied with less then we actually could work less.
dermdoc
AG
I am truly blessed to be able to "work" at a "job" that is so fulfilling and fun. And sometimes I may even actually help some people. I have a lot of empathy for those who are not doing a job that they love.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texaggie7nine
I agree the economic benefit is indeed good for us and the world. But there is a cost. To the quality of our lives, our children's lives who mostly grow up in daycare centers and in care of others while their parents both work.

Eventually, when the AI revolution comes and is able to provide a comfortable life for everyone whether they work hard or not, I think the US will suffer from an identity crisis. It will be possible to not work at all and have self worth, a good life and a purpose yet that will be hindered by such an ingrained sense of "work = worth".
7nine
schmendeler
AG
I mean, a lot of last names for people today come from the jobs their ancestors held. I don't think it gets much more job-focused than that.
Texaggie7nine
schmendeler said:

I mean, a lot of last names for people today come from the jobs their ancestors held. I don't think it gets much more job-focused than that.
What is schmendeling?
7nine
schmendeler
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

What is schmendeling?
essentially, posting on texags all day.
Frok
AG
schmendeler said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

What is schmendeling?
essentially, posting on texags all day.

It's a good thing your name came up in 79's mind first rather than mine.
swimmerbabe11
A correct understanding of vocation solves a lot of these things. Everything in this Christian life has balances. Appreciate the work that God has given you, but don't obsess about it until it is your god.

I think it is likely that an abused "protestant work ethic" has led to this in the USA
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.