Time to Stand up for decency

7,938 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Zobel
beccaboo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Tuesday July30, 2019 the The Right Rev. Mariann Edgar Budde, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, the Very Rev. Randolph Marshall Hollerith, Dean of Washington National Cathedral and the Rev. Canon Kelly Brown Douglas, Canon Theologian of Washington National Cathedral wrote a letter to the nation regarding the current status of decency in our nation today. Taken from the National Cathedral website and the letter content, the church challenges us all examine our conscience and behavior.
"What those at the National Cathedral understand indeed, what their Christian faith teaches is that before pointing fingers, individuals ought to first ask themselves, "Is it I?" Do I accept hate-filled speech? Do I spread false narratives or exaggerated perceptions? Do I stand for truth and do so with kindness?
When does silence become complicity? What will it take for us all to say, with one voice, that we have had enough? The question is less about the president's sense of decency, but of ours."
It is time for all, regardless of your political belief to examine our conscience and determine if, we as individuals, stand for decency.
All religions should adopt and be verbal regarding this call to decency. All Americans, whether religious or not, should decide 'is it time that I stand for decency in today's society and our United States and to voice that "we have had enough?"

dermdoc
AG
Lost me when the President was singled out. Dem pols and other repub pols are just as "indecent" as Trump.

And yes, I will stand for "decency". But it has to be equally applied.

Edited to add that anybody who is pro abortion is much more indecent imho than anything Trump tweets.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And you might want to google the theology of the three folks mentioned.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
beccaboo
You missed the point. As I stated it is time for decency regardless of your political belief.
dermdoc
AG
beccaboo said:

You missed the point. As I stated it is time for decency regardless of your political belief.

Agree as I posted above. But only one person is mentioned as being indecent and that is the President. And a little research shows these folks are as partisan as someone like Falwell on the right. It would be like Falwell and Jeffress asking for decency and mentioning the squad. Or Pelosi.
kurt vonnegut
AG
nevermind. . . .

Beccaboo, next time you post about decency here, make sure you are calling out democrats for their transgressions (and make a vague mention of how sometimes conservatives are indecent). People aren't going to listen to you otherwise, apparently. . .
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

nevermind. . . .

Honestly, probably not. And that to me is the danger of combining religion and politics. And yes, I base my votes partly because of my religious beliefs.

But these are religious leaders. I do not remember Jesus or Paul or anyone asking for decency from the Roman government. And I do not think they would endorse a "side" or candidate.
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

nevermind. . . .

Beccaboo, next time you post about decency here, make sure you are calling out democrats for their transgressions (and make a vague mention of how sometimes conservatives are indecent). People aren't going to listen to you otherwise, apparently. . .

That is a complete misrepresentation of what I posted. You are better than that. How would you react if Falwell asked for decency and singled out Hillary as being indecent? Just as wrong as the op imho.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

nevermind. . . .

That is a complete misrepresentation of what I posted. You are better than that. How would you react if Falwell asked for decency and singled out Hillary as being indecent? Just as wrong as the op imho.

If it was valid criticism of her, then I would agree with him. Disregarding valid criticism because of a bias against the source IS the problem.

What's your problem with the OP? You think Trump is decent and not deserving of the criticism? Or do you reject the criticism because those with political or social disagreements to Trump are not permitted to levy criticism? Does the bias of the source negate validity of the argument? If George Bush or Mitch McConell or the ghost of Ronald Regan had made the argument about Trump would you nod along and say "he's right!"

You disregarded the argument the second you saw the source. I think that's a problem and I think your better than that.
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

kurt vonnegut said:

nevermind. . . .

If it was valid criticism of her, then I would agree with him. Disregarding valid criticism because of a bias against the source IS the problem.

What's your problem with the OP? You think Trump is decent and not deserving of the criticism? Or do you reject the criticism because those with political or social disagreements to Trump are not permitted to levy criticism? Does the bias of the source negate validity of the argument? If George Bush or Mitch McConell or the ghost of Ronald Regan had made the argument about Trump would you nod along and say "he's right!"

You disregarded the argument the second you saw the source. I think that's a problem and I think your better than that.
I honestly did not even know who the three folks were until I looked them up. As I stated before, if you are really looking for decency and not conducting a partisan deal, you mention nobody. And are you honestly telling me that if you saw Falwell's name on something like this that you would not be cynical?

The religious left is just as bad as the religious right.

And fwiw, Trump is indecent. But so are the unmentioned dem pols not mentioned in the op. And we will never get decency when people play partisan games like the people in the op did.
UTExan
beccaboo said:

Oh come on. The political/theological baggage of the "right reverend" insures that the decency lecture is only reserved for one group. And when I saw "episcopal" my nonsense sensors went into overdrive.
ramblin_ag02
AG
What is decency except the social expectations of a local majority? Decent in Dallas and decency in NYC look different. As far I as can tell there is no such thing as universal decency
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
The left doesn't get to argue decency when it has essentially suborned the murder of millions of unborn humans, ever.
aggiedad20
beccaboo said:

There's nothing decent about referring to oneself as "reverend"...so try again ha
kurt vonnegut
AG

Quote:

And fwiw, Trump is indecent. But so are the unmentioned dem pols not mentioned in the op. And we will never get decency when people play partisan games like the people in the op did.

Why can't you admit Trump is indecent without also pointing out that democratic politicians are as bad or worse in the same sentence? Look, next time you post an article from someone like Jerry Falwell that points out indecency on the left and my response is "Fine, some on the left are indecent - but look at how bad the right is" . . . then you should call me out.

I should be able to hear a valid criticism of Hillary Clinton and not get on the defensive such that I am not willing to recognize that criticism until the condition of reciprocal criticism to the right is agreed upon and acknowledged. Same goes for the right and Trump.

Hillary was a snake. Her being a snake is not predicated on the actions and behavior of Trump or anyone else on the right.
88Warrior
Their problem is they tried to float this narrative out as if they were calling both sides out (which I totally agree with)...then their own biases and leanings got in the way and they couldn't help themselves by mentioning the President...That's where they lost me...
Zobel
AG

Quote:

"What those at the National Cathedral understand indeed, what their Christian faith teaches is that before pointing fingers, individuals ought to first ask themselves, "Is it I?" Do I accept hate-filled speech? Do I spread false narratives or exaggerated perceptions? Do I stand for truth and do so with kindness?
When does silence become complicity? What will it take for us all to say, with one voice, that we have had enough? The question is less about the president's sense of decency, but of ours."
Does not compute. This is a mockery of actual humility. This is asking people to look at themselves in order to judge others. Completely wrong. Completely backwards. The truth is to say - we should not judge, we should forgive and ask for forgiveness. We should repent.

That's why this is a farce, and a transparent political statement couched in Christian language.
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Quote:

Why can't you admit Trump is indecent without also pointing out that democratic politicians are as bad or worse in the same sentence? Look, next time you post an article from someone like Jerry Falwell that points out indecency on the left and my response is "Fine, some on the left are indecent - but look at how bad the right is" . . . then you should call me out.

I should be able to hear a valid criticism of Hillary Clinton and not get on the defensive such that I am not willing to recognize that criticism until the condition of reciprocal criticism to the right is agreed upon and acknowledged. Same goes for the right and Trump.

Hillary was a snake. Her being a snake is not predicated on the actions and behavior of Trump or anyone else on the right.

Because if as the op article states that you are truly looking for decency from both sides you do not just criticize one side.

Why can't you admit thy have an agenda and are biased? I can sure admit that about Falwell.
dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Quote:

Does not compute. This is a mockery of actual humility. This is asking people to look at themselves in order to judge others. Completely wrong. Completely backwards. The truth is to say - we should not judge, we should forgive and ask for forgiveness. We should repent.

That's why this is a farce, and a transparent political statement couched in Christian language.
Yep.
Macarthur
For the record, can you post a few examples of signicant political figures on the left being indecent?
dermdoc
AG
Sure. Bill Clinton, Barney Frank, Ted Kennedy. And add Anthony Weiner. And the guy from NY who lied about being in Vietnam.

The way Pelosi handled Obamacare was pretty bad. Hillary and her "deplorables". Obama and his folks clinging to guns and Bibles. And of course his lies about Obamacare. The Muslim congresslady and her anti Semitic remarks.

And edited to add constant unfounded(at least to me)shouts of racism, sexism, and xenophobia. Almost forget bigot which is one of the most misused words of all time.
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

For the record, can you post a few examples of signicant political figures on the left being indecent?

Do we consider dehumanizing language such as 'white privilege' and 'white fragility' examples too or would you contest that? It opens up the pool significantly...
dermdoc
AG
And this thread, as I have thought from the beginning, is not on the right forum imho.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

Sure. Bill Clinton, Barney Frank, Ted Kennedy. And add Anthony Weiner. And the guy from NY who lied about being in Vietnam.

The way Pelosi handled Obamacare was pretty bad. Hillary and her "deplorables". Obama and his folks clinging to guns and Bibles. And of course his lies about Obamacare. The Muslim congresslady and her anti Semitic remarks.

And edited to add constant unfounded(at least to me)shouts of racism, sexism, and xenophobia. Almost forget bigot which is one of the most misused words of all time.
Yes, all those things. The democratic leaders suck.

If Rush Limbaugh went on a tirade about how the Clinton's destroyed the life of an intern, I would agree with him despite his agenda and bias and the fact that I think he's a **** human being.

If you show me a video from Ann Coulter condemning Ted Kennedy for getting drunk and killing a woman. . . yeah, I'm going to agree despite that fact that Ann Coulter may just be the Anti-Christ. And I can even agree with her without offering any whataboutisms.

If you have some criticisms you want to share about Anthony Weiner for his inappropriate texts, man, I'm with you.

So again - Do you reject the criticism in the OP because those with political or social disagreements to Trump are not permitted to levy criticism? Does the bias of the source negate validity of the argument? If George Bush or Mitch McConell or the ghost of Ronald Regan had made the argument about Trump would you nod along and say "he's right!" Fine, the OP and the Washington National Cathedral have an agenda, that doesn't make them wrong.

And yes - I have an agenda and bias. It doesn't stop me from being able to acknowledge the many flaws from the left. And my acknowledge of those flaws to you does not hinge on the precondition that you also accept that the right has flaws.

dermdoc
AG
No, I reject the op article because they project themselves as non biased and then only call out Trump. I can say Trump is indecent and am happy to call him out for that. But for so called religious leaders to not acknowledge their bias stinks.

And only one side backs baby killing for the most part. Which is the most indecent thing to me.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

And only one side backs baby killing for the most part. Which is the most indecent thing to me.

Nah, both sides do. The difference is location and method. One side uses doctors and PP here. The other uses drones/war in foreign nations.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Nah, both sides do. The difference is location and method. One side uses doctors and PP here. The other uses drones/war in foreign nations.

Obama loved him some drones now.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Obama loved him some drones now.
Oh, you'll get no pushback from me on that. The # of bombs/drones used just seems to increase with each administration, regardless of party. War/killing is good for their business.

Number of bombs dropped per day/year,per the Pentagon:
Bush: 24 per day; 8,750 per year
Obama: 34 per day; 12,500 per year
Trump: 121 per day; 44,096 per year
Macarthur
AGC said:

Macarthur said:

Do we consider dehumanizing language such as 'white privilege' and 'white fragility' examples too or would you contest that? It opens up the pool significantly...
nope
Macarthur
dermdoc said:

You're not going to get any argument that the Clintons suck and Teddy skated by on his name, but Weiner went jail and the others, IMO, fall pretty short of the tone of what we're talking about today.
dermdoc
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

nope
See and that is the problem I have with libs. They can call somebody racist or talk about white privilege and are blind to the fact that those words are divisive.

My lib friends can not understand how I do not get more Upset with Trump's rhetoric when Dems say stuff that to me is just as bad. So we all have a bias. Which is fine.

My beef with the op is that those folks hide behind Christianity to hide their bias.
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

nope

Then perhaps it's time for a little self reflection on your part. Demographers and Democrats have reveled in population replacement and invented terms to grant themselves permission to ignore people on the basis of their skin. Indecency is not restricted to the GOP.
Macarthur
AGC said:

Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

nope

Then perhaps it's time for a little self reflection on your part. Demographers and Democrats have reveled in population replacement and invented terms to grant themselves permission to ignore people on the basis of their skin. Indecency is not restricted to the GOP.
No need to self reflect on this issue. I can give 10 pages on this thread of examples of white priviledge. The fact that you deny its existence is a huge part of the problem.
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

nope

No need to self reflect on this issue. I can give 10 pages on this thread of examples of white priviledge. The fact that you deny its existence is a huge part of the problem.

Like I said, unless you're willing to self reflect on indecency it's hard to give examples. You'll excuse or deny them all. I'm also going to intentionally Godwin the thread because I have no doubt Jews in Germany denied their privilege too. That's where societies go with this line of thought. Why not seize what someone won't give you? Why not silence those who disagree if you think it's obvious and inhibiting to progress? Why not just take guns instead of see if you're complicit in marginalizing young white men? It's easier than self reflection.

Also it leads to some odd catch 22s. If you're not white how do you know what white privilege is if you've never had it? If you are then how could you know what your privilege is because you're blind to it?
dermdoc
AG
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

nope

10 pages? From this thread? Got to be a psych major.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.