Anyone Following The Sparrow Conference Controversy

5,211 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cavscout96
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

She told the audience they should give up whiteness and "recover" the ethnic identities "your ancestors deliberately discarded." Rather than thinking of themselves as white, they should try to rediscover their immigrant cultural ancestry: "Are you Italian, are you Irish, are you Polish, are you Turkish?"

"Celebrate that," she said.
I tried, it swimmerbabe. I couldn't stand being English for more than an hour.
Repeat the Line
Looking at her blog, she is a proponent of BLM and supports Michael Brown and the fabricated "hands up, don't shoot" ordeal.
cavscout96
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I think thats an uncharitable way of interpreting her point. I don't think anyone should argue that your identity should be Christian first..but she is saying "white" as an identity is inherently divisive in a polarizing/negative way.

I'm not 100% sure I'm on board with her, but I think her words are being blown out of proportion
I approach this with a bit of skepticism. Identity priority, of any stripe, can be a short, slippery path to divisiveness and intersectional politics and an "us against them" instead of a "we/all of us" perspective.

Think of the density of European immigrant enclaves across the country. The Brazos Valley has the Czech and German influence, Boston has a huge Irish background, and the highest density of Poles outside Warsaw is in Chicago. It's also not a new thing. A century ago, these realities influenced marriages, business dealings, and range/turf wars

Even if that was not her intention, it can ultimately become a consequence of what she is proposing. It's hard to parse her words without being there or seeing a video for context. I'd say, lets all be Christians first, Americans (or Texans if you like) next. Then, if you want to put some emphasis on your ethnicity or culture, by all means celebrate it, but not from the perspective of better, worse, etc, but from a perspective of what it uniquely brings to the table.

My .02; YMMV
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.