Ismaili Centre coming to Houston

2,625 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dermdoc
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

An Ismaili Muslim cultural center is slated for a long-vacant parcel of land in the Montrose area, and the project's design team has now been chosen, according to a Feb. 7 press release from DLR Group|Westlake Reed Leskosky.
The Ismaili Council for the USA selected DLR Group|Westlake Reed Leskosky to lead the project's design alongside London-based design architect Farshid Moussavi and Virginia-based landscape architecture firm Nelson Byrd Woltz, which has a Houston office. DLR Group|WRL was formed in 2016 when the Cleveland-based firm joined DLR Group, which has an office in Houston. DLR Group|WRL and Farshid Moussavi Architecture previously collaborated on the Museum of Contemporary Art in Cleveland.
The new Ismaili Center in Houston will be at the southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose Boulevard, per the release. It's intended to "serve as a national hub for the social, cultural and intellectual activities of the Ismaili Muslim community," the release states. It will feature a Jamatkhana or prayer hall educational spaces, a social hall and several multipurpose meeting and conference spaces, per the release.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/02/07/design-team-selected-for-houston-ismaili-center-in.html

There are already six Ismaili Jamatkhanas (mosques) in Houston serving about 40,000 people, but this one fills a hole by serving all the yuppies and people who live in the city rather than Sugarland, Richmond, Pearland, or Cypress. Centers are different from Jamatkhanas in that they are much more multipurpose and community oriented rather than just being a prayer house, and they're far more open to the public because they're built with the purpose of being community and outreach centers.

This is what the Toronto center looks like, built recently:

inside the glass dome:

This is the recently built Tajikistan one:

inside:

This is the older one in Canada, in Burnaby (near Vancouver)

Inside:

swimmerbabe11
Quote:

southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose Boulevard,

That real estate is not cheap. Dang. It better be as pretty as some of the ones you posted.
canadiaggie
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Quote:

southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose Boulevard,

That real estate is not cheap. Dang. It better be as pretty as some of the ones you posted.
I hope so. The jamatkhana built in 2002-ish in Sugar Land was very nicely built, and the one in Plano is pretty as well, but I really don't want them to go too traditionalistic (unlikely in the USA) or too modernistic (much more likely to happen).

schmendeler
AG
gorgeous architecture
chimpanzee
I think this has been in the works for a very long time. I'm putting this in the "ambitious real estate project" category and will believe it when I see it, but it certainly has the potential to be a really cool to look at building in a prominent spot.

Maybe a counterweight to the intentionally odd looking Federal Reserve building nearby.
BMX Bandit
chimpanzee said:

I think this has been in the works for a very long time.
since 2006

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Muslim-center-planned-for-Allen-Parkway-1674829.php
bigtruckguy3500
I didn't realize there were that many of y'all in Houston. Although I guess a big chunk of the Muslims in my high school class were ismaili.
canadiaggie
AG
Bumping thread.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/home-design/article/Ismaili-Center-Houston-Muslim-Islam-16622519.php

chimpanzee
Good use of the property, looks nice.
dermdoc
AG
Looks beautiful

I guess no bar?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
canadiaggie
AG
dermdoc said:

Looks beautiful

I guess no bar?
Not unless rose cordial and falooda are your drinks of choice
dermdoc
AG
canadiaggie said:

dermdoc said:

Looks beautiful

I guess no bar?
Not unless rose cordial and falooda are your drinks of choice
Seriously, congrats my friend.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.