Freemasonry and the Belly of the Beast (Washington, DC)

7,648 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Highway6
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting 28 minute video on Freemasonry and its role in Washington, DC. Freemasonry seeks esoteric knowledge in a secret, ecumenical society, whereas the gospel of Jesus Christ is freely available to all. Here, two researchers elaborate on freemasonry and its place in DC.

https://www.skywatchtv.com/videos/the-role-of-freemasonry-inside-the-belly-of-the-beast/
Seamaster
AG
When Freemasonry was started it was published that they had an enemy. Guess who that enemy was?

Sapper Redux
canadiaggie
AG
Societies like the freemasons always fascinate me. I've always wanted the Isma'ilis to get the Ikhwan al-Safa back together
Duncan Idaho
More interesting is it's influence on Mormonism.

http://mit.irr.org/occultic-and-masonic-influence-in-early-mormonism
Orko
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

What's even more interesting than that...

Just kidding. I think it is also very strange how much Jewish Mysticism impacts and is baked into Free Masonry.
Remember, patriot, what they took from you. Your nation's identity, its religion, and its people are no more. Remember how we got here.
Sapper Redux
Orko said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Just kidding. I think it is also very strange how much Jewish Mysticism impacts and is baked into Free Masonry.

Jewish mysticism? Want to expand on that? Freemasonry came from early modern Scotland. Not many Jews in early modern Scotland.
UTExan
Duncan Idaho said:

Oh yes indeed. The ritual parallels are very interesting-and the cultic acquisition of hidden knowledge.
Demosthenes81
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Orko said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Jewish mysticism? Want to expand on that? Freemasonry came from early modern Scotland. Not many Jews in early modern Scotland.
One person's point of view:
http://www.themasonictrowel.com/Articles/apendent_bodies/scottiest/the_true_history_scottish_esoteric_masonry.htm
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Neon R
Dr. Watson said:

Orko said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Kabbalism
Sapper Redux
Neon R said:

Dr. Watson said:

Orko said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Kabbalism

I know what Jewish mysticism is. I'm skeptical of any influence it had on early modern and Enlightenment Scotland. The link provided was interesting, but I'm not very convinced. The sources are... unusual.
BrazosDog02
AG
Master Mason here.

Ahem....Freemasonry is not a secret. Well, not anymore, thanks for wrecking that!
UTExan
BrazosDog02 said:

Master Mason here.

Ahem....Freemasonry is not a secret. Well, not anymore, thanks for wrecking that!

I have had Masons in my family, too. I have prayed for the breaking of any generational curses brought about by their activities.
Sapper Redux
UTExan said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Master Mason here.

I have had Masons in my family, too. I have prayed for the breaking of any generational curses brought about by their activities.

Weird.
Beer Baron
AG
Sometimes this place reads like someone went back in time and gave medieval villagers access to the internet.
Sapper Redux
Beer Baron said:

Sometimes this place reads like someone went back in time and gave medieval villagers access to the internet.

A witch doth cursed my flock! Also, did you see John shart himself during the Passion play? Lol.
Texaggie7nine
If you ever have 4 hours to kill and don't mind crappy production value, these videos are the most well laid out presentations on how Masonry and older ideas have been embedded in the design of so many major cities all over the world and especially in the US I've ever seen. Many ideas I had never heard of before.

Also, this is not some religious take on it. These videos are about the actual facts and math behind the ideas and architecture.
7nine
UTExan
Beer Baron said:

You might want to reread Clifford Geertz' work Re: Local Knowledge.
Beer Baron
AG
No thanks. I heard it's known to enhance thetan levels.
Sapper Redux
UTExan said:

Beer Baron said:

Never took you for a fan of poststructuralist anthropology.
UTExan
Dr. Watson said:

UTExan said:

Beer Baron said:

Never took you for a fan of poststructuralist anthropology.

Never hurts to broaden one's horizons. OTOH, I could reference rational choice theory.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Orko
AG
Beer Baron said:

Nah, it isn't even remotely comparable. They wouldn't put up with nearly as much as we do today. I'm about as anti-modern as it gets and I'd only roll it back to around 1560 or so.

Remember, patriot, what they took from you. Your nation's identity, its religion, and its people are no more. Remember how we got here.
Eliminatus
AG
Isn't Freemasonry essentially in freefall with members?

I've looked into it in the past and am interested but fail to meet their requirements. Wonder if they will become more "lax" when membership hits critical levels?
Texaggie7nine
Eliminatus said:

I've looked into it in the past and am interested but fail to meet their requirements. Wonder if they will become more "lax" when membership hits critical levels?
You are female, or you are atheist?
7nine
Eliminatus
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Eliminatus said:

Atheist. Had a couple of friends that were members and how I first heard about it. Always been fascinated by it and after cursory examination into it ran into that pesky snag.
BrazosDog02
AG
Eliminatus said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Eliminatus said:

Atheist. Had a couple of friends that were members and how I first heard about it. Always been fascinated by it and after cursory examination into it ran into that pesky snag.

The good news is that in 2018, you could fix either of those snags. Obviously one may be a little easier and less invasive than the other....if you REALLY want in.

As for freefall, i wouldn't say that. Membership isn't what it once was but we have new apprentices quite often. I think it's a societal thing. It's a lot of work and there are meetings and they go out and do things for the community. I suspect most people just want to go to throw some money at their charity of choice and go home to watch the ball game. You also have dues if you aren't an endowed member so there is that as well.

I don't foresee any requirements being relaxed. Even as a young member I would never vote for that and neither would any other I know.
Orko
AG
Eliminatus said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Eliminatus said:

They don't need you, you've already been compromised. What would be the point?
Texaggie7nine
Whereas a Muslim, or Hindu, or Pagan have not?
7nine
UTExan
Why would anybody want to belong to a secret society which discriminates against non-members, has arcane rituals and justifies itself in the name of "community service'? I can do community service with the American Legion, which is composed of veterans, or with the Rotary Club. And that is exactly what I do.
Texaggie7nine
I'm surprised that the white nationalists do not start flocking to Masonry. Seems like it would be a perfect fit.

Overbearing tradition for no other sake than, "well it's always been that way, so we must fight to keep it that way".
7nine
Eliminatus
AG
Orko said:

Eliminatus said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Eliminatus said:

They don't need you, you've already been compromised. What would be the point?

Que? Compromised?
BrazosDog02
AG
UTExan said:

Why would anybody want to belong to a secret society which discriminates against non-members, has arcane rituals and justifies itself in the name of "community service'? I can do community service with the American Legion, which is composed of veterans, or with the Rotary Club. And that is exactly what I do.

That is not a question any man can answer on behalf of another man. You'll have to decide that for yourself or find a Freemason who is willing to share. I expect your efforts will be in vain if you open with such aggression and preconceived ideas. Many will not share such a deep personal decision under those circumstances.
diehard03
Quote:

Did I miss something tongue-in-cheek? It seems like both of these could be construed as having discrimination of non-members, rituals and justifies itself by "community service".
UTExan
BrazosDog02 said:

UTExan said:

That is not a question any man can answer on behalf of another man. You'll have to decide that for yourself or find a Freemason who is willing to share. I expect your efforts will be in vain if you open with such aggression and preconceived ideas. Many will not share such a deep personal decision under those circumstances.
It is not aggression. I have toured the local (Salt Lake) Masonic temple and have a friend deeply involved with them. Membership and identification with secret societies dedicated to protecting and promoting their own undercuts the integrity of social and public institutions because it compromises meritocracy. It is the same reason I oppose affirmative action on the basis of ethnicity.
diehard03
Quote:

Membership and identification with secret societies dedicated to protecting and promoting their own undercuts the integrity of social and public institutions because it compromises meritocracy.

From a societal perspective, there's value in identifying with people with similar views/values and desiring to promote them. it's very hard to ensure that you actually chose the one with the "highest merit" because you don't always know what someone may be. But, if you find someone who shares your values, it makes the risk of their actual performance lower. You may even accept a lower performance because of this.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.