Missionary dies trying to reach an isolated tribe

6,497 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by diehard03
DirtDiver
How long do you want to ignore this user?

So much Irony. How many questions like this have been asked poking at God "What about those who have never heard the gospel?" and now to ridicule a man willing to lay down his life in order to introduce these people to their Maker?

What's worse is the assumption that this guy could introduce a disease that would wipe out the entire population of the island. While that's a rare possibility the potential to introducing these people to life saving medicines like penicillin or malaria medicine is far greater.

Challenge: Go live in a missionary center in which you travel to remote tribes and observe how their introduction to Jesus and modern medicine has changed their lives. Read a missionary biography like "Peace Child" in all of it's blood and gore and then ask, are these people better off without Jesus?"

These men killed a complete stranger who was there to love and help them. What kind of darkness and slavery to fear must this tribe be living in?

14 Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He (Jesus) Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.
Post removed:
by user
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think the disease risk is a bit ridiculously overstated. It's not like actively sick people are going to be headed there. So that pretty easily rules out the smallpox, polio, malaria, influenza, SARS, and ebola scenarios. It's also relatively easy to check people for things like tuberculosis and hepatitis before having them go. The days of people acting as carriers for easily communicable and deadly diseases ended about 100 years ago.

So really we're just talking common viruses and bacteria. So enteroviruses and MRSA would probably be the big concerns, and those are all easily treatable and minor in otherwise healthy people. Unless they have immunodeficiency from all the inbreeding, in which case they'll all die soon enough anyway without proper care
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Enteroviruses are the sorts of things that can cause colds, gastroenteritis, or even no symptoms. Thing is, the immune system is almost specifically designed to protect against these. Maybe one in a thousand healthy people get pneumonia from a cold, and even that is even less rarely fatal. The only thing you need to stop gastroenteritis from killing anyone is replacement fluid. In other words, our medical knowledge and capability vastly outweighs the risk of disease transmission if even the most basic precautions are followed
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
You wouldn't get much if any generational resistance based on acquired immunity. But if 95% of people died may be the remaining 5% had some genetic feature that made them immune or resistant.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what actively infectious lethal disease yall think we are just carrying around on a daily basis? We have plenty of people on chemo or with AIDS and they get along just fine in public without getting lethal diseases all the time
ramblin_ag02
AG
Again, people with virtually no immune system do just fine in our society. We've vaccinated out nearly all the deadly and easily transmitted diseases. No one is carrying typhoid or smallpox to a small island in modern days. What is left is the same things you'd run into on vacation on a foreign continent. Mostly diarrhea which is a cinch to treat.

I was generally speaking to the point that we keep them isolated so they can be free of our diseases.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yeah. Our missionary probably wasn't in the mindset to make sure he was vaccinated and screened for latent diseases and completely symptom free for several days before heading over
canadiaggie
AG
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That being said, some of the abject glee I've seen online from the militant fedora-tipper wing of atheism is atrocious. No need to be happy that he died.

DirtDiver

Quote:

Why do you believe the disease risk is "rare"? I don't agree. I do agree that we should give them access to modern medicine. I don't think it was part of the guy's plan though. That seems like a general argument for bringing them into modern civilization, not a defense of the guy's actions.

I believe the risk is rare because I've experienced missionary life first hand in some of the most remote places on earth in central and south America. If you are sick, you don't go to the village or if you get sick while on a trip you practice precautions as you would if you were sick here with quarantine, medicine, or leaving until you are better.

Missionaries that are willing to risk their lives don't go in to an area just to make converts. They go to love people and meet whatever needs that they are able, however they often include risky introductions like this guy made. I'm afraid that words alone will may not be enough to convince you but I'm confident that if you spent time on a mission trip with a Christian organization, it would change your mind in an instant.

I just received a letter from a young linguist in a remote area around Australia. He's currently at the missionary center and has yet to venture out because he's of sickness however is still able to work..

excerpt
"The translator who was working with the Yade people recently passed away, and he left a box of tapes and notebooks full of data without much analysis of it. My work at the moment is to take his data, use it to figure out the mechanics of how Yade works, and write that up into a paper...I've been sick off and on since I've gotten here, and I've had about one solid week so far of actual normal workdays. It's made it hard to really get a sense of normalcy here - I still don't quite feel like I live here. I could use some prayer for my immune system to get used to the stuff that's around here, and that I could really settle into a decent routine before the centre's two-week Christmas shutdown."
gordo97
AG
Some more info about this tragic event

https://relevantmagazine.com/current/everything-you-need-to-know-about-missionary-john-chaus-death/
PacifistAg
AG
gordo97 said:

Some more info about this tragic event

https://relevantmagazine.com/current/everything-you-need-to-know-about-missionary-john-chaus-death/
Thanks for sharing that.
PacifistAg
AG
Another piece:
Quote:

Chau's intent -- according to others I've spoken with who knew him, went to school with him and helped him prepare -- was to live among the North Sentinelese, learn their language, attend to their physical needs and then seek to share his faith with them.

Quote:

According to reports published in several places, Chau prepared several years for this mission, including training as an EMT and in sports medicine, both functions that might be helpful in an isolated missions endeavor. Much of this new reporting shows that the North Sentinelese were a long-term focus for Chau.

Quote:

For example, when Jesus sent his disciples, he instructed them to pray and then go, while showing them how to honor the dignity and humanity of others' choices. He also sent his disciples out two by two. The Bible has much to say about the importance of teams and community. Teams bring collective discernment and provide a safeguard against unwise attempts at missionary endeavors. According to Ho, there was a team willing to go with Chau, but he chose to go alone.

Quote:

Both critics and supporters have compared Chau to Jim Elliot, a 20th-century Christian missionary who learned a native language, gathered a team of like-minded people and carefully planned to visit a remote Ecuadoran tribe. On Jan. 8, 1956, Elliot and four other Christian missionaries were, like Chau, killed by the people they were trying to reach.

There are certainly differences between Elliot and Chau, but what has really changed is our culture. People are much more negative about missions, partly because of mistakes that missionaries have made, such as colonialism, a lack of cultural awareness and more. But, for many critics, it is the core goal of conversion itself they object to.

Quote:

I grieve for John Chau and his family. He made his choices because he loved the North Sentinelese. You might see it as a waste. You might point out his mistakes, even after learning that he had worked hard to prepare for his mission.

But, as I write this, less than 100 feet away is a letter Jim Elliot wrote. As a Wheaton College graduate, he has a special place here. As Elliot wrote (and Chau experienced), "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Post removed:
by user
DirtDiver

Quote:

Still a strong Darwin Award candidate IMO
If this life is all there is then you are absolutely correct.

Jn 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Still a strong Darwin Award candidate IMO. All that planning and he gets immediately killed for obvious reasons in an obvious way.
I still wouldn't call that a 'Darwin Award candidate'. He knew exactly what the risks were and he was more than willing to assume that risk. His goal is eternal.
diehard03
Quote:

I still wouldn't call that a 'Darwin Award candidate'. He knew exactly what the risks were and he was more than willing to assume that risk. His goal is eternal.

Their point is that he did all this prep for various contingencies, and yet did nothing to mitigate the known and documented threat that they pose.
Frok
AG
The more I read about this the more impressed I am with his resolve. He sounds like he was genuine.

I just wish he didn't go in alone.

But now many more know about this tribe. This may just be the beginning.
chimpanzee
The Great Commission is compelling, but there's some element of "shaking the dust off of your feet" preemptively when greeted with weapons, no?
PacifistAg
AG
chimpanzee said:

The Great Commission is compelling, but there's some element of "shaking the dust off of your feet" preemptively when greeted with weapons, no?
I don't think so. They didn't kill him because they were rejecting the Gospel or because of what he was preaching. They killed him because he was an outsider. The case of Jim Elliot provides a great comparison, and I'm confident that one day this tribe will be reached, much like the Huaorani. I pray that Chau's life and sacrifice will provide inspiration for more who are called to the mission field to continue his work.
diehard03
Quote:

I think there's also a "respect the laws and authority" question as well. To me, it would be more cut and dry if he wasn't violating Indian law in the process.
JYDog90
AG
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-god-might-do-with-satans-arrows

On November 17, 2018, John Chau paddled his kayak toward the beaches of North Sentinel Island. Two days prior, he had attempted contact with the secluded community, but was eventually chased away by flying arrows. Chau had spent years planning, praying, and preparing to bring the gospel to the Sentinelese people. He was certain God had called him to go.

Not long after Chau arrived on the island, onlooking fisherman saw a group of the islanders dragging his lifeless body to be buried.

John Piper once wrote of another missionary martyred in a hostile field, "The whole point of [his] life is that there is something worse than death. So, he was willing to risk his own life to rescue others from something far worse. And he could risk his own life because he knew his own risking and dying would work for him 'an eternal weight of glory.'" John Chau took the same risk and paid the same price, with the same great hope.

The community's history of violence is well documented, and we may have some insight into why the people are so hostile to outsiders. In the 1880s, an English Royal Navy officer by the name of Maurice Vidal Portman made stops along the island chain to study the natives. He kidnapped six Sentinelese, an elderly couple and four children, which resulted in the couple quickly becoming sick and dying ("The Last Island of the Savages"). There are also less-substantiated reports of Portman's treatment that are perverse and grievous. The injustice suffered by the Sentinelese people by outsiders does not excuse their vengeance, but may help us to better understand it.

What Are You Doing, God?
[url=https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-god-might-do-with-satans-arrows#what-are-you-doing-god][/url]
Questions have emerged about John Chau's zeal, training, prudence, and legacy. But another even more important question sits under the surface of such a tragedy: What is God doing in all of this?

How is God working to reveal his glory to the Sentinelese people? Could he bring them forgiveness for their murder and freedom from their own pain? How will he bring healing to the heartbreak of the Chau family? Could our God be using injustice, arrows, and a fallen missionary to make his reconciling grace known to the entire world?

God has done it before through a strikingly similar story. On November 20, 1839, missionaries John Williams and James Harris sailed toward the coast of a small island called Erromango in the New Hebrides (modern day Vanuatu). They had been urged to avoid this island because the natives were rumored to be violent toward outsiders and even, on occasion, to cannibalize them. Williams and Harris, however, had seen God move on other islands, and believed he would continue his great work among these people.

They Prepared the Way
[url=https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-god-might-do-with-satans-arrows#they-prepared-the-way][/url]
Though they knew the danger, they were unaware that the Erromango community had recently been provoked by an attack at the hands of outsiders. Weeks prior to their arrival, an Australian sandalwood trader had brutally murdered two boys, the sons of a local chief. As a result, the community had resolved to violently oppose any white-skinned outsiders ("Erromango: Cannibals and Missionaries on the Martyr Isle").

Only minutes after stepping onto the shore, Williams and Harris were attacked with clubs, killed, and eaten by the islanders as part of a sacred ritual. Word quickly spread of their fate, and many accused the missionaries of foolish zeal and of imposing foreign standards upon unwilling communities living in "primitive bliss" (The Greatest Century of Missions, 83).

The mission of the men had ended, but God's sovereignly guided story had just begun.

Twenty Years Later
[url=https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-god-might-do-with-satans-arrows#twenty-years-later][/url]
Roughly twenty years later, another missionary named John G. Paton set sail with his family to take the gospel to the people of Erromango. Moved with compassion for their souls, Paton was convinced that God was at work, even through the martyrdom of Williams and Harris.

This conviction proved true, as the Lord used Paton's ministry to help many of the people of Vanuatu embrace the grace, healing, and forgiveness of Jesus. In his autobiography, Paton later wrote of his forerunners' martyrdom, "Thus were the New Hebrides baptized with the blood of martyrs; and Christ thereby told the whole Christian world that He claimed these islands as His own" (John G. Paton, 75). To this day, faith in Christ is thriving on this island once filled with pain and anger.

Evidence of God's enduring grace toward them was displayed in a reconciliation ceremony held on November 20, 2009. On the same beach where missionary John Williams was killed, some 170 later, his great-great grandson and seventeen other family members stood with the descendants of the islanders who killed him. The islanders gathered to ask forgiveness and celebrate the forgiveness and reconciliation that only Christ can bring. The president of the Republic of Vanuatu said, "Since we are a Christian nation it is very important that we have a reconciliation like this." The BBC covered this story and produced a three-minute video that is well worth your time.

Forgiveness for All Peoples
[url=https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-god-might-do-with-satans-arrows#forgiveness-for-all-peoples][/url]
As I have considered these events, I can't help but wonder if God is doing something similar through the events of recent days. We know that God's aim in history is to magnify his glory through the joy of all peoples in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Chau knew it too. Just hours before he died, he wrote in his journal, "I hope this isn't one of my last notes but if it is 'to God be the Glory.'" To God be the glory among all the people groups in all the world. This is why Jesus left heaven's glory to warn us of the coming judgment and to offer salvation to any who will believe (John 3:1620).

But mankind, like the Sentinelese and Erromango peoples, did not receive the truth-bringing messenger (John 1:1114). In fact, we so hated Jesus's message that we tortured him to death through crucifixion (John 19:137). Yet the scandalous message of the Bible is that Jesus intentionally laid down his life for his people and rose from the dead to offer forgiveness and fullness of joy to all who believe in him.

Do It Again, God
[url=https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-god-might-do-with-satans-arrows#do-it-again-god][/url]
We cannot know for sure what God is doing. But might he be stoking the hearts of his church with a fresh fire to reach the unreached peoples of the world? Could God be using the death of John Chau to stir the souls of more missionaries to take the good news of Jesus to the Sentinelese people? Could he be stirring you? Is it possible that God might be working to bring them the message of forgiveness for killing the missionary as well as healing from the injustice done to them generations ago? Could God be plotting a reunion of forgiveness in months, years, even centuries from now that will magnify his mercies before the world? Can you picture that moving ceremony on the shores of North Sentinel Island?

John Piper's call from five years ago in the wake of another martyred missionary is just as relevant today: "I call thousands of you to take [their] place. Let the replacements flood the world. We do not seek death. We seek the everlasting joy of the world including our enemies."

God can spark a movement from a martyrdom. He's done it before. Let's pray he's doing it again.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

God can spark a movement from a martyrdom.
Would Chau be considered a 'martyr'? They didn't kill him because of his faith. They killed him because he was on their island. Now, I guess one could say he died for his faith because his faith is what brought him to the island, but I wouldn't say that's why he was killed (at least from the Sentinelese perspective).
Frok
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Would Chau be considered a 'martyr'? They didn't kill him because of his faith. They killed him because he was on their island. Now, I guess one could say he died for his faith because his faith is what brought him to the island, but I wouldn't say that's why he was killed (at least from the Sentinelese perspective).

I'm comfortable calling him a martyr. Sure the Sentinelese didn't specifically kill him for his faith but he died in an attempt to share the faith. I also think this tribe is more likely to be reached with the gospel now than it was before due to the press coverage he brought to the situation.
PacifistAg
AG
I can see that with regards to calling him a martyr. And absolutely agree about the increased chances of this tribe being reached. Oh, what a glorious day that will be!
kurt vonnegut
AG
Frok said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

I'm comfortable calling him a martyr. Sure the Sentinelese didn't specifically kill him for his faith but he died in an attempt to share the faith. I also think this tribe is more likely to be reached with the gospel now than it was before due to the press coverage he brought to the situation.

I think if the coverage brings more missionaries to the island, they will continue to feel threatened. That's what I don't get about the praise being thrown on him. He went to a known hostile tribe that doesn't speak English. From their perspective, he was an intruder that was shouting nonsense at them. This guy might as well have tried to go preach to an active volcano.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Well, slight point of order. Volcanoes not only can't speak English, as far as I know they can't even learn it, despite repeated efforts to teach them. Also, although hell may be full of volcanoes, I seriously doubt that heaven will have a one. Thus, it makes little sense to try to evangelize volcanoes.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down there. You don't even need plate tectonics to get a volcano, only a liquid mantle. Once the core and mantle solidify planets are considered dead, and there is no death in heaven. Therefore heaven will definitely have volcanoes and they will be awesome
Frok
AG
Quote:

That's what I don't get about the praise being thrown on him. He went to a known hostile tribe that doesn't speak English. From their perspective, he was an intruder that was shouting nonsense at them. This guy might as well have tried to go preach to an active volcano.

His plan was to spend extended time with them to where he could learn their language and then share the gospel with them. In theory if he had been successful he would have spent some significant time there before really going into detail about his message.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.