Authentic Masculinity vs Toxic Masculinity

4,460 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I think there's folks in here who are parsing their words.

On the other hand, by inspection I think that both of my statements are true and people would ignore them as true to their own detriment.

The fact that the modern demands on our physiology have changed does not undermine that those differences in physiology are still very much there.

For example, young men are generally no longer warriors, and survival is only rarely contingent upon strength, endurance, and wiles. But we are still quite a bit physically larger and stronger than females, and have a different set of biological imperatives wired into us by our hormones.

In other words, our societal demands have changed the relative utility of our physiological differences. So what once was a wholly rational and logical system - men would go do the dirty, dangerous work; women would raise children; because young women are more functionally more valuable than young men - now is looked at as an 'extreme exaggeration'.

Erroneously looked at that way, I might add. You ever had a girl really mad at you and genuinely try to hit you or hurt you? On average, a woman in a physical confrontation with a man is a joke. Even the extremes of the bell curves hardly overlap (see any sporting event for ample evidence of this).

I think what could make AstroAg's sentence true is to say they are an outdated expression of the social utility of the differences between sexes. But the differences have not changed, only their relative worth.
Ulrich
schmendeler said:

I say, be yourself, but don't be dick.
...so which is it?
schmendeler
AG
Ulrich said:

schmendeler said:

I say, be yourself, but don't be dick.
...so which is it?

Ouch!
Ulrich
DaBaba
k2aggie07 said:

Curious - true or false:

In general, a man will be more suited to working out of the home, and a woman will be more suited to staying home with the children.

True, but not because of any biological or inherent traits. As a society this is generally how our culture grooms us to do things.
Zobel
AG
So, what, it's just a massive coincidence that every human society since time immemorial operates this way?
Ulrich
DaBaba said:

k2aggie07 said:

Curious - true or false:

In general, a man will be more suited to working out of the home, and a woman will be more suited to staying home with the children.

True, but not because of any biological or inherent traits. As a society this is generally how our culture grooms us to do things.
No biological traits relevant to staying home with children? How about the fact that women's bodies literally produce baby food?
Zobel
AG
DaBaba
Well played. Being a thread about masculinity I was thinking more about the wimmenz shouldn't work crowd. With young children breastfeeding they have an advantage.
Star Wars Memes Only
k2aggie07 said:

Not sure I've ever seen a meme more aptly used.
Ulrich
dargscisyhp said:

k2aggie07 said:

Not sure I've ever seen a meme more aptly used.
BrazosDog02
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Curious - true or false:

I'm going with True.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.