Is adultery a sin?

3,608 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by playoverruled
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is adultery a sin?

Defined as having sexual relations outside of marriage (before marriage) or with somebody else other than your spouse when married.
dds08
AG
You cannot be serious.
PacifistAg
AG
I'm guessing this is a setup and the real subject has to do with homosexuality.
Seamaster
AG
I am completely serious.

Because it's right out in the open within some communities.

Is it a sin if it's ok with the other spouse(es)?

https://www.advocate.com/books/2017/6/29/gay-marriage-monogamy-and-lure-open-relationships

Since we're re-writing all the rules, maybe it's time adultery is put into the category of not a sin too.

Lots of great biblical exegesists on this forum. What say you?
PacifistAg
AG
There it is.
Seamaster
AG
Lots of professing Christians on this forum who like to dive into exegesis and Greek.

What say you guys?

Is adultery still a sin? Gay "marriage" is obviously biblical. So, what now if the majority of gay "marriages" that are open on as Dan Savage says "monogamish?"

It's an open secret in the gay community. That article from the Advocate is straight from the horses mouth.

Is that kind of adultery ok now?

Post removed:
by user
Seamaster
AG
Odd that nobody is answering the question. I guess talking about adultery is taboo now that the majority of gay couples practice it openly...

Oops.
jkag89
There are many "marriages" recognized by the state that I do not consider as sacramental. I place same sex unions in this category. As such I see adultery in such unions as legal matter not a sin.

An aside: Why should I get more upset about gay couples that have "open marriages" than straight couples with such arrangements?
Seamaster
AG
jk.

Adultery is just a legal matter?

I thought you were Catholic.

And, I never said I was more upset about gay adultery than hetero.
Seamaster
AG
And here is the deal - if you are a Christian that thinks homosexuality is perfectly in accordance with your faith and biblical, you either have to adopt a relaxed view towards adultery (it's not a sin) or maybe you should try to help your gay friends understand that monogamy is God's design.

Torbush
jkag89
Seamaster said:

jk.

Adultery is just a legal matter?

I thought you were Catholic.
I am, but I do not see same sex unions as true sacramental marriages. I simply view them as legal contracts recognized by the state, not by the Church.. If they are not real marriages in the sacramental sense how is adultery in such unions any more of a sin than what is already occurring?
Quote:

And, I never said I was more upset about gay adultery than hetero.
Than why raise the issue the way you did?
Seamaster
AG
"they are not real marriages in the sacramental sense how is adultery in such unions any more of a sin than what is already occurring?"

Ok. Got you. But it's still adultery.

My point in raising it is that yesterday I saw some threads on TexAgs where quite a few professing Christians were trying to justify homosexuality and homosexual marriage as biblical and were tying themselves in knots.

My question here is for those folks.

If they believe homosexual marriage is biblical, what do they think about adultery. If adultery is a sin then they should tell their gay friends. But that won't happen.
Torbush
Post removed:
by user
jkag89
And how prevalent do you believe "open marriages" are in the gay community? I have no idea if the thought process presented in the article you linked is prevalent as a whole or is a rather small percentage.
Seamaster
AG
JK.

It's the majority. By far.

They have a word for it. "Monogamish."

Look up Dan Savage. Really smart guy - a gay commentator. He's brutally honest about it.

I don't know the percent but it's over 60% (at best) that don't practice monogamy exclusively.

Lesbians aren't as high of a % as gay men.
Torbush
jkag89
AstroAg17 said:

What's the Catholic view of non-catholic marriages? For example, will I be committing adultery once married?
I think you are reading more into my post than I meant. No I do not believe if you get married outside the Catholic Church that you are committing adultery by having sex with your spouse.

That is my short answer, currently I do not have the time now to write out a clear and concise response beyond this.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
jkag89
I did not take it as such, I just think you were reading into my post(s) more than was intended. I would write a better answer to your question but I found when I tried to made a quick response to questions in the past they were often misconstrued. Now I try to avoid posting on this board unless I have the time to write precise responses (especially when asked about a position that is beyond just my own).
Post removed:
by user
dds08
AG
Seamaster said:

Is adultery a sin?

Defined as having sexual relations outside of marriage (before marriage) or with somebody else other than your spouse when married.

Why ask us if it's a sin when you can get the best answer from the one who decides what righteousness is and what it is not?

He can give you the perfect answer.

Quote:

James 1:5-8 New International Version (NIV)

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

You don't have to worry about Him sugar coating it nor worry about Him just telling you what you want to hear.
Zobel
AG
I don't know about the Roman church, they sometimes get really rigorous on stuff that doesn't appear to need to be.

I'd look at it this way - the Church is the guardian of the mysteries or sacraments, what we understand as means to receive grace. And in the church these things are guaranteed. Marriage is one of them, as is baptism, confession, etc. (Orthodoxy doesn't recognize any limited number unlike Rome). In the Church they are guaranteed, in that sense, but that doesn't suggest that grace is exclusively found in the liturgical practice of the church.

I would say that when a person is married outside the church - if it is a marriage in the traditional sense (what we understand to be sanctioned and blessed by God) - there is grace there. What the grace or mystery of marriage is, in my understanding, is the means to continue in the virtue of chastity. Anyone who participated in this virtue participates in grace, just as a person who practices chastity, humility, justice, or courage outside of the norm of the church do so. Good is always good, and it only has one source.
747Ag
AG
Observation: Christianity in the public sphere these days has morphed into a push to enforce certain moral principles rather than encouraging discipleship. The cart is before the horse.
Seamaster
AG
Quote:

Observation: Christianity in the public sphere these days has morphed into a push to enforce certain moral principles rather than encouraging discipleship. The cart is before the horse.
How can we be disciples and not talk about sin?

Sin. You know. That thing that Christ died on the cross to save us from.
Torbush
747Ag
AG
Seamaster said:

Quote:

How can we be disciples and not talk about sin?

Sin. You know. That thing that Christ died on the cross to save us from.
Then preach that. How can we make disciples when our starting point is to point out everything that is wrong rather than engaging people and introducing them to Jesus? The thrust of Christianity today in the public sphere is abortion, gays, and everything else that is bad (including the BSA) , but Jesus is not heard from their lips. His gospel is not preached. Why should we expect someone that does not share our faith to accept moral precepts derived therein? Bring them to Jesus. Bring them to the Church. The horror for sin will follow.
Win At Life
AG
Seamaster said:

Is adultery a sin?

Two questions about your definition of adultery.

Please find a scripture that says sex with a woman who is neither betrothed to another man nor married to another man is defined as adultery.

Second, please provide a scripture that describes what ceremony, actions or professions are required to create a valid biblical marriage.

Thanks
Beer Baron
AG
Is there ever a minute of your day where you're not thinking of what some men do to each other sexually?
Beer Baron
AG
Seamaster said:

JK.

It's the majority. By far.

They have a word for it. "Monogamish."

Look up Dan Savage. Really smart guy - a gay commentator. He's brutally honest about it.

I don't know the percent but it's over 60% (at best) that don't practice monogamy exclusively.

Lesbians aren't as high of a % as gay men.
"I don't know the percentage but it's definitely higher than this percentage I'm making up on the spot and this other group has a lower percentage that I also don't know but it's definitely lower."

Line up and wait 18L
Seamaster said:

Is adultery a sin?

Is the pope Catholic?
Seamaster
AG
Quote:

Then preach that. How can we make disciples when our starting point is to point out everything that is wrong rather than engaging people and introducing them to Jesus? The thrust of Christianity today in the public sphere is abortion, gays, and everything else that is bad (including the BSA) , but Jesus is not heard from their lips. His gospel is not preached. Why should we expect someone that does not share our faith to accept moral precepts derived therein? Bring them to Jesus. Bring them to the Church. The horror for sin will follow.

Maybe you live under a rock but our culture is frankly under attack. Children are being taught in our schools that homosexuality and transgenderism is normative - just as healthy and normal as everything else. We Christians have a duty to clearly articulate truth.

When our culture is so very confused and its affecting our future and our children, all the more important to preach the truth that is in opposition to this very clear assault.

Torbush
Seamaster
AG
Beer Baron.

You disagree then? Your experience in the gay community is that couples are monogamous? Really?

Are you being honest?

Do you want me to publish more straight from the homosexual mainstream on this topic?

Torbush
Seamaster
AG
Answer the question first, Win at Life.

Is adultery a sin?

You define adultery if you disagree with my definition and we'll go from there.

Torbush
Beer Baron
AG
Some are, some aren't. Most I don't have any idea about because it's none of my (or your) business, so unlike you I'm not going to make up a percentage.

Also, Dan savages column and show have straight participants too. There isn't anything the scary gays do that the pious straights don't do too.
Seamaster
AG
Yes Beer Baron.

Is there ever a minute where the truth of human sexuality as a gift from God foe one man and one woman in the covenant of matrimony is under attack in this country?

Do you deny that LGBTQ + ideology is constantly thrown in our faces in the public sphere?

Do you deny that efforts are being made to now teach homosexual propaganda to our children in schools? Need some real world stories on that? Want to hear about parents in our state's capital that are being denied access to the sex ed curriculum that was designed by homosexual lobbyists?

Stop suing bakers and florists and forcing hard core progressive gender ideology down our children's throats and maybe we won't talk about it as much.

Torbush
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.